PDA

View Full Version : digital television - color rendition

rosawendel
10-10-09, 09:32 PM
i was thinking of this whilke watching barrett jackson this eve...

back in the olden days of tube screens and analog broadcast technology there was a color shift that took place at some point between real life and the finished television picture - as an example, penske cars were orange and white in real life because penske knew the right color of orange to end up marlboro red on t.v. screens

does this color shift still happen in the digital age? i suppose i'd know the answer if i ever saw an irl sled in real life, but, then again... meh.

cameraman
10-10-09, 11:15 PM
Since 99% of the population does not calibrate their digital tvs the color they see varies all over the place. Most pictures I see are grossly oversaturated. In theory the new cameras should have a larger color space and they should be more accurate if properly calibrated.

Indy
10-11-09, 01:59 AM
calibrate their digital tv

How do you do that? :gomer:

dando
10-11-09, 09:32 AM
How do you do that? :gomer:

Invite BiF over and feed 'im beerz.

-Kevin

pchall
10-11-09, 11:38 AM
The factory settings on the new tvs all seem to be oversaturated. I've adjusted the color saturation on both my LCD screens and have a personalized setting for most viewing of movies on DVD and a bit of PBS non news programming. I use the "sports" setting to watch the Bangles and my blood pressure monitor on Sundays.

dando
10-11-09, 01:17 PM
I use the "sports" setting to watch the Bangles and my blood pressure monitor on Sundays.

I think I just heard your monitor from here. :gomer: :irked:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
10-11-09, 05:50 PM
You're exactly right about the color shift and it's still with us.

ISF site (http://www.imagingscience.com/)

NTSC was implemented nearly fifty years ago, adding color to our existing black and white television system. Despite solid grounding in the science of color and light perception, NTSC has a history of inconsistent picture reproduction.

What went wrong? Among other things, the general public was never given a basic understanding of the system and its limitations, which affected the manufacturing and program production industries.

Today we are witnessing the birth of digital television, an era which has promised to eradicate the ills of conventional TV. Once again however, it is not common knowledge that DTV, and all modern electronic imaging systems are indeed based upon the same fundamental principles of our original NTSC system. Without an understanding of and careful attention to the established standards, DTV will fall victim to difficulties similar to those which have plagued NTSC.

For now the only way to really solve this is to have the local ISF tech stop by with their instruments and calibrate the TV. They set the color temperature to 6500 kelvin and the levels to ISF standards using your image sources. Calibration DVD's are also available for ~$30 and most people can get it reasonably close themselves. Most sets in stores are horrid, generally ice cold at around 8500-10000 kelvin with the brightness and saturation set all the way up. :eek: No way to make any valid comparisons.

Negotiating calibration as part of the purchase price can work if the seller has ISF techs and these days you can drive a pretty good bargain. If you get it for $250 or less you did good.

oc

pchall
10-11-09, 06:41 PM
I think I just heard your monitor from here. :gomer: :irked:

-Kevin

Damned Bangles had my chest tight for the entire second half. :eek:

KLang
10-12-09, 09:28 AM
You're exactly right about the color shift and it's still with us.

For now the only way to really solve this is to have the local ISF tech stop by with their instruments and calibrate the TV. They set the color temperature to 6500 kelvin and the levels to ISF standards using your image sources. Calibration DVD's are also available for ~$30 and most people can get it reasonably close themselves. Most sets in stores are horrid, generally ice cold at around 8500-10000 kelvin with the brightness and saturation set all the way up. :eek: No way to make any valid comparisons.

Negotiating calibration as part of the purchase price can work if the seller has ISF techs and these days you can drive a pretty good bargain. If you get it for $250 or less you did good.

oc

If you want to try calibrating for yourself the software and various price points for meters are available at spectracal (http://www.spectracal.com/). I've used it for a couple years on my gear at home.

Nowadays more TV manufacturers are including the proper user accessable controls for setting the grayscale but a meter and software is really needed to do it properly.

Sean Malone
10-12-09, 10:16 AM
I found that the easiest and least expensive (i.e. free!) method is to search the avs forums for your TV make. There you will find thread after thread of settings to apply to your make and modle. My Samsung was horrible out of the box. The third settings pack I got from the forum was the one I'm still with. Color is still subjective which is why there are numerous settings for a model. One person may prefer +1 on this, when someone else's eyes prefer -1 on that.

nrc
10-12-09, 06:27 PM
Advice: never adjust your color while watching a Boise State football game. :)

cameraman
10-12-09, 09:21 PM
Color is still subjective which is why there are numerous settings for a model. The perception of color on the screen is highly influenced by room lighting and room color. The settings for a yellow room do not work in a room with sky blue walls. There is a reason why people doing professional color work are found working in caves staring into hooded monitors with a bajillion dollars worth of calibration gear laying about.

oddlycalm
10-13-09, 05:15 PM
This thread needs it's own AV guy.

http://dryden.eastmanhouse.org/media/av-frontpage.jpg

Don Quixote
10-13-09, 05:17 PM
Hey, that's me! 5th grade Mrs. Meade's class.

STD
10-18-09, 02:06 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

oddlycalm
10-18-09, 09:03 PM
Hey, that's me! 5th grade Mrs. Meade's class.
Master of the 16mm Bell & Howell eh? What about the requisite bow tie and Brylcreem hair lube...? :gomer:

oc

http://j-walkblog.com/images2/brylcreem.jpg

cart7
10-24-09, 07:53 AM
Unlike the olden days of NTSC analog TV's, todays sets whether LCD, Plasma or DLP/LCD rear projectors have little in the way of adjustments that aren't customer accessible. Everything you need is inside the customer menu screens. If anybody tells you to enter the service menu to make any sort of adjustment DON'T.

miatanut
10-24-09, 01:36 PM

:rofl:

One time in 3rd or 4th grade I got appointed to watch the movie while pushing on the metal tab where the lens swung shut because the sprocket kept skipping if there wasn't additional pressure there.

Ours were like this, with the spring/belt drive pulleys:
http://i.oodleimg.com/item/1580712610u_0x?1253481328