PDA

View Full Version : Pook working on a Race in California?

SurfaceUnits
07-16-09, 09:06 PM
It's also] good to hear that one of FOTA's biggest wishes is for F1 to return to both the United States and Canada. So let's hope we see Montreal and le Circuit Gilles Villeneuve return as soon as possible to the world championship schedule and that Bernie Ecclestone makes a deal with Chris Pook this year to make Pook's hoped-for new California race come to life. Both those things would be great for the sport in North America and for F1 as a whole. But as long as Mosley is pulling strings in either the background or foreground F1's future is likely to remain unclear.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2009/the_way_it_is_no190.html

oddlycalm
07-16-09, 09:45 PM
Good luck with that to the Pookster. I can't imagine any US venue that could come close to generating enough revenue to make Bernie's $40 million asking price realistic even in the best economy. Now...? :shakehead

oc

Michaelhatesfans
07-16-09, 10:54 PM
Good luck with that to the Pookster. I can't imagine any US venue that could come close to generating enough revenue to make Bernie's $40 million asking price realistic even in the best economy. Now...? :shakehead

oc

Particularly surreal as Pook was the guy who told them where to stick their sanctioning fee when he brought the Indy cars to Long Beach.:\

STD
07-16-09, 11:07 PM
But they're friends and stuff like that. :rofl:

NismoZ
07-20-09, 05:38 PM
Sure, it's around Dodger's Stadium!:gomer:

miatanut
07-21-09, 01:55 AM
Why wouldn't the "new" race be LBGP? It's only a matter of time until Tony pulls his usual 'my way or the highway' BS with the Amigos. Or, with the IRL starting to look a little shaky, it might not make sense to continue to depend on them.

Andrew Longman
07-21-09, 06:15 AM
Why wouldn't the "new" race be LBGP? It's only a matter of time until Tony pulls his usual 'my way or the highway' BS with the Amigos. Or, with the IRL starting to look a little shaky, it might not make sense to continue to depend on them.

KK and company own the rights to LB. They could simply decide not to renew rights with the IRL and go with F1. But I don't see where the sanction fee is going to come from and if it was me I'd wait until much of the Bernie/Max politics shake out before taking F1 as a promoter. Jus' saying.

Methanolandbrats
07-21-09, 07:45 AM
And LB fits right in with Bernie's Master Plan of s***** street courses and Tilke Tracks. :yuck:

cameraman
07-21-09, 12:50 PM
And LB fits right in with Bernie's Master Plan of s***** street courses and Tilke Tracks. :yuck:

No it doesn't. Show me the million+ dollar suites, only then it will fit Bernie's plan. Until those buildings exist there will be no race in Long Beach.

Methanolandbrats
07-21-09, 01:05 PM
No it doesn't. Show me the million+ dollar suites, only then it will fit Bernie's plan. Until those buildings exist there will be no race in Long Beach.

Ya, I know it ain't up to snuff and heavy dollars would be needed to satisfy Bernie's minimum requirements for basic comfort. But if the cash shows up a USA street race would fit his plans perfectly.

NismoZ
07-21-09, 05:31 PM
Same reason the best road course in NA (RA) won't get a shot...no place for the royalty to hide from the hoi polloi. "Build us a castle and we will come!":shakehead

RusH
07-21-09, 06:10 PM
Can`t they just gold plate all the tents?

mueber
07-23-09, 11:54 AM
I'm ready to pack my bags and go to any North American venue as soon as the ink hits the contract.