PDA

View Full Version : Bye, bye Flav.

mueber
09-16-09, 02:33 PM
http://www.ing-renaultf1.com/en/_2009/team/index.php#/team/newsdesk/communiques/

Sean Malone
09-16-09, 02:46 PM
I am very surprised that this happened so quickly.

I may be missing parts of the story but Piquet held this to himself for a year...then gets canned and comes out with this allegation citing the telemetry as proof. I don't get it.

extramundane
09-16-09, 03:17 PM
Had Flav given Max some interrogation time w/ Mrs. Flav, this whole ugly mess could have been avoided.

Sean Malone
09-16-09, 03:30 PM
Had Flav given Max some interrogation time w/ Mrs. Flav, this whole ugly mess could have been avoided.

Danke schoen , das fraulein!!

Michaelhatesfans
09-16-09, 04:06 PM
And Pay Symonds, as well. Well, if anyone has a contract with Renault that they would like to get out of, I'd say you just found your out clause.

mueber
09-16-09, 04:29 PM
Given the rules against team orders, aren't team communications monitored?

Obviously something's rotten in Paris, but you'd think the FIA would have done something about it during the Singapore Grand Prix.

Elmo T
09-16-09, 04:37 PM
Given the rules against team orders, aren't team communications monitored?

My understanding was it was all prearranged before the start. :shakehead

mueber
09-16-09, 04:43 PM
I am very surprised that this happened so quickly.

I may be missing parts of the story but Piquet held this to himself for a year...then gets canned and comes out with this allegation citing the telemetry as proof. I don't get it.

My assumption is that Piquet kept it to himself until he was sure is F-1 career is over. It never looks good to a potential new boss to betray the old boss.

I'm still not sure it's a very smart idea. After the catharsis, he's still looking for a job.

Methanolandbrats
09-16-09, 05:06 PM
I'm still not sure it's a very smart idea. After the catharsis, he's still looking for a job.

He sucks. Driving career was over anyway. He'll end up growing oranges with Chrissy.

oddlycalm
09-16-09, 05:54 PM
Rumors after the race (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78580)

Patrick Head; "I became aware of a journalist who told me that he was told about it by Nelson Piquet 15 minutes after the race. It's a difficult one. If a journalist was told that by a driver he should have said: 'look, stop. If you carry on with this I will have to..."

What is hard for me to believe is that Flav and Symonds would imagine that twit Piquet would keep his mouth shut for more than 15 minutes, which apparently he didn't. No idea what they were thinking.

oc

Sean Malone
09-16-09, 06:03 PM
Rumors after the race (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78580)

What is hard for me to believe is that Flav and Symonds would imagine that twit Piquet would keep his mouth shut for more than 15 minutes, which apparently he didn't. No idea what they were thinking.

oc

Desperation?

oddlycalm
09-16-09, 06:34 PM
Desperation?
Maybe, but desperation about what? On one side of the coin neither Flav or Symonds were not going to starve if Renault left F1 or let them go. Hard to threaten people that can walk away and live in comfort and style.

On the other side of the coin getting caught is almost a certainty given the level of scrutiny and the fact that their plan would depend on that idiot Piquet to keep a secret. One look at the way that kid handles himself and anyone with more than a room temperature IQ would know that kid doesn't go 5 minutes without blathering whatever pops into his empty head to anyone within earshot. Flav and Symonds would have completely understood that getting caught at some point would be a certainty.

Maybe at some point we'll find out what they were thinking....:shakehead

oc

Sean Malone
09-16-09, 07:21 PM
Maybe, but desperation about what? On one side of the coin neither Flav or Symonds were not going to starve if Renault left F1 or let them go. Hard to threaten people that can walk away and live in comfort and style.
oc

Pride I suppose. Singapore was the first win for them all year long. THey did go on to win the next race. I wonder what the cheat was that bagged that one???:confused:

stroker
09-16-09, 10:47 PM
Desperation?

You don't think Piquet got a bonus check for his effort? Piquet can't own up to that and neither can they or it confirms Piquet is telling the truth.

Michaelhatesfans
09-16-09, 10:50 PM
On the other side of the coin getting caught is almost a certainty given the level of scrutiny...

This is the same pair that got away with having "Launch Control" on the Benetton when driver aids were explicitly banned. They probably figured if the FIA was stupid enough to buy their excuse that they simply forgot to uninstall the program from the previous year, then asking a driver to take a dive probably wasn't that big of a deal.

"Formula One is all about fragile egos and the merciless clock. Every single day."
-Nigel Roebuck

Sean Malone
09-17-09, 09:04 AM
You don't think Piquet got a bonus check for his effort? Piquet can't own up to that and neither can they or it confirms Piquet is telling the truth.

It seems like everyone believes him anyway.:rolleyes:

opinionated ow
09-17-09, 09:43 AM
It seems like everyone believes him anyway.:rolleyes:

I don't. This is how I see it if I were Carlos Ghosn:
*Flavio costs a fortune and has serious conflicts of interest, especially intolerable in a major business environment.
*Pat Symonds hasn't designed a winning car since Alonso first left. Time for a new chief of engineering...
*Our major sponsor pulls out after this year, we've not found a replacement yet.
*If we cop the fine (whether the case is legit is completely irrelevant with the FIA), we'll pull out anyway.
*If we don't cop a fine, we've got rid of our two biggest liabilities anyway allowing a restructure and (dare I say it) a cheaper team to operate.

mueber
09-17-09, 10:10 AM
Nazi hookers, photo-copied Ferrari blue prints, fixed races, elfin Hitler-fan managers, I'm having a hard time taking, "The Pinnacle of Motor Sport" seriously, in spite of the lameness of everything else.

oddlycalm
09-17-09, 04:07 PM
Nazi hookers, photo-copied Ferrari blue prints, fixed races, elfin Hitler-fan managers, I'm having a hard time taking, "The Pinnacle of Motor Sport" seriously, in spite of the lameness of everything else.

This stuff has always gone on but the combination of much bigger money and intense media scrutiny has changed the stakes and the level of visibility.

Cheating in motorsport has a long and glorious history in Europe and is considered a bit of a art form. My first exposure was in the late 60's and I was shocked and felt like a babe in the woods and a boy scout. In the US we stretched the rules but outright cheating in a high profile series was pretty rare but in Europe it was expected and accepted as part of the game. With the penalties become draconian I expect that cheating in F1 will become rare as well, or at least that's what the FIA seems to be after.

oc

NismoZ
09-21-09, 02:10 PM
Yeah, like that draconian penalty just handed out to Renault. How can they EVER recover!?

oddlycalm
09-21-09, 03:39 PM
Yeah, like that draconian penalty just handed out to Renault. How can they EVER recover!?

:D Yes, somewhat less than $100 million and removal from the grid.

oc

emjaya
09-22-09, 09:54 AM
The hits keep coming...

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152544/1/briatore_to_lose_qpr_role_over_singapore-gate.html

But Flavio has a plan:

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152553/1/distraught_briatore_seeking_damages_from_fia.html

:\

Methanolandbrats
09-22-09, 10:40 AM
But Flavio has a plan:

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152553/1/distraught_briatore_seeking_damages_from_fia.html

I'm having trouble with the logic. Flav cheated, admitted it, resigned, was found guilty and sentenced. Now he's going to sue because his reputation has been damaged by someone other than himself :saywhat:

opinionated ow
09-22-09, 10:56 AM
I'm having trouble with the logic. Flav cheated, admitted it, resigned, was found guilty and sentenced. Now he's going to sue because his reputation has been damaged by someone other than himself :saywhat:

But the FIA is creating a restraint of trade in an area over which they have no jurisdiction. The FIA can not remove a driver's superlicence because of who they employ to manage them. That breaches more rules than you can poke a stick at (and the EU has way too many rules)

BarillaGirl
09-22-09, 01:19 PM
But Flavio has a plan:

That's curious logic. "I know, I'll get them to subsidize me for having banned me for life."

And this leaves him without a way to "support himself"? :confused: Maybe he shouldn't have done it, then.

This path does take *cojones,* I'll give him that. (Or, as David Hobbs said during Monza, "large appendages.")

Napoleon
09-22-09, 03:35 PM

Kind of reminds you of the kid who killed his parents and after being found guilty through himself on the mercy of the court because he was an orphan.

Gnam
09-22-09, 03:51 PM

Where did he admit it?

Sean Malone
09-22-09, 03:54 PM
Where did he admit it?

Yeah, I was wondering that too.:confused:

Methanolandbrats
09-22-09, 04:59 PM
Where did he admit it?

In Flav speak he said he ordered it but it was'nt his fault the kid did it.
He also quit since he knew he was screwed. That was an attempt to save his soccer position.

Gnam
09-22-09, 05:56 PM
It's all semantics, or spin or whatever, but "resign" or "quit" give the impression it was his choice to stay at Renault. I get the impression he was told to get the **** out.

But what do the drivers he manages do now? If they terminate Flav's contract to maintain their super licenses, won't they have to pay financial penalties?

emjaya
09-22-09, 06:18 PM
But what do the drivers he manages do now? If they terminate Flav's contract to maintain their super licenses, won't they have to pay financial penalties?

He has Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Heikki Kovalainen and Romain Grosjean.

cameraman
09-22-09, 06:22 PM
But what do the drivers he manages do now? If they terminate Flav's contract to maintain their super licenses, won't they have to pay financial penalties? A well written contract would have an "out" clause where if Flav was no longer able to do the job the contract would be void.

Of course when you consider that the contract was written by Flav, said clause might not be there:shakehead

pchall
09-22-09, 07:03 PM
In Flav speak he said he ordered it but it was'nt his fault the kid did it.
He also quit since he knew he was screwed. That was an attempt to save his soccer position.

Warliokck gets sloppy seconds if this is a MILF thread! :D

emjaya
09-23-09, 09:31 AM
There was a forth person at the meeting where the crash was arranged and they were able to comfirm Flavio knew.

But just who is Witness X? ;)

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21840.html

and

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/fia-issues-details-of-court-case/

Methanolandbrats
09-23-09, 09:38 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/racer_x.jpg