PDA

View Full Version : Surfing (water not internet)

TravelGal
07-17-09, 08:07 PM
So I'm slogging through 10 units of continuing education that I've taken before but have to take again. The &^%^$)(*## 'ing ^$@%^$#@ people at Tourism New Zealand require "current" knowledge and want to show off their new trade website. Fine. But the redone courses are so boring they would put an ADD on steroids to sleep. /rant

BUT every once in a while a factoid jumps out. Unexplained, of course. To wit:

Raglan, a harbour with black sand (due to iron content) swimming beaches and one of the longest left-hand surf breaks in the southern hemisphere.

What is a left-hand surf break and is this important enough for me to attempt to remember it????

Kiwifan
07-17-09, 09:29 PM
Sorry. :o

Cam
07-17-09, 10:07 PM
http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=surfing&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=surf

Means the waves break right to left. Most of the images are right break. Dunno why the phenomena is that right break is more prevalent than left. :confused:

Dvdb
07-17-09, 10:33 PM
And there will be a quiz tomorrow

TravelGal
07-18-09, 01:48 AM
Sorry. :o

Oh dear, I knew you'd feel bad about it. Meh, I've got 5 down and 5 to go. And look at all these pretty surf pictures I got to see.

And there will be a quiz tomorrow

LOL! There's a ^%#$%% quiz after every chapter and you must get 100% or you have to sit it again. With different questions. Nasty. But now I know that there are THREE volcanos in Tongariro National Park and lots of other very useful facts.

Hey Rusty, I'll send you one and see if you can pass it. har har har

Thanks, Cam, for answering the question. It intrigues me because I had a geology (very) minor in college. The emphasis was more on fossils than wave motion, however.

emjaya
07-18-09, 04:30 AM
Nice wave. :cool:
It was in the movie, "Endless Summer".

http://photos.surfline.com/albums/userpics/14601/Raglan,_NZ.jpg

C28woYJaqVs&hl

datachicane
07-18-09, 12:47 PM
When in doubt, blame the Coriolis effect.

oddlycalm
07-18-09, 02:00 PM

:rofl:

oc

TravelGal
07-19-09, 12:28 AM

Yowzers. That took me back a few years.

I guess I should have looked it up myself but it's more fun (and funnier) to ask here at the home of the internet wizards. Watched the video several times. Thanks!!