PDA

View Full Version : Suzuka

stroker
10-03-09, 09:09 AM
So when was the last time you saw five different cars in the first five qualifying positions?

opinionated ow
10-03-09, 09:38 AM
So when was the last time you saw five different cars in the first five qualifying positions?

When was the last time you saw 3 major crashes in qualifying?

High Sided
10-03-09, 10:21 AM
Big shuffle on the grid...
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grid-penalties-mix-up-suzuka-grid/

Methanolandbrats
10-03-09, 12:03 PM
They did'nt make the curbs high enough when they resurfaced the track :gomer: Changes in grip on different pavement types is a nice touch too. Why did'nt they just leave it alone?

cameraman
10-03-09, 12:37 PM
They did it because they love spending money and driving asphalt rollers:rolleyes:

The pavement was crumbling. You a fan of potholes on F1 tracks?

Methanolandbrats
10-03-09, 01:33 PM
They did it because they love spending money and driving asphalt rollers:rolleyes:

The pavement was crumbling. You a fan of potholes on F1 tracks?

":rolleyes:"... nice.....I thought it was an FTG **** it up for fun exercise or extortion orders from Bernard. Excuse me for not doing extensive research and running it by a review committe before posting. We really need a finger smiley.

oddlycalm
10-03-09, 03:57 PM
I thought it was an FTG **** it up
Relax, you're right, it is. All tracks need repaving at some point but nobody held a gun to their heads and made them do it wrong. There isn't much that's not known about paving so ignorance if you own or run a race track.

oc

The Doctor
10-03-09, 08:40 PM
From the sounds of it, the FIA is just going to hit the shuffle button and see what happens. Official grid supposed to be published soon for the morning of the race, with the penalties being applied one at a time in the order they were committed... allegedly Barrichello P6, Button P9. And no Glock.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-source-confirms-adjusted-suzuka-grid/

cameraman
10-04-09, 01:01 AM
Relax, you're right, it is. All tracks need repaving at some point but nobody held a gun to their heads and made them do it wrong. There isn't much that's not known about paving so ignorance if you own or run a race track.

oc

There isn't a single damn thing wrong with the paving job. It is one of the best surfaces in F1. The crashes were rookie driver errors not the asphalt nor the curbs.

High Sided
10-04-09, 02:40 AM
There isn't a single damn thing wrong with the paving job.

:thumbup: great track, green drivers :gomer:

opinionated ow
10-04-09, 07:24 AM
:thumbup: great track, green drivers :gomer:

Wasn't it great to hear Vettel praise the track in the press conference. He did the same thing at Silverstone, Spa and Monza. I think the kid has some testes and likes real racetracks...unlike the smarmy little bloke with the unattractive singer girlfriend

oddlycalm
10-04-09, 03:56 PM
There isn't a single damn thing wrong with the paving job. It is one of the best surfaces in F1. The crashes were rookie driver errors not the asphalt nor the curbs.

I have no issue with the curbs and agree that Suzuka had one of the best racing surfaces historically. The drivers need to deal with the track as it is and if they blow it then they blow it. My issue is preservation of Suzuka.

Most of the changes such as the realigned pit exit and the asphalt runoff around 1 & 2 are fine upgrades. But by resurfacing some parts of the track, while leaving others, they created some abrupt transitions in grip and potential locations for inclusions to form in the paving material over time. This is a significant departure from "best surface." An abrupt transition at the entry to the 130R is does not live up to the same standard as the original track surface. Were Soichiro Honda still be alive my guess is that this would have been handled differently. Committees of men who don't have their name on the side of the building simply behave differently and make different decisions.

oc

BarillaGirl
10-04-09, 10:25 PM
I just want to nominate this line from Bob Varsha for the SpeedChannel Quote of the Race.

[after announcing that Piquet Jr. would be doing a test drive for the Craftsman Truck series]

"....Proving once again that Formula One is the true stepping stone to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series."

:laugh::laugh:

Race content aside, the commentary by the usual gang had delightful quantities of thinly disguised snark. I watched it off my DVR at 8am and kicked off the day with a bottle of Asahi.

SteveH
10-04-09, 11:17 PM
I watched it off my DVR at 8am and kicked off the day with a bottle of Asahi.

Excellent choice! :thumbup:

http://www.michaeljohngrist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/2009%203march%20asahi%20beer%20flame/asahi%20beer%20flame5.jpg

JohnHKart
10-05-09, 06:19 PM
Ah great stuff...I actually saved Vettel's pole lap and watched it over and over again. Just breathtaking- the beauty and art of race driving to be savored by us all. Love it!

John

Lux Interior
10-06-09, 05:50 AM
Vettel I think can easily be a multiple world champion. He's fast in the wet, fast in the dry, and seems to be able to keep up the pace like Schumi used to.

Pretty amazing that he has the former Jaguar / Stewart team out there winning races. :thumbup:

JLMannin
10-07-09, 08:21 PM
Vettel I think can easily be a multiple world champion. He's fast in the wet, fast in the dry, and seems to be able to keep up the pace like Schumi used to.

Pretty amazing that he has the former Jaguar / Stewart team out there winning races. :thumbup:

And he won a race for the former Minardi team!