PDA

View Full Version : The new horsepower war.

emjaya
10-05-09, 09:41 AM
Cop cars. :gomer:

After a 15-year absence patrolling U.S. streets, an all-new law-enforcement-only Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) joins GM's fleet in 2011.

Under the hood, GM says the Caprice will have a 6.0-liter LS2 V8 engine rated at an estimated 355 HP and 384 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed auto transmission. Power output compares favorably to the 340 HP HEMI in the Dodge Charger police edition and absolutely blows away the Ford Crown Vic's 250 HP 4.6-liter V8.

http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusive-the-chevy-caprice-police-car-is-back

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/2011_Chevy_Caprice_Police_Car.jpg

It's weird, once upon a time, Australian Police Forces would buy big fast American cars to chase bad guys. Now Americans are buying Australian cars (hopefully). ;)

Ruok
10-05-09, 10:32 AM
It's weird, once upon a time, Australian Police Forces would buy big fast American cars to chase bad guys. Now Americans are buying Australian cars (hopefully). ;)
Law enforcement only, I think. I don't think they will be available to the general public. Well, at least not new. Well used, yes, but you will have to wait a few years.

WickerBill
10-05-09, 10:34 AM
I just need the po po to pick one standard vehicle so I can memorize what the headlights look like in my mirrors at night.

Elmo T
10-05-09, 10:52 AM
I know all my PD friends will be happy to see the return of the Caprice. :thumbup:

They like the Dodge, at least compared to the Crown Vic :yuck:.

We opted for a couple Durango's this year to replace the old Fords. I replaced my Fire Marshal Explorer with a Durango last year. The Tahoe was not in the budget. The Dodge is far better than I expected - but then again, I had very low expectations.

WickerBill
10-05-09, 04:30 PM
Ford has done everything they can to throw away the PPV market, but nobody was taking until now. They won't be crying to lose it, I don't think.

They could make a very very good cop car out of the new Taurus, which is absolutely awesome... but I'm doubting it.

Napoleon
10-05-09, 04:40 PM
From that angle that car is not that bad looking.

opinionated ow
10-06-09, 04:53 AM
Ford has done everything they can to throw away the PPV market, but nobody was taking until now. They won't be crying to lose it, I don't think.

They could make a very very good cop car out of the new Taurus, which is absolutely awesome... but I'm doubting it.

They could just import them too:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/fpv-falcon-gt-p-big.jpg

I feel a cultural cringe when I hear either of those brands-holden or ford australia mentioned except when we're exporting. :rofl:

WickerBill
11-13-09, 02:19 PM

Guess I'm stupid: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/13/breaking-ford-announces-it-will-build-all-new-police-intercepto

nrc
11-13-09, 08:33 PM
Guess I'm stupid: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/13/breaking-ford-announces-it-will-build-all-new-police-intercepto

Hmm. "Engineered in America" suggests the Taurus but more durable than the dirt simple Crown Vic is going to be tough with a twin turbo AWD vehicle.

On the upside, all the headroom in the new Taurus might substantially cut down on the need to tell perps "Watch your head."

oddlycalm
11-13-09, 08:44 PM
Wonder what the law will do when the supply of stamped steel wheels eventually runs out? Contract with a specialty outfit and buy them at a premium...? :gomer:

oc

Elmo T
11-13-09, 09:33 PM
Contract with a specialty outfit and buy them at a premium...? :gomer:

oc

Kinda sorta:

Carbon Motors Corporation is a bold, new homeland security company on a critical mission to design, develop,
manufacture, distribute, service, and recycle at end-of-life,
the world’s first purpose-built police car (http://www.carbonmotors.com/)

nrc
03-12-10, 10:44 PM
Taurus Police Interceptor officially unveiled. You can have your V6 in plain 265 HP flavor or full SHO 365HP twin turbo tastiness for more oomph behind your PIT manoeuver.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2012_ford_taurus_police_images_main.jpg

It will be interesting to see how those new fangled unibodies hold up to police duty.

Michaelhatesfans
03-13-10, 02:10 AM

Knock that crap off. As far as I'm concerned, you guys use these. And I don't want to hear anything different.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/mad-max-interceptor/images/InterceptorSide.jpg

opinionated ow
03-13-10, 02:44 AM
Taurus Police Interceptor officially unveiled. You can have your V6 in plain 265 HP flavor or full SHO 365HP twin turbo tastiness for more oomph behind your PIT manoeuver.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2012_ford_taurus_police_images_main.jpg

It will be interesting to see how those new fangled unibodies hold up to police duty.

A front wheel drive police car. That should be interesting...

Michaelhatesfans
03-13-10, 03:00 AM

Seems like a bit of overkill to get in front of a Prius.

Andrew Longman
03-13-10, 10:49 AM
Seems like a bit of overkill to get in front of a Prius.

All those "homeland security dollars" that became available after 9/11. Use it or lose it.

OTOH a trooper friend of mine says the old jelly bean Chevys they had in the late 80s were slow and scary under braked. Didn't make them too inclined to go after the truly fast bad guys.

Elmo T
03-13-10, 10:59 AM

:thumdown:

Most of the departments I know will avoid the front wheel drive at all costs. Only budgeting forces them in that direction (Impala). :yuck:

At least locally in this County, there was a big spike in the number of PD Durangos, though Chargers are still the vehicle of choice.

opinionated ow
03-13-10, 11:22 AM
:thumdown:

Most of the departments I know will avoid the front wheel drive at all costs. Only budgeting forces them in that direction (Impala). :yuck:

At least locally in this County, there was a big spike in the number of PD Durangos, though Chargers are still the vehicle of choice.

I genuinely don't understand why they don't just import the falcons and commodores that we have here. Ford Australia and GM Holden turn them into police cars regularly. They're the right size, they've got the guts and the holden is already available in LHD. Hell I don't see why they don't just manufacture the same cars in both countries...

nrc
03-13-10, 03:35 PM

The Ecoboost version comes with four wheel drive. Of course the question mark on that configuration will be cost and durability.

nrc
03-13-10, 04:12 PM
I genuinely don't understand why they don't just import the falcons and commodores that we have here. Ford Australia and GM Holden turn them into police cars regularly. They're the right size, they've got the guts and the holden is already available in LHD. Hell I don't see why they don't just manufacture the same cars in both countries...

I'm not sure they're American cop sized. The Crown Vic is a fair bit bigger and the Taurus just about splits the difference.

But the real reason is probably that the "One Ford" program calls for the Aussie Falcon to share a global RWD platform by around 2015.

grungex
03-13-10, 04:51 PM
Chicago has been switching to Chevy Tahoes, with apparently huge increases in reliability over the Impalas and Crown Vics...

I've also heard the Charger is not a very good police car.

nrc
03-13-10, 11:51 PM
Chicago has been switching to Chevy Tahoes, with apparently huge increases in reliability over the Impalas and Crown Vics...

I've also heard the Charger is not a very good police car.

I saw a Cops episode where the officer was driving a Tahoe. It couldn't keep up with the bad guy in a pursuit and the officer had to let regular cruisers take the lead. So I was curious if Chicago is going completely big rig. Seems imprudent for things like freeway patrol and areas like downtown with tight streets. From what I turn up it looks like they're going 60/40 truck/car.

Overall it's interesting that there's suddenly such interest in segment that nobody wanted just a few years ago.

grungex
03-14-10, 01:17 AM
It is my strong belief that there is no place for high-speed pursuit, especially in city environs. Too many innocent people getting hit or killed.

I know at least one city actually established a policy whereby if an offender took off at a high rate of speed the officer was required to turn around and go the other way.

Steve99
03-15-10, 06:36 PM
From what I turn up it looks like they're going 60/40 truck/car.
Didn't they get the memo: SUV = evil

Opposite Lock
03-15-10, 07:39 PM

Might depend on who you listen to and/or read. I'm a regular reader of secondcitycop.blogspot.com/ (http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/), and my impression from the blog and the reader comments is that the Tahoes "ain't all that", for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately finding things in their archives isn't that easy, but here are a couple links to articles which reference the blog, and indirectly express similar opinions:

http://chicagoist.com/2009/02/05/police_suvs_to_start_rolling_in.php
http://chicagoist.com/2008/12/02/city_buying_police_department_2000.php

Now granted, many of the cop objections to the SUVs are more about the underlying political circumstances than the vehicles themselves. And certainly the (lack of) maintenance programs for the CPD fleet will eventually turn Crown Vics and SUVs alike into rolling rustbucket deathtraps. But what I keep reading over and over again is that most of the actual real cops, the ones doing the actual work, not the exempts looking for yet another perk, don't hold them in very high esteem. YMMV.

Gnam
03-15-10, 07:55 PM
I know at least one city actually established a policy whereby if an offender took off at a high rate of speed the officer was required to turn around and go the other way.
Welcome to San Francisco.

Don't get on the freeway though. The California Highway Patrol will never terminate a pursuit.

nrc
03-15-10, 11:38 PM
The interesting thing about those links is that the documents that i found when looking for details were waiver requests from the City of Chicago to use stimulus funds to pay for new police vehicles instead of whatever the funds had been earmarked for.

Also in that same document was a request to spend money on something like 64,000 hours of overtime. Figuring time and a half but not accounting for the difference in salaries that would probably be enough money to pay 40-50 new officers for a year.

Ankf00
03-15-10, 11:42 PM

Don't get on the freeway though. The California Highway Patrol will never terminate a pursuit.

Houston has a no chase policy of some type, I've forgotten the specifics, but they involve mandatory aerial pursuit and no high density areas iirc

SteveH
03-16-10, 12:14 AM

I have very close friends in Chico CA whose daughter was killed in a pursuit. The city police were chasing a teenage girl through a residential area who had 'stolen' her mother's Rav4. The Rav4 ran a 4 way stop and broadsided our friend's minivan. Kristie was removed from life support a few days later. Her mother started this organization (http://pursuitsafety.net/index.html).

nrc
03-16-10, 12:17 AM
It is my strong belief that there is no place for high-speed pursuit, especially in city environs. Too many innocent people getting hit or killed.

I think there's a better answer somewhere between "MadMax" and a free pass for anyone willing to run. Pursuit Watch (http://www.pursuitwatch.org/mission.htm) appears to have it about right.

If you make fleeing a successful tactic then more people will flee. Fleeing endangers the public whether or not there's a pursuit.

Indy
03-16-10, 08:56 AM
What can we do? We live in a world of idiots. Half of the population are not intelligent enough to function in a modern society. So, we police them, or we let them run wild. Anarchy seems like a great idea, until you take a close look at your neighbors.

I share grungex's deep mistrust of the police, and I think many of them are far more brutal and corrupt than most people realize, but I still come back to the same law and order attitudes after I spend all day driving around my city and getting a good look at what the population actually contains.

I want my Feds to be liberals, but I want my locals to be hardasses.

grungex
03-17-10, 01:32 AM
I think there's a better answer somewhere between "MadMax" and a free pass for anyone willing to run. Pursuit Watch (http://www.pursuitwatch.org/mission.htm) appears to have it about right.

If you make fleeing a successful tactic then more people will flee. Fleeing endangers the public whether or not there's a pursuit.

Or not:

http://kristieslaw.org/orlando_review.htm

One of the policy's most significant changes was ordering every officer who aborts a chase to shut off the emergency lights and either stop the patrol car or turn and head the other way, said Stanley Stone, a Valencia Community College administrator, who chaired the panel.

devilmaster
03-17-10, 09:15 AM
In the 12 months that ended March 8, Orlando police chased suspects seven times compared with four chases in the two months preceding the policy, records show.

During the year, 107 potential chases were called off when motorists refused to stop. The number represented 0.0026 percent of the police department's 40,460 traffic stops, records show.

Two fleeing suspects were injured in two crashes during the year-long study, compared with four injuries in fives crashes in the preceding 14 months.

ummm.... I'm not overwhelmed by these numbers. Especially when you compare 12 months to the prior 14. When stuff like that happens, it screams you've massaged the data or picked certain data to fit your viewpoint.

I'd be willing to bet the two months were added so that you can add 2 more injuries to that preceding list...

Gnam
03-17-10, 03:46 PM
How long before every car is mandated to shutdown upon receiving a government deactivation signal? On-star equipped cars can do it now, but the police have to use someone else's system.

Maybe NASCAR is on to something with their refusal to modernize. :gomer:

Sean Malone
03-17-10, 04:06 PM
How long before every car is mandated to shutdown upon receiving a government deactivation signal? On-star equipped cars can do it now, but the police have to use someone else's system.

Maybe NASCAR is on to something with their refusal to modernize. :gomer:

Not long in my opinion. Although, why not just have an electronics system govern each vehicles speed. My GPS knows when the speed changes, usually it even corresponds to the exact location of the sign indicating the change! Of course 'they' remind us how driving is a privilege and yet the right to break laws is an American institution (EDIT: and do you think the county/state govts want to lose all of the beautiful moving violation revenue!?!? DUI = big business.

But the 'social justice' mindset has maneuvered itself as the majority influence. I remember as a kid, my father would warn on coming drivers of hidden state boys with a couple of flashes of his headlights, and the same courtesy was frequently returned. By contrast, todays society would rather call the authorities instead of warn you of the authorities. I fought the law and the law won./EDIT)

As my retired police chief uncle was found of saying..."You're only a criminal if you get caught".
Watch out if 'they' start arresting people based on DNA profiling. :)

Wouldn't surprise me if we had forced rationing based on individuals carbon footprint, but I digress.

grungex
03-17-10, 05:06 PM
I remember as a kid, my father would warn on coming drivers of hidden state boys with a couple of flashes of his headlights, and the same courtesy was frequently returned.

Of course, now it is a crime to extend such courtesies.

You're only a criminal if you get caught, and cops don't get caught.

^^^
Fixxered for the reality...

nrc
03-17-10, 05:28 PM
Or not:

http://kristieslaw.org/orlando_review.htm

Well, it seemed reasonable on first reading, but then I go back today and see that they're sponsored by a personal injury lawyer site. :rolleyes:

I think my view of what when someone represents a danger to the public is probably different than the activists.

There should be stricter laws against fleeing and greater effort in punishing those who flee whether or not they're captured at the time. To often I think the police and municipalities throw up their hands and bow to pressure to stop pursuits without any effort to create the checks and balances to deal with the problem of fleeing drivers.

I think that officers should be "pursuit qualified" and only pursuit qualified officers should be permitted to do high speed pursuits outside of dire emergencies.

Finally, I don't see any data out there that convinces me that there won't be more people fleeing over time. Habitual drunk drivers have learned that they're better off to leave the scene of an accident. Criminals learn to work such loopholes. A fleeing driver is still a danger and more fleeing means more danger.

Q.E.D.
http://www.wftv.com/news/22270462/detail.html

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A man was killed late Monday night when his car was smashed into by a driver who took off from the scene of an Orlando Police Department traffic stop. Police say they were not chasing the suspect before the crash on SR-436; they just tried to pull him over.

Owens’ family wishes Orlando police’s chase policy was more liberal, because they believe a chase may have saved Spencer Owens’ life.

grungex
03-17-10, 05:36 PM
Are you going to make the perps pursuit qualified, too? They're usually the ones that get into the wrecks.

I fail to see how chasing the guy would have made him a better driver, or cause him to not crash.

nrc
03-17-10, 06:21 PM
Are you going to make the perps pursuit qualified, too? They're usually the ones that get into the wrecks.

That's a red herring. Perps aren't generally handgun qualified either but police are required to learn to be safe and proficient with handguns. Unless you outlaw pursuits entirely police need to be trained to handle them safely.

I fail to see how chasing the guy would have made him a better driver, or cause him to not crash.

It would have had a car with lights and siren following him which may have alerted the driver not to pull into the roadway. It may have avoided the problem all together if the driver didn't have cause to believe that fleeing would give him a free pass. In different circumstances he might just take his chances with a traffic stop.

cameraman
03-17-10, 07:31 PM
Watch out if 'they' start arresting people based on DNA profiling. :)

Not much to worry about there. We don't have the first hint of a clue how the genes/proteins/pathways of the brain work. And given the current state of academic research we never will.:irked:

Anyone who claims they know how your genes effect your thoughts is either a liar or a fool.

Opposite Lock
03-17-10, 08:24 PM
Of course, now it is a crime to extend such courtesies.

:eek: For real? First I've heard of this, but it certainly seems possible in today's Nanny States of America. Is it in all states? Have there been many arrests? Seems like it would take multiple unmarked cars rolling simultaneously to pull an arrest off, but I amagione it could be done with traffic cams too. :irked:

nrc
03-17-10, 11:59 PM
:eek: For real? First I've heard of this, but it certainly seems possible in today's Nanny States of America. Is it in all states? Have there been many arrests? Seems like it would take multiple unmarked cars rolling simultaneously to pull an arrest off, but I amagione it could be done with traffic cams too. :irked:

Officers sometimes have cited drivers for flashing lights or obstructing a police investigation. In most cases those charges don't hold up if you bother to fight them. I know both types of charge have been struck down in Ohio.

I used to flash to warn people. These days I just think most people don't deserve a warning unless it's a real speed trap. Most of the time if you keep your speed reasonable for conditions and you're paying attention you can avoid speed traps with no need of other warnings.

Indy
03-18-10, 12:50 AM
Grungex, you chose not to respond to my previous post, so I will try again.

All police issues aside, this piece of ****...

Eyewitness News checked Zarzuela's criminal history and found it dates back to 1998. He's been arrested for shoplifting, stealing cars, marijuana possession, several probation violations and most recently, carrying a stolen handgun.
Police found drugs and a stolen gun in Zarzuela's car. Zarzuela was subsequently charged with possession of a concealed firearm, possession of cocaine, possession of cannabis and possession of a stolen firearm. He was cleared from ORMC and transported to the Orange County jail.

...needs killing. A worthless, destructive waste of human flesh. Irredeemable and a parasite on society.

So here is my question. In my locality, I would guess odds are pretty good that if this guy started harassing the locals, he might just disappear, and the cops just might have something to do with that. So, are my local cops big baddies who threaten my rights, or are they the guys who stand between me and the Zarzuelas of the world?

G.
03-18-10, 09:29 AM

...needs killing. A worthless, destructive waste of human flesh. Irredeemable and a parasite on society.

careful what you read. Half the people on here have probably committed at least one of these crimes. :laugh:

grungex
03-18-10, 03:24 PM

What post did I "choose" not to respond to? :confused:

grungex
03-18-10, 03:31 PM
That's a red herring. Perps aren't generally handgun qualified either but police are required to learn to be safe and proficient with handguns. Unless you outlaw pursuits entirely police need to be trained to handle them safely.

It would have had a car with lights and siren following him which may have alerted the driver not to pull into the roadway. It may have avoided the problem all together if the driver didn't have cause to believe that fleeing would give him a free pass. In different circumstances he might just take his chances with a traffic stop.

Maybe, maybe not, and you know full well there is no way of knowing or predicting one way or the other in any single situation. One could easily bring up dozens or hundreds of other high-speed pursuits with police involvement resulting in innocent fatalities, that may or may not have occurred had the cops not been chasing at high speed. Does that prove you wrong?

It does seem to me that if cops don't get involved in high speed pursuit, the fleeing person won't be running for as long or as far, which would lead me to think the risk is reduced. Every intersection that a chase goes through increases the likelihood of a collision with an innocent motorist.

Opposite Lock
03-18-10, 07:45 PM
A timely reappearance of the topic (in the form of totally unsubstantiated yet plausible rumors) today on Second City Cop (http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/) (the third topic down for Thursday).

The reader comments are mixed on the veracity of the rumor, but there seems to be quite a bit of interest in the Interceptor, and an almost unanimous dislike of the two-wheel drive Tahoe: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13350456&postID=535831374590505062

opinionated ow
03-18-10, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure they're American cop sized. The Crown Vic is a fair bit bigger and the Taurus just about splits the difference.

But the real reason is probably that the "One Ford" program calls for the Aussie Falcon to share a global RWD platform by around 2015.

And if Ford are smart they'll use the Australian know-how to develop the chassis just as GM should do. Both Ford & GM need to acknowledge where their best product comes from in each market category. Large Cars from Australia, Small Cars from Europe etc. And then use those development hubs to develop cars that they can build in any of their factories worldwide.

FWIW Falcon & Taurus are practically the same size.

Indy
03-18-10, 09:34 PM
careful what you read. Half the people on here have probably committed at least one of these crimes. :laugh:

Nobody cares about the cannabis and probably not even the coke, but he is a stolen gun-carrying thief and now a murderer. He needs killing.

Indy
03-18-10, 09:35 PM
What post did I "choose" not to respond to? :confused:

What can we do? We live in a world of idiots. Half of the population are not intelligent enough to function in a modern society. So, we police them, or we let them run wild. Anarchy seems like a great idea, until you take a close look at your neighbors.

I share grungex's deep mistrust of the police, and I think many of them are far more brutal and corrupt than most people realize, but I still come back to the same law and order attitudes after I spend all day driving around my city and getting a good look at what the population actually contains.

I want my Feds to be liberals, but I want my locals to be hardasses.

grungex
03-19-10, 12:06 AM
Oh. I pretty much agreed with what you said, but didn't know you were expecting a response.

SurfaceUnits
03-19-10, 12:41 AM

So here is my question. In my locality, I would guess odds are pretty good that if this guy started harassing the locals, he might just disappear, and the cops just might have something to do with that. So, are my local cops big baddies who threaten my rights, or are they the guys who stand between me and the Zarzuelas of the world?

they are the baddies who spend their time harassing law abiding citizens so they don't have to mess with the Zarzuelas. Don't believe me? Just report a crime and see all the BS they put you through because you are the only one around.

My Steps to Avoid Being Harassed by Cops if you choose to report a crime.
1) Use a pay phone so they can't track you
2) Don't give them your name or any other info
3) Don't hang around the crime scene waiting for them to respond because you'll be the only one there for them to "check out"

i can give you a google map of a location where cops in Indy routinely use tax dollars to drop off and pick-up "Working Girls" that they are in love with.

Back on topic:
The SSC Ultimate Aero sets the benchmark for supercars today. Achieving tremendous power via its twin turbo V-8 engine, it produces 1,183 horsepower and 1094 ft.-lbs. of torque making the Ultimate Aero the world’s most powerful production car. Combining this proprietary power plant with a lightweight, aerodynamic body and the best handling systems available SSC delivers a vehicle that not only eclipses all other cars but stands OFFICIALLY as the "World’s Fastest Production Car".

grungex
03-19-10, 01:13 AM
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13350456&postID=535831374590505062

Lots of good anonymous hate there... :p

grungex
03-19-10, 01:16 AM

You really think cops should be out killing guys like this? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Indy
03-19-10, 07:45 AM
You really think cops should be out killing guys like this? Seriously? :rolleyes:

No. I am just very, very frustrated. I am to the point of accepting the government's protection racket because we are de-evolving into an Idiocracy future. There are far too many people who are just no damned good and their numbers seem to be growing. I am not hopeful for the country my grandchildren will inherit.

I am a very liberal-minded person, but on law and order issues I have become jaded and cynical. I know many cops are thugs, but at least they are my thugs. :yuck:

Sean Malone
03-19-10, 10:38 AM
No. I am just very, very frustrated. I am to the point of accepting the government's protection racket because we are de-evolving into an Idiocracy future. There are far too many people who are just no damned good and their numbers seem to be growing. I am not hopeful for the country my grandchildren will inherit.

I am a very liberal-minded person, but on law and order issues I have become jaded and cynical. I know many cops are thugs, but at least they are my thugs. :yuck:

I believe 'things' are happening quicker than you think and has the potential for affecting you and me, let alone our grandchildren. We're legislating ourselves into oppression and I personally believe there are factions that are manipulating the public with smoke and mirrors in an attempt to hi-jack the foundations of the Constitution. Change is coming....sooner than you think. Yes, I have a lot of aluminum foil at the ready.

While the US health care bill is grabbing all the headlines, the underground buzz is all about "...fiscal adjustments of a magnitude that, in some cases, will test social cohesion." Fear mongering or not...it gets your attention. See Greece.

SurfaceUnits
03-19-10, 12:20 PM
I believe 'things' are happening quicker than you think and has the potential for affecting you and me, let alone our grandchildren. We're legislating ourselves into oppression and I personally believe there are factions that are manipulating the public with smoke and mirrors in an attempt to hi-jack the foundations of the Constitution. Change is coming....sooner than you think. Yes, I have a lot of aluminum foil at the ready.

While the US health care bill is grabbing all the headlines, the underground buzz is all about "...fiscal adjustments of a magnitude that, in some cases, will test social cohesion." Fear mongering or not...it gets your attention. See Greece.

I think sometime this year the gov for the first time will send out more SS benefit dollars than it takes in; and there ain't no trust fund...there's a building in Parkersburg, PA, I think it is, that holds all the IOUs,,,and the gov will be borrowing from the Chinese to pay on its IOUs.....

If Indy thinks it's bad now, wait til all the entitlement peeps stop getting their entitlements.....weeeeeeee!!!!!

it only took the gov 40 something days to come up with the Patriot Act, you don't think they were prepared.....I'm thinking Indy may get a little more racket than he wishes for.

grungex
03-19-10, 12:49 PM

OK. You really had me worried. The trouble is, I don't believe they are our thugs...

Indy
03-19-10, 06:52 PM
OK. You really had me worried. The trouble is, I don't believe they are our thugs...

Yeah, I know what you mean.

And Sean and SU, I know what you mean, too. I think it is too late to escape devaluation as the way out of the debt. Unless we are willing to start WWIII, then anything goes.

WickerBill
03-19-10, 07:20 PM
Cop cars!

nrc
03-19-10, 08:17 PM
Yeah, cop cars. Whether they carry power crazed thugs using their authoritah to steal your god given rights or defenders of justice seeking to protect and serve, this thread is about cop cars.

Interceptors. Pursuit specials.

Cop cars.

Yeah, partially my fault. :)

grungex
03-19-10, 09:05 PM
:)

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/LotusPolliceAPEX_450x300.jpg

Elmo T
03-19-10, 09:33 PM
Cop cars!

http://i40.tinypic.com/nrsjm.jpg

SteveH
03-20-10, 12:34 AM
autoblog's cop car comparison (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/19/charting-the-five-ohs-next-gen-cop-car-comparo/)

WickerBill
03-20-10, 09:06 PM
:)

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/LotusPolliceAPEX_450x300.jpg

Is that an Elise? Dang.

SteveH
03-20-10, 10:21 PM
I'll take this one...

http://www.blogiseverything.com/images/Lamborghini_Police_Car_small.jpg

or this, if repainted
http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/lamborghini_murcielago_cop1L.jpg

grungex
03-20-10, 10:41 PM
Is that an Elise? Dang.

Exige, actually...

grungex
03-20-10, 10:43 PM
I'll take this one...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TXJcM3hUhjs/SxT8hDB--MI/AAAAAAAAGfM/S-hLS5WJtak/s1600/polizei_lamborghini.jpg

SteveH
03-21-10, 12:00 AM
ouch :eek:

Elmo T
03-22-10, 03:02 PM
I'd like to trade in my Durango Fire Marshal truck for this:

http://i42.tinypic.com/30adnp1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/akiqg3.jpg

Gnam
03-29-10, 03:02 PM
One of the recent stories on the Militia crackdown had a picture of some Michigan State Police cars.
:laugh: Nice light. :gomer:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8888/0233j.jpg

Steve99
03-29-10, 03:22 PM
^^^
Is that a light or a disguised CIWS pod? :)

Why is there a stop sign on the hood?

Elmo T
03-29-10, 03:22 PM
What's the deal with the STOP thingy on the hoods?? For use when they block the road??

TrueBrit
03-29-10, 03:35 PM

Me either..

TrueBrit
03-29-10, 03:37 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/30adnp1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/akiqg3.jpg

Figures it would be in Russia ;), ;)

TrueBrit
03-29-10, 03:55 PM
it only took the gov 40 something days to come up with the Patriot Act,

..that bad boy was already on the shelf, ready-to-go, just waiting for the 'right time'...all they had to do was change the dates...

Indy
03-29-10, 08:25 PM
Do you suppose they got a kick out of the support it drew from all the rubes who had no idea that they were the "Patriots" the act targets?

oddlycalm
03-29-10, 09:45 PM
One of the recent stories on the Militia crackdown had a picture of some Michigan State Police cars.
:laugh: Nice light. :gomer:
Took them 50yrs to decide on making the gum machine square shouldered. Change that and the car model and that livery could be right out of 1958. They're not conservative but they do consider electricity to be a passing fad. :gomer:

Just think of how much they've saved in design fees over the years. Must work out to at least $12/yr.... :laugh:

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Chevrolet/1958_Chevrolet_Delray_2dr_Sedan_Michigan_State_Pol ice_Cruiser_f3q_B-W.jpg

oddlycalm
03-29-10, 09:45 PM
Hold out for the dual turbo version. :thumbup:

oc

chop456
03-30-10, 02:55 AM
What's the deal with the STOP thingy on the hoods?? For use when they block the road??

Either that or for pulling up next to you. I don't know. They've been like that for a long time, though.

[Edit] Just noticed the old pic already posted. :gomer:

Elmo T
03-30-10, 06:07 AM
Took them 50yrs to decide on making the gum machine square shouldered. Change that and the car model and that livery could be right out of 1958. They're not conservative but they do consider electricity to be a passing fad. :gomer:

We have a saying in the FD: 200 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress. ;)

They must have cribbed that one.

Sean Malone
03-30-10, 10:53 AM
Word out now that Indiana based Carbon Motors Co will be using BMW engines and trannys in their new 'green' cop car. They are hoping to secure a 310 mill loan from the dept of energy.
I wonder if Pete Windsor is involved?

Methanolandbrats
03-30-10, 11:32 AM
Word out now that Indiana based Carbon Motors Co will be using BMW engines and trannys in their new 'green' cop car. They are hoping to secure a 310 mill loan from the dept of energy.
I wonder if Pete Windsor is involved? BMW diesels are sweet motors. Probably over 400 lb/ft of tire shredding torque and 30 mpg :thumbup: That would make sense for cop fleets.

WickerBill
03-30-10, 12:53 PM
Problem with Carbon is they're gonna be $55k on average. They're supposed to last 250k miles each, but they'll have to use that DOE money to subsidize the cars or they won't sell many.

Methanolandbrats
03-30-10, 12:59 PM
Problem with Carbon is they're gonna be $55k on average. They're supposed to last 250k miles each, but they'll have to use that DOE money to subsidize the cars or they won't sell many. How much do regular cop rides cost? And I think the local force has to pay to pimp them out with disco lights and stuff which adds to the total cost. I see a lot of those POS Dodge things in my area.

Elmo T
03-30-10, 02:07 PM
How much do regular cop rides cost? And I think the local force has to pay to pimp them out with disco lights and stuff which adds to the total cost. I see a lot of those POS Dodge things in my area.

I can tell you my Durango was purchased on the fleet price for around $22K. That included AWD, V8, all the skid plates, tow package w/ the extra coolers, and running boards. New light bar and siren, controllers for both, radio console - minus the radio -> that was another $2,200.

I believe the Chargers were a few grand less than the truck.

They are now hawking the Ford Edge as a police package. See here:

Ford Edge Police Package (http://www.warnockfleet.com/images/stories/home_advert/ford_dege/cs-FordEdge.pdf)

extramundane
03-30-10, 02:23 PM
How much do regular cop rides cost? And I think the local force has to pay to pimp them out with disco lights and stuff which adds to the total cost. I see a lot of those POS Dodge things in my area.

Based on the public outcry over shenanigans when my city bought a round of cars last year, $20-25k fleet price for the cars, then anywhere from $8-15k worth of lights, sirens, communications, prisoner barriers, etc.

'Course, that's with our Chicago Junior-style graft & kickbacks added in, so you can probably knock a K or 2 off your local price.