PDA

View Full Version : Tonights bar question

Dvdb
08-12-09, 11:44 PM
When was the last time you saw a skywriter?

One theory was FAA regulations

Another was an EPA issue.

Discuss

SteveH
08-13-09, 12:00 AM
I blame global warming. :gomer:

nrc
08-13-09, 12:47 AM
I don't think it ever worked that well to begin with. On the rare occasions when I saw them the beginning of the message was unreadable by the time they reached the end.

Any place where sky writing might make sense they now just tow banners around. That's probably much more practical given the air traffic over big events and is likely better suited to today's short attention spans.

Proof that there's no end to valuable knowledge available from Wikipedia: "Skywriting is never a permanent process."

chop456
08-13-09, 01:49 AM
Skytyping is the new skywriting.

I did see a blimp on Tuesday and no, there wasn't a mirror involved. :tony:

opinionated ow
08-13-09, 08:10 AM
Still fairly widespread in OZ

Sean Malone
08-13-09, 08:35 AM
You mean somewhere is remote airstrip bar with unemployed skywriters crying in the beer? Sounds like a Will Ferrell movie. I'm starting the screenplay!

emjaya
08-13-09, 08:39 AM
Last week, and the time before that was about a month ago. :)

It's expensive and it really needs the right weather conditions for it to work. Mostly advertising, but the one last week was for a union protest. :\

Elmo T
08-13-09, 08:42 AM
Disney trip in March of 2008. Not the old school multi-plane type, just a single plan.

Dando could probably say if they are still active. Not my video, but this is what we saw:

0z1uOWQo12M

dando
08-13-09, 09:41 AM
Disney trip in March of 2008. Not the old school multi-plane type, just a single plan.

Dando could probably say if they are still active.

The last skywriters I saw @ WDW looked something like this:

chkUyCouZKA

:gomer: :)

No, I didn't see any bible thumpers writing in the sky on our last couple of trips. Of course that could be because I was trying to score with Minnie Mouse.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/08/12/Minnie-Mouse-groper-found-guilty/UPI-63421250090482/

:shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
08-13-09, 12:35 PM
When was the last time you saw a skywriter?

they got replaced by skytexting.

Opposite Lock
08-13-09, 01:57 PM
I blame the greedy witch unions.
http://files.wizardstower.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/surrenderdorothy.jpg

:)

Greg B
08-13-09, 04:10 PM
BAck in during the 2004 election campaign, Bush had a rally at the baseball stadium downtown in Cincinnati. Someone on the other side hired a sky writer for some sort of message for John Kerry. My guess that they were going for a "Surrender Dorothy" moment over the stadium. However they didn't look into the restrictions of the no fly zone that exists for outdoor events that includes a president. The closest they could get was 10 miles away. Not terribly effective in getting the message across. I felt sort of bad for them.