PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dodge Trucks...Introducing...

Sean Malone
10-05-09, 01:56 PM
...Ram Trucks. Marchionne split the trucks out of the Dodge lineup.

Steve99
10-05-09, 02:23 PM
Brilliant! Because the problem with the American car companies was that they didn't have enough brands. :shakehead

Napoleon
10-05-09, 03:24 PM
Could this be a precursor to doing away with Dodge completely?

oddlycalm
10-05-09, 03:33 PM
The only reason I can think of to separate the Dodge name from the trucks is if they are going their separate ways in some regard. Brand identity is something you never mess with and Dodge trucks are a very old brand. More logical IMO would be to keep the Dodge nameplate on the trucks where it has the strongest identity and roll the unremarkable cars into Chrysler or put them out of their misery.

oc

Sean Malone
10-05-09, 03:33 PM
Could this be a precursor to doing away with Dodge completely?

I read a very ominous article last week that predicted the demise of ALL Chrysler brands within a year from now. They cited reputable contacts but no sources named.

The Chrysler watchdog website I read hasn't picked up on the rumors and continue to report on changes cited as 'long term'. They also point out that Marchionne also split out the truck line in his Fiat brand awhile back. Analysts point out that Dodge needs to get back to producing cars and this change indicates that Marchionne agrees.

I'm interested to see the first new lineups to come out under Fiats watch.

Sean Malone
10-05-09, 03:40 PM
The only reason I can think of to separate the Dodge name from the trucks is if they are going their separate ways in some regard. Brand identity is something you never mess with and Dodge trucks are a very old brand. More logical IMO would be to keep the Dodge nameplate on the trucks where it has the strongest identity and roll the unremarkable cars into Chrysler or put them out of their misery.

oc

That makes more sense to me. Analysts say the only thing of value from Chrysler is their truck and Jeep line, so renaming the trucks and immediately wiping away the history makes no sense.
If I had to pull the plug on one of the lines however it would be Chrysler. Dodge history is more robust than the Imperial or 300 Chryslers.

STD
10-05-09, 05:42 PM
Plymouth 500.