PDA

View Full Version : Go to Google Maps and Type in Laguna Seca!

Fio1
09-03-09, 12:24 PM
Go to google maps and type in Laguna Seca and do 'street view'. You do a lap with a bunch of ALMS cars. It's pretty cool!

nrc
09-03-09, 03:45 PM
very cool!

Sean Malone
09-03-09, 04:12 PM
I'm stuck in the parking lot! I keep crashing into cars.

G.
09-03-09, 04:13 PM
Nice!

Fio1
09-04-09, 12:47 AM
It's funny. I wonder why they did that? They basically, had ALMS people involved and it's not easy to organize 5 different teams to do a PR lap around the track during a race weekend like that.

chop456
09-04-09, 04:02 AM
They tried it with Grand Am but the photographer ran out of flash powder and fell off the mule cart.

BobN
09-04-09, 10:48 AM
That's very cool. I found a pic of me, my brother and my son setting up our campsite above turn 6. That was the Thursday before last year's ALMS race.

Fio1
09-04-09, 11:17 AM
That's very cool. I found a pic of me, my brother and my son setting up our campsite above turn 6. That was the Thursday before last year's ALMS race.

That's funny! Did you see them go around the track? What kind of vehicle was taking all the pics?

rosawendel
09-04-09, 01:12 PM
dude, i just took the corkscrew.

extramundane
09-04-09, 02:22 PM
It's funny. I wonder why they did that? They basically, had ALMS people involved and it's not easy to organize 5 different teams to do a PR lap around the track during a race weekend like that.

This probably accounted for 83% of the ALMS marketing budget for the past 2 years.

Fio1
09-04-09, 08:34 PM
This probably accounted for 83% of the ALMS marketing budget for the past 2 years.

They didn't do a great job, because I just discovered on a whim. I just wanted to see what google maps had for Laguna Seca.

BobN
09-05-09, 01:06 AM
That's funny! Did you see them go around the track? What kind of vehicle was taking all the pics?

I had no clue they were doing anything. There is a pic of our campsite where we are looking at the camera guy but I didn't pay any attention at the time.

There are other angles of shots that show support classes running in the background. So I guess it was pretty much done throughout the entire weekend.

meadors
09-06-09, 12:48 PM
Did you look to see if your face is fuzzed out? I zoomed in on a couple of people on the edge of the track at the corkscrew, and one guy who looked like a track worker was clearly visible the other guy was blurred out for privacy.

BobN
09-06-09, 06:39 PM
Did you look to see if your face is fuzzed out? I zoomed in on a couple of people on the edge of the track at the corkscrew, and one guy who looked like a track worker was clearly visible the other guy was blurred out for privacy.

Nope. Full on face shots. I talked to my son and he remembers the on track pics being taken. The ones in the campsites were hand camera and there is a shot of three of us looking at the camera guy taking our pic.

Steve99
09-08-09, 03:01 PM
They didn't do a great job, because I just discovered on a whim. I just wanted to see what google maps had for Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca has been sending out information about it in their promotional emails for the last month or so. It's gotten picked up by lot of websites too, like CNET (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10203136-48.html).

Sean Malone
09-08-09, 03:34 PM
Will this make auto-racing more popular?:gomer: