PDA

View Full Version : snooze - new car in 2012

G.
09-22-09, 01:17 PM
I'm on the edge of my seat.

Note to the jeaneyuses, 2010 is too ****ing late!

Indy Racing League president of competition and operations Brian Barnhart is not unlike the man who sees two cars in a showroom - one perfectly practical for the foreseeable future while the eyes wander to that "Wow" machine with the matching price tag.

Parallel paths. One decision.

During the Indy Japan 300 race weekend at Twin Ring Motegi, Barnhart said he expects specifications for a new engine and chassis package to be announced in the fourth quarter.

"My anticipation continues to be for the package to roll out in the 2012 season," he said. "We have four manufacturers that have expressed interest in participation in the series beginning in 2012, which in this (economic) environment we feel very good about. So we're continuing dialogue with them and hope to have final word from them in the next couple of months."

engine-inset-09182009Prospective engine manufacturers from around the globe, who initially met at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in June 2008, are in agreement on a specification, while the league continues to explore parallel paths in terms of chassis design.

"We have two significantly different chassis packages in terms of appearance and how different and radical they are from our current car," Barnhart said. "The one is so radically different it will entail significantly more in terms of R&D, cost and time. It's kind of out there.

Sean Malone
09-22-09, 01:27 PM
If they survive through to '12 I'll be shocked. Which is probably the intent of the date. I'm willing to bet a new car never turns a wheel.

Methanolandbrats
09-22-09, 01:29 PM
Two tubs to choose from :rofl:
Engine manufacturers around the Globe interested :rofl::rofl:
Four manufacturers interested :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Napoleon
09-22-09, 03:31 PM
Prospective engine manufacturers from around the globe, who initially met at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in June 2008

All this likely means is that Barnhart heard a Brit, Korean and a kid from Clermont sitting around the Flag Room talking about the cars they had tuned and wouldn't it be fun if they could take them out on the track.

pchall
09-22-09, 04:08 PM
I WAN

Duroc
09-22-09, 09:24 PM
Man... crawling to Honda and making a hopeless pitch goes beyond futile. That's crossing the line into crazy ex territory.

:laugh:

NismoZ
09-22-09, 10:31 PM
One of the designs is "so radically different?" OMG, they're gonna do it! Big block, full cage, front engine, 2 gears etc., etc.

opinionated ow
09-22-09, 10:39 PM
One of the designs is "so radically different?" OMG, they're gonna do it! Big block, full cage, front engine, 2 gears etc., etc.

At least there'd be chassis and engine competition...

to be honest I never understood why the IRL didn't just throw in 410ci sprintcar motors from the start-they sound not bad, they run on methanol, they're american and anybody can do them up meaning they're comparatively cheap

miatanut
09-23-09, 12:45 AM
You know what would happen.

Pimpski would do one that followed the letter of the rules, just barely, and finish five laps ahead of his closest competition.

Hameroids
10-03-09, 11:37 PM
The witch is dead - time to rebuild *something*. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway needs to be out of the racing series business, and I think that's what they want at this point. They know the 14 years has sucked it low, that's why TG is out. It has to start sometime, and the time is now.