PDA

View Full Version : IMS for sale?

SteveH
10-15-09, 11:35 AM
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/indianapolis-motor-speedway-for-sale/

Indianapolis Motor Speedway for sale?
October 14, 2009 by joesaward

There are rumours in the United States that now that Tony George has been moved out of his position running the Indianapolis Motor Speedway by his own family members, that the facility may be up for sale. There seems to be little more to the story than pure speculation at the moment but if the Hulman-George family, which has own the facility since 1945, when it was acquired from Eddie Rickenbacker, does decide it has had enough of motor racing the obvious people to sell the track to would be France Family, owners of the International Speedway Corporation, NASCAR and GrandAm. There is speculation that the speedway could be worth as much as $600m. The venue has much scope for expansion as it is currently used for racing only three times a year.

NismoZ
10-15-09, 12:37 PM
Where's John Menard? Gee, at 600mil. Mom and sisters could get back just about everything :tony: blew. A new infield Moto-X track, home of the X-games, a neat 4-wide infield drag strip, go-karts. I wonder if there'd be room for Lake Lloyd North! Of course, the turns will have to be banked higher and perhaps the chutes removed. Man, I can hardly wait for Indy Bike Week, who needs Moto GP!:rofl:

Napoleon
10-15-09, 12:52 PM
I know we can all buy it if we just pool our resources.

PS, is there any reason to believe that website is right?

mueber
10-15-09, 01:21 PM
Monster trucks and tractor pulls on the golf course,

The Official Wedding Chapel of NASCAR,

The Official NASCAR History of Indianapolis, "Retired NASCAR star A.J. Foyt occasionally ran in open-wheel races."

Hank Williams X singing the National Anthem.

It will be great.

devilmaster
10-15-09, 02:27 PM
bwahahahahaha...

Speakin of which, i nearly laughed out loud at a restaurant yesterday when I happened upon McNutty's column in the toronto Sun...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/dean_mcnulty/2009/10/14/11392906-sun.html

IndyCar racing is headed in the same direction the National Hockey League is in the U.S. -- oblivion. That would be the place where all pro sports that have television contracts with the Versus network go to play.

The race had everything but an audience and it pointed out that IndyCar racing is in real trouble if it doesn't soon find a way to get back on the sporting world's radar.

One way would be to get a title sponsor -- not an easy task in the current economic environment.

The other way is to find a replacement for Tony George to run the series. After getting the bum's rush from his mother and three sisters -- who control Indianapolis Motor Speedway and IndyCar racing -- the series lacks leadership that is needed to provide stability and vision the sport desperately needs.

McNutty musta stockpiled the kool-aid he was getting....

FTG
10-15-09, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if years ago KK made a deal. "I let Tony think he won. You sack him. Then, sell me the series and the speedway."

I know. But if they got better cars I could start caring again.

nissan gtp
10-15-09, 03:51 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if years ago KK made a deal. "I let Tony think he won. You sack him. Then, sell me the series and the speedway."

that would rock.

there are 2 websites that would implode :rofl:

Don Quixote
10-15-09, 03:57 PM

'king eh! :thumbup:
"bum's rush" is the funniest thing I've read all day! :laugh:

TKGAngel
10-15-09, 06:26 PM
What makes McNulty think that ISC could afford to purchase the speedway? Latest news about their financials has been anything but positive. Yeah, they got money, but they've lost a ton of it, and NASCAR has been facing declining attendance, declining TV ratings and whatever else you want to throw at it.

IndyCar racing is headed in the same direction the National Hockey League is in the U.S. -- oblivion.

People who write for a paper in a town where people pay good money to watch cr8p on ice shouldn't throw hockey pucks.

pchall
10-15-09, 06:52 PM
It will be great.

It will be even grater when ISC fixes the banking.

oddlycalm
10-15-09, 06:52 PM
This isn't 1997, it's post meltdown 2009. Outside of the Arabian Gulf and China few people or organizations have the cash (or credit) to make that sale happen. Unless scarecrow and the sisty uglers are willing to accept a distress sale price I don't think there is much change of the IMS being sold any time soon. The most obvious suspect would be ISC, but the Frances would have to make a big stretch to get it done and the market for junk bonds isn't what it was.

oc

pchall
10-15-09, 07:32 PM
But if they got better cars I could start caring again.

That really is the forgotten part of the equation. The freedom to run any chassis and any engine that met the regulations was a vital part of the sport. It is in all likelihood too late now since the motorsports century is over. :(

dando
10-15-09, 07:42 PM
That really is the forgotten part of the equation. The freedom to run any chassis and any engine that met the regulations was a vital part of the sport. It is in all likelihood too late now since the motorsports century is over. :(

Amen. RIP. :irked:

-Kevin

stroker
10-15-09, 07:49 PM
you don't need to sell the whole thing, just 51% of it...

I smell RP getting involved with the Frances as a silent partner.

JLMannin
10-15-09, 10:59 PM
I drove by the south end yesterday and there was not a for sale sign that I could see. Of course, the track is quite large, and the for sale sign could be on Georgetown or 25th street.

mapguy
10-16-09, 09:55 AM
bwahahahahaha...

Speakin of which, i nearly laughed out loud at a restaurant yesterday when I happened upon McNutty's column in the toronto Sun...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/dean_mcnulty/2009/10/14/11392906-sun.html

McNutty musta stockpiled the kool-aid he was getting....

Dean McNulty makes Bruce Martin look like a genius.

Bring back Dan Proudfoot!

Al Czervik
10-16-09, 11:57 AM
What's the Powerball up to? If I win, maybe I'll make a bid.

<edit> There are now 666 threads under this topic. Mark of the Beast!

NismoZ
10-16-09, 04:44 PM
"...and pointed out Indy Car is in real trouble..." NO! When did THAT happen!?:eek:

oddlycalm
10-16-09, 07:11 PM
Maybe they will try to sell it themselves online. :tony:

oc

gjc2
10-16-09, 08:58 PM
Kevin Kalkhoven?

NismoZ
10-16-09, 10:03 PM
He ain't THAT dumb!

stroker
10-17-09, 10:30 AM
Besides, there are penguins he still hasn't seen...

dando
10-17-09, 12:09 PM
Besides, there are penguins he still hasn't seen...

http://sidesalad.net/archives/StarbucksWayISeeItBerkeleyBreathed.JPG

:gomer:

-Kevin

NismoZ
10-18-09, 07:49 PM
Huh, I'll bet he read Charlie Brown's "I love humanity, it's PEOPLE I can't stand!"-Schulz