PDA

View Full Version : RIP Walter Cronkite

datachicane
07-17-09, 08:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_walter_cronkite

:(

trish
07-17-09, 08:53 PM
He lived to a nice old age. Rest in peace.

TravelGal
07-17-09, 08:58 PM
Oh myyyyyyyyy. RIP Walter. You got us through many a day. May all your future ones be glorious.

dando
07-17-09, 09:19 PM
The last of a great breed. RIP, Mr. Cronkite. :(

-Kevin

Dvdb
07-17-09, 10:30 PM
Ironic that the voice of the early space program dies on the 40th anniversery weekend of the moon landing.

Godspeed, Walter, it was a life well lived.

Brickman
07-18-09, 01:11 AM
I "was" always a CBS news watcher.

Retired too soon.

RIP

nrc
07-18-09, 01:18 AM
And that's the way it was...

Godspeed, Walter.

redmist
07-18-09, 01:48 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_walter_cronkite

he's no keith olberman,but he was a pretty good journalist back in the day. yeah, i'm being sarcastic.

"front engines, americans, and retards from baltimore, bring it back."

Napoleon
07-18-09, 05:38 AM
RIP Walter.

I can remember watching him while he gave causally counts for the day in Vietnam and NYSE volumes measured in the low 10s of millions during the early 1970's recession.

Napoleon
07-18-09, 10:51 AM
The NY Times obit mentions that he raced sports cars without giving any other details. I would assume it was club racing in SCCA or something like a Porsche or Corvette club.

extramundane
07-18-09, 11:42 AM
The NY Times obit mentions that he raced sports cars without giving any other details. I would assume it was club racing in SCCA or something like a Porsche or Corvette club.

http://www.examiner.com/x-11005-San-Jose-Sports-Car-Examiner~y2009m7d17-Walter-Cronkite-racecar-driver

Volvo is the car that was most associated with Cronkite in his amateur racing career. In those days Volvo were very competitive in the Little Le Mans endurance races at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut which were won by Volvos in 1957, ’58 and ’61, and in 1959; Cronkite co-drove a Volvo PV444 on to a B division class win and 3rd overall.

In addition to his racing with the Volvo team at Lime Rock, Walter also drove a Lotus 11 sports car at the Connecticut track and drove a Lancia Appia Zagato in the 12 Hours of Sebring along with two other drivers to finish 40th overall, 5th in the Grand Touring 1300 class. He shared the track at that race with such luminaries as Carroll Shelby, Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Stirling Moss and Jim Hall.

:thumbup:

oddlycalm
07-18-09, 01:50 PM
RIP Walter. You will forever remain an icon of that all too brief age when accuracy and integrity were still the most valuable currencies in reporting.

oc

Andrew Longman
07-19-09, 10:38 AM
Ironic that the voice of the early space program dies on the 40th anniversery weekend of the moon landing.

Godspeed, Walter, it was a life well lived.

Everything I learned about the space program (and I was a fanatic who would play sick to stay home from school to watch launches) I learned from Cronkite

At Lime Rock yesterday they started the race with a moment of silence and mention that Cronkite was a race fan and great friend of Lime Rock park.

Also, it is ironic that Cronkite outlived Dan Rather's career, the man CBS pushed in to push Cronkite out.

dando
07-19-09, 10:54 AM
Also, it is ironic that Cronkite outlived Dan Rather's career, the man CBS pushed in to push Cronkite out.

From everything I've read, Cronkite wasn't forced out. Heck, CBS News ratings were better than ABC and NBC combined. He wanted to go out on top, and it just happened that Rather's contract was coming up. They needed to keep him from going to ABC or NBC, and re-upped him to a big deal (ala the Leno-Conan-NBC stupidity). Cronkite was supposed to be a contributor much like Brokaw is @ NBC, but changes @ the top of CBS News screwed that up...and I'm sure Rather had a hand in that. :( I really enjoyed Cronkite's science specials post-CBS News. :thumup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
07-19-09, 05:22 PM
fQNYmdgny2g

he liked breakfast tacos too
4lL9k7OfhGI