PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher quits

pchall
08-11-09, 05:25 AM
ESPN radio reporting Schumacher will not race this season. He is citing injuries previously sustained motorcycling.

AP story out of Berlin (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h3X8STqNW_8qVNCLRXOJoFGFfZpAD9A0J8700)

Injuries force Schumacher to call off F1 comeback

(AP) – 27 minutes ago

BERLIN — Michael Schumacher on Tuesday announced he has called off his much-anticipated Formula One comeback because of lingering injuries from a motorcycling crash earlier this year.

The seven-time world champion was to fill in for injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa and hoped to return at this month's European Grand Prix in Valencia, Spain.

Schumacher said on his Web site he informed top Ferrari officials on Monday evening that "unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe."

Schumacher, 40, retired at the end of the 2006 season. Since then, he has raced occasionally in a motorcycling series but was injured in a crash in February.

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe," Schumacher said. "That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula One yet.

"I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible. However, much to my regret it didn't work out," he added.

"Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck" which arose after he tested an old Ferrari at the Mugello circuit in Italy, Schumacher said.

trish
08-11-09, 05:33 AM
That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing him in a car again. I suppose it's possible Felipe could be recovered enough to get back into the car. If not, who's the next choice?

edit: They've already named a replacement. Badoer.

pchall
08-11-09, 05:37 AM
That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing him in a car again. I suppose it's possible Felipe could be recovered enough to get back into the car. If not, who's the next choice?

edit: They've already named a replacement. Badoer.

But, but, but Lauda says Luca Badoer is worthless.... :rofl:

Elmo T
08-11-09, 06:12 AM
It sounds like the injuries sustained in that motorcycle accident were far more severe than they were reporting. As I recall, there were hints of that at the time.

Rogue Leader
08-11-09, 07:46 AM
It sounds like the injuries sustained in that motorcycle accident were far more severe than they were reporting. As I recall, there were hints of that at the time.

40 yr old man falls off racing motorcycle at speed.... not surprising... Doesn't heal like when he was 25 anymore.

Elmo T
08-11-09, 08:50 AM
Less about being 40, more about what really happened. Original news article from 2/09:

“The checks in the hospital showed nothing and I am fine, therefore I went back home at the evening.” (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/2/12/sports/20090212181127&sec=sports)

versus this:

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe,"

:confused::saywhat:

Wheel-Nut
08-11-09, 10:01 AM
I suppose it's possible Felipe could be recovered enough to get back into the car.

I only saw the accident and haven't followed his recovery but I wouldn't think Felipe is getting back in a car this year.

Insomniac
08-11-09, 10:41 AM
Too bad, I was looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure Felipe is done for the year.

STD
08-11-09, 10:47 AM
But, but, but Lauda says Luca Badoer is worthless.... :rofl:

What is his worth other than a long termed test driver?

Gnam
08-11-09, 02:21 PM
Schumi's check must have bounced. :gomer:

Wonder how many GP tickets were sold after Ferrari announced His return?

Hard Driver
08-11-09, 02:29 PM
Brack... brack... braack...

Elmo T
08-11-09, 02:56 PM
The saga continues:

Ferrari eyes third car for Schumacher (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77626)

Di Montezemolo believes that Schumacher has plenty to offer F1 still, even though he is 40-years-old, and he has said he will not ease off in his efforts to get the rules changed so Ferrari can run three cars next year - with Schumacher a possibility to fill for as many races as he wants.

Wheel-Nut
08-11-09, 02:59 PM
Where's Ralfie?

NismoZ
08-11-09, 03:02 PM
Shot his eye out.

TrueBrit
08-11-09, 03:17 PM
Bummer! It would have been fun to bait his worshippers after he had his pointy-chinned, dirty, chopping bastard arse handed to him by Chocolate Jesus and Monsieur Button...

G.
08-11-09, 03:17 PM
Shot his eye out.

:laugh:

Back OT, looks like the DCCPCB couldn't get up to speed. :rofl:
:tinfoil:

Al Czervik
08-11-09, 04:27 PM
Less about being 40, more about what really happened. Original news article from 2/09:

“The checks in the hospital showed nothing and I am fine, therefore I went back home at the evening.” (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/2/12/sports/20090212181127&sec=sports)

versus this:

:confused::saywhat:

When did Dr. Bock go to work for F1?

oddlycalm
08-11-09, 05:26 PM

versus this:
Yeah, looks like the original incident was considerably, um, under reported. "I'm a bit sore" vs significant cranial and neck fractures = some serious spin.

oc

Elmo T
08-12-09, 03:21 PM
When did Dr. Bock go to work for F1?

More reports on the Feb accident. Each report adds a new injury. You might be right...

At a press conference alongside his doctor Johannes Peil in Geneva, it was confirmed that the seven time world champion did sustain head, neck and rib damage, as well as an artery injury, in a motorcycle testing crash in February.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090812160904.shtml

oddlycalm
08-13-09, 07:29 PM
Given all this I'm amazed that MS agreed to drive in F1 and that Ferrari went ahead and announced him in the car. Seems like the time to find out if he was up to it would have been before the announcement.

oc

Cam
08-14-09, 08:20 PM
Given all this I'm amazed that MS agreed to drive in F1 and that Ferrari went ahead and announced him in the car. Seems like the time to find out if he was up to it would have been before the announcement.

oc

Attention whoring in a time when performance is down?

Insomniac
08-15-09, 11:43 AM
Bummer! It would have been fun to bait his worshippers after he had his pointy-chinned, dirty, chopping bastard arse handed to him by Chocolate Jesus and Monsieur Button...

Button will always be a tool, it doesn't matter where he finishes.

I'm wondering if it's the other way with these injuries. Maybe they were accurately reported and it's now just being used as an excuse. Michael has been gone for 2 seasons. It seems plausible that his testing times were simply sub-par and he wasn't going to have his last memories in the car being less than competitive (i.e. slower than Kimi). He/They may've rushed to announce him for the seat before really seeing if he could do it.

grungex
08-15-09, 01:38 PM
I'm wondering if it's the other way with these injuries. Maybe they were accurately reported and it's now just being used as an excuse. Michael has been gone for 2 seasons. It seems plausible that his testing times were simply sub-par and he wasn't going to have his last memories in the car being less than competitive (i.e. slower than Kimi). He/They may've rushed to announce him for the seat before really seeing if he could do it.

:thumbup:

STD
08-15-09, 02:09 PM

:rofl::laugh:

oddlycalm
08-15-09, 06:32 PM
Attention whoring in a time when performance is down?
I guess. It sure make the team look like it's old Italian self again. Ready, fire, aim...:gomer: The post Brawn/Todt era is starting to look a lot like the pre Brawn/Todt era. :laugh:

oc