PDA

View Full Version : My Solution, revisited

racer2c
05-30-03, 03:36 PM
Since the Captain and Bubby won't cough up any suggestions in unification I thought I'd dig up one of my own. We used to go round and round with this about three years ago.

CART in '03 is racing on two ovals. Why? Because they can, I guess. And since they are, why not race at a couple with the IRL? Moan, rolling eyes… I know, but let's work this through for a moment.

Some believe that CART should go private. It's practically the Holy Grail for survival to some. I think they should remain public, sell a chunk to IMS and race together at Indy, Fontana and MIS. In return CART leaves Milwaukee. If this new venture pans out, cross pollination of suppliers, sponsors, driver et al could open up the door for CART to return to Motegi and keep the international races, while the IRL stays within the US borders.

Two series under one umbrella. Both series could co-sponsor the combined races and market the sport as a whole at their individual events. This would allow current fans to get behind the sport as a whole again because the sport would be working as a whole instead of two pieces working against each other. New fans would gravitate to one side or the other and the next thing you have are 60 cars on bump day and CART fans at the IRL races with smiles on their faces knowing that they are supporting the sport as a whole. Did I say "sport as a whole" enough?

I think we would see more owners field cars in each series and an easier time of drivers switching between ovals and road races then we are seeing now.

From a tech standpoint, we've lived through the cursed Hanford device, mandated boost, AOA, hard limiters etc, for three races we could live through whatever means they need to incorporate in order to get the cars, in their current configuration, able to race competitively together.

Now I know a triple crown makes the eyes roll, but it really makes sense. It brings the two together without either one of the series folding or capitulating to the point were they might as well fold.

I believe that IMS would have to have a business interest in CART, say no more than 40% of the stock in order for them to really get behind this, but the idea of having the sport marketed as a whole is exciting and I believe realistic. The Indy Cars versus the Champ Cars.

What does CART get out of it? Japan, engine suppliers, another marketing department, heck the list goes on and on.

It just makes sense.

pchall
05-30-03, 03:55 PM
I've been thinking that a small fragmentation bomb at such a meeting would be much, much better.

Napoleon
05-30-03, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I've been thinking that a small fragmentation bomb at such a meeting would be much, much better.

Poison scorpions always appealed to me.

mapguy
05-30-03, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Poison scorpions always appealed to me.

Tactical nukes. Only way to go.

SteveH
05-30-03, 05:13 PM
Any of the last three are fine with me. What the hell, make it all three, just to make sure.

racer2c
05-30-03, 06:27 PM
I'll light the fuse if I can be a driver! Or an owner. Maybe a owner/driver. I would need a golden parachute though and I could bail at the drop of the hate.

As naive as it sounds though, I can actual 'see' a triple crown working. I can actually see co-marketing of the sport working too.

FCYTravis
05-30-03, 06:46 PM
Why should CART leave Milwaukee, one of the most historic Champ Car tracks on the schedule - as a sop to the IRL?

racer2c
05-30-03, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by FCYTravis
Why should CART leave Milwaukee, one of the most historic Champ Car tracks on the schedule - as a sop to the IRL?

I would trade MIS and Indy for Milwaukee. The aero package there hasn't been right since '97. Hey, I love short ovals, and I love Mil, but a welcome sacrifice to get the two series together and pick up a couple of highly missed tracks to boot.

FRANKY
05-31-03, 01:56 AM
Vasser said it tonight, a merge without the death of either series would be the only non bitter solution fans could embrace.

nrc
05-31-03, 02:42 AM
There is really just one man standing in the way of a solution. For now he's happy to wait and hope that CART will bankrupt itself.

Ziggy
05-31-03, 09:32 AM
The split has killed oval track gates forever IMO. There are a couple of reasons. The traditional "oval" fan is getting up there in years. There was a time in the late 80's for instance when a state run fan club would charter two buses to go to Michigan. I also know of some taverns that would rent buses to go to Milwaukee and Michigan. These people are getting older, and dont go to the races anymore (and some of the reason's is the split itself) Then there are the diehard fan's of either series, which refuse to spend a dime on the "other" series (and I would fall into this category)Then the larger faction of fans, and I know plenty of them, have just said the hell with it all and go on about their lives without following any racing at all. Add these three groups together and you get a lot of empty seats.

We who post on Internet message boards are guilty of having a passion for the sport. We tend to have the misconception that everyone is "into" the racing as We are. This is far from true. It is the casual ticket buying fan with a passing interest that has turned their back on the sport. Can you blame them? Manufactured drama, Manufactured racing, Greedy car owners and track owners, politics, prices. The notion of "these are the guys who race at Indianapolis" carries a heavy punch at the ticket window. There are not enough fans left to support either series (with current budgets in mind) and the racing has suffered through car count and venues. Really suffered, really, really suffered.

I personally hope that the engine manufactures can bring the series back together. Honda and Toyota will soon have Tony leveraged to the point of logic. This is what I hope will happen.

Ziggy