07-28-09, 08:10 PM
great news, now Audi needs to come over :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
07-29-09, 09:56 AM
Peugeot Confirms Two Cars For Petit Le Mans
Written by: ALMS Communications http://www.americanlemans.com
07/28/2009
Braselton, GA

Peugeot confirmed today that it will attempt to add the trophy from Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA6 to its collection with entries into the cornerstone event for the American Le Mans Series. The reigning 24 Hours of Le Mans champion will send two of its diesel-powered Peugeot 908 closed-top prototypes to compete on North America’s grandest sports car racing stage, just as it did to open the season at the 57th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-peugeot-officially-confirms-two-cars-for-petit-le-mans/

opinionated ow
07-29-09, 11:12 AM
Peugeot Confirms Two Cars For Petit Le Mans
Written by: ALMS Communications http://www.americanlemans.com
07/28/2009
Braselton, GA

Peugeot confirmed today that it will attempt to add the trophy from Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA6 to its collection with entries into the cornerstone event for the American Le Mans Series. The reigning 24 Hours of Le Mans champion will send two of its diesel-powered Peugeot 908 closed-top prototypes to compete on North America’s grandest sports car racing stage, just as it did to open the season at the 57th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-peugeot-officially-confirms-two-cars-for-petit-le-mans/
What's the go with all these wanky event names recently?

SurfaceUnits
07-29-09, 11:54 AM
sponsorship dollars

TrueBrit
07-29-09, 02:42 PM
Now if the Lola-Aston's were showing up as well I might have a legitimate excuse to cross the mason-dixon line...;)

SurfaceUnits
07-31-09, 04:41 PM
ORECA Confirms Entry For Petit Le Mans
Written by: SPEED Staff
SPEEDtv.com
07/31/2009
Portimão Algarve (POR)

The Team ORECA-Matmut-AIM will race in the Petit Le Mans at the end of September to prepare for next year’s Le Mans 24 Hours. After a good result in this year’s twice-around-the-clock classic, the Hugues de Chaunac-led squad is determined to do everything in its power to prepare for the 2010 event in the best possible conditions. Thus, the team has decided to race in the blue-ribbon events of the American Le Mans Series.

ORECA won the ALMS GT title in 1999, and is preparing to go back to the Road Atlanta circuit. This trip to Georgia fulfills several requirements as de Chaunac explains:

“First of all, two of our partners, the Easydentic Group and Huntsman Advanced Materials, are very motivated by a challenge in the USA. Technically speaking, it’s also a great help for us to use a race lasting ten hours to make progress. For budgetary reasons we had to make a choice; we’re going to the Petit Le Mans. Unfortunately, we won’t be at the Nürburgring, but we’ll be back at Silverstone for the final round of the Le Mans Series.”

Two weeks after the Silverstone 1000kms, the team will race in the Petit Le Mans on September 26.

“In the context of the third year of the Le Mans Challenge, we must progress and this event will enable us to move up a step,” de Chaunac added. ‘It’s longer, 1000 miles or ten hours on one of the most demanding circuits in America, and we’ll be taking on Acura. It’ll be a good yardstick, as it’s a manufacturer which is running to the same regulations as us. As its name implies, the Petit Le Mans will provide top-class preparation for the next Le Mans 24 Hours.”

ORECA was based at Road Atlanta when it was racing in the States, and it has already competed on this track with Vipers, but it will be a first for the ORECA 01 prototype.

“The whole team will find itself in a different environment with new restrictions,” he said. “Everybody’s going to learn – learn more and learn more quickly. It’ll be a rewarding trip.”

The Petit Le Mans is the second-last round in the American Le Mans Series and will take place on September 26. The team will release more details on the program at a later date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreca_01
http://www.planetlemans.com/2009/06/14/team-oreca-matmut-finished-fifth-at-le-mans/

Gnam
07-31-09, 05:05 PM
Laguna too?

Come out to the coast, have a few laughs...

SurfaceUnits
07-31-09, 08:33 PM
LMS: Lapierre, ORECA Secure Algarve Pole
Written by: John Dagys
07/31/2009
Portimão Algarve (POR)

Team ORECA Matmut scored its first Le Mans Series pole Friday at Portimão, with Nicolas Lapierre turning a 1:31.020 lap time in qualifying for Saturday night’s 1000km race. The Frenchman, piloting the No. 11 ORECA 01 AIM, was the star of the evening, fending off challenges from the No. 007 Aston Martin Racing Lola and ORECA’s sister entry of Bruno Senna.

ORECA’s pole at the new, state-of-the-art Algarve circuit in southern Portugal comes just hours after announcing plans of entering the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in September. The Hugues de Chaunac-led squad will return to the U.S. after nearly eight years since running the successful factory Dodge Viper GTS program to back-to-back American Le Mans Series titles.

On Saturday, Lapierre and co-driver Olivier Panis will roll off alongside the No. 007 Aston Martin Racing Lola of Stefan Mucke, Tomas Enge and Jan Charouz, which clocked the second quickest time in the hands of the fast German.

Bruno Senna, aboard ORECA’s No. 10 AIM-powered prototype, improved to third late in the 20-minute session, bumping pole favorite and pacesetter in practice, Danny Watts in the Strakka Racing Ginetta-Zytek 09S.

The No. 009 Lola Aston Martin of Darren Turner was fifth quickest overall and in LMP1, just 0.536 seconds slower than Lapierre’s pole-winning time.

http://assets.speedtv.com/images/article_assets/102/1020878/1020878_article_img_large1.jpg http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/lms-lapierre-oreca-secure-algarve-pole/

chop456
08-25-09, 06:22 AM
great news, now Audi needs to come over :thumbup:

Audi to join Peugeot in Petit Le Mans

By Steven English Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 09:24 GMT

Audi will join Le Mans rival Peugeot in contesting Petit Le Mans next month, fielding two of its R15 TDis.

http://www.racer.com/Audi-to-join-Peugeot-in-Petit-Le-Mans/article/147207/

TrueBrit
08-25-09, 05:00 PM
Now if the Lola-Aston's were showing up as well I might have a legitimate excuse to cross the mason-dixon line...;)

Like I said before....

NismoZ
08-25-09, 09:08 PM
Oh, c'mon, 2 out of 3 ought to be enough. Throw Acura and the rest in as #3 and you have 75% of who needs to be there to make it interesting. Ask yourself WHY your Englo faves won't be there, be honest, then go and enjoy! (still too far for ME though!:D)

SurfaceUnits
08-25-09, 10:00 PM
Like I said before....

if you do make it across the line, take a few yankees back north with you when you leave

chop456
08-26-09, 03:08 AM
Like I said before....

“Audi’s confirmation of a two-car attack in defense of its titles at Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA6 sets up what will be one of the most anticipated sports car racing events ever in North America - and rightfully so,” he continued. “Remaining unbeaten at Road Atlanta will be a herculean task for Audi with the likes of regular American Le Mans Series competitors Patrón Highcroft Racing and de Ferran Motorsports with Acura, Intersport Racing and Corsa Motorsports among others whom will contend. Adding entries from Peugeot, ORECA and potentially additional high-profile teams and manufacturers from Europe makes the job that much tougher.
http://www.americanlemans.com/index_news.php?n=13643

:tony:

Lux Interior
08-26-09, 07:58 AM
I am flying down there no way will I miss this. :thumbup:

NismoZ
08-26-09, 09:29 AM
There ya go,TB, there's POTENTIAL! I just completed a 1500mi. round-tripper to Tennessee , maybe I can stretch it a little next time to Road Atlanta? I'd love to see Enge and Turner again.

extramundane
09-04-09, 02:37 PM
Entry list is out (http://imsaracing.net/2009/events/petit/2009%20ALMS%20Petit%20Le%20Mans%20Entries.pdf). 17 prototypes, 14 GTs, though I think everyone will be shocked if the ECO fog machine and the Poledance Special actually show up and race.

nissan gtp
09-04-09, 07:41 PM
going to be another great Petit ! Can' t wait to get there .... 3 weeks from today !

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

chop456
09-04-09, 11:16 PM
going to be another great Petit ! Can' t wait to get there .... 3 weeks from today !

We should get together. I'll PM you my cell number.

extramundane
09-05-09, 11:14 AM

Sure, rub it in. :cry:

:damnedjob:

G.
09-05-09, 05:09 PM
We should get together. I'll PM you my cell number.

Couldn't he just find you in the Peugeot paddock with a stack full of Peugeot hero cards?

:gomer:

chop456
09-06-09, 12:53 PM
Couldn't he just find you in the Peugeot paddock with a stack full of Peugeot hero cards?

:gomer:

Good point. I'll be wearing my Peugeot bike shorts, too. Rowwrrr! :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
09-06-09, 01:09 PM
Good point. I'll be wearing my Peugeot bike shorts, too. Rowwrrr! :thumbup: Be careful where you camp :D

NismoZ
09-07-09, 12:30 PM
Damned "job"? What r those? What th...you work for the gummet er somethin'?

extramundane
09-07-09, 12:38 PM
Damned "job"? What r those? What th...you work for the gummet er somethin'?

If you're referring to me, I work in education, so mid-August through early October = no vacation time.

SurfaceUnits
09-12-09, 11:32 AM
Successful Shakedown For Drayson Lola-Judd

Twelve days ago a bare, carbon fibre tub rolled into a small workspace at the back of the Lola Cars facilities in Huntingdon, England. On Sept. 10, a complete, fully liveried and fully functional Lola B09/60 Coupe, powered by Judd's GV5 V10, completed a trouble-free, four hour shakedown run at the Stowe Course at the Silverstone Circuit.

http://assets.speedtv.com/images/article_assets/102/1024660/1024660_article_img_large1.jpg
Drayson Racing's new Judd-powered Lola completed a
successful shakedown at Silverstone on Thursday.
Next stop: Road Atlanta for the 12th annual Petit Le Mans. (Mike Hoyer/Jakob Ebrey Photography)

It is difficult to overstate the complexity and remarkable nature of this accomplishment. Few outside the tight-knit Drayson Racing team thought the project would see a race in 2009, let-alone reaching the team's self-inflicted deadline of the 10 hour/1000 mile Petit Le Mans on Sept. 26. However, at approximately 10:30 a.m., Jamie Campbell-Walter completed the first lap of the shakedown run. Over the course of the next several hours both Paul Drayson and two-time British GT Champion Jonny Cocker had turned laps in the car.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-successful-shakedown-for-drayson-lola-judd/

SurfaceUnits
09-12-09, 11:33 AM
RSR Jaguar XKR To Debut At Petit Le Mans

After months of speculation and delay, Rocketsports Racing announced Tuesday that it will debut its Jaguar XKR GT2 at the Petit Le Mans later this month. The East Lansing, Mich.-based team plans to use the final two American Le Mans Series races of the year for testing and development, in the run up to a full-season assault on the 2010 GT championship.

Drivers, tire partners and further details will be revealed in a press conference on Sept. 24 at Road Atlanta, although it’s believed team owner Paul Gentilozzi will pilot the car alongside two other professionals with extensive sportscar backgrounds.

http://assets.speedtv.com/images/article_assets/102/1024292/1024292_article_img_large1.jpg
Rocketsports Racing's new Jaguar XKR will have little
track time before rolling into Road Atlanta for the Petit Le Mans. (RSR)

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-rsr-jaguar-xkr-to-debut-at-petit-le-mans/

cameraman
09-14-09, 02:01 PM
Rahal just upped the ante a bit by bring in Jörg Müller and Andy Priaulx as third drivers for the M3s. Nothing like a pair of factory drivers to speed things up a bit.

pchall
09-14-09, 07:47 PM
Hey! Aston Martin Racing? You've just won the European LeMans Series with your Lola Aston Martin LMP1s! What are you going to do?

What are you going to do?

Come on.

What are you going to do?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/am-lmp1-web.jpg

Lux Interior
09-24-09, 03:35 PM
I fly to ATL tomorrow night. Going to be at the track for the entire day:thumbup:

I will post photos. :D

extramundane
09-24-09, 06:22 PM
Looks like you can scratch an Acura.

http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/images/news/2009_ALMS_PLM_ACC_Sharp.jpg

Fio1
09-24-09, 06:35 PM
That's a massive shunt! That is a fast part of the track turn 2. Look at the fencing in the above picture. Luck boy Scott Sharp.

Trevor Longman
09-24-09, 06:57 PM
According to radio le mans, he was going flat out through turn 1 cut to the right side of the track on exit to set up for turn 2 and clipped one of the GT2 porsches exiting the pits. The car went sideways at about 150 mph and got air under the car, causing it to blow over. It hit the catch fencing in the air drivers side up. After the initial impact the car flipped 2-3 times before coming to a stop. Sharp walked away but as you can see, the car and the fencing were less fortunate. Unless by some miracle they can fix that car, I don't think they will be racing on Saturday or for that matter, at Laguna Seca. :(

Gnam
09-24-09, 08:38 PM
Special delivery for Mr. Dayton. :thumbup:

The new Acura tub will arrive at Hartfield Jackson Airport in Atlanta at 7 a.m. Friday. The Patron Highcroft Racing team will transport the tub to their Road Atlanta paddock area for construction of a new car beginning at 9 a.m. The team will begin building the new chassis in hopes of being ready for Saturday's start of the 1,000-mile Petit Le Mans.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=346564&FS=ALMS-LEMANS

FCYTravis
09-25-09, 11:24 AM
The only thing Rocketsports debuted was a shiny-looking chassis with the slight issue of entirely lacking a drivetrain.

Seriously, was anyone expecting anything different from Paul Gentilozzi?

TrueBrit
09-25-09, 12:45 PM
Looks like you can scratch an Acura.

http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/images/news/2009_ALMS_PLM_ACC_Sharp.jpg

Bloody hell!!! :eek:

G.
09-25-09, 01:09 PM
The only thing Rocketsports debuted was a shiny-looking chassis with the slight issue of entirely lacking a drivetrain.

Seriously, was anyone expecting anything different from Paul Gentilozzi?Paul was expecting something different from Paul.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RSR DEBUTS THE JAGUAR XKR GT2 RACECAR AT PETIT LE MANS

BRASELTON, GA (September 24, 2009) - In preparation for a full championship effort in 2010, RSR has entered the Jaguar XKR GT2 in the American Le Mans Series' famed event the Petit Le Mans with the intention to introduce the car and utilize the track time for testing and development. The Jaguar brand is launched into what everyone considers the deepest GT2 class in the history of the ALMS and will have to face off against the likes of Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Corvette, Viper, and Ford.

From a production car, the Jaguar XKR makes an excellent racecar. "The Jaguar XKR is exceptionally strong and rigid, and the construction method is in advance of the conventional steel stamping that we see in cars today," explained Paul Gentilozzi, RSR team owner. "That allows RSR to build a lighter, stronger, stiffer racecar. Also, the basic aerodynamic design of the XKR has a low drag coefficient and more than sufficient downforce."

:laugh:

extramundane
09-25-09, 02:52 PM
^^ If there's one thing Paulie G knows better than anyone, it's fake Tatas.

Qualifying stream just ran footage of Sharp's crash. That's one lucky SOB.

Gnam
09-25-09, 03:54 PM
Scary.

I361oZvBqYE

Reminds me of Legge at Road America.

extramundane
09-25-09, 03:59 PM
Scary.

I361oZvBqYE

Reminds me of Legge at Road America.

Except that Legge had a mechanical failure, whereas Sharp had a talent failure.

oddlycalm
09-25-09, 04:57 PM

:D

oc

Trevor Longman
09-25-09, 05:08 PM
I'm not gonna sit here and say that Sharp isn't a wanker, but to be fair, in this case he couldn't actually see the porsche on the right due to the massive size of the front fenders. I would use the term talent failure more to describe his dazzling performance at Indy in 2001. ;)

NismoZ
09-26-09, 09:23 AM
You just described the cause of the great majority of racing "accidents." Pros of MUCH higher standing than Scott Sharp have been guilty of the same. In fact I'd say ALL have at some point in their careers. Some make it, some don't. Sure hope your accident investigation skills didn't contain the element of "he deserved it." Sounded like it. Sorry if I offend, I'm still stuck in "scary" and "bloddy hell" mode after seeing that. Race on, Scott.:thumbup:

Trevor Longman
09-26-09, 10:28 AM
No no absolutely not. I was just saying how while he isn't the best driver out there and he does tend to crash a lot, this crash was not his fault be any means. It was impossible for him to see the porsche exiting the pits right onto the racing line.

Don Quixote
09-26-09, 11:59 AM
Man, is he lucky that he didn't get impaled on one of those fence posts. :eek:

Lux Interior
09-26-09, 05:08 PM
Been here at RA all day. The Peugeots and Audis have just been incredible and as the track was drying up this morning they were really going through the esses fast. Just glued to the track. Never been to this track before. Tons of great spots for photos. I am amazed at how close you can get to the cars at some spots.

FTG
09-26-09, 05:32 PM

If you have no ****en clue how dangerous racing is, and how much balls it takes just to get in the car, you shouldn't follow the sport. When soldiers die in combat do you laugh at them for being crappy soldiers too?

cameraman
09-26-09, 05:36 PM
If you want to see a "talent" failure on a rather routine basis just watch John Field overdrive the car and either put it off or hit somebody in every single damned race:irked:

Gnam
09-26-09, 05:40 PM
The Speed broadcast mentioned Sharp had mud on the top of his helmet because both roll hoops buried themselves in the soft ground. Dang.

per Radio Le Mans: Audi just said their new car may not make Sebring next year...

Gnam
09-26-09, 05:42 PM
If you want to see a "talent" failure on a rather routine basis just watch John Field overdrive the car and either put it off or hit somebody in every single damned race:irked:

I :heart: Field's bezerker driving style. Drive it like you stole it. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
09-26-09, 05:50 PM
If you have no ****en clue how dangerous racing is, and how much balls it takes just to get in the car, you shouldn't follow the sport. When soldiers die in combat do you laugh at them for being crappy soldiers too? Sharp is not dead.

FTG
09-26-09, 05:53 PM
Sharp is not dead.

The Speed broadcast mentioned Sharp had mud on the top of his helmet because both roll hoops buried themselves in the soft ground.

He missed breaking his neck by half an inch. Ha. Ha. Ha. That's hilarious. But I'll modify my question to be technically correct. Do you laugh at soldiers who come back form Afghanistan quadripelegic because they have "no talent"?

NismoZ
09-26-09, 05:56 PM
I think I asked this here way back when those pointy dual roll "bars" first appeared...what's the thinking there? Who DIDN'T think they would dig in? Wouldn't a wider flat bar or hoop be safer? Were they just interested in better aerodynamics? If they were, they'd better go back to a safety first mentality. I wonder how they look under the Peugeots and that BP Mazda?

Methanolandbrats
09-26-09, 05:56 PM
He missed breaking his neck by half an inch. Ha. Ha. Ha. That's hilarious. WTF are you talking about? Who is laughing about it?

extramundane
09-26-09, 06:22 PM
If you have no ****en clue how dangerous racing is, and how much balls it takes just to get in the car, you shouldn't follow the sport. When soldiers die in combat do you laugh at them for being crappy soldiers too?

Yeah, that's it exactly. :rolleyes:

FTG
09-26-09, 08:10 PM
Yeah, that's it exactly. :rolleyes:

So what did you mean when making your comment after learning Sharp almost died?

extramundane
09-26-09, 09:11 PM
So what did you mean when making your comment after learning Sharp almost died?

OK, you got me. I wish death and/or dismemberment upon all racing drivers, soldiers, police, fire and rescue.

Oh, and drama queens too. Can't forget them.

NismoZ
09-26-09, 09:17 PM
Now boys. How 'bout that rain, eh?:) Who the heck won, anyway? I tuned in for the finish and saw an old Sebring Acura test goin' on. Drought's over I guess?

Methanolandbrats
09-26-09, 09:23 PM
Now boys. How 'bout that rain, eh?:) Who the heck won, anyway? I tuned in for the finish and saw an old Sebring Acura test goin' on. Drought's over I guess? McNish screwed the pooch. The look on Wolfgang's face was priceless. Red flagged for monsoon. Track too ****ed up to race. Don says it's done deal and Frogs win.

Lux Interior
09-26-09, 09:58 PM
Frenchies won I stayed for the podium. Frank montagny and stefan serrazin were first. Mcnish and capello third.

Fio1
09-26-09, 11:15 PM
what a s**** way to end an important race. Just pure luck for both Peugeot & Ferrari and crap luck for Audi & Corvette. This shows that even in Endurance racing leading a lap at 3 1/2 hours is as important as leading on the last lap....lame!:thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
09-26-09, 11:55 PM
Mother Nature dominates the podium.

NismoZ
09-27-09, 12:29 PM
Per that Radio LeMans statement mentioned by Gnam, Ullrich is saying it's up to the ACO. If they uphold Peugeot's protest of Audi's front end aero design then Audi is out. Can't run a car for 1-year only. Makes sense. Lobbying? A threat? Whatever, he's saying they weren't ready this year but will be next, but can't be if they have to do a whole new car. (Autosport)

Fio1
09-27-09, 06:54 PM
should have restarted race today.

oddlycalm
09-27-09, 08:18 PM
McNish made a nice move at the start, shame it turned into a frog choker. It blows to have such an important race get drowned out.

oc

Andrew Longman
09-28-09, 08:55 AM
should have restarted race today.

In every other series I can think of, the race has to go beyond halfway to become official. They raced just shy of half the advertised 1000 miles. Seems sponsors, teams looking for prize money, team strategists and fans would have a legit gripe for not running at least 500 miles.

If nothing else, once the rain stopped I think they could have fit in a "sprint" to the 500 mile mark before the 11 pm curfew.

However it was better that the usual NASCAR ploy of dragging out the red flag to fill tv time and sell more beer and hot dogs when every one knows they can't possibly dry the track out in time to fit it in on Sunday.

FCYTravis
09-29-09, 01:24 AM
Problem is, everyone's hotels and flights are booked assuming the whole shebang is done Saturday night, departing Sunday mid-morning/afternoon. You want to tell the team owners they have to last-minute rebook everything at the cost of $zillions, so whatever handful of fans are left (they all had flights/hotels too...) can watch the other half?

What about all the race officials/volunteers? Rebook their stuff too? At whose cost? Can they get Monday off work?

It's easier to do it in NASCAR 1. because the teams have a bunch more money 2. because a lot of the teams have their own aircraft.

As much as I've ragged on IMSA, the folks up in Race Control had a whole bagful of awful choices on Saturday night and probably picked the least worst one.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the track for the poor drainage... but then again, maybe there was so much water, it wouldn't have mattered what they did, kinda like the 2003 Mario Andretti Grand Prix of Rain America?

Andrew Longman
09-29-09, 01:47 PM
Sure there were a boatload of bad choices.

I was just pointing out that every other series seems to have a set definition of what is an official race if for no other reason than to avoid legal squabbles over whether, for example, a sponsor commitment has been met or prize money equitably distributed.

And with such a rule in place teams and others can plan/budget for the possibility of the race running the next day and/or accept the risk of not preparing.

Methanolandbrats
09-29-09, 02:08 PM
That weeks rainfall was probably a 100 year event, maybe even less frequent. No way to plan for it. Drainage? Drain to where, the rivers and basins were full.