PDA

View Full Version : ALMS Announces Revised Class Structure

SurfaceUnits
08-16-09, 11:24 AM
Written by: ALMS Communications http://www.americanlemans.com
08/16/2009
Elkhart Lake, WI

In a progressive step designed to keep ahead of the rest of the industry, the American Le Mans Series today announced plans to overhaul its four-class structure beginning with the 2010 season. The four classes will be Le Mans Prototype (LMP), Le Mans Prototype Challenge (LMPC), Grand Touring (GT) and Grand Touring Challenge (GTC).

“In today’s changing environment, choosing the status quo over evolution is a potentially serious mistake,” proclaimed American Le Mans Series President and CEO Scott Atherton. “Our sport has always been about evolution, and our plans for 2010 and beyond reflect it.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-series-announces-revised-class-structure/

cameraman
08-16-09, 01:38 PM
The GT class would be more accurately described as GT2 because that is what it is.

pchall
08-16-09, 03:50 PM
Unless they give the P2 cars a bigger restrictor opening at the non ACO apron chains races what's the point of a unified LMP class?

As for the LMP Challenge (900kg and 450HP), the last thing road racing in North America needs is another overweight and underpowered spec racer class.

extramundane
08-16-09, 04:13 PM
Unless they give the P2 cars a bigger restrictor opening at the non ACO apron chains races what's the point of a unified LMP class?

One would hope that, except for Sebring & PLM, they're moving back towards the rules of 2007-8ish.

As for the LMP Challenge (900kg and 450HP), the last thing road racing in North America needs is another overweight and underpowered spec racer class.

Indeed. And their reluctance to immediately expand the GT Challenge to include a proper range of GT3-level cars is equally unnecessary.

cameraman
08-16-09, 04:13 PM
It could use a 150kg diet.

NismoZ
08-16-09, 08:56 PM
Sounds like they're doing what many here said they should do...combining classes. One prototype, one GT and then they go a step further and created a more powerful "challenge" class of prototypes, certainly a notch above IMSA Lights. (450hp is way more than most ladder classes, and what's wrong with trying to fill grids with more affordable cars? Isn't that the main problem the series faces, afterall?) I just wish the prototypes just didn't run in the same race as the GTs. Totally different animals. The "mods" in one race, (LMP & LMPC) preceded in the show by the "production based" GTs. Maybe even a GTO and a GTU.:D THAT was always easy to figure out! With increasing fields (if the plan works) race continuity and safety becomes a bigger issue, so keep 'em separated. I'm also wondering why the Corvette has to go from 7.0-6.0-5.5 AND add weight in the space of 2 seasons. I hope they let it breathe better at least! It's not like they're tearing up GT-2 at the moment.

FCYTravis
08-17-09, 12:27 AM
The problem is that who's going to run the LMP Challenge?

A "second-line" prototype is really not much cheaper than the real deal, and you'll end up as basically lap traffic for the big boys, with minimal TV time or media attention.

Why the obsession with two prototype classes?

extramundane
08-17-09, 09:13 AM

A "second-line" prototype is really not much cheaper than the real deal, and you'll end up as basically lap traffic for the big boys, with minimal TV time or media attention.

Why the obsession with two prototype classes?

I don't think it's an obsession with two prototype classes, rather an obsession with cheap gimmicks to boost car counts in the short term without considering the long term. Kinda like adding the Patron cars rather than a proper GT3 class.

But if only we all knew what Scott Atherton knows...:rolleyes:

Trevor Longman
08-17-09, 11:23 AM
The LMPC Class is run under a very similar formula to the 2011 LMP2 Le Mans rules. The reason they are putting them in next year is to get a jump start on the transition to the new rules and make the transition less turbulent. I like the new rules. The only 2 issues I have are that the points system for Sebring and PLM might be confusing but not much has been said about it so I'm not sure how confusing it really is. And 2, I wish that other manufacturers would be allowed into the new GTC Class and not just Porsches. Cars like the Audi LMS GT3 which is currently running over in the FIA GT3 series could come over and run the full season or maybe just Sebring and PLM. It would be just great the see all the different cars that run in GT3 spec series all over the world to come and visit the US for either of those classic races.

Concerning the LMPC class though, the one thing I think it accomplishes very well is that it is a spec series and not run by the manufacturers, instead it is run solely by privateer teams. All factory teams will be forced to go to the LMP class. In this respect, it has done what the Le Mans rules have always tried to do. LMP1 and all of its previous generations were always supposed to be the prototype class for the factory, manufacturer based teams. Where as LMP2 was always meant to be for the privateers. I personally think the solution they have come up with is great. It boosts car count in the short term, and sets them up for a better future in the long term.

FCYTravis
08-17-09, 11:52 AM
But Trevor, why would privateers want to be stuck in a second-line class?

Privateers are spending a big pile of their own money. They don't want to be lap traffic for factory efforts - they want a chance to race them on something like equal terms. Do you think privateers are enticed by the notion of playing second fiddle to megabuck factory teams? "Join us and get on TV when the Audi puts you a lap down!"

In any multi-class race, the top class always gets the lion's share of the media attention, the TV time and the fan interest. The people racing for "best in class" are relegated to below the fold. Now that the second-line class will be essentially Spec Racer LMP, I can't imagine that fan interest is going to grow.

The ALMS is creating a class that is the epitome of everything it spent years telling people was bad about the DPs. Hell, it's going to be far more spec than the DPs ever were. Oh, the irony.

Methanolandbrats
08-17-09, 12:16 PM
Although there are exceptions (Dyson, Fields, etc....), privateers can't compete with factory teams. Put the factory teams in a real prototype class, put the rich guys in a clearly defined class where they can "win". I see no problem with it. Getting Audi, Porsche, Pug and others interested in running ALMS in the real prototype class is the only hope for North American Motorsport.

opinionated ow
08-17-09, 12:22 PM
All interest I had just completely evaporated. I wonder how long before ACO forces them to change the name of the series...

73B
08-17-09, 01:19 PM
But Trevor, why would privateers want to be stuck in a second-line class?

Privateers are spending a big pile of their own money. They don't want to be lap traffic for factory efforts - they want a chance to race them on something like equal terms. Do you think privateers are enticed by the notion of playing second fiddle to megabuck factory teams? "Join us and get on TV when the Audi puts you a lap down!"

I think that this year will be a good example of what to expect. The factory teams are non-existent for the most part except for Sebring and PLM. Most of the LMP1 and LMP2 cars are competitive on the shorter courses... either could win. It is the bigger courses at Sebring and PLM where the LMP1 advantage asserts itself.

So... in most cases next season, the privateers will be in the spotlight on TV, battling amongst themselves in the combined class. They will only see the factory teams at Sebring and PLM, and even then they will compete in their respective classes. Hopefully racing an entire season against each other will give them the edge they need so they don't become lap traffic at the two big races.

FCYTravis
08-17-09, 01:42 PM
Although there are exceptions (Dyson, Fields, etc....), privateers can't compete with factory teams.

That's not true. Just look at the 1980s in IMSA for an example of what happens when you have a widely-available, highly-competitive privateer car (Porsche 962) in the series - huge grids, excellent racing and a good mix of factories and privateers.

It's only when you let factory teams run wild (Nissan, then Toyota) that privateers can't compete.

Factory teams come and go at the whims of corporate executives. Privateers will always be there, so long as rich people like going fast.

Methanolandbrats
08-17-09, 02:39 PM
That's not true. Just look at the 1980s in IMSA for an example of what happens when you have a widely-available, highly-competitive privateer car (Porsche 962) in the series - huge grids, excellent racing and a good mix of factories and privateers.

It's only when you let factory teams run wild (Nissan, then Toyota) that privateers can't compete.

Factory teams come and go at the whims of corporate executives. Privateers will always be there, so long as rich people like going fast.

I wish we could roll back the clock to that era (Weaver was my favorite), but I suspect the cost of running a customer 962 was a lot less than a customer R8, R10, Acura, Spyder, etc... So how does a sanctioning body convince manufacturers to develop real prototypes if they don't let them run wild in an elite class? That seems to be the current era problem.

pchall
08-17-09, 02:45 PM
I pretty much agree with FCY. If the P1 and P2 cars run together in one class then the LMP Challenge cars ought to be something better than underpowered and overweight spec racers. As I suggested above, the teams should be allowed to put any Grand Am engine they wanted to run into the EMT licensed Oreca chassis.

That way there would be some actual worthwhile racing for the privateers. And if the Grand Am engine rules were loosened up a bit to let them put even more HP on the road than the 525HP from 5.0L/5.5L FCY mentions, so much the better. Let the privateers in LMP Challenge not only race in their own class, but have a chance to get a well prepared car up near the LMP class in front.

FCYTravis
08-17-09, 03:47 PM
(Weaver was my favorite)

My enduring memory of the ALMS will be from the 2003 Sears Point race... working Flags 8A, I popped a huge, in-your-face waving blue at JJ Lehto's R8 as James came up to lap him in the Dyson Lola. I don't think I've ever been happier to wave a blue flag. :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
08-17-09, 06:06 PM
Atherton Speaks On New Class Structure
Written by: John Dagys
08/17/2009

On Sunday, American Le Mans Series President and CEO Scott Atherton addressed the media on the Series’ new class structure for 2010. The hour-long Q&A session brought many topics to light, but also left us with more questions over the intricacies of the regulations.

The ALMS will continue with a four-class format, but with both LMP1 and LMP2 running under a unified Prototype category, and a new spec class called Prototype Challenge being launched. GT2 will be renamed simply to GT, and the five-race ALMS Challenge category seen this season will expand to a full-season championship under the GT Challenge name.

2010 Prototype Details and Reactions

With a combined Prototype category for 2010, the Series hopes to bring back the competitiveness as seen in previous years, while still keeping a close link to Le Mans regulations at the same time.

How will that be accomplished? Simple, by making subtle changes through IMSA’s balance of performance procedure. Atherton said the Series will work within three points of adjustment: weight, fuel capacity and restrictor size to level the playing field among prototypes.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-atherton-speaks-out-on-new-class-structure/

Rus'L
08-18-09, 08:12 AM
All interest I had just completely evaporated. I wonder how long before ACO forces them to change the name of the series...

The ACO approved these changes.

Easy
08-18-09, 04:16 PM

They have targeted budgets for LMP-C at $1,000,000 which in real life means $1.25-1.5 million or ~$100k per weekend (add or subtract for enduros or sprints). Still too expensive for its actual value so any real sponsor will be very rare or very small. Unless there is something I'm not seeing the only people who will do this are Joel Feinberg types who spend their own money or rich kids blowing the family fortune. Hopefully they'll hire a co-driver instead of selling the seat but that has been more of a Grand Am practice. ALMS seems to be either all pro or all gentleman driver line-ups.

I like the idea of creating a cost effective class but make it worth its actual value for once. No one can ever seem to get that right.

miatanut
08-18-09, 06:54 PM
The GT class would be more accurately described as GT2 because that is what it is.

By far the most interesting race of the four classes these last few years.

GT1 was the fake cars. GT2 was the real GT's, based on road-going unibodies.

FCYTravis
08-19-09, 12:11 AM
I like the idea of creating a cost effective class but make it worth its actual value for once. No one can ever seem to get that right.
Yep.

Thing is, I don't think you can go much cheaper than that and still have all the whiz-bang carbon tubs, paddle shifters and other high-tech gizmos.

The big expense of endurance racing vs. sprint racing is paying for the stuff it takes to run long races. Even if you absolutely bare-bones it, you've got to have six or seven traveling guys, a fuel rig, air guns, spares, a half-dozen sets of wheels, etc. Travel costs alone go upwards of $20,000 per race for a 10-person team.

Koni works as a dirt-cheap series because the cars are (comparatively) dirt-cheap - grab a Mustang body-in-white, cage it, massage the motor and you're pretty much good to go.

Easy
08-20-09, 04:00 PM
Yep.

Thing is, I don't think you can go much cheaper than that and still have all the whiz-bang carbon tubs, paddle shifters and other high-tech gizmos.

Koni works as a dirt-cheap series because the cars are (comparatively) dirt-cheap - grab a Mustang body-in-white, cage it, massage the motor and you're pretty much good to go.

They should have skipped the carbon tub and gone with an ADR (http://www.adr-engineering.co.uk/adr3-rs-racing-car.php) or similar, put the crate Chevy LS-3 in it and saved loads of money for the competitors and maybe get more than 4 entries. Even with buying and retrofitting the engine and beefing up the drive line if necessary this package would still be less than half the proposed $380k for the Oreca set up.

Or I'd venture to guess Pratt & Miller or Riley could have put together a dedicated package that would have been cheaper than the Oreca FLM. That way you're still keeping it in the family. Of course they'd have to run Dynamic Suspension so Fat Carl still gets his cut of the action.