PDA

View Full Version : Cataract Surgery

Brickman
10-08-09, 12:45 PM
Simply fascinating... I developed one quickly after use of steroids due to my illness... diagnosed in August, surgery yesterday.

One forgets the details that clear vision affords. www.amo-inc.com is the manufacturer of the intraocular lens. Surgery went well, my first ever, a push of versed just to relax but not to knock one out, needed to understand and focus my eye where the surgeon instructed me to, 30 minutes later done, and walked out of recovery 20 minutes after that.

But while waiting to be rolled into surgery I kept thinking of Planet of the Apes, the scene where the Heston (Taylor) character looking at artifacts in the cave with Dr. Zaius... so I looked up what he exactly said... upon finding a prefabricated heart valve up in the cave... said "I don't say he was a man like I knew at home, but he must have been a close relative. He had all the same weaknesses. He was a weak, fragile animal."

Of course they won't find my new lens in a cave someday, and if they did, all those people in the waiting room comparing their multiple hip, knee, shoulder replacements would have much bigger parts for someone to find first.

SteveH
10-08-09, 02:16 PM
Can you imagine what it would have been like in the 'old days'?

Some 40 years ago, cataract surgery involved a large incision on the surface of the eye, followed by five days of hospitalization, usually with the patient's head immobilized by sandbags. Even with surgery followed by wearing thick "cataract glasses," relatively few patients achieved 20/20 vision, and blinding complications like retinal detachment, glaucoma, and loss of corneal clarity occurred frequently.

http://news.nurse.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2004404190332&template=printart

Glad it went well. :thumbup:

Ruok
10-08-09, 04:15 PM
Can you imagine what it would have been like in the 'old days'?
Sort of. My grandmother had cataract surgery 47 years ago. She wore glass contacts during the day, but 'cat-eye' glasses running around the house. Her eyes looked like a fish swimming in a fishbowl, kinda freaky. However she did live to 97 problem free, still driving and playing bridge.

Glad to hear you're OK Bman. My 85 y.o. Dad had eye issues that eventually required a lense implant. Doctors stuck a needle through his cornea 2 or 3 times a week for about 3 or 4 months. Seriously. He said he didn't care for it.

Napoleon
10-08-09, 04:39 PM
But while waiting to be rolled into surgery I kept thinking of Planet of the Apes, the scene where the Heston (Taylor) character looking at artifacts in the cave with Dr. Zaius...

Damn dirty apes.