PDA

View Full Version : in case you are bored.....

High Sided
10-20-09, 04:29 PM
heres........................
http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/danica5.html

Chief
10-20-09, 05:57 PM
And, seeing as you are sick of that overhyped POS......contrast and compare with this:

ZaBexPSZGWg

(kudos to Indy for finding this gem elsewhere, even if it's being used as some sort of weird IRL propaganda now. The IRL sucks, this video is all the proof you would ever need, AND it was produced almost 14 years ago. Tony George, go off yourself).

High Sided
10-20-09, 06:12 PM
those were the days, look at that crowd, look at those cars, remember those drivers!!

those were the days

Gnam
10-20-09, 06:17 PM
Seeing the Danica on Letterman, made me laugh. What if Rahole was forced to take all the abuse for being her sugar daddy, when it was Dave the whole time. :laugh:

Chief
10-20-09, 06:57 PM
I just watched it en-total...wow. Just unbelievable racing at the end. Unbelievable. :(

devilmaster
10-20-09, 07:13 PM
i remember that race well. Greg Moore's rookie race. Woulda coulda shoulda if he didn't get that stop and go penalty....

Impressed by the video quality.

I'm beyond hate. don't care now, but the racin back then is neat to watch. sorta like lookin at an old photo album that once done, i'll put away for a couple years and then pull it out again.

devilmaster
10-20-09, 07:29 PM
on another topic, did they remove most of the former Cart videos that they had had on their website?

High Sided
10-20-09, 08:07 PM
i've watched that 3 times already, not quite sure but it seems to be just about everything i miss :cry:

nrc
10-20-09, 08:09 PM
I really can't bare to watch the old races these days. It just makes me ill. I hope maybe someday I can enjoy seeing them again but I don't see it happening any time soon. :cry:

Elmo T
10-20-09, 08:40 PM
Makes me miss the old Nazareth days. :(

TravelGal
10-20-09, 08:43 PM
Seeing the Danica on Letterman, made me laugh. What if Rahole was forced to take all the abuse for being her sugar daddy, when it was Dave the whole time. :laugh:

Jeez, wouldn't that be something. :laugh: I never could see even her being desperate enough to slide up to Rathole. The king of waxy creepy. Dave's no bargain either, of course.

I really can't bare to watch the old races these days. It just makes me ill. I hope maybe someday I can enjoy seeing them again but I don't see it happening any time soon. :cry:

That's where I am. I wish I could watch those old races but I can't bring myself to do it yet. I was lucky to go to 2 or 3 or 4 a year, depending on the year. I remember those. The time in pits, the hospitality, meeting SPICOLI (!), the whole atmosphere. That's enough for now.

SteveH
10-20-09, 09:05 PM

Same here, I get so pissed off that its not worth it. Maybe years from now I can enjoy it. But probably not.

cameraman
10-20-09, 09:10 PM
I don't know why but I rarely if ever watch a race a second time. If I know who won, then I lose interest. That has always been the case for me.

Indy
10-20-09, 09:20 PM
Thanks for posting it here, Chief. Funny how I can just slip back into it, forgetting where I am, completely happy. Then I remember, and all I have is hate. :mad:

Chief
10-20-09, 10:22 PM
I've faced the demons haunting me and they don't haunt me anymore. Frankly, I watch these old races with pride, and surprisingly the one above had me right where I remember it best....on the edge of my seat amazed at the brilliance of the men and series that raced then.

I believe the product displayed above to be so far superior to anything around these days it's like watching a futurama display at a mid-20th century worlds fair compared to the reality of today's IRL. And it was fun.

Don't deprive yourselves of good old fashioned fun, friends. Celebrate it's existence and your part in it. There was about 420 races and I don't remember all of them....but I'm having a blast seeing them again. :thumbup:

Lux Interior
10-20-09, 10:28 PM
One of my fondest memories:thumbup:

orKHkYUy02Y

Lux Interior
10-20-09, 10:36 PM
Just watching that video with Tracy v. Mansell. How did we get from there to where we are today? AAAARRRRGGGHHHH! It's killin me....:thumdown:

G.
10-20-09, 11:00 PM
What really pisses me off, is the g.'s just start getting old enough to take to races, then CART folds, the CC.

I could handle the diminished CC, since I was there with my race buddy, and there was hope (however slim) to someday become great again.

Now it's beyond hope. Whatever the **** "it" is.

chop456
10-20-09, 11:01 PM
How did we get from there to where we are today?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/bruce_martin/05/27/Tony_George/tony-george.jpg

:tony::tony::tony:

Trevor Longman
10-21-09, 12:02 AM

I'm not THAT bored...

miatanut
10-21-09, 01:10 AM
I don't know why but I rarely if ever watch a race a second time. If I know who won, then I lose interest. That has always been the case for me.

I've always enjoyed all the little battles in the field, and I can enjoy a great pass more than once. Who won is usually secondary for me.

Napoleon
10-21-09, 09:10 AM
Yep, IndyCar really needed fixing.

mueber
10-21-09, 01:40 PM
I'm 53 years old. This is the first year since I was at most 16 that I haven't attended an auto race somewhere. There was, to be fair, a sprint car race at Winchester I would have attend if it wasn't my father's 78th birthday. However, the state of American auto racing saddens me to the point that I generally do not care.

Obviously, part of the problem is the economy, but a booming economy won't make the IRL anything more than a semi-pro series established assure the owners of the Speedway that they are the center of the world.

Open wheel and sports car racing need someone who puts the fans first, let's hope someone steps up.

Rosco
10-21-09, 07:33 PM
I have not attended any race this year, I have not missed the races, in the past I would always attend Manzanitta 10/12 times each year, three years ago I gave up my top row seats that I had for over 12 years as racing there became just racing, I always attended the CRA events as they had action in their races. Hope to attend the Indy Sprint Speed week this next year.

NismoZ
10-21-09, 09:05 PM
Ahhh...Cleveland. 7 wide! 7 wide!:D (of course 7 didn't come OUT of the corner.)

pchall
10-22-09, 05:08 AM
Ahhh...Cleveland. 7 wide! 7 wide!:D (of course 7 didn't come OUT of the corner.)

The gomers always tried to laugh about that turn at Cleveland. But it was always because they envied drivers in cars in races that meant that much to run that hard into Turn 1. F**k them for supporting a douche and his series that denied us all more of that.

Andrew Longman
10-22-09, 03:09 PM
...look at that crowd, look at those cars, remember those drivers!!

Listen to those turbos. Listen to them feather the throttle through the turns. Look at those four distinct, relatively flat turns at Homestead before they screwed it up. See how traffic effects the race. Different tires, engines, chassis. Established veterans and young guns. Sell out crowd.

Sigh

How did TG think this was broken?

cameraman
10-22-09, 03:10 PM
How did TG think this was broken?

Kinda simple really, he wasn't in charge.

Napoleon
10-22-09, 03:13 PM
Kinda simple really, he wasn't in charge.

Funny how that worked out for him in the end.

cameraman
10-22-09, 03:29 PM
Funny how that worked out for him in the end.

Not very funny actually.

Andrew Longman
10-22-09, 03:44 PM
Not very funny actually.

Only because he failed to heed Eastwood's advice about knowing your limitations. Getting out from your own ego and tending to the needs and wants of other stakeholders (like his sisters, owners, drivers, manufacturers, sponsors, trackowners, etc. ) was never something TG was inclined to devote much imagination to.

Napoleon
10-22-09, 04:37 PM
Only because he failed to heed Eastwood's advice about knowing your limitations.

I am constantly amazed at how many people end up being their own worst enemies (and in a lot of ways that could be applied to me).

cameraman
10-22-09, 04:46 PM
I am constantly amazed at how many people end up being their own worst enemies. Maybe so but in this case he ****ed it up for a few million other people too.:irked:

Fio1
10-22-09, 10:59 PM
There was nothing better then mid-90's CART. It's so f***ing sad what happened. :shakehead To take something so good and make so s**ty is just plain wrong. :saywhat:

Indy
10-23-09, 12:57 AM
It's no mystery. It's ****ing evil.

Like Bernie Madoff. There is no justifying it. Madoff should be publicly tortured to death for being a totally depraved, evil soul. There is no saving him, no redemption, just a human being who chose evil.

Just like Tony.

stroker
10-23-09, 02:34 PM
It's no mystery. It's ****ing evil.

Like Bernie Madoff. There is no justifying it. Madoff should be publicly tortured to death for being a totally depraved, evil soul. There is no saving him, no redemption, just a human being who chose evil.

Just like Tony.

Well, that's a smidge hyperbolic, ol' buddy... I'd say TG chose STUPID over evil. At least he was generally spending his family's money and not the money of thousands of people who placed their cash in his hands on faith...

but you're right about Madoff. To the Shark Tank!

miatanut
10-23-09, 02:55 PM
Well, that's a smidge hyperbolic, ol' buddy... I'd say TG chose STUPID over evil. At least he was generally spending his family's money and not the money of thousands of people who placed their cash in his hands on faith...

but you're right about Madoff. To the Shark Tank!

Tony caused thousands of working class people to lose their jobs.

I think that's pretty serious.

Steve99
10-23-09, 03:54 PM
The gomers always tried to laugh about that turn at Cleveland. But it was always because they envied drivers in cars in races that meant that much to run that hard into Turn 1. F**k them for supporting a douche and his series that denied us all more of that.

Imagine if the IRL ran there with Barnhart as the the race director. On the first lap the cars would go through Turn 1 single-file with about 100 foot gaps between them.

Napoleon
10-23-09, 04:06 PM
I'd say TG chose STUPID over evil.

I would think it was more along the lines of something that came naturally to him and not so much a choice.

pchall
10-23-09, 05:20 PM
I would think it was more along the lines of something that came naturally to him and not so much a choice.

There is a very large FIG fore that.

stroker
10-23-09, 07:25 PM
Tony caused thousands of working class people to lose their jobs.

I think that's pretty serious.

No denying it's serious--I'd agree 100% with you on that, but maybe it's just me. I take the word "evil" pretty literally... I just don't see it on the same level as maliciously stealing thousands of people's life savings. If you called it picking a nit I'd probably agree with you.

Indy
10-23-09, 08:06 PM
Stroker, I have become convinced that it was all about money. The monkey with the MBA thought that if he could exercise more control over the series then he could siphon off more of the income from it. I stand by the term evil. As in the worst of intentions.

miatanut
10-23-09, 08:22 PM
No denying it's serious--I'd agree 100% with you on that, but maybe it's just me. I take the word "evil" pretty literally... I just don't see it on the same level as maliciously stealing thousands of people's life savings. If you called it picking a nit I'd probably agree with you.

"You can't con an honest man." It's true. At the very least Madoff's investors/victims failed to do their research and wanted to believe in something too good to be true. They were active participants in their own demise, except for those who got screwed because they had people who supposedly knew what they were doing supposedly doing the research. They should sue their investment managers.

Tony, on the other hand, continued pursuing his war as thousands of working class people lost their jobs in the decline of the sport. He was undoubtedly aware of this. Those people did not in any way cause their own demise.

I don't see a big difference here.

Gnam
10-23-09, 08:40 PM
Stroker, I have become convinced that it was all about money.

Really? IMO, money was not important to FTG. He was willing to destroy everything, including his family's fortune to win. Compare him to KK. When KK finally read the writing on the wall, he sold. When FTG saw that same writing, he doubled down. Only his momma knocking him out the box prevented him from spending more.

If FTG could have paid ESPN/ABC enough to broadcast the IRL, he would have.
If FTG could have funded every team on the grid, he would have.

Profit was not FTG's motive. He never made $1.

Indy
10-24-09, 05:26 PM
IMO he never made a dollar because he was stupid. But that does not mean he did not intend to.

Perhaps I know a little too much about the Speedway's business dealings around here. The Mari generation of leadership has been known for nothing but ridiculous excess at the expense of partners, vendors, employees and others. I am talking about people who are too greedy to see the big picture. Think penny wise, pound foolish in a really, really stupid way.

Andrew Longman
10-25-09, 07:53 AM
IMO he never made a dollar because he was stupid. But that does not mean he did not intend to.

My read as well from 1000 miles away. Offspring of the rich risked nothing to live a rich lifestyle and tend to be flawed in their ability to assess risk and the hard thinking/work/compromise needed to make business decisions work. It came to them simply so they think it is simple, coupled with an outsized sense of entitlement.

Never met TG, other than to sit across the aisle from him and his gang once at Nazareth, but his actions seems to fit the stereotype.

Napoleon
10-25-09, 01:36 PM
Offspring of the rich risked nothing to live a rich lifestyle and tend to be flawed in their ability to assess risk and the hard thinking/work/compromise needed to make business decisions work. It came to them simply so they think it is simple, coupled with an outsized sense of entitlement.

That should be carved into Mount Rushmore.

STD
10-25-09, 02:13 PM
Profit was not FTG's motive.

Agreed.
Tony took his toy away because Tony is a wretched little child.

The envy shown in the broad brush painting of all rich offspring is very telling.

Indy
10-25-09, 06:19 PM
The envy shown in the broad brush painting of all rich offspring is very telling.

I don't know about that. My experience certainly supports the "broad brush painting."

G.
10-26-09, 12:43 PM
In case you're all wondering, I'm going with Team Dumb**** over here.

If it was Greed, he did it really really wrong each step of the way.

oddlycalm
10-26-09, 03:01 PM
Like anything else there are exceptions but to ignore why so many 2nd and 3rd generation family businesses and wealthy scions fail would simply be denial. Pity is closer to what I feel, not envy, both for those denied the chance to rise by their own accomplishment as well as for those whose lives are impacted when the business tanks.

oc

dando
10-26-09, 03:24 PM
Like anything else there are exceptions but to ignore why so many 2nd and 3rd generation family businesses and wealthy scions fail would simply be denial. Pity is closer to what I feel, not envy, both for those denied the chance to rise by their own accomplishment as well as for those whose lives are impacted when the business tanks.

oc

Dude, we all know the gene skips a generation...or perhaps a millenium in :tony:s case. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

eiregosod
10-27-09, 01:18 PM

this made me LOL, very apt :laugh: , decadance never comes at the beginning or middle of empire

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/images/danicarsmall.jpg

eiregosod
10-27-09, 01:43 PM

oc

The IMS fansbois should look on this time as an opportunity.

the saying 'If it wasnt for Mr hulman buying the speedway in 1945 (or whenever) it wouldnt be the same today'

could be mirrored with "if it wasnt for Mr ______ buying the speedway in 2010, it wouldnt be the saem today"

SteveH
10-27-09, 02:14 PM
this made me LOL, very apt :laugh: , decadance never comes at the beginning or middle of empire

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/images/danicarsmall.jpg

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

Indy
10-27-09, 03:00 PM
could be mirrored with "if it wasnt for Mr ______ buying the speedway in 2010, it wouldnt be the saem today"

Just think back fifteen years and how hard it would have been to imagine it coming to this.

miatanut
10-27-09, 11:42 PM
Fifteen years ago, I thought CART would hold together against Tony, so things would currently be a little down from the mid-90's, but they would be about like they were in the early '90's or at worst, late 80's.

On the other hand, where we are now is exactly where we would expect to be if Tony won the war, which is why we were against him all along.

eiregosod
10-28-09, 05:35 AM
Just think back fifteen years and how hard it would have been to imagine it coming to this.

even with the addition of the other events at IMS , its hard to believe. Just shows how visionary the Frances were to make sure that the Hulman-Georges blew their new found BY400 income on the gomer equivalent of Fabergé eggs. To think that FTG could have built up a massive racetrack empire instead of creating the unnecessary IRL.

SurfaceUnits
10-28-09, 08:36 AM
you just need to learn to enjoy them 33 rows of 1 starts Brainfart gives them gomers at mIndy. :rofl:

stroker
10-28-09, 08:38 AM

Oh, thank you. Now I'll be stuck all day with the mental image of throngs of people dragging the effing twit out into the street and hanging him from a light pole...

SurfaceUnits
10-28-09, 08:47 AM
Only his momma knocking him out the box prevented him from spending more.

If TOney hadn't knocked down Mari's love shack outside turn 2, he would still be spending her money :laugh:

miatanut
10-28-09, 12:22 PM
If TOney hadn't knocked down Mari's love shack outside turn 2, he would still be spending her money :laugh:

Yup! :thumbup:

Napoleon
10-28-09, 12:52 PM
If TOney hadn't knocked down Mari's love shack outside turn 2 . . .

OK, what the heck are you talking about?

G.
10-28-09, 02:01 PM

Speedway Motel getting torn down.

love shack (http://www.autoracingdaily.com/news/other-motorsports/historic-speedway-motel-brickyard-crossing-comes-down/)

miatanut
10-28-09, 02:06 PM

It came out in the news that momma specifically told little Tony not to tear it down for the tunnel he wanted to build, and then he tore it down when she was out of town, which pissed her off and led to his ouster.

Poetic justice.

nrc
10-28-09, 02:25 PM
Whatever happened to "Indy-land" or whatever that big development pipe-dream they came up with was called?

Napoleon
10-28-09, 03:20 PM
It came out in the news that momma specifically told little Tony not to tear it down for the tunnel he wanted to build, and then he tore it down when she was out of town, which pissed her off and led to his ouster.

How did I miss that?

That is just awesome - just when you think he has peaked out in his idiocy he manages to surprise you and kick it up a notch.

datachicane
10-28-09, 05:08 PM
The man is an artist.
Not oils or sculpture or music, but an artist just the same.

Don Quixote
10-28-09, 05:23 PM
was the idiot conceived in that motel? :shudder:

Indy
10-28-09, 08:23 PM
The man is an artist.
Not oils or sculpture or music, but an artist just the same.

:rofl:

Yes, you are correct. His medium is stupidity. It is a common medium, as common as the dirt beneath our feet. But it is so very uncommon to find such artistry, such creativity, such absolute achievement. Tony has indeed reached the pinnacle of imbecility.

datachicane
10-29-09, 12:37 AM
Despite his obvious mastery, it's not just his use of stupidity, which, as you say, is a common enough medium. Lesser men, both obscure and notable, have to their credit achievements of comparable levels of stupidity.

In Mr. George, it's the unique and artful interweaving of staggering quantities of money, resources, and goodwill, leavened with breathtaking dimwittedness and simple provincial insecurity, seasoned with steely, single-minded determination aimed at a hideously misunderstood target, all topped with an enormous maraschino cherry of multilayered irony that would make O. Henry weep.

This is Art.
Were he a simple coed with a blue tarp, boombox, strobe light, and a tray of condiments he'd be no less an artist, but blessed with such a canvas as his birthright...

G.
10-29-09, 01:16 AM
Despite his obvious mastery, it's not just his use of stupidity, which, as you say, is a common enough medium. Lesser men, both obscure and notable, have to their credit achievements of comparable levels of stupidity.

In Mr. George, it's the unique and artful interweaving of staggering quantities of money, resources, and goodwill, leavened with breathtaking dimwittedness and simple provincial insecurity, seasoned with steely, single-minded determination aimed at a hideously misunderstood target, all topped with an enormous maraschino cherry of multilayered irony that would make O. Henry weep.

This is Art.
Were he a simple coed with a blue tarp, boombox, strobe light, and a tray of condiments he'd be no less an artist, but blessed with such a canvas as his birthright...
:rofl::rofl:

chop456
10-29-09, 09:03 AM

This is Art.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:thumbup:

Don Quixote
10-29-09, 09:34 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
This post ranks right up there with Warlock's about getting his minivan up to 120 mph!

Andrew Longman
11-02-09, 09:31 AM

Poetic justice.

That's also the hotel where Robert Wagner bedded PLNs wife in the movie Winning. In the end he received his due as well. I don't know why but seemed worth saying

oddlycalm
11-02-09, 07:22 PM
Despite his obvious mastery, it's not just his use of stupidity.......
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dude, epic post. :thumbup:

oc

miatanut
11-03-09, 04:22 PM

This is Art.
:rofl: :thumbup:

Napoleon
11-03-09, 05:20 PM
Well Datachicane pretty much won this thread with his post.