PDA

View Full Version : Breaker, breaker - You got your ears on?

Elmo T
09-30-09, 12:40 PM
We are headed to Walt Disney World for Thanksgiving this year. Instead of flying, we will be driving the van (assuming the new transmission holds up :saywhat:).

I've talked to a few co-workers about preferred routes and departure times. I've had two different people tell me about their CB radios. I thought these things went out of style with mood rings and were used exclusively by the Bandit and the Snowman. ;)

Are people actually using CB radios again? Are they useful for long distance travel?

Napoleon
09-30-09, 12:48 PM
Great, now I am going to have that f-en song Convoy running through my head all afternoon.

If you buy one though you have to change your screen name here to Rubber Duck.

dando
09-30-09, 12:50 PM
Great, now I am going to have that f-en song Convoy running through my head all afternoon.

If you buy one though you have to change your screen name here to Rubber Duck.

PyK1zbYV9BE

:D

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-30-09, 01:01 PM
Sure, bolt one up, you'll meet interesting people!

dando
09-30-09, 01:04 PM
We are headed to Walt Disney World for Thanksgiving this year. Instead of flying, we will be driving the van (assuming the new transmission holds up :saywhat:).

I've talked to a few co-workers about preferred routes and departure times. I've had two different people tell me about their CB radios. I thought these things went out of style with mood rings and were used exclusively by the Bandit and the Snowman. ;)

Are people actually using CB radios again? Are they useful for long distance travel?

I don't know anyone driving a car that uses one, but the truckers still use them. Could make that run starting @ 0230 more interesting, tho. :gomer: I used to have a buddy that drove an early-80s era Monza that had a CB antenna on it...the thing was taller than the car was long. Goofiest looking car evar. :laugh: :saywhat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cb_radio

Oh, and if you'd quit trying to set a new land speed record going down the schuylkill, the tranny wouldn't be a problem. :p

-Kevin

Sean Malone
09-30-09, 01:15 PM
Peckenpaw!

My dad used to listen to a cb during his commute in the early 90's. The truckers would point out the jams.

The drive is a boring peice of cake drive. Getting around DC can be tricky but you may be dumping into 95 a bit south of that depending on where you are in PA.

If you drink, time it so you don't stay in SC on a Sunday.:)

dando
09-30-09, 01:28 PM
If you drink, time it so you don't stay in SC on a Sunday.:)

Not sure if it still is, but it used to be the law in SC to serve all liquor drinks ordered in a restaurant or a bar in the tiny airplane bottles. :saywhat: I think they finally repealed that a few years ago tho.

And yes, the DC ==> Richmond leg can be fun. Not. Many years ago it took us three hours to make the 45 minute or so drive on a Sunday evening. :irked:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-30-09, 01:36 PM
New slushbox under warranty? If so, no worries, just point it south and board it. If you go to Epcot, be sure to eat at Norway...one of the best meals I ever had. An added bonus....beautiful six foot tall Norwegian college girls make outstanding waitresses. :D Drinks are very expensive everywhere in Mouse Hell...best to drink in the room and take drunken monorail ride to destinations. Snow White looks really good after a six-pack. The last time we were there, Goofy was a real prick...don't mess with him. Have fun.

Napoleon
09-30-09, 01:42 PM
The last time we were there, Goofy was a real prick...don't mess with him.

That dude's a Mo Fo.

Sean Malone
09-30-09, 01:54 PM
New slushbox under warranty? If so, no worries, just point it south and board it. If you go to Epcot, be sure to eat at Norway...one of the best meals I ever had. An added bonus....beautiful six foot tall Norwegian college girls make outstanding waitresses. :D Drinks are very expensive everywhere in Mouse Hell...best to drink in the room and take drunken monorail ride to destinations. Snow White looks really good after a six-pack. The last time we were there, Goofy was a real prick...don't mess with him. Have fun.

I was surprised how decent the sushi was in 'Japan' also. They also sell 16oz Beck in 'Germany'. Got me through. :)

dando
09-30-09, 02:09 PM
I was surprised how decent the sushi was in 'Japan' also. They also sell 16oz Beck in 'Germany'. Got me through. :)

It should be...they bring in chefs from the various countries to prepare the food. Dinner @ Teppan Edo in Japan is quite good and entertaining (as is the Akershus in Norway). Frankly, I've never had a bad sit down dinner @ any of the restaurants in Epcot. I'm still waiting to get into Le Cellier, tho. :irked:

I prefer to get a pint or 12 @ the Crown & Rose in England. There's also a new tequila bar in Mexico, BTW. There are beer and drinking around the world maps for Epcot for those so inclined. :thumbup: And the food & wine festival is just getting started....

BTW, Elmo and I are the local WDW experts. :)

-Kevin

extramundane
09-30-09, 02:12 PM
And yes, the DC ==> Richmond leg can be fun. Not. Many years ago it took us three hours to make the 45 minute or so drive on a Sunday evening. :irked:

It's rarely a 45 minute drive anymore, regardless of day or time. Northbound always rolls on, but Southbound is a 24/7 clusterf***. :irked:

Elmo T
09-30-09, 02:29 PM
An added bonus....beautiful six foot tall Norwegian college girls make outstanding waitresses

I like to window shop in the store there for the same reason. :gomer:

The kids do like to meet the characters. No problems with Goofy yet. Some characters are more memorable - like the time my daughter met Kim Possible. :D

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=101

We aren't sure on the route of travel. A short detour to Harrisburg puts me on I-81S and I bypass a good deal of the I-95 shenanigans. We will leave late evening, so DC & Richmond should not be too bad if we opt for 95.

Transmission #4 for Odyssey will be under warranty until 3/2010. If it breaks after that, it is off to the junkyard.

On T - Between cellphones, Blackberry, Sirius, iPod, and the DVD player - I am thinking the CB radio might be overkill. Would the girls in "norway" be impressed if I show them my CB Radio? ;)

KLang
09-30-09, 03:16 PM
Some of the GPS navigators can provide traffic info when available.

It normally is usefull to confirm that, yes indeed, you are in a traffic jam. :)

dando
09-30-09, 03:30 PM
It's rarely a 45 minute drive anymore, regardless of day or time. Northbound always rolls on, but Southbound is a 24/7 clusterf***. :irked:

Well, this was back in '91 or so.

-Kevin

dando
09-30-09, 03:37 PM
On T - Between cellphones, Blackberry, Sirius, iPod, and the DVD player - I am thinking the CB radio might be overkill. Would the girls in "norway" be impressed if I show them my CB Radio? ;)

Dude, your ride may glow with all of that gear. :eek:

On the impression factor, that depends on how long your antenna is. :gomer:

-Kevin

Hard Driver
09-30-09, 05:16 PM
I used to have a CB in my car in the late 80's early 90s time frame when I was driving all day for work. I used to listen to it because it was very reliable to know where all the smokies were. Definitely better than a radar detector.

However, I highly doubt that your family wants to listen to the CB all day and hear the truckers talk about all the woman as they look down into the cars.

Sean Malone
09-30-09, 09:35 PM
I like to window shop in the store there for the same reason. :gomer:

The kids do like to meet the characters. No problems with Goofy yet. Some characters are more memorable - like the time my daughter met Kim Possible. :D

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=101

We aren't sure on the route of travel. A short detour to Harrisburg puts me on I-81S and I bypass a good deal of the I-95 shenanigans. We will leave late evening, so DC & Richmond should not be too bad if we opt for 95.

Transmission #4 for Odyssey will be under warranty until 3/2010. If it breaks after that, it is off to the junkyard.

From Harrisburg...15 to 17 that dumps into 95 at Fredersicksburg. The way to go.

nrc
09-30-09, 09:52 PM
Trivia info: RaceGrrl and nrc first met on CB radio. Yes, we are 1000 years old. :D

SteveH
09-30-09, 09:54 PM
CB radio, the internet of the 1970s. :D

Sean Malone
09-30-09, 09:55 PM
Trivia info: RaceGrrl and nrc first met on CB radio. Yes, we are 1000 years old. :D

ok...we HAVE to know handles now!!!:D Spill it!

Boatdesigner
09-30-09, 11:04 PM

If at all possible, I'd sell that van before the warranty runs out! You should be able to get a good deal on any number of replacements.

Methanolandbrats
09-30-09, 11:14 PM

:laugh: Oh ****, real life Smokey and the Bandit :thumbup:

Napoleon
10-01-09, 05:35 AM

I second that.

RaceGrrl
10-01-09, 09:34 AM

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Napoleon
10-01-09, 09:57 AM
Not. Gonna. Happen.

Spoil sport, although since Richard exhibits such a lack of creativity that he uses his initials here I get the feeling it wouldn't be something too crazy for him (you are a differant story though).

You were in high school, right? That would have been about the time of the height of the non-trucker CB craze.

nrc
10-01-09, 12:47 PM
CB radio, the internet of the 1970s. :D

It really was. In small-town Ohio without much else to do it was like a bunch of internet chat rooms for high school kids.

I'm going to leave that particular bit of trivia for RaceGrrl to handle. :D

KaBoom21
10-01-09, 04:17 PM
We had great with one of these driving to Atlanta. Randomly playing Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet through KY/TN drew some interesting responses. :rofl:

TravelGal
10-01-09, 08:27 PM
If at all possible, I'd sell that van before the warranty runs out! You should be able to get a good deal on any number of replacements.

Word.

Especially before they "take inventory." I heard an ad for "all the new 2008's and 2009's on the lot." 2008's????? Of course, it WAS a Chevy ad....

This is thread is making wish I could get back to Epcot. I'm so often so near, and yet so far, as TravelMom's days of amusement park galavanting are over.

Elmo T
10-01-09, 09:04 PM
Word.

The van warranty is up. The warranty that was on the 3rd transmission will expire in March 2010. Unfortunately, we aren't in the position to buy anything at the moment. And what is the trade-in on a 2003 Odyssey with 138K on its 4th tranny. :saywhat:

Speaking of which, a coworker's 2003 Odyssey just blew the transmission last night. :flame:

Epcot, hmmmm?

Some counter service at Tangerine Cafe sounds good to me.

On a whim. I priced out some CB radios. :gomer: They aren't exactly cheap.

dando
10-01-09, 10:18 PM
Epcot, hmmmm?

Some counter service at Tangerine Cafe sounds good to me.

Sounds like a good idea. Now just give me your ressie for lunch @ Le Cellier. :gomer:

I wouldn't expect CBs to be cheap now since they are a niche audience these days. However, you might find some on eBay a bit cheaper.

-Kevin