PDA

View Full Version : comedy gold

Don Quixote
07-07-09, 11:02 AM
Proposed street race in Baltimore.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.indy07jul07,0,348301.story?FORM=ZZNR

I forgot where we stand on these things, are street races good or bad? :confused:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

opinionated ow
07-07-09, 11:08 AM
Proposed street race in Baltimore.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.indy07jul07,0,348301.story?FORM=ZZNR

I forgot where we stand on these things, are street races good or bad? :confused:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm going for the please happen and be a colossal failure option

Sean Malone
07-07-09, 11:16 AM
Well, Balteemawrrrr is nestled in between DC and Philly. The inner harbor was a yearly day trip for us when I lived in the DC area. Nice aquarium, Hooters etc. Reminds me of Cleveland by the R&RHF.

So the IRL is turning to street races in order to try to make a buck eh? Hoping the city gov will put big bucks up. The return of beach volly ball and 3 Door Down concerts?

extramundane
07-07-09, 11:45 AM
The light rail tracks in that area should make San Jose look like chumpchange. :thumbup:

EVL29
07-07-09, 03:43 PM
Behold the power of Paff.:gomer:

oddlycalm
07-07-09, 04:37 PM
Should drive the EARL faithful crazy. :D :thumbup: Could be real good track food. Pit beef sandwiches & fries with gravy.....:cool::thumbup:

oc

extramundane
07-07-09, 05:34 PM
Could be real good track food. Pit beef sandwiches & fries with gravy.....:cool::thumbup:

In that part of Bal'more, it'd be more like Esskay Tomaine/Nitrate dogs and overpriced frozen crabcakes imported from southeast Asia. But hey, for the paffs of the world, that's some fancy eats.

Methanolandbrats
07-07-09, 06:14 PM
The light rail tracks in that area should make San Jose look like chumpchange. :thumbup: Good. The only thing interesting about street courses are the moguls.

Andrew Longman
07-07-09, 06:17 PM
Could be real good track food.

You kiddin'? Crab cakes, more crab cakes, soft or hard shell crab (depending on the month) and lots of Old Bay. :D

Michaelhatesfans
07-07-09, 06:18 PM
It's ok, they've flown in Unser, Jr to give it a thumbs up.

(and I just can't figure out which smilie to use...)

Don Quixote
07-07-09, 06:28 PM
I sure hope all the turns are 90 degrees. :gomer:

datachicane
07-07-09, 07:07 PM
I can only amagione how this will apeal to resent gradjeuates of majur unaversities. Theyed better get some drivers who look like Americans so the American race fans have somone to root for and aganst.

:yuck:
Gaak, I can't even joke like that. Excuse me while I go soak my hands in MEK.

mueber
07-07-09, 07:13 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Fact is, the IRL could well be defunct by then.

Indy
07-07-09, 07:39 PM
Amagione that.

Andrew Longman
07-07-09, 07:39 PM
To their credit, that could be a proper street course

The course would be about 2.4 miles long with the pit area adjacent to Camden Yards, according to the feasibility study.

But the race should be in Philly on the 4th of July incorporating the Parkway and Art Museum and Fairmont Park. Elmo will back me up. If they could get the art geeks to go with it it would be huge and IMO potentially dwarf LB and in time even the Coke 400 in the national consciousness.

It could be huge.

NYC has the Macy's Fireworks, but combined with kick ass fireworks an all weekend festival of speed on the Parkway in the land of Liberty would trump everything that weekend

Trevor Longman
07-07-09, 08:06 PM
To their credit, that could be a proper street course

But the race should be in Philly on the 4th of July incorporating the Parkway and Art Museum and Fairmont Park. Elmo will back me up. If they could get the art geeks to go with it it would be huge and IMO potentially dwarf LB and in time even the Coke 400 in the national consciousness.

It could be huge.

NYC has the Macy's Fireworks, but combined with kick ass fireworks an all weekend festival of speed on the Parkway in the land of Liberty would trump everything that weekend

Put it at night and it would be HUGE. There are 2 issues with your plan though. 1. No gomer over in indyland would be smart enough to do that, and 2. The Hulman family would NEVER let ANYTHING come close to the popularity of the Indy 500.

dando
07-07-09, 08:32 PM

It could be huge.

Dude, c'mon. They should race down the Schullykill and see who can make into dtown Philly in under 2 hours from I-76. :saywhat: :irked: :gomer: Ah yes, the annual trek to the shore commences in just under a month. Cheese steaks on me for anyone who wants to meet in OCNJ. :D

Srsly...I thought that area of Bmore (near Camden) was returning to it's crack house roots? :(

Oh and, BTW, Tiger's tourney is moving to Philly the next couple of years to accommodate the US Open @ Congressional in DC in '11 or '12, so Philly over the 4th ain't gonna happen in the next 3 years.

-Kevin

extramundane
07-07-09, 08:50 PM
Srsly...I thought that area of Bmore (near Camden) was returning to it's crack house roots? :(

It's been a couple years since I hung out there with any regularity, but it was getting pretty rough again in places. Camden, whatever they're calling the football stadium today and the Inner Harbor were pretty safe, but walk a few blocks the wrong direction and all bets are off.

Andrew Longman
07-07-09, 10:06 PM
Track Map:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-prix0707-graphic,0,1503899.graphic

Elmo T
07-07-09, 10:09 PM
But the race should be in Philly on the 4th of July incorporating the Parkway and Art Museum and Fairmont Park.

It would be a winner and the layout could be very interesting. A few NIMBY's at Moore Art School didn't help the last time this came up. As I recall, PLN was onboard too. As was fourrunner. :thumbup:

extramundane
07-07-09, 10:16 PM
Track Map:

Light rail goes right up Howard Street- oughta be 2 or 3 good jumps per lap :thumbup:

eiregosod
07-08-09, 03:53 AM
Track Map:

kinda Monaco like.

There's a nice sportsbar Pickles, just like the Rascasse, to watch the race from , its on the north west corner of Oriole park :thumbup:

pchall
07-08-09, 07:11 AM
It's ok, they've flown in Unser, Jr to give it a thumbs up.

(and I just can't figure out which smilie to use...)

Would that be 2 time Indy winner Al Unser, Jr. or 6 time Long Beach Grand Prix winning Al Unser, Jr.?

Don Quixote
07-08-09, 08:39 AM
Would that be 2 time Indy winner Al Unser, Jr. or 6 time Long Beach Grand Prix winning Al Unser, Jr.? They take people out of Baltimore on stretchers.

eiregosod
07-08-09, 08:45 AM
They take people out of Baltimore on stretchers.

Baltimore should cash in on 'The Wire' :p

chop456
07-08-09, 08:48 AM
My old neighbor was a longtime resident and called it "Buttlimore", and the residents "Baltimorons". I've never been there, but every current or former resident I know has told me it sucks and/or blows.

Sounds like a perfect fit for an earl race. :thumbup:

I've heard good things about the Eastern shore. And Dogfish Head is there, too. Can't be all bad.

eiregosod
07-08-09, 09:11 AM
I just recently visited the area of the proposed racetrack a few months ago. The Convention center is perfect for hosting ready-made private suites, large enuff for AJ to park his fat ass for the race weakend.

Pretty nice area and backdrop,

indyfan31
07-08-09, 09:32 AM
I was in Baltimore about 4 years ago and those streets were screwed up. Have they been repaved yet or are they planning on using the cobblestone alleys?

emjaya
07-08-09, 10:04 AM
Forget the street circuit, just widen the pathways in Patterson Park and run it there. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
07-08-09, 10:06 AM
Dumbasses don't understand they need to sign up natural terrain road courses and put a big motor in the car if there is ANY hope of rebuilding AOW. Adding s***** street courses is the wrong direction.

Sean Malone
07-08-09, 10:11 AM
Dumbasses don't understand they need to sign up natural terrain road courses and put a big motor in the car if there is ANY hope of rebuilding AOW. Adding s***** street courses is the wrong direction.

I agree. they could change this thing overnight with a few simple decisions. If they can't win back the old fans...board up the windows.

Don Quixote
07-08-09, 10:44 AM
With the exception of LB, the pattern is something like this.
1) fast talking promoter cons local politicians to do the race.
2) city pays for startup costs and infrastructure, running into the millions.
3) newspaper articles summarize bogus economics, claiming tax revenues in the tens of millions.
4) first year, successful event, big crowd, everybody is happy, can't wait till next year. (most likely the racing sucks)
5) second year, crowds down, promoter blames economy.
6) third year, promoter can't pay sanction fee, City has to step in. People getting tired of disruption to traffic. Grandstands removed. Crowds way down. Articles in paper complain of noise, pollution and political corruption.
7) fourth year, find new city to con, repeat.

Indy
07-08-09, 11:05 AM

I agree. they could change this thing overnight with a few simple decisions. If they can't win back the old fans...board up the windows.

Shhhhhhhhhhh...

Napoleon
07-08-09, 11:10 AM
But the race should be in Philly on the 4th of July incorporating the Parkway and Art Museum and Fairmont Park.

It seems to me that people have on and off floating Philly for what seems forever. Out of pure chance 10 to 15 years ago I recall somehow getting on the subject of racing with the CFO of a client located out of Philly and he starts telling me how him and some other people were trying to get a race together at, if my memory isn't shot, the navy yards.

cameraman
07-08-09, 12:16 PM
kinda Monaco like.

There's a nice sportsbar Pickles, just like the Rascasse, to watch the race from , its on the north west corner of Oriole park :thumbup:

And if they follow in the footsteps of the AG promoted races there will be 10 foot solid fencing so you can't see a thing from any trackside restaurants:rolleyes::shakehead

Elmo T
07-08-09, 12:38 PM
the navy yards.

I suppose you could put something together in the navy yard - right next to the stadium complex. Meh...

They've done vintage races in Fairmont Park.

The Parkway is really the place for the race. Wide open and long straights. Art Museum/Franklin Institute/Academy of Natural Sciences. Hotels in walking distance.

Google Maps Link (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Philadelphia,+PA&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=33.313481,56.513672&ie=UTF8&ll=39.959688,-75.174079&spn=0.015822,0.027595&t=h&z=15)

nrc
07-08-09, 06:49 PM
It would be awesome if they would say they're moving the race from Cleveland to Baltimore. :gomer:

gerhard911
07-08-09, 07:05 PM
It would be a winner and the layout could be very interesting. A few NIMBY's at Moore Art School didn't help the last time this came up. As I recall, PLN was onboard too. As was fourrunner. :thumbup:

RIP :(

gerhard911
07-08-09, 07:07 PM
It would be awesome if they would say they're moving the race from Cleveland to Baltimore. :gomer:

Needs more Art Modell

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1995/1204_large.jpg

:yuck:

Trevor Longman
07-08-09, 11:24 PM
Spent some time revising the layout of the track. In this version its more in downtown, closer to the waterfront, and its still 2.4 miles. Waaay better IMO.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2987375

Edit: On second thought, maybe this would be better. After doing a track lap in google streetview, I realized my track went straight though a pretty bad neighborhood. Wouldn't want TG to be a drive by victim...oh wait, maybe we do. :p :laugh:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2987406

Michaelhatesfans
07-09-09, 03:30 AM
Would that be 2 time Indy winner Al Unser, Jr. or 6 time Long Beach Grand Prix winning Al Unser, Jr.?

The one that they liquored up in a strip bar to coax a good review out of while assuring him that the local assault laws were pretty lax.

Rogue Leader
07-09-09, 07:46 AM
Spent some time revising the layout of the track. In this version its more in downtown, closer to the waterfront, and its still 2.4 miles. Waaay better IMO.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2987375

Edit: On second thought, maybe this would be better. After doing a track lap in google streetview, I realized my track went straight though a pretty bad neighborhood. Wouldn't want TG to be a drive by victim...oh wait, maybe we do. :p :laugh:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2987406

I was gonna say even with the original layout that passes by some "wonderful" places... I wonder if we will see the locals stripping a car mid race!

Andrew Longman
07-09-09, 10:37 AM
I suppose you could put something together in the navy yard - right next to the stadium complex. Meh...

No kidding. If they do it in the Navy yard there is no special reason to do it in Philly. One industrial landscape is the same as another.

The Parkway/Fairmont Park (with fireworks on the 4th) or nothing.

So it will be nothing.