PDA

View Full Version : XIII Fina World Championships

opinionated ow
07-31-09, 12:37 PM
Is anybody else watching this? I have to admit that despite my hatred of these suits I haven't been disappointed. It's nice to see several different names up there, I just hope that all these other athletes can get back up to this standard without the suits.

Saying that....Gooooooooo Britta Steffen! Good before the suits, good with them and bound to be good when they're finally gone. Did I mention she's somewhat cute?

AND Phelps, superstar effort. Jessicah Schipper too. I'm loving it...

oddlycalm
07-31-09, 02:53 PM
I was disappointed that my "naked" initiative did not prevail with FINA. It was a blow to tradition and the last chance swimming had to become a mainstream spectator sport. I put failure of the naked initiative down to backroom deals by the greedy manufacturers. :D

oc

oddlycalm
08-03-09, 04:42 PM
Caught some of the finals over the weekend. In the end I had to watch with the volume turned off due to NBC's idiotic coverage. They just kept hammering on the same tired stories about US swimmers and would jump in to make all manner of excuses when one of them didn't win. It was as brain dead as coverage of an IRL race. Total fail. Britta Steffen wins two events and sets world records but NBC is so busy reminding us (for the zillionth time) that 8th place finisher Torres is 42yrs old that Steffen barely gets a mention let alone an interview. :rolleyes:

Any time there was a break in the action they would replay one of Phelp's races complete with slow motion montages and breathless commentary. :yuck:

oc

opinionated ow
08-03-09, 08:14 PM
Caught some of the finals over the weekend. In the end I had to watch with the volume turned off due to NBC's idiotic coverage. They just kept hammering on the same tired stories about US swimmers and would jump in to make all manner of excuses when one of them didn't win. It was as brain dead as coverage of an IRL race. Total fail. Britta Steffen wins two events and sets world records but NBC is so busy reminding us (for the zillionth time) that 8th place finisher Torres is 42yrs old that Steffen barely gets a mention let alone an interview. :rolleyes:

Any time there was a break in the action they would replay one of Phelp's races complete with slow motion montages and breathless commentary. :yuck:

oc
We had that here on the news coverage but not the actual commentary. One (the Aussie broadcaster were good and fair) but NINE News here said Britta only won the 100m freestyle because she wore the supersuit. Would've been nice for them to see she was Olympic champion though! She actually apologised for beating the Aussie whilst wearing it when the Australian media came after her!
Britta=Awesome (and hot, did I mention that :p )