PDA

View Full Version : This is why VW/Porsche was wanting I4Ts

SurfaceUnits
09-02-09, 06:53 PM
Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche Boxster

However, development of the next-generation model is also well underway and images of a prototype for the car have once again surfaced. This time the prototype has been spotted on its way to Germany’s Nurburging circuit for some high-speed testing.

A rumor alleging that Porsche insiders are talking about a lightweight, turbocharged four-cylinder platform for the next-gen Boxster recently began making the rounds. The thought coincides with possible rumors of a revived 914 that could be co-branded by both VW and Porsche, targeted at different market sectors, which means the new Boxster could certainly be fitted with a highly charged four-banger.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/sml/2012-porsche-boxster-spy-shots_100227406_s.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1030927_spy-shots-2012-porsche-boxster

opinionated ow
09-02-09, 07:52 PM
I wonder if that is a Porsche version of the VW Bluesport? Last I checked they were talking about a Porsche version as a premium MX-5 rival; a step below the Boxster

pchall
09-02-09, 11:41 PM
Every trip to Germany I've made in the last half dozen years has shown me a new crop of very small displacement (down to 1litre and less) turbos both gasoline and diesel that I would buy in a heartbeat if I could get one here. They also come in a variety of sub Golf/Rabbit class chassis that make the Smart look even more silly and stupid than it was when it was essentially alone in the microcar niche.

The failure to follow the European I4t initiative is just one more detail in the slug-like slither towards a "new" IRL package that probably won't be there in 2012... the IRL really is a confederacy of dunces.

chop456
09-03-09, 02:36 AM
a new crop of very small displacement (down to 1litre and less) turbos both gasoline and diesel that I would buy in a heartbeat if I could get one here.

No you wouldn't. Drive your Buick and like it, stupid American.

Indy
09-03-09, 10:04 AM
No you wouldn't. Drive your Buick and like it, stupid American.

:laugh:

I see you are familiar with the Germans. :D