PDA

View Full Version : Renault - The new McLaren?

TrueBrit
09-04-09, 01:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8239001.stm

Seems that the FIA has a need for a new whipping boy now that McLaren was neutered...

Methanolandbrats
09-04-09, 01:31 PM
Fred would NEVER take part in something like that.

Hard Driver
09-08-09, 05:26 PM
Dirty cheating round chin bastards...

Sounds like Piquet spilled the beans.... Revenge is a dish best served cold.

cameraman
09-08-09, 06:38 PM
Have you seen the video of that spin? I seriously doubt that Piquet has anywhere near the car control skills required to do that on purpose.

Methanolandbrats
09-08-09, 07:43 PM
Have you seen the video of that spin? I seriously doubt that Piquet has anywhere near the car control skills required to do that on purpose.:laugh:

oddlycalm
09-09-09, 04:24 PM
Sources claim that the Singapore race-fix matter came to light on July 26 - the day of Piquet's last race for Renault in Hungary - when his father Nelson contacted FIA president Max Mosley to make him aware of what had happened.

petulant child gets daddy to hit back for him (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78446)

oc

emjaya
09-09-09, 05:18 PM
petulant child gets daddy to hit back for him (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78446)

oc

Symonds is also reported as saying: "It's true, during the Sunday meeting with Piquet the issue of deliberately causing a SC deployment came up, but it was proposed by Piquet himself. It was just a conversation."

:saywhat:

NismoZ
09-09-09, 09:49 PM
So piquet spun on purpose...but it was HIS idea?:D:rofl: Just conversation, like when he was told if he wants a ride he'd better do it! He loses his ride later anyway so he gets pissed and tattles. Pretty straight forward. Fine 'em about a billion Ameros.

Indy
09-10-09, 11:32 AM
Lifetime bans for everyone.

Jesus, this is making Ferrari seem like the good guys. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
09-10-09, 11:45 AM
Lifetime bans for everyone.

Jesus, this is making Ferrari seem like the good guys. :shakehead I don't see a problem with banning Flav and Fred. :thumbup:

cameraman
09-10-09, 12:21 PM
I don't see a problem with banning Flav and Fred. :thumbup:

More likely Flav, Piquet & :eek:Symonds:eek:.

Nobody has said word one about Fred.

Methanolandbrats
09-10-09, 12:43 PM
More likely Flav, Piquet & :eek:Symonds:eek:.

Nobody has said word one about Fred. I don't see a problem with banning Fred :D

cameraman
09-10-09, 12:52 PM
Oh my....

I, Nelson Angelo Piquet, born July 25, 1985 in Heidelberg, Germany...say as follows:

1. Except as otherwise stated, the facts and statements contained in this Statement are based on facts and matters within my knowledge. I believe such facts and statements contained in this Statement to be true and correct. Where any facts or statements are not within my own knowledge, they are true to the best of my knowledge and belief and, where appropriate, I indicate the source of that knowledge and belief.

2. I make this Statement voluntarily to the FIA and for the purposes of allowing the FIA to exercise its supervisory and regulatory functions with regard to the FIA Formula One World Championship.

3. I am aware that there is a duty upon all participants in the FIA Formula One World Championship and all Super Licence holders to ensure the fairness and legitimacy of the Championship and I am aware that serious consequences could follow if I were to provide the FIA with any false or misleading statement.

4. I understand that my complete statement has been recorded on audio tape and that a full transcript of my audio recording will be made available to me and the FIA. The present document constitutes a summary of the main points made during my full oral statement.

5. I wish to bring the following facts to the FIA's attention.

6. During the Formula One Grand Prix of Singapore, held on 28 September 2008 and counting towards the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship, I was asked by Mr. Flavio Briatore, who is both my manager and the Team Principal of the Renault F1 Team, and by Mr. Pat Symonds, the Technical Director of the ING Renault F1 Team, to deliberately crash my car in order to positively influence the performance of the ING Renault F1 Team at the event in question. I agreed to this proposal and caused my car to hit a wall and crash during lap thirteen/fourteen of the race.

7. The proposal to deliberately cause an accident was made to me shortly before the race took place, when I was summoned by Mr. Briatore and Mr. Symonds in Mr. Briatore's office. Mr. Symonds, in the presence of Mr. Briatore, asked me if I would be willing to sacrifice my race for the team by “causing a safety car”. Every F1 race driver knows that the safety car is deployed on a track when there is an accident which leads to the track being blocked either by debris or a stationary car, and where it is difficult to recover a damaged car, as was the case here.

8. At the time of this conversation I was in a very fragile and emotional state of mind. This state of mind was brought about by intense stress due to the fact that Mr. Briatore had refused to inform me of whether or not my driver's contract would be renewed for the next racing year (2009), as is customarily the case in the middle of the year (around July or August). Instead, Mr. Briatore repeatedly requested me to sign an “option”, which meant that I was not allowed to negotiate with any other teams in the meantime. He would repeatedly put pressure on me to prolong the option I had signed, and would regularly summon me into his office to discuss these renewals, even on racing days – a moment which should be a moment of concentration and relaxation before the race. This stress was accentuated by the fact that during the Formula One Grand Prix of Singapore I had qualified sixteenth on the grid, so I was very insecure about my future at the Renault team. When I was asked to crash my car and cause a safety car incident in order to help the team, I accepted because I hoped that it could improve my position within the team at this critical time in the race season. At no point was I told by anyone that by agreeing to cause an incident, I would be guaranteed a renewal of my contract or any other advantage. However, in the context, I thought that it would be helpful in achieving this goal. I therefore agreed to cause the incident.

9. After the meeting with Mr. Symonds and Mr. Briatore, Mr. Symonds took me aside to a quiet corner and, using a map, pointed me to the exact corner of the track where I should crash. This corner was selected because the specific location of the track did not have any cranes that would allow a damaged car to be swiftly lifted off the track, nor did it have any side entrances to the track, which would allow a Safety Marshall to quickly move the damaged car away from the track. Therefore, it was felt that a crash in this specific position would be nearly certain to cause an obstruction on the track which would thus necessitate the deployment of a safety car in order to allow the track to be cleared and to ensure the safe continuation of the race.

10. Mr. Symonds also told me which exact lap to cause the incident upon, so that a strategy could deployed for my team-mate Mr. Fernando Alonso to refuel at the pit shortly before the deployment of the safety car, which he indeed did during lap twelve. The key to this strategy resided in the fact that the near-knowledge that the safety car would be deployed in lap thirteen/fourteen allowed the Team to start Mr. Alonso's car with an aggressive fuel strategy using a light car containing enough fuel to arrive at lap twelve, but not much more. This would allow Mr. Alonso to overtake as many (heavier) cars as possible, knowing that those cars would have difficulty catching up with him later in the race due to the later deployment of the safety car. This strategy was successful and Mr. Alonso won the 2008 Formula One Grand Prix of Singapore.

11. During these discussions, no mention was made of any concerns with respect to the security implications of this strategy, either for myself, the public or other drivers. The only comment made in this context was one by Mr. Pat Symonds who warned me to “be careful”, which I took to mean that I should not injure myself.

12. I intentionally caused the crash by letting go of control of the car just before the relevant corner. In order to make sure I would cause the incident during the correct lap, I asked my team several times via the radio to confirm the lap number, which I would not normally do. I was not injured during the accident, nor was anyone else.

13. After the discussions with Mr. Briatore and Mr. Symonds discussed above, the 'accident strategy' was never discussed again with either of them. Mr. Briatore discreetly said “thank you” after the end of the race, without mentioning anything further. I do not know if anyone else was aware of this strategy at the start of the race.

14. After the race I informed Mr. Felipe Vargas, a family friend and advisor, of the fact that the incident had been deliberate. Mr. Vargas further infirmed my father, Mr. Nelson Piquet, some time later.

15. After the race several journalists asked questions about the accident and asked me whether I had caused it on purpose, because they felt it was 'suspicious'.

16. In my own team, the engineer of my car questioned the nature of the incident because he found it unusual, and I replied that I had lost control of the car. I believe that a clever engineer would notice from the car's telemetry that I caused the incident on purpose as I continued accelerating , whereas a “normal” reaction would be to brake as soon as possible.

Statement of Truth

I believe and swear that the facts set out in this statement are true.

This statement was made at the FIA Headquarters in Paris on 30 July 2009 in presence of Mr. Alan Donnelly (FIA Chairman of the Stewards), Mr. Martin Smith and Mr. Jacob Marsh (both of investigations firm Quest, retained by the FIA to assist with its investigation). Notes were taken by Ms. Dondnique Costesec (Sidley Austin LLP).

Signed:

Nelson Piquet Jr.

NismoZ
09-10-09, 12:59 PM
Huh, how ethical...why didn't he just blackmail 'em instead?

stroker
09-10-09, 01:09 PM
Sounds to me like Renault will be following BMW and Toyota out the door in short order.

chop456
09-10-09, 01:38 PM
Huh, how ethical...why didn't he just blackmail 'em instead?

Maybe he did and now he's making good on his threat.

Suck it, Flav. :laugh:

Sean Malone
09-10-09, 02:21 PM
Disgruntled fired employee. Nothing more. He has no proof. He'll never drive in F1 again.

Methanolandbrats
09-10-09, 02:39 PM
.... He'll never drive in F1 again. :laugh: Probably did'nt have many offers for seats anyway.

chop456
09-10-09, 02:41 PM
Symonds attempted weaseling is no different than that of the Hamilton/Whitmarsh duo during the Hamilton/Trulli/safety car crap. He's refused to answer specific questions from the FIA. That, coupled with Briatore's being a ******* greasy scumbag of epic proportions lead me to believe they're guilty. The alleged radio transmissions about Alonso being reassured about a wacky srategy all but confirm it.

Then again, they were guilty of spying in a case not much different than the McLaren/Ferrari deal and weren't punished.

I expect nothing, but hope for the worst. :D

This is from Briatore before Renault was caught with the McLaren diskettes:

"I'm not a judge," he told Autosport when asked what McLaren's punishment should be. But, he added: "Just read the regulations: for intellectual property theft the punishment is exclusion."

:gomer:

Gnam
09-10-09, 04:15 PM
Merde. :laugh:

No French GP.
One French F1 driver.
Soon no French teams.

Can we move the FIA to different country now?

Fio1
09-11-09, 03:23 AM
Pretty bad. Well, that spells the end of Piquet's career after that fiasco as well. Why would you hire a guy and if you fire him because of poor results throws the hole team under the bus. Bye bye Renault....:shakehead

Is it me, or does it seem that Alonso is always in the middle of cheating controversy? 2 for 2, so far.

chop456
09-11-09, 06:33 AM
Pretty bad. Well, that spells the end of Piquet's career after that fiasco as well. Why would you hire a guy and if you fire him because of poor results throws the hole team under the bus. Bye bye Renault....:shakehead

Is it me, or does it seem that Alonso is always in the middle of cheating controversy? 2 for 2, so far.

He didn't cheat with Minardi. :D

Methanolandbrats
09-11-09, 11:27 AM
Looks like more courtroom racing :yuck:

oddlycalm
09-11-09, 02:25 PM
Looks like more courtroom racing :yuck:
Right, and that's the very last thing F1 needs right now.

oc

NismoZ
09-11-09, 03:31 PM
Yes, the pinochle of motorsports.

Fio1
09-11-09, 08:13 PM
Here's a new twist to the story. Piquet is saying that Flavio refused entry into the paddock of a friend of his. Flavio is saying this was due to the wishes of Piquet s.r. Apparently these two (Piquet j.r and an older gentleman) lived together and Piquet s.r did not approve. So, Flavio moved j.r into a London flat close to Flavio, so he can keep an eye on him. :saywhat: Hummmm. Interesting. Is Flavio, calling j.r gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that....

Read it yourself in Italian: http://www.repubblica.it/2009/09/sport/formulauno/12gp-monza/renault-contrattacco/renault-contrattacco.html

"Addirittura ho letto sui giornali che Piquet mi ha accusato di non avere fatto entrare un suo amico nel paddock definendomi il suo boia. Io ho allontanato il suo amico su suggerimento del padre. Questi due vivevano insieme. Non si capiva che relazione avessero. Io ho seguito il consiglio del padre. Ho fatto addirittura spostare Piquet di appartamento - ha aggiunto - e l'ho messo in un palazzo dove vivo io per tenerlo sotto controllo."

Gnam
09-12-09, 01:40 PM
During Speed's broadcast they mentioned the following interview with Flavio: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78516

Q. Do you think someone is trying to discredit you?

Flav: You know what? Whatever happens, if someone goes against the rules, they go against the rules. If I tell you to go rob a bank – afterwards, you decide whether to rob the bank or not. I don't feel I have any responsibility...

His cheating policy is very similar to his policy on fatherhood. :shakehead

SteveH
09-12-09, 02:26 PM
Read it yourself in Italian: http://www.repubblica.it/2009/09/sport/formulauno/12gp-monza/renault-contrattacco/renault-contrattacco.html

Or read it in quasi-English courtesy of Google
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.repubblica.it%2F2009%2F09%2Fspo rt%2Fformulauno%2F12gp-monza%2Frenault-contrattacco%2Frenault-contrattacco.html&sl=it&tl=en&history_state0=

I even read in the newspapers that Piquet has accused me of not having brought in his friend in the paddock defining his Executioner. I removed his friend at the suggestion of his father. These two lived together. It was not clear what relationship they had. I followed the advice of his father. I did indeed move Piquet for rent - he added - and I put in a building where I live to keep it under control. All these accusations are free Piquet.

oddlycalm
09-14-09, 04:38 PM
Renault refers Piquet jr & sr to UK authorities. (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/09/11/motosport.renault.briatore.piquet/index.html)

Blackmail is being charged in an effort by Piquet to keep his seat. Apparently two can play at house burning. Probably no extradition from Brazil but it's the thought that counts. :laugh:

oc

rosawendel
09-14-09, 05:30 PM
curious: what is the value of a single win to an otherwise established team or driver who happens to be positioned nowhere nowhere near the top of the championship standings at the time of the wreck relative to the cost of a wrecked car?

i don't get it.

cameraman
09-14-09, 05:54 PM
With Piquet driving they were probably expecting it to get wrecked anyway, all they were doing was adjusting the time frame of the impending shunt. Also by doing it on purpose it would encourage a gentler shunt...

stroker
09-14-09, 06:43 PM
curious: what is the value of a single win to an otherwise established team or driver who happens to be positioned nowhere nowhere near the top of the championship standings at the time of the wreck relative to the cost of a wrecked car?

i don't get it.

10 championship points counts for big bucks in transportation subsidies from FIA, don't they?

JohnHKart
09-14-09, 07:21 PM
check this out guys:
http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/documents/Fit%20Of%20PK.pdf

Game over for everybody, get the hanging nooses ready. Guilty!

Gnam
09-14-09, 08:14 PM
If Symonds lies to the FiA, they've got nothing on him beyond a telemetry trace and Piquet's statement. Both of which can be blamed on a lame driver out for revenge. By refusing to answer, he only paints a target on himself and gives Piquet's version credibility. What a moron.

The article rightly points out that fixing a race directly impacts both championships, and the punishment should be severe.

opinionated ow
09-14-09, 10:00 PM
If Symonds lies to the FiA, they've got nothing on him beyond a telemetry trace and Piquet's statement. Both of which can be blamed on a lame driver out for revenge. By refusing to answer, he only paints a target on himself and gives Piquet's version credibility. What a moron.

The article rightly points out that fixing a race directly impacts both championships, and the punishment should be severe.

It's hardly unbiased...

DagoFast
09-15-09, 01:29 PM
Immunity for Symonds puts Briatore in F1 firing line (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152337/1/immunity_for_symonds_puts_briatore_in_f1_firing_li ne.html)

I think the headline pretty much says it all...

SteveH
09-15-09, 02:19 PM
Flav might have more time to hang around in his thong in the future.

Should I post pictures? :p

Methanolandbrats
09-15-09, 02:43 PM
Flav might have more time to hang around in his thong in the future.

Should I post pictures? :p Do you have any of him bent over with Max behind him? :gomer:

SteveH
09-15-09, 03:43 PM
Do you have any of him bent over with Max behind him? :gomer:

soon

opinionated ow
09-15-09, 06:28 PM
Immunity for Symonds puts Briatore in F1 firing line (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152337/1/immunity_for_symonds_puts_briatore_in_f1_firing_li ne.html)

I think the headline pretty much says it all...

Max is going after all his enemies before he leaves F1 for good...

Hard Driver
09-15-09, 09:31 PM

Pretty obvious who they want to hang now.

oddlycalm
09-15-09, 09:40 PM

Bingo.

I am tired of the battling. It's more or less, in different guises, the same problems with the same people and you're never going to finish.

Max comments as he leaves the building (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78651)

oc

Fio1
09-15-09, 09:48 PM
Check this out! Radio communication during Singapore GP.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6834552.ece

emjaya
09-15-09, 10:17 PM
Bingo.

Max comments as he leaves the building (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78651)

oc

The press gave him a leaving present. :rofl:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2009/09/the-wheels-at-monza.html

Fio1
09-16-09, 01:46 AM
OK. There is no doubt that this scenario played out. Between the Piquet, Symonds & radio transmission. What do you feel the FIA will do? I believe Flavio will be the scape-goat (rightly so) and will be given the boot. Watch, Renault show him out before Monday....

#2: Do you think this deal effected Ferrari's announcement of Alonso for 2010? Wasn't it supposed to be announced at Monza? The rumor out of Italy is that because of Alonso's second time being associated with cheating, that maybe Ferrari has second thoughts about bring him on board.

chop456
09-16-09, 04:27 AM
The rumor out of Italy is that because of Alonso's second time being associated with cheating, that maybe Ferrari has second thoughts about bring him on board.

Schumacher? :rofl:

Indy
09-16-09, 06:54 AM
...being associated with cheating, that maybe Ferrari has second thoughts...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You funny.

emjaya
09-16-09, 07:22 AM
Briatore and Symonds leave Renault.

Renault has announced that team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering chief Pat Symonds have parted company with the team and that it will "not dispute" the allegations of race-fixing when it appears before the World Motor Sport Council next week.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78668

Methanolandbrats
09-16-09, 07:48 AM
Schumacher? :rofl: :mad: :big finger: :D

opinionated ow
09-16-09, 08:13 AM

Won't stop Renault getting punished, even though it is all bs! I still predict the only full factory manufacturers in F1 next year will be Toyota and Ferrari.

rosawendel
09-16-09, 08:19 AM
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/database/heidiklum/heidiklum300.jpg
"You are out. Auf Wiedersehen"

Rogue Leader
09-16-09, 08:29 AM

Thats great... so basically the team is gonna get nailed with a serious penalty for it anyway... and these two douchebags walk away.

If Renault gets kicked from F1 and I were a team member that lost my job, those two would be on the top of my Sue list... but thats just the american part of me talking ;) ... the Sicilian says we find em and break their legs. Thats way more satisfying!

Methanolandbrats
09-16-09, 08:45 AM
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/database/heidiklum/heidiklum300.jpg
"You are out. Auf Wiedersehen"

I can't believe it ever went in :yuck:

NismoZ
09-16-09, 08:45 AM
Yes, for Renault it's "THEY did it! We fired 'em so go easy on us...please?" (Too bad they waited 19 days before making up their minds.:shakehead) What better can they hope for? I was thinking Piquet might find a place in NASCAR. Don't they spin, wreck and throw things out on the track as an integral part of team strategy?:)

chop456
09-16-09, 08:59 AM
Woohoo! :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
09-16-09, 09:18 AM
Inching closer and closer to a 28 car grid of Formula Cosworth privateer junk racing in Third World ****holes on Tilke Tracks with a few spectacular, well lit street parades thrown in. And the morons are going to meet and discuss the slide in attendance http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78666

stroker
09-16-09, 09:35 AM
look at the sunny side.... This might be Toyota's chance to finish third in the mfg's championship!

Methanolandbrats
09-16-09, 11:01 AM
look at the sunny side.... This might be Toyota's chance to finish third in the mfg's championship!

In a couple years it will be safe for Honda to enter and dominate F1 the way they have dominated the IRL and ALMS. :gomer:

DagoFast
09-16-09, 11:22 AM
Inching closer and closer to a 28 car grid of Formula Cosworth privateer junk racing in Third World ****holes on Tilke Tracks with a few spectacular, well lit street parades thrown in. And the morons are going to meet and discuss the slide in attendance http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78666

Proving yet again, that history does indeed repeat itself.

Hard Driver
09-16-09, 12:52 PM

If they want to help attendence, how about lowering the ticket prices to something below ridiculous.

Methanolandbrats
09-16-09, 12:57 PM
If they want to help attendence, how about lowering the ticket prices to something below ridiculous. That's the obvious solution, but they'll never figure that out because most of the F1 decision makers think downsizing their yachts is the definition of hardship.

Hard Driver
09-16-09, 12:58 PM
The rumor out of Italy is that because of Alonso's second time being associated with cheating, that maybe Ferrari has second thoughts about bring him on board.

No, this is a great way to become a Ferrari driver. If only Alonso could be more blatent like the time Schumacher deliberately blocked the track by intentionally wrecking on the last lap of qualifying at Monaco. I mean he had his team cheat for him. Real men cheat for themselves.

NismoZ
09-16-09, 01:14 PM
Seriously, if McLaren was fined $100,000,000 for what they did, what would be a fair punishment if found guilty in THIS case? I'm thinkin' the DEATH penalty?:\

stroker
09-16-09, 02:24 PM
Seriously, if McLaren was fined $100,000,000 for what they did, what would be a fair punishment if found guilty in THIS case? I'm thinkin' the DEATH penalty?:\

It's a French company. You seriously think the FIA's going to do anything?

TrueBrit
09-16-09, 02:29 PM
It's a French company. You seriously think the FIA's going to do anything?

My thoughts exactly..

nissan gtp
09-16-09, 04:14 PM

disagree.

the crash impacted only one race. the mac cheating (assuming they used the info, which I'm not convinced of) impacted the whole season both for the car and tactics (with insight into Ferrari's design).

OTOH, it's F1, so who knows. Renault will likely withdraw as a team, wonder if Mecachrome will take over the engines :gomer:

I hope they ditch it and build P1 car

oddlycalm
09-16-09, 04:20 PM
This is just the beginning, not the end. This race result effected the WDC results and it will be widely assumed that Alonso would have had to be aware otherwise his early stop would have been suicidal.

oc

JohnHKart
09-16-09, 06:21 PM
Yes, for Renault it's "THEY did it! We fired 'em so go easy on us...please?" (Too bad they waited 19 days before making up their minds.:shakehead) What better can they hope for? I was thinking Piquet might find a place in NASCAR. Don't they spin, wreck and throw things out on the track as an integral part of team strategy?:)

Sure! It wasn't a team conspiracy, but Dale Jr spun himself out of a race a few years back to cause a caution and admitted it was done on purpose. Instead of the FIA treatment he is deified more and more, year after year as he slowly becomes the non winning marketing gem-Danicant of Nascar.

mapguy
09-16-09, 06:55 PM
disagree.

the crash impacted only one race. the mac cheating (assuming they used the info, which I'm not convinced of) impacted the whole season both for the car and tactics (with insight into Ferrari's design).

OTOH, it's F1, so who knows. Renault will likely withdraw as a team, wonder if Mecachrome will take over the engines :gomer:

I hope they ditch it and build P1 car

Well, Renault was caught with McLaren data and got nothing but a slap on the wrist. This might be a wee bit different. McLaren may have had the data but the FIA could find nothing on the '07 or '08 car that came from the book that Stepney sent Coughlan. They got a $100 million dollar fine. Mainly because Spanky hates a self made man like Ron Dennis. Renault gets caught with basically the same thing and get 'probation'.

Now, crashing a car to fix a race. That's worse IMO.

NismoZ
09-16-09, 10:16 PM
Agree.

Cam
09-17-09, 09:34 AM
Well, Renault was caught with McLaren data and got nothing but a slap on the wrist. This might be a wee bit different. McLaren may have had the data but the FIA could find nothing on the '07 or '08 car that came from the book that Stepney sent Coughlan. They got a $100 million dollar fine. Mainly because Spanky hates a self made man like Ron Dennis. Renault gets caught with basically the same thing and get 'probation'.

Now, crashing a car to fix a race. That's worse IMO.

Good analysis mappy. The Canadian air is doing you well. :D

Tifosi24
09-18-09, 12:14 PM
This is just the beginning, not the end. This race result effected the WDC results and it will be widely assumed that Alonso would have had to be aware otherwise his early stop would have been suicidal.

oc

I thought the same thing about affecting the WDC, but the only changes would have been to the non-championship contenders. If the accident didn't happen, one could assume that Massa wouldn't have messed up his first pit stop, but we will never know. Since Hamilton finished in front of Massa, if Alonso doesn't win the race, or was later disqualified, there is still no impact on the who would have become champ. The constructors championship, however, is a whole different story.

In terms of punishment, I agree with an earlier post that there should be life time bans all around. We all know that Piquet Jr. inherited even less driving ability than Dale Jr., and likely will never get another ride again, but I really think that the FIA needs to give him a lifetime ban from all international competition. If he wants to race in national series, go for it, he will still suck. He made the decision to crash. His excuse in testimony is that he was ordered to do so, which to me is no excuse if you know something is ethically wrong.

BarillaGirl
09-21-09, 08:51 AM
The reports are starting to come in.

What, no $100 million fine? :shakehead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8266090.stm

opinionated ow
09-21-09, 09:11 AM
The reports are starting to come in.

What, no $100 million fine? :shakehead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8266090.stm

The Briatore nonsense is ridiculous. There is NO way that they could legally prevent any driver managed by him holding a super licence-it'd be restraint of trade and a whole stack of other European Union regulations they'd be in breach of.

BarillaGirl
09-21-09, 10:41 AM
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/Padma-Lakshmi-Top-Chef.jpg

"Flavio. Please pack your knives and go."

TrueBrit
09-21-09, 10:59 AM
Wow...a suspended sentence...that'll teach them...:shakehead

Bet Ron Dennis is spitting blood this morning...

NismoZ
09-21-09, 02:04 PM
Yeah, "an offense of UNPARALLELED severity!" Just don't do it again!:rofl:

oddlycalm
09-21-09, 02:07 PM
Pretty much what I expected.

oc

Gnam
09-21-09, 03:52 PM
Surprised they aren't taking away the victory or docking them constructor's points for last season.

Indy
09-22-09, 12:30 AM
Max: All I want is Flavio. Give me Flavio on a silver platter and you walk with no penalty.

Evil ****s.

pchall
09-22-09, 05:24 AM
Max: All I want is Flavio. Give me Flavio on a silver platter and you walk with no penalty.

Evil ****s.

In the end this must all wind down to Briatore never sending any super models to Max's Nazi camp guard S&M parties.

BarillaGirl
09-22-09, 09:42 AM
In the end this must all wind down to Briatore never sending any super models to Max's Nazi camp guard S&M parties.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apparently, the *un*written rules of F1 are the most important.

oddlycalm
09-24-09, 03:39 PM
And now the real penalty; exit the sponsors. ING bank and insurance company Mutua Madrilena pull their sponsorship effective immediately. Flav and Symonds can be replaced a lot easier than major sponsors in the current economy.

Renault loses sponsors (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78831)

oc

TrueBrit
09-24-09, 04:07 PM
And now the real penalty; exit the sponsors. ING bank and insurance company Mutua Madrilena pull their sponsorship effective immediately. Flav and Symonds can be replaced a lot easier than major sponsors in the current economy.

Renault loses sponsors (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78831)

oc

Ouch...

NismoZ
09-25-09, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but isn't ING all over the racetracks too? They MUST get more coverage that way on TV don't you think? And ending THAT at season's end? Whoa.

rosawendel
09-25-09, 01:16 PM
if nothing else, i hope this retires that craptastically ugly color scheme for them. i await the return of renault blue and yellow.

oddlycalm
09-25-09, 03:39 PM
Yeah, but isn't ING all over the racetracks too? They MUST get more coverage that way on TV don't you think? And ending THAT at season's end? Whoa.
No, IMG is continuing it's track F1 participation and track signage, they just dumped Renault.

oc

STD
09-25-09, 03:50 PM
I would prefer a livery without Mild Seven blue or ING red/orange...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2352046479_f7968045ae.jpg

rosawendel
09-25-09, 04:08 PM
i keep forgetting that...

opinionated ow
09-26-09, 05:15 AM
No, IMG is continuing it's track F1 participation and track signage, they just dumped Renault.

oc

However ING was pulling out of all F1 activities at season's end anyway

NismoZ
09-26-09, 08:57 AM
What I thought. A convenient excuse to make a statement? WE have ethics!

NismoZ
10-06-09, 09:50 AM
Now remember...I called Piquet to NASCAR right here back on 9/16:rofl:

oddlycalm
10-06-09, 02:37 PM
Now remember...I called Piqurt to NASCAR right here back on 9/16:rofl:
We seem to be living in an age where sarcastic wise cracks and reality often meet. :laugh:

oc

NismoZ
10-06-09, 07:12 PM
'twas that!

Lux Interior
10-06-09, 08:12 PM
He's not going to Indycar, and his name is probably mud in europe.

It's ok - NASCAR is the home of cheating and race fixing so he won't have to hide anything:D