PDA

View Full Version : Moving into our first house

Tifosi24
08-12-09, 10:25 PM
Well the wife and I have got most of our things packed up. We close on our first house Friday morning. Hopefully everything will come off without a hitch, I am getting really excited. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Sean Malone
08-12-09, 10:35 PM
Very cool! Does it have a shed and a deck? Every home owner MUST build a shed and a deck. It's fun!

stroker
08-12-09, 11:19 PM
Shed? Deck? F that--does it have a BASEMENT?

:cool:

TRDfan
08-12-09, 11:25 PM
Congrats Tifo !!!

Is it in Rosemount ? Nice view of the refinery ??

G.
08-12-09, 11:54 PM
NIIIIICCCEEE!

:thumbup:

Be sure to ask home improvement questions here, so we can chuckle. :p

SteveH
08-13-09, 12:02 AM
You'll enjoy late night emergency plumbing. ;)

nrc
08-13-09, 12:40 AM
Congratulations! Now you'll have hundreds of new reasons to post to the forum. We're a random collection of good and bad advice sure to provide support for whatever do-it-yourself adventures may lie ahead. :D

Gnam
08-13-09, 12:58 AM
The garage, man, what's the garage like? I bet it's nice.

KLang
08-13-09, 06:42 AM
Make sure to read every word of the hundreds of pages you will be required to sign Friday. :laugh:

Congrats :thumbup:

Tifosi24
08-13-09, 07:38 AM
In response to various questions:

It has a deck and a large storage shed.
The house is on the far west side of Rosemount, so I don't get a scenic view of the refinery.
The house has a nice basement and crawl space.
It has an oversized two car garage with a large work area.

dando
08-13-09, 09:43 AM
nrc can certainly answer any questions you have on gutters and fencing. :gomer: Congrats. :thumbup: Just don't let the missus watch HGTV now. :)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
08-13-09, 09:51 AM
DO NOT introduce yourself to your neighbors, that will only encourage them to "stop by". Once you have sorted out which ones are ********s, which ones are crazy and which ones you can tolerate, you can, if you choose, become friendly on a case by case basis.

Sean Malone
08-13-09, 09:54 AM
DO NOT introduce yourself to your neighbors, that will only encourage them to "stop by". Once you have sorted out which ones are ********s, which ones are crazy and which ones you can tolerate, you can, if you choose, become friendly on a case by case basis.

No one talks to anyone else in my neighborhood. I attribute this to 2 things, the majority are ******** New Yorkers and 2) the HOA makes everyone paranoid.

:)

dando
08-13-09, 10:03 AM

When we moved into our 'hood they had a bunch of monthly 'socials' @ various homes throughout the year. Since I'm part hermit, we stayed away...far, far away. Later I found out through some friends that were looking to buy in our 'hood that there was a swingers element in the 'hood (I thought that only happened in Utah). :gomer: Including the chick that lived behind us that got into it with another chick @ one of the parties. :eek: Sorry I missed that last party before they moved. :gomer:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
08-13-09, 10:03 AM

:laugh:

dando
08-13-09, 10:05 AM

Keep in mind out Irish friend lives in the FL...no such things as basements there unless you build them above ground (like WDW). :)

-Kevin

Sean Malone
08-13-09, 10:29 AM
Basement? Aren't those the things that flood? Blah!

Methanolandbrats
08-13-09, 10:46 AM
Keep in mind out Irish friend lives in the FL...no such things as basements there unless you build them above ground (like WDW). :)

-Kevin

Or if you're lucky enough to build above a sinkhole :D

cameraman
08-13-09, 12:49 PM
2) the HOA makes everyone paranoid.

You might want to read any HOA type paperwork very carefully before you sign it. It seems some of the ****ers around here have added a line that states that you agree to pay the developer 1% of the sales price should you ever sell the house that you just bought. Once signed it is transferable to every owner for the next 99 years. And yes that is legal & enforceable if you sign it when you buy the house:eek::shakehead:flame:

Methanolandbrats
08-13-09, 01:25 PM
I'd live in an old Econoline before I'd sign onto any HOA pseudo Stepford Wives ********.

ChampcarShark
08-13-09, 01:56 PM
Congratulations on your new house. :thumbup::thumbup:

nrc
08-13-09, 02:37 PM
nrc can certainly answer any questions you have on gutters and fencing. :gomer: Congrats. :thumbup: Just don't let the missus watch HGTV now. :)

-Kevin

Ha. I have a section of fence torn out right now waiting for a chance to take my utility vehicle (the Miata) over to buy some fence posts. :D

Napoleon
08-13-09, 03:27 PM
Does your garage look anything like this one?

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm-0915-garage-pictures,0,6495245.photogallery

Gnam
08-13-09, 04:00 PM
^ that ramp for backing out of the garage is pretty cool. But he copied Ferris Bueller. :p

back to the new house,

It has an oversized two car garage with a large work area.
Sounds nice. How long is the driveway? What about street parking?

nrc
08-13-09, 04:05 PM

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm-0915-garage-pictures,0,6495245.photogallery

Wonder if that guy has ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. :D

Napoleon
08-13-09, 04:21 PM
Wonder if that guy has ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. :D

I couldn't believe the article didn't make passing reference to it.

Funny thing is a couple of weeks ago I heard that the Ferris Bueller house had come on to the market as part of an estate sale. (http://www.sothebysrealty.com/en/PropertyDetails.aspx?R=104176896&N=12%20149%204294967274%204294966927%204294966006&lang=en&No=-1&PSeq=0)

Methanolandbrats
08-13-09, 06:49 PM

I'm not sure what that is, but it's not a garage. A garage has a big greasy work bench, at least one parts car, an engine block in the corner, messy shelves full of bits, a couple chairs and a refrigerator full of beer. That guy probably can't even change a headlight.

TravelGal
08-13-09, 07:00 PM
Congrats Tifo. Glad to see all these things coming to fruition that were talked about a few years ago. Good on ya!

First thing we did when we moved into this house was to add a valve so we could turn off the water to the yard to work on "things" without turnng off water to the entire house. :eek: Amazing the things the previous owners did not do that we thought were necessities. :D

oddlycalm
08-13-09, 07:22 PM
Congratulations. :thumbup: If you've got grass I can hook you up with a goat or two. :D

oc

TravelGal
08-13-09, 07:24 PM
Congratulations. :thumbup: If you've got grass I can hook you up with a goat or two. :D

oc

Oh, I see, so it's YOU using 456's credit card. (see other thread)

oddlycalm
08-13-09, 07:31 PM
Oh, I see, so it's YOU using 456's credit card. (see other thread)
Want to buy an airplane cheap....?

oc

datachicane
08-13-09, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure what that is, but it's not a garage. A garage has a big greasy work bench, at least one parts car, an engine block in the corner, messy shelves full of bits, a couple chairs and a refrigerator full of beer. That guy probably can't even change a headlight.

No kidding.
I can think of plenty of cars that might deserve a jewel box like that, but c'mon, an '84 Boxer? :saywhat:

I wonder where the Bricklin sleeps? :tony:

TravelGal
08-14-09, 12:38 AM
Want to buy an airplane cheap....?

oc

:rofl::rofl:

Michaelhatesfans
08-14-09, 01:42 AM
But he copied Ferris Bueller. :p

I was thinking Dan Tanna.

(bonus points if you didn't have to google that...):cool: