PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Mile Request From Everyone....

RaceChic
06-01-03, 01:53 AM
What do you all think? If we band together on this.........

It was a great time had by all, but it was bloody freezing up in the grandstands. After talks with many of the folks from OC, Crapwagon.com and 7G a few thoughts came to our minds.

1) The rights to the Milwaukee Mile were very recently sold by Carl Haas to the city. This puts the possibility of other series being propositioned to race there in order to increase revenue for the city as well as increase the use of the track/fairgrounds themselves. So the idea was tossed around that the IRL may be recruited as an additional venue at the track.

2) The fact that it was a night race this year may have been a one time situation being that it was the 100th year of the track.

So this brings to mind that there is a possibility that the IRL may get a date in the warmer summer months. CART has raced there for years and in the recent article, it was cited that The Milwaukee Mile wanted to do everything it could to promote and support CART as awhole at the Mile. Many of us were discussing banding together by writing letters to The Milwaukee Mile itself or whoever is most appropriate (suggestions?) in order to request a date later on in the summer. The concern was raised that the IRL could receive a date during the warmer summer months and CART would keep the colder/earlier date. Should letters to CART itself be included? Also perhaps to be included in these letter is a request to keep it a night race. It was enjoyed by all and I would venture that perhaps those that could not make it this time might like the opportunity to make a night race there in the future. This could be anothe request in the letter(s).

Questions/comments?

Terri

DjDrOmusic
06-01-03, 04:15 AM
I have a mean idea, hee hee hee...

I read an article tonight that next years race is definitely going to be under the lights, and the agreement with CART prevents Milwaukee from letting the Earl run 30 days prior to or after the CART race. So my brainstorm, run 2 races at Milwaukee, one night and one day. Run the first one as usual, but then run the second sometime in a 50 to 60 day period, leaving precious little good weather for the Earl. Before anyone starts yelling about how impractical it is, I already know it, but I just feel like being spiteful tonight to TG!;)

nrc
06-01-03, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure it would be a good idea to give up the traditional date. There is value in an established date and you don't want to just hand that over to your competitor.

The question is, how typical was the weather we saw this weekend for this time of year in Milwaukee? It looks like next year Memorial Day will be May 31st, which means Milwuakee will be the first week in June, giving them a bit more chance of decent weather.

You can't move Milwuakee any later than June because then you're getting too close to the Road America date in the same Region.

oddlycalm
06-01-03, 06:41 PM
Unfortunately, the weather in early June can always be a problem for Milwaukee, where there are only two seasons, winter and sticky w/ mosquitos. This year saw the tail end of a major front, so it was still winter.

The weather is probably fine for a day race 8-9yrs out of 10, but for a night race I'd say it's going to be cold 4yrs out of 10.

oc

Railbird
06-01-03, 06:45 PM
Average low on May 31..55 degrees

Record low .........42 degrees

Last night..........well digger's ass

Keep the date

Treeface
06-01-03, 11:26 PM
The last 3 years it has been miserable cold. I would guess lousy weather has some effect on the walkup crowd. Enough to make a difference I'm not sure.

chop456
06-01-03, 11:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/0601/1561607.html

CART recently announced it had re-upped with Milwaukee through 2006
and wanted to keep this date. But when asked about a possible move to a warmer date, Pook replied: "We're not locked into any date. We'll do whatever is in the best interests of our fans and promoter."

RaceChic
06-08-03, 11:20 AM
Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/7/049225-5487-037.html)

Looks like Milwaukee is under serious consideration by the EARL. :(
Sorry to put this here. I could have started a new thread in Other Racing. It seemed logical. Sorry if it upsets anything. :)

Also....... (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28443)

Ankf00
06-08-03, 01:00 PM
what's wrong with racing at the mile twice a year again? :)
Keep the traditional date, and then do the night race sometime later!