PDA

View Full Version : RM On the Irl

Corner5
07-30-09, 09:04 AM
from speed-

"
Q: Do you think it will be possible for any new administration to continue, much less advance IndyCar beyond this season? The long term deal with the "Versus" network, the long term deals with tracks (i.e. Infineon) that are on the verge of being broken, the inability to come up with a formula, and the yawn-fest high speed parades all seem to be dragging the series in the wrong direction. Could we see another USAC/CART breakaway with the team owners running things?

Napalm Nick, Locust Grove, VA

RM: Not sure there's any solid plan for the new car or engine right this moment but it might not matter since just about everyone is searching for money and not having much luck. With TG not able to help teams like the old days, we may be screwed until 2012, providing IndyCar makes it that long. The standing joke the past few weeks has been that Tony George is going to start a breakaway series next year. But seriously? No, I don't see any owners groups forming, although Kevin Kalkhoven said never say never last weekend when I asked what would happen if the IRL were shut down or sold.

Q: With all this talk of the Hulman-George sister selling the IRL or not, who do you think might be some prospective buyers? I know you said possibly Forsythe (although unlikely), formation of a new CART style series, or one of the current team owners (likely Penske, Ganassi, or Andretti. Probably Penske cause he's really the only one who can swing that kinda coin). But who else?? Also, I know from your past posts that buying this series is not too enticing an investment, what I don't understand though, is why? What are the annual running costs of this thing, and how much is coming through the door as income? And why is the overhead so much? Between ticket sales, TV money, merchandising, and sponsorship how are they not covering themselves?

Hollywood Sheen

RM: The rumor lately has been John Menard going in with TGeorge to buy the IRL and I called Menard two weeks ago. He said he wants to do whatever is necessary to help open wheel racing survive (including being the title sponsor) but that he was told the IRL was not for sale. Operating the IRL costs somewhere in the $50 million neighborhood ($26 million alone in TEAM money) and the payroll is staggering. No title sponsor, no big TV money like NASCAR or F1, and it's not a pretty financial picture. I imagine if IndyCar could get down to only losing $10 million a year it would be happy.

Somebody put the league out of its misery, PLEASE! :shakehead

Sean Malone
07-30-09, 09:22 AM
What is KK insinuating...that it's possible the IRL will fold or that some team owner(s) will buy it? If it is hemorrhaging that severely, why is IMS so firm about it not being for sale, or is it a 'timing' thing?

Elmo T
07-30-09, 09:23 AM
...and the payroll is staggering

How many are actually on the IRL payroll? Who are these folks? How does it compare to CART/CCWS?

SteveH
07-30-09, 10:02 AM
I wonder if the only way the IRL would be sold is through a bankruptcy proceeding. ;)

pchall
07-30-09, 12:33 PM
Miller sez:

I imagine if IndyCar could get down to only losing $10 million a year it would be happy.

Wasn't CCWS expected to lose US$3+ million in 2008 before the plug was pulled ?

Chief
07-30-09, 01:40 PM
For the sake of argument....

What is the IRL worth? Just about every contract is worthless, and I mean no one in the stands, poor TV viewership and every sponsor chased away in disgust.

It's already the biggest racing sinkhole ever developed in AOW. There was no momentum from the unification because the wrong side won. $600 million PLUS wasted and a devistated shambles of a once great sport left in the IRL's wake. All it has is a depleted Indy 500 that clings to the tattered remnants of it's long heritage. An infusion of $$$ can't even save it.

IMS dug themselves a 6 foot hole and they are in the bottom of it with no way out. :shakehead

SteveH
07-30-09, 02:30 PM
from Bruce (don't tase me, bro) Martin at Versus (http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/81761/?UserDef=true&catID=2257&tf=bruce_martin.tpl)

Angstadt was also asked about the rumor that Tony George and John Menard were putting a group together to purchase the IndyCar Series away from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation.

“I would guess Mr. Menard has some liquid assets,” Angstadt said. “Any good company could put a book together and see what the IndyCar Series is worth. If the group associated with those rumors were the likes of Tony George and John Menard I don’t think anyone would have a lot of anxiety about it. But if it were a group out of New York City that is going to flip it five years from now, that might cause a little anxiety.

“I would view those that feel that Tony George does not have a major role in open-wheel racing are very naïve. He may not have the title or the day-to-day operating of the League but the influence and life-long commitment to open-wheel racing is there and as strong as it has ever been.”

Don Quixote
07-30-09, 02:44 PM
Which one do you like best?

"Tantrum, the Sequel"
"Return of the Tantrum"
"Tantrum II"
"Tantrums" (like Aliens)

stroker
07-30-09, 02:48 PM
What is the IRL worth? Just about every contract is worthless, and I mean no one in the stands, poor TV viewership and every sponsor chased away in disgust.

The only asset the IRL could have would be a long term contract with IMS for the 500. If they could establish a viable formula and foundation with IMS then build on it the series MIGHT have some value.

Napoleon
07-30-09, 02:58 PM

"Tantrum, the Sequel"
"Return of the Tantrum"
"Tantrum II"
"Tantrums" (like Aliens)

Think outside the box. Maybe something like "Hissy Fit: Conniption 2009" or something like that.

Duroc
07-30-09, 05:33 PM
hello...uh..ahh..it's Tony..uh..no...your brother. Uh it's going good, ah, um I'm working on something,...uh, but I'll need to borrow some.. uh.. money...

G.
07-30-09, 05:40 PM

"Tantrum, the Sequel"
"Return of the Tantrum"
"Tantrum II"
"Tantrums" (like Aliens)

Already voted (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=259138&postcount=29)

oddlycalm
07-30-09, 05:53 PM
Think outside the box. Here's a few more off the top of my head. This is fun...

"Tantrum II: Final Failure"
"Gone Without A Whimper"
"Appetite For Incompetence"
"Failure Is My Middle Name"
"Meet The Douchebags"
"Walking And Mumbling"
"King Of Fools"
"Still Perplexed After All These Years"

oc

Don Quixote
07-30-09, 06:02 PM
"Meet The Douchebags"
:laugh: :laugh:

How about "Midnight in the Garden of Stupid and Evil" :D

datachicane
07-30-09, 06:14 PM
"Children of the Corn"
"Ghost Ship"
"Die, Monster, Die!"
"The Bad Seed"
"Empire of the Ants"

trish
07-30-09, 06:23 PM
You Only Fail Twice

oddlycalm
07-30-09, 06:24 PM
How about "Midnight in the Garden of Stupid and Evil" :D
Nice, that has a nice ring to it and just about sums it up. :laugh:

oc

stroker
07-30-09, 07:24 PM
You Only Fail Twice

Now that's effing funny!

nissan gtp
07-30-09, 09:40 PM
What is KK insinuating...that it's possible the IRL will fold or that some team owner(s) will buy it? If it is hemorrhaging that severely, why is IMS so firm about it not being for sale, or is it a 'timing' thing?

so KK sells Champ Car, goes earling, buys earl, brings back the cossie and DP01. we win

needs more ,,,,,,

:rofl:

STD
07-30-09, 10:49 PM
,,,,, :laugh:

matthole
07-30-09, 11:43 PM
from Bruce (don't tase me, bro) Martin at Versus (http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/81761/?UserDef=true&catID=2257&tf=bruce_martin.tpl)

“I would view those that feel that Tony George does not have a major role in open-wheel racing are very naïve. He may not have the title or the day-to-day operating of the League but the influence and life-long commitment to open-wheel racing is there and as strong as it has ever been.”

:saywhat:

Angster should have his office cleared out by security and his crap boxed up and waiting for him when he shows up for work tomorrow morning for saying that.

Of course, the dumbass sisters let FTG run the empire for 20-ish years, they are likely far too stupid to do anything about such obviously unacceptable public statements from someone they are paying.

Watching this outhouse go up in flames repeatedly is the only entertainment value this abomination has. :gomer:

JLMannin
07-31-09, 06:29 AM
Well, if the speedway pushes through the speedway redevelopment program, the land under the speedway could become more valuable than the speedway itself. You know, just like Ontario Motor Speedway. :D

Napoleon
07-31-09, 08:19 AM
You know, just like Ontario Motor Speedway. :D

I assume that there is tract housing on that old site, and with the California real estate market a significant portion of it in foreclosure now.

Well before hitting send I checked my favorite real estate finance site and Ontario is not exactly sitting pretty.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2008/07/ghost-towns-in-inland-empire.html

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2008/11/unemployment-hits-inland-empire-hard.html

Duroc
07-31-09, 12:15 PM
I assume that there is tract housing on that old site

It was vacant for decades. Now it's mostly commercial; office buildings, hotel, an arena and some big box.

Napoleon
07-31-09, 12:24 PM
It was vacant for decades. Now it's mostly commercial; office buildings, hotel, an arena and some big box.

Interesting. I do commercial real estate work and just checked our records and have done 2 projects involving Ontario Mills, but that looks like it is across the street. Here is the site today:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ontario,+CA&ll=34.071556,-117.563410&spn=0.015332,0.027479&t=h&hl=en