PDA

View Full Version : Ayrton Senna's Death was good for F1...

Trevor Longman
10-21-09, 07:12 PM
At least according to Bernie Ecclestone. :shakehead

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/21/in-bad-taste-ecclestone-calls-sennas-death-good-for-f1/

Yeah well I'm sure his death would do wonders for the sport as well...

pchall
10-21-09, 07:40 PM
What would have been better was Senna schooling Herr Buttmacher week in and week out in the mid and late 90s.

Sean Malone
10-21-09, 07:44 PM
Immediately following the race, race winner Michael Schumacher said that "if anything good could come from this...hopefully this will make F1 safer". Subsequently, car designs changed to better protect the drivers head etc so 'good' things did come in the form of safety improvements.

Ecclestone just doesn't know how to speak.

Trevor Longman
10-21-09, 07:46 PM
But he specifies his reasons for why it was good for F1 and all he could come up with was that it attracted new fans.

cameraman
10-21-09, 07:48 PM
The troll wasn't speaking of safety issues, he was speaking of the "any news is good news" increase in press coverage of the sport in response to his death.

As I've said before, cancer is too good for him.:irked:

Fio1
10-21-09, 09:15 PM
Well at the end of the day, no one here is going to tell me that the death of Dale Earnhardt has not been an overall positive thing for Nascar. The popularity of the sport sky rocketed after that. The ratings went through the f***ing roof after Daytona 2001.

Same thing I guess? But, I don't personally think so. I think F1 was more popular in the late 80's, but the world economy improved in the lat 90's and places like China, Malaysia, and the middle east etc were able to pay big money for F1 races. The only countries that saw an improvement in the late 90's were Finland and Germany, everywhere else it went down before going back up around 2002-2003. But, to the true F1 fan; F1 died in 94 and has just been reborn in 2005-2006 or 2007. The whole Schumacher era sucked IMO and I'd rather forget all about it.

Sean Malone
10-21-09, 10:14 PM
The troll wasn't speaking of safety issues, he was speaking of the "any news is good news" increase in press coverage of the sport in response to his death.

As I've said before, cancer is too good for him.:irked:

That link didn't have much of a 'quote' and it was on a gag, blog.

STD
10-21-09, 10:30 PM
But, to the true F1 fan; F1 died in 94 and has just been reborn in 2005-2006 or 2007. The whole Schumacher era sucked IMO and I'd rather forget all about it.

1993 - 2009 This true fan has seen F1 fall off and survive only do to it's rich history. Hopes for a fresh start as a main contributer to that devaluing leaves the stage.

cameraman
10-22-09, 03:07 PM
That link didn't have much of a 'quote' and it was on a gag, blog.

He was unfortunate. But the generated publicity was so much... It was good for Formula 1.
and

It is a pity that we had to lose to Ayrton, but it happened. The actual event interested so much people who did not know about this sport and gained interest in Formula One because of it.

High Sided
10-22-09, 06:17 PM
i remember that day, awaking and watching senna die from my hospital bed at duke university. that was the day before i went 13 hrs under the knife in my spinal cord to hopefully be rid of the phantom pain in my right arm sustained from a motorcycle racing injury the year before. sadly senna died and i'm still suffering from the phantoms of 1993.

oddlycalm
10-22-09, 07:37 PM
Saw this elsewhere early in the week. :yuck: Too bad Slavica didn't pound him into the ground on her way out the door.

oc

Cam
10-23-09, 08:29 PM
I am still numb from that day. Bernie is a tactless ****. :irked:

pchall
10-23-09, 10:42 PM

**** is too nice a word for him

Indy
10-24-09, 05:34 PM

And that is the least of his problems.

eiregosod
10-26-09, 06:59 AM
Bernie must only be able to afford some seriously low quality coke these days.

is he tony gorge in disguise?