PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Jenson Button

Hard Driver
10-19-09, 09:29 AM
Congratulations to Jenson Button. I'm not so sure that it wasn't really just luck that they started the year with the double diffuser, but hey, many people have won the world championship because they had the better car.

Sean Malone
10-19-09, 10:41 AM
He backed in to it but I won't begrudge him the championship. He did what he needed to do. I wish they would have a separate celebration for the WDC when they don't make podium. Speed had the canned vignette but it's rather anti-climatic.

NismoZ
10-19-09, 11:42 AM
You know me, I hesitate to point these things out :D but back on March 28th I picked Button to win the title in the "Diffuser Gate" topic. Can't see how winning 6 of 7 (?) at the beginning of the season is backing into anything. It's a season-long title, there is no "chase" at the end. Both Brawns still looked pretty dang strong in Brazil but a lot of others improved rapidly, didn't they? Many times the champ has not been regarded as the best driver out there. So, Hamilton wins his 2nd next year.:)

Sean Malone
10-19-09, 01:11 PM
I'll be surprised if Vettel doesn't get next years.

NismoZ
10-19-09, 02:06 PM
Good choice as well. (unless Ferrari gets a winner legislated.;))

TrueBrit
10-19-09, 03:02 PM
Britain has back-to-back Champs!:thumbup:

Fantastic!

Napoleon
10-19-09, 03:23 PM
Britain has back-to-back Champs!:thumbup:

Whens the last time that happened?

cameraman
10-19-09, 03:41 PM
1968 & 1969
Graham Hill & Jackie Stewart

before that you had 1962-1965
Hill-Clark-Surtees-Clark

Thus endeth the back to back Brits list.

nissan gtp
10-19-09, 04:01 PM
not a fan of Button, but when he got the opportunity, he got the job done (and Rubins, in the same equipment, didn't run nearly as well).

Button drove a very good race in Brazil. That's the way a WDC does it. :thumbup:

And he outscored Hamilton, glad I didn't have any money on that. :rofl:

oddlycalm
10-19-09, 04:08 PM
Button didn't make many mistakes, throw opportunities away or tear up the equipment. He made some tough passes when he had to. In the end that's about all you can ask of a driver.

Rubens got his act together as the season progressed but WDC titles are un-won by stalling on the grid and running into everything on the track except the safety car as happened early in the season.
oc

Gnam
10-19-09, 04:25 PM
Alonso (2)
Button (1)
Hamilton (1)
Kimi (1)
Schumacher (7)

Alphabetically, Button's championship ranks higher than either Hamilton or Kimi's. :p

Lux Interior
10-19-09, 07:30 PM
I was glad to see him win. He doesn't act like a prima-donna, and his dad was in tears at the end of the race when he knew his kid was gonna be the champion. How awesome is that?

Also, even though he got beat by Rubens in the second half of the season, he hung tough, didn't panic, and brought it home. He's a deserving champion as far as I am concerned.:thumbup:

Boatdesigner
10-22-09, 12:24 AM
I have thought since he started he just needed the right car. There are probably quite few good drivers who just don't have good equipment. The thing that impressed me all year was how clean he drove. Did he put a wheel wrong at any time? He may not have been the fastest at every race, but he made sure he finished.

Brawn should re-sign him just because he doesn't tear up the cars, makes him pretty cost effective. Evidently he paid his own travel expenses all year as well, flying in coach and on budget airlines. RB lent him his private jet to fly home on after the race!

meadors
10-22-09, 10:38 PM
RB lent him his private jet to fly home on after the race!
If that was Ross Brawn, that was very nice of him to do that. If that was Rubens Barichello, it was a really classy thing to do.

NismoZ
10-23-09, 11:34 AM
Yeah, back-to-back British champs followed by no British GP? That makes sense.:shakehead

Boatdesigner
10-26-09, 07:49 PM
If that was Ross Brawn, that was very nice of him to do that. If that was Rubens Barichello, it was a really classy thing to do.

Barichello - Didn't dawn on me that there are two RB's on that team!