PDA

View Full Version : RIP, John Hughes

dando
08-06-09, 05:10 PM
I grew up watching The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Buehler, Uncle Buck, Home Alone, Planes Trains, She's Having a Baby, etc. I've missed you for the past ~20 years and now I'll miss you forever. :cry:

Sorry no linky...breaking news, he was 59.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
08-06-09, 06:18 PM
Great movies. RIP John.

Gnam
08-06-09, 07:36 PM
Bethany: What exactly brought you to Illinois?

Jay: Some **** named John Hughes.

Bethany: “Sixteen Candles” John Hughes?

Jay: You know that guy, too? See, all these movies take place in a small town called Shermer, in Illinois, where all the honies are top-shelf, but all the dudes are whiny wussies – except for Judd Nelson, he was ****in’ harsh – but best of all, there was no one dealin’, man; then, it hits me: we could live like phat rats if we were the blunt connection in Shermer, Illinois. So we collected some money we were owed, and we caught a bus. You know what the **** we found out when we got there? There is no Shermer in Illinois. Movies are ****in’ bull****.

:D

oddlycalm
08-06-09, 07:41 PM
RIP John, thanks for all the laughs.

Uncle Buck; "I'm something of an amateur dentist (looks at 1/2" drill he's holding proudly)"

oc

TKGAngel
08-06-09, 08:20 PM
So many great movies. My favorite is still The Breakfast Club.

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong. But we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question?

Wally
08-06-09, 08:43 PM
RIP :(

G.
08-06-09, 08:53 PM

"You, are a neo-maxi zum-dweeby!"

Not sure if that's really the line, but I'll always remember it that way.

RIP, John.

dando
08-06-09, 09:06 PM

For the period I saw it (just out of HS), I agree....but She's Having a Baby was pretty cool a few years later (post college).

There's little or no gold to be dug. He's plenty old and people don't mature anymore. They stay jackasses all their lives.

:thumbup:

Of course the scene with her parents in the room wearing miner's hats while Davis and Kristy were having sex was a classic as well. :D

-Kevin

nrc
08-06-09, 09:08 PM
well that sucks. Very bad year for 50-something celebs.

John Hughes gave hope to nerds everywhere before nerds were cool. RIP.

Michaelhatesfans
08-06-09, 10:22 PM
"What was he wearing? Well, uh, let's see, he was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes... No, he's not retarded."

:rofl:

So many fantastic movies, and an endless supply of quotes. Sad he's gone, but what a fantastic legacy to leave.:thumbup:

Dvdb
08-06-09, 11:47 PM
"Those aren't pillows"

Easy
08-07-09, 12:20 AM
He was a neighbor and acquaintance of Carl Haas as well.

I think about Anthony Michael Hall cutting the Metra gates in the Ferrari in Weird Science whenever I cross Deerpath and Western in Lake Forest. Also the slushee dump when I make my emergency trip to Northbrook Court mall every Christmas Eve. He made some classic comedy flicks and no, there is no f***ing Shermer in Illinois. But there is a Shermer Road not far from most of his filming locations in the North Shore burbs.

KLang
08-07-09, 06:44 AM
RIP :( Only 59....

My personal fav would probably be Weird Science.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/103/1130697083.jpg

Napoleon
08-07-09, 09:33 AM
My personal fav would probably be Weird Science.

IMO, that woman is the perfect woman.

I honestly hadn't the slightest idea of who this guy was until I read the stories on him yesterday, but some great flicks of a certain genra. Faress Bueler (sp?) is a classic.

ZOkNIUw0c2s

KLang
08-07-09, 09:53 AM
His IMDB listing (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000455/) is amazing.

G.
08-07-09, 10:56 AM
He was a neighbor and acquaintance of Carl Haas as well.

I think about Anthony Michael Hall cutting the Metra gates in the Ferrari in Weird Science whenever I cross Deerpath and Western in Lake Forest. Also the slushee dump when I make my emergency trip to Northbrook Court mall every Christmas Eve. He made some classic comedy flicks and no, there is no f***ing Shermer in Illinois. But there is a Shermer Road not far from most of his filming locations in the North Shore burbs.He grew up in Northbrook, which was originally called Shermerville.

EVL29
08-07-09, 01:41 PM
"You, are a neo-maxi zum-dweeby!"

Not sure if that's really the line, but I'll always remember it that way.

RIP, John.

"Hey Claire,want to see a picture of a guy with elephantitis of the nuts?"-Bender

TrueBrit
08-07-09, 03:11 PM
Grew up with those movies too...Breakfast Club still the best of the bunch though...

"Any questions?"

"Yes, does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardbrobe?"

Indy
08-08-09, 01:06 AM
"Chicks can not hold the smoke. That's what it is."
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9914/33kq147t.jpg

EVL29
08-08-09, 01:51 AM
"Yo Ahab,can I bum my doobage?"

Napoleon
08-08-09, 07:06 AM
This is kind of an interesting story about Hughes: