PDA

View Full Version : So, Which Would You Rather See

NismoZ
08-02-09, 08:39 PM
...Schumacher allowed to test the F60 or Fernando allowed to race in Spain? Both, I say! With F-1 needing all the help it can get, those 2 moves seem no-brainers!

Methanolandbrats
08-02-09, 09:33 PM
I say neither one. Both are violations of the 2009 regs.

trish
08-02-09, 10:20 PM
I don't think Michael will be allowed to race if the FIA decides he and Ferrari violated the testing ban.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5466849,00.html

cameraman
08-02-09, 11:24 PM
If he really was driving an unmodified 2007 car and was using GP2 tires then he was not testing anything related to the current car.

NismoZ
08-02-09, 11:30 PM
Well aware of what the regs and the FIA say...what do YOU think? Me? The regs stink. Pointy chin aside who in their right mind thinks he or Ferrari can gain an advantage by a few miles of testing compared to the thousands done by the others? I don't care if it was on rain tires or with a turbo, it's a safety issue primarily at this point. He needs seat time, and not in a go-kart or vintage racer.

Spanish race fans ought to either boycott the race entirely or burn down some grandstands if they do go. You know, non-violent protest.:D Do a 25,000 person sit-in on the starting grid!. Is Brawn sitting one out because they lost a spring that almost killed a guy? I'm certain the "regs" make a distinction but I don't see it.

Methanolandbrats
08-02-09, 11:36 PM
Shumi used to get up to speed pretty quickly, so friday should be enough. I just wish the debut was at Spa instead of a s***** street race.

Michaelhatesfans
08-03-09, 12:53 AM
Spanish race fans ought to either boycott the race entirely or burn down some grandstands if they do go. You know, non-violent protest.:D Do a 25,000 person sit-in on the starting grid!.

I'm picturing Ghandi driving a Gran Torino.:\

Hard Driver
08-03-09, 02:01 PM
Fair is fair.

The rules say NO Testing. The guy that took Bourdais seat did so, as a rookie to F1, with no testing. Why should a 6 time world champion get to test then? Oh that's right, it is Ferrari, the rules only apply to the other teams.

And as far as the Renault penalty, I hope it is overturned because it is stupidly harsh for a bad wheel nut. The last race was ruined for them, that is penalty enough. There is no need to ruin 2 races for a single pit stop mistake. This will not do anything to prevent pit stop mistakes in the future. Also, there have been so many other pit stop mistakes, like leaving with a fule hose, and they never get race bans. So the penalty is ridiculously out of sync with historic penalties for similar offenses.

oddlycalm
08-03-09, 04:21 PM
The rules say not testing and Toro Rosso already faced that.

The race ban for Renault was nonsense. It ran counter to F1 history and makes no sense on the face of it.

I'd like to see FOTA start issuing fines and penalties to the FIA for idiotic officiating.

oc

Insomniac
08-03-09, 04:28 PM
That's what Friday practice is for. Do they still allow practice engines/gear boxes?

The Renault penalty was so over the top. Fine the team and be done with it.

NismoZ
08-04-09, 07:33 PM
Toro Rosso NEVER asked for an exemption...do you think any team or driver would have complained if that team had asked for the kid to get a few laps of seat time before he raced? Maybe ONE. I leave it up to you to name which one. The rule must change. You can't tell a rookie to just sink or swim half way through a season and live with the results. It smacks of the old "team/car is worth WAY more than the driver". To hell with it! Strike a compromise with "replacement" drivers. Even a many time World Champ! Support new talent, support safety, support fair competition! (What did Haug say?)

oddlycalm
08-04-09, 09:46 PM
Toro Rosso NEVER asked for an exemption...do you think any team or driver would have complained if that team had asked for the kid to get a few laps of seat time before he raced? Maybe ONE. I leave it up to you to name which one. The rule must change.

Totally agree on the rule, blows. The team that objected to Toro Rosso testing Alguersuari was said to be Williams.

Williams objects to test (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77534)

oc

miatanut
08-04-09, 11:59 PM
The rules say NO Testing. The guy that took Bourdais seat did so, as a rookie to F1, with no testing.

So a current F1 driver is not allowed to drive even a go-cart?

If it's not the current car (tub from a previous year's specification) and they don't use the current wings, undertray, engine, electronics, etc, in other words, nothing the same as the current car unless it hasn't changed since the season of the car being used, how is that testing?

He has to get in shape, and driving a high-performance open wheeler is the best way to do that.

NismoZ
08-05-09, 09:32 AM
:thumbup:

Sean Malone
08-05-09, 09:43 AM
i read Shumy drove a Ferrari at their test track last Friday. So get in the car and drive... or don't. Much ado about nothing.

indyfan31
08-05-09, 10:16 AM
Toro Rosso NEVER asked for an exemption...do you think any team or driver would have complained if that team had asked for the kid to get a few laps of seat time before he raced? Maybe ONE. I leave it up to you to name which one. The rule must change. You can't tell a rookie to just sink or swim half way through a season and live with the results. It smacks of the old "team/car is worth WAY more than the driver". To hell with it! Strike a compromise with "replacement" drivers. Even a many time World Champ! Support new talent, support safety, support fair competition! (What did Haug say?)
Then don't fire your current driver in the middle of the season and put a rookie in his seat. :shakehead

NismoZ
08-05-09, 10:17 AM
No, it's something alright. It's F-1 crap that is (maybe) saying even THAT was a rules violation. I guess Ferrari even threw on GP2 slicks on the 2 yr. old car in an attempt to demonstrate they had NO intention of testing anything other than the driver...and still there are complaints. Williams?:cry:

Methanolandbrats
08-05-09, 10:17 AM
Testing ban is to stop 24/7 development of the current car based on test miles. Shumi can drive anything he wants except the new car. He should not be allowed to drive the new car till friday of race weekend. **** Fred and Flav, who cares what happens to them. :D

NismoZ
08-05-09, 10:25 AM
Massa wasn't fired and Toro Rosso did not question the rule. The new guy at TR had been racing OFTEN prior to his move up. Michael has not. Two different situations. Perhaps the rule could simply be retro-amended to reflect that difference and make F-1 safer and more fair at the same time. Maybe Williams would threaten to quit over that move and a new team could join up!;)

NismoZ
08-05-09, 10:32 AM
True about F&F..I just want to see somethin' HAPPEN in Spain. You know, something besides civil war...the people coming together, uniting in a common cause! PS-I hope Hamilton wins that one!:D

mueber
08-05-09, 02:54 PM
Let him test.

No one is going to come the race to see Alguersuari race except his mom.

Schumacher will sell tickets. He'll sell even more tickets if he does well. We all want to do well, right?

cameraman
08-05-09, 03:33 PM
This is a crock. Schumacher can drive the f2007 for a million miles between now and the race. Nobody can complain or so much as say boo. What he can't drive is the F60. So don't give me any crap about Schumacher not being able to practice or it won't be safe.

As Williams prevented Alguersauari from testing the 2009 Toro Rosso sled then the only consistent thing is for Schumacher to be equally denied.

pchall
08-05-09, 04:17 PM
I think he needs to be made to compete in at least one IRL race before they re-up his Super License. :p

NismoZ
08-05-09, 04:28 PM
Sure, IF testing a million miles in the vintage racer (in which he lapped faster than the F60 did in the Jan. test) is deemed legal. Maybe the FIA can DISqualify him before he even gets to qualify. What was the difference again between Barichello's spring and Alonso's wheel? The spring didn't meet the "deadly enough" test?