PDA

View Full Version : Cable, DVD recorder, VCR...copyright etc..

Methanolandbrats
08-23-09, 10:27 PM
Taped SPEED "Always Ferrari" on my VHS recorder because the DVD recorder was busy. Tried to archive from VHS to DVD and it would'nt because "copyrighted **** cannot be copied". WTF? Is this a new? I don't have HD or digital, just expanded basic cable. I've taped and/or DVD'd many shows from multiple networks and local access and went back and forth.............first time this happened. Is there a way to defeat it? :mad:

trish
08-24-09, 07:03 AM
Try recording to your computer instead of using the VHS in the future. Just make sure you have a dual tv tuner. Good luck solving your problem.

Steve99
08-24-09, 02:22 PM
I'd been meaning to ask about this also. Earlier this year my Toshiba DVR/DVD-RW starting indicating that all recordings from SPEED (analog, and not HD) are copy-protected, and I can't copy them to DVD. In the 5 years I've had the DVR, these are the only shows that show up copy-protected, and it even includes all the "Paid Programming". Sorry, I won't by making any AbCoaster DVDs.

I emailed Cox last week thinking that it might be a glitch on their local end, but they said it comes from the source.

I hadn't worried about it much earlier in the year, but my friend is sick and I wanted to take a DVD of the F1 race over to his house to watch.

Elmo T
08-24-09, 02:48 PM
We used our Verizon DVR and an old DVD burner without issues.

oddlycalm
08-24-09, 03:11 PM
We used our Verizon DVR and an old DVD burner without issues.
Yeah, seems like the age of the burner is the issue. I have no problems burning races with my old NEC burner but the newer Plextor burner with SATA connection has the same copy protection issues other are having.

There used to be hacked firmwares for most popular burners that turn off the country code and copy protection functions that circulate on the burner forums. Never tried it myself because burners cost north of $100 then. Now that burners cost less than $25 it might be worth tryng. I'll probably keep flogging my old NEC until it croaks.

oc

Elmo T
08-24-09, 03:31 PM
Yeah, seems like the age of the burner is the issue.

oc

My DVD burner is some off-brand that I received as a gift. The problem I have is getting old 2X DVD-R disks to use. It seems to have trouble with other newer disks.

Kiwifan
08-25-09, 02:11 AM
Here in NZ SKY started their 'copy once' flag on all programs shown about two months ago, without notice. :( After a year of recording to the PVR then to DVD I thought I'd had it sussed. I think we can still record straight to DVD but that means you have to watch what is being recorded or remember to set the DVD to record late at night. ;)

SKY say they are flagging the programs due to 'copyright issues.' Anyone want to buy a stack of blank DVDs? :(

oddlycalm
08-25-09, 03:50 PM
My DVD burner is some off-brand that I received as a gift. The problem I have is getting old 2X DVD-R disks to use. It seems to have trouble with other newer disks.

Yup, without firmware updates you're stuck with whatever media it was originally designed for.

oc

Methanolandbrats
08-25-09, 05:12 PM
I ain't watching Formula Cosworth from Malaysia at 1am, do these things work? http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

High Sided
08-25-09, 06:58 PM
^^^
i'd say yes, s cable as well. this product is going in my bookmarks. thanks, good luck.