PDA

View Full Version : Mini "Big One" in The Dip at the Glen

pchall
08-10-09, 02:27 PM
Red flag for a "Helluva Good" mini Big One started by Kasey Kahne and Sam the Sham. Jeff Burton and Jeff Gordon also involved. Wiping out four cars on a road course is pretty good work. :rofl: Those four went to the infield hospital for a beer and a smoke -- don't know about other incidental contacts in the melee.

Had MRN on the radio and walked back into the office just as it was happening.

Don Quixote
08-10-09, 02:32 PM
I guess that about does it for Sam's championship hopes. :gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
08-10-09, 03:06 PM
Wiping out four cars on a road course is pretty good work. :rofl:

Damn, that might even beat Doc Bundy's record.

Elmo T
08-10-09, 03:10 PM
Video is up on the Nascar site.

That crash looks very familiar. Didn't someone get launched across the track like that last year or the year before.

Don Quixote
08-10-09, 03:23 PM
Damn, Jeff Gordon's in-car is brutal. He didn't have a chance.

pchall
08-10-09, 03:47 PM
youtube of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZgdXwPk96E)

nissan gtp
08-10-09, 03:55 PM
wow

Gnam
08-10-09, 04:43 PM
Does this mean more road courses in NASCAR's future? :laugh:

extramundane
08-10-09, 04:49 PM
Amagione how much more fun that woulda been yesterday in the rain. :gomer:

Tifosi24
08-10-09, 09:22 PM
I think those tyre barriers and the amount of runoff at that corner needs a little work. I have never been to Watkins Glen, so I don't know if additional runoff can be added at that corner. That was a very violent accident and it shows that the COT is infinitely safer than previous Cup cars.

stroker
08-10-09, 09:47 PM
Jeffie should hit the knees tonight. That looked just like the sort of impact that Big E didn't walk away from...

SteveH
08-10-09, 09:50 PM
why is the corner flag man waving a blue flag afterwards?

Sean Malone
08-10-09, 09:59 PM
Jeff Gordon is still racing? Weird. When you don't follow NASCAR it's amazing to hear how long they last. Those cars must be unbelievably easy to drive.

Elmo T
08-10-09, 10:07 PM
I think those tyre barriers and the amount of runoff at that corner needs a little work. I have never been to Watkins Glen, so I don't know if additional runoff can be added at that corner. That was a very violent accident and it shows that the COT is infinitely safer than previous Cup cars.

I tried to find it, but was lost in the innerweb. I am almost positive that there was a similar accident in the same corner a couple years back - or at least something that looked the same.

pchall
08-10-09, 10:12 PM
Jeff Gordon is still racing? Weird. When you don't follow NASCAR it's amazing to hear how long they last. Those cars must be unbelievably easy to drive.

It has been a long time since he was all scruffy and pimply on Thursday Night Thunder. But he's just 38 and will probably cash checks in the cabs for another decade.

trish
08-11-09, 05:42 AM
Jeff will retire very soon. I'll say either the end of this year or next.

High Sided
08-11-09, 09:54 AM
I tried to find it, but was lost in the innerweb. I am almost positive that there was a similar accident in the same corner a couple years back - or at least something that looked the same.

just one year ago (not the same corner, similar result)

zmLRa9zIPIo

Michaelhatesfans
08-11-09, 11:13 AM
why is the corner flag man waving a blue flag afterwards?

NASCAR uses the blue flag on road courses instead of a local yellow. Don't ask me why.:confused:

Michaelhatesfans
08-11-09, 11:17 AM
Jeff Gordon is still racing? Weird. When you don't follow NASCAR it's amazing to hear how long they last.

Not only that, but any relative of his with the same last name will be allowed a lifetime career in NASCAR as well, regardless of talent.:thumbup:

emjaya
08-12-09, 06:21 AM
The crash made the six o'clock news over here. Ambrose and NASCAR don't normally rate a mention unless there is something dramatic to show.

Who is Jim Pedley and what is he smoking?

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-tuesday-memo-somebody-find-skaife//P1/

opinionated ow
08-12-09, 09:06 AM
The crash made the six o'clock news over here. Ambrose and NASCAR don't normally rate a mention unless there is something dramatic to show.

Who is Jim Pedley and what is he smoking?

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-tuesday-memo-somebody-find-skaife//P1/

I was thinking whilst watching that if I had a spare 5 million or so, I'd hire 6 cars and take over Lowndes, Whincup, Will Davison, Garth & Leanne Tander and Winterbottom just so they can battle with Ambrose for the top 7 positions...

Elmo T
08-12-09, 09:29 AM
just one year ago (not the same corner, similar result)

Thanks for posting that. I knew they looked familiar. Same thing - car being bounced back across track after hitting tire barrier.

Easy
08-12-09, 08:38 PM
Video is up on the Nascar site.

That crash looks very familiar. Didn't someone get launched across the track like that last year or the year before.

Leffler did it Friday in Grand National practice. Almost identical but the track was clear behind.

opinionated ow
08-12-09, 08:59 PM
Leffler did it Friday in Grand National practice. Almost identical but the track was clear behind.

He got a nice tap in the rear to set it off...