PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to find a wheelnut???

Ziggy
06-01-03, 10:04 AM
That caution last night that was used when Paul Tracy's LR wheel was left undone late in the race was way to long. Im under the notion that the stewerds were unsure of the rule, and therefore "dicussing" what the penalty was. Meanwhile, several laps were run under caution, way to many to find a wheel and nut, allowing the race finsih to suffer.

Its a message board, any thoughts?

Ziggy

cart7
06-01-03, 10:07 AM
You could see the wheel nut come off and roll inside in the slo-mo replay. That was a really long yellow for just a wheel coming off. Have they changed the rule on the loose wheel deal since last year?? After all the loose rolling rubber last year you'd think that one would be etched in their minds.

Ziggy
06-01-03, 10:09 AM
I read about it in the offseason, lose a wheel, and you lose a lap. They finally remembered what the rule was and sent Paul to the back of the serial. He lost the lap on his own!

Ziggy

racer2c
06-01-03, 10:12 AM
I was pissed that the yellow lasted as long as it did. I started yelling at the TV. I still don't understand wy they can't here me. Maybe they do and they're ignoring me. Same with the Raiders.

pchall
06-01-03, 10:12 AM
It did seem like an awfully long yellow for just tracking down a wayward wheel and a wheelnut.

I wonder if they were being indecisive because immediately invoking the penalty for losing a wheel on pit out would have seemed a draconian measure when Player's had already screwed the pooch? After all, Tracy is golden right now.

On the other hand, CART messed up with the blocking at Lausitzring and Kneifel probably had a brain freeze up there in race control.

Ziggy
06-01-03, 10:41 AM
On the other hand, CART messed up with the blocking at Lausitzring and Kneifel probably had a brain freeze up there in race control.

We have a winner! Its a tough job, buy it's HIS job. I still enjoyed the race, but a racing finish was in the cards. We were denied. Im happy for MJ just the same, but would have enjoyed a flat out car race much better. I give the race a push with a happy ending.

Ziggy

JoeBob
06-01-03, 11:05 AM
The previous yellow for RHR seemed extraordinarily long as well. 22 laps to clean up a not-so-bad one car crash seemed like a lot, espeically when it only took 15 laps to clean up the crash at the start (which also involved extracating an injured driver.) Finding PT's Tire and wheel nut took 11 laps.

The only things I could think of were that they were sending the jet dryer out to clear marbles, or that darkness made it a lot harder for them to do track inspections. But, with a totally new crew in race control I wouldn't be surprised if general confusion is the culprit.

Regardless of the reason, the yellows were a lot longer than they should have been.

Badger
06-01-03, 11:13 AM
The ridiculously long yellows for minor issues has been going on for a few years. To sit there and watch Champcars circle at 60 mph is flat out boring and its amazing that CART does not seem to understand this. I pity the people sitting out there freezing their butts off.

FRANKY
06-01-03, 12:32 PM
Pretty bad when you can take two rest room breaks.

Railbird
06-01-03, 02:31 PM
All the yellows were too long imo.

RHR's crash was a little more of a mess because the crew asked him to drive it back to the pits.

Tracy's incident took way too long to straighten up no matter what the cause. Cut that time in half and the finish might have been more exciting.

The jet dryers were trying to blow the marbles down from the top to the bottom which only cluttered the groove, go figure.

We had some frozen drunks sitting around us ruining their vocal chords during the delays for entertainment though.

Treeface
06-01-03, 11:15 PM
My guess is TV timeouts. Late season NFL games at Soldier or Lambeau Fields provide the same sort of misery. Lots of sitting around freezing (the lake makes it even colder) and waiting for the commercials to end.