PDA

View Full Version : VW in tallks with Series

SurfaceUnits
07-01-09, 04:22 PM
Oh, that would be with NASCAR

I think we all believed VW or Audi was coming in (to the IRL) but, after hearing VW met with NASCAR last week, not sure there's anybody new on the horizon.

Napoleon
07-01-09, 05:03 PM
Great, we will get to see Herbie out on the track with some American iron.

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 05:53 PM
I just read today that Chrysler builds the VW minivan. So an Italian owned, American company building German vans racing in NASCAR. Strange world we live in.

Indy
07-01-09, 06:47 PM
VW is ****ing up, big time.

They had to have a mini-ute. Why? To compete with Honda. :rolleyes:

Then they had to have a minivan. Why? To compete with Honda. :rolleyes:

I asked them why I couldn't get a Passat with a diesel. They said that the German management couldn't imagine an American who would buy such a large car worrying about fuel economy. :saywhat:

And now NASCAR? I am sure their extreme sports, Mac-using, young, hip clientele will be thrilled with that.

They go NASCAR and I have bought my last VW.

pchall
07-01-09, 07:37 PM

Hey, you're an experienced VW racer. You could come out of retirement and drive with fenders in a OHV V8 Passat at your local short tracks.

Steve99
07-01-09, 07:55 PM

Wait, I think I've seen that. Will Danica Lohan be driving?

Methanolandbrats
07-01-09, 09:59 PM
VW is ****ing up, big time.

They had to have a mini-ute. Why? To compete with Honda. :rolleyes:

Then they had to have a minivan. Why? To compete with Honda. :rolleyes:

I asked them why I couldn't get a Passat with a diesel. They said that the German management couldn't imagine an American who would buy such a large car worrying about fuel economy. :saywhat:

And now NASCAR? I am sure their extreme sports, Mac-using, young, hip clientele will be thrilled with that.

They go NASCAR and I have bought my last VW. Makes me wanna puke too...I've got four VWs in the driveway. Your Passat story is typical, I want an AWD Golf with diesel and six speed. They told me "nobody would buy that car except you". :saywhat:

Indy
07-01-09, 10:19 PM
I would buy that car in a heartbeat!

They have a profound misunderstanding of what turns on their buyers in the U.S. IMO, they are very close to losing their luster and becoming an overpriced, less reliable Germanic Toyota.

pchall
07-01-09, 10:29 PM

They have a profound misunderstanding of what turns on their buyers in the U.S. IMO, they are very close to losing their luster and becoming an overpriced, less reliable Germanic Toyota.

I had a lot of trouble getting a Passat VR6 with a manual gearbox in 1997. They were mostly all autoboxes at the dealers in my 3 state region I contacted. Wound up flying to Minneapolis to get the one I wanted and I still had to do without the leather seats.

Methanolandbrats
07-01-09, 11:09 PM

They have a profound misunderstanding of what turns on their buyers in the U.S. IMO, they are very close to losing their luster and becoming an overpriced, less reliable Germanic Toyota.I don't know about that, the current crop is very reliable and good values. The interior on my 07 is amazing for the price. In fact in all my years of driving VWs and that is going back to the Rabbit GTI, I was only left by the side of the road a couple times when I broke the car...no one stranding. The problem with not buying another VW is what the hell would I buy? A Subaru if they ever manage to deliver the boxer diesel to the US Market, that's all that interests me because I want AWD.

Methanolandbrats
07-01-09, 11:11 PM
I had a lot of trouble getting a Passat VR6 with a manual gearbox in 1997. They were mostly all autoboxes at the dealers in my 3 state region I contacted. Wound up flying to Minneapolis to get the one I wanted and I still had to do without the leather seats. Always been that way with VW, in the eighties the dealer did'nt know what was going to be on his lot till they rolled off the delivery truck. :D I bought a Passat TDI in 97 and still drive it, best car I've ever had.

Heeltoe
07-01-09, 11:11 PM
I have bought my last VW

I already have, or at least new. Had a '91 diesel jetta and '96 jetta, finally drove the 96 into the ground last year at 230+K miles. I wasn't wild about the new rabbit because it's so bloated compared to the original, but would've have seriously considered one, IF i could've gotten a stripped down version with no cruise control, abs, traction control, electronic locks/windows cd player, power seats, etc etc and all the other garbage that makes drive like any other boat, or just makes the car more expensive to maintain

Ended up finding an 84 jetta GLI used. well worth the money to fix it up (and still well well under the outrageous 15K starting price for a lousy 2 door rabbit at the time i was looking). the gli also beats the new rabbit's "gas sipping" fuel mileage as well. it's shame what's happened to vw

they are very close to losing their luster and becoming an overpriced, less reliable Germanic Toyota.

i think they're already there. the jetta V looks like a corolla clone, and probably drives like one too

cameraman
07-01-09, 11:42 PM
A Subaru if they ever manage to deliver the boxer diesel to the US Market, that's all that interests me because I want AWD.

Subaru is scared to death that 5 minutes after they bring their first diesel Outback into the country the friggin state of California will ban diesels outright. That is just about every manufacturer's fear, that CA will deem diesel exhaust carcinogenic and ban them.

Methanolandbrats
07-01-09, 11:54 PM
Subaru is scared to death that 5 minutes after they bring their first diesel Outback into the country the friggin state of California will ban diesels outright. That is just about every manufacturer's fear, that CA will deem diesel exhaust carcinogenic and ban them. I'm real familiar with that, CARB ******** is why the current gen VW diesels were delayed. I'm all for giving California back to Mexico. **** them.

Indy
07-02-09, 01:41 AM
I don't know about that, the current crop is very reliable and good values. The interior on my 07 is amazing for the price.

I just recently got rid of an '06 Passat. Loved the car, but the depreciation was horrendous. When total cost of ownership was taken into account, it had to be the most expensive car I ever owned. No problems and a joy to own, but Jeebus...

I wouldn't touch anything but a TDI now. Anyone have a nice late 90's Passat they want to sell? :D

pchall
07-02-09, 07:04 AM
I wonder if VW is talking to NASCAR about getting an engine from one of their brands into Grand Sham?

Herbie would make a oretty good Prototurte. :)

http://www.celluloid-dreams.de/content/images/kritiken-filmbilder/herbie-fully-loaded/herbie-fully-loaded-1.jpg

Napoleon
07-02-09, 08:55 AM
Hey, you're an experienced VW racer. You could come out of retirement and drive with fenders in a OHV V8 Passat at your local short tracks.

If VW wants me to drive for then the price is putting Lindsay Lohan in the passenger seat next to me.

SurfaceUnits
07-02-09, 10:43 AM
If VW wants me to drive for then the price is putting Lindsay Lohan in the passenger seat next to me.

with or without bloomers?

Napoleon
07-02-09, 10:45 AM
with or without bloomers?

Sans bloomers, of course.

SurfaceUnits
07-02-09, 10:45 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Volkswagen_New_Beetle_RSi.jpg

Beetle RSi
VW New Beetle RSi

Between 2001 and 2003, Volkswagen produced 250 limited edition New Beetles, with the designation RSi, in Mexico for the rest of the World. The RSi was powered by a 225 hp 3.2 liter VR6 engine, mated to a six-speed gearbox, and Volkswagen's four-wheel drive system 4motion. It had a Remus twin-pipe exhaust. The suspension was tuned by Porsche, featuring a severely altered rear suspension geometry more geared to the race track, and a rear cross brace behind the rear seats. Visually, the RSi differed in its 80 mm (3.1 in) wider fenders, unique front and rear bumpers, a rear diffuser, large rear wing, and 18x9 OZ Superturismo wheels with 235/40ZR-18 tyres. Inside, it was trimmed in carbon fiber, billet aluminum, and bright orange leather. The front seats were Recaro racing buckets. Notable disadvantages found were loud cabin noise and low rear tyre life. Curiously, in Mexico, although being a country very attached to Volkswagen, there are RSis that have not been sold since 2001. This is probably due to its US$58,000 price tag, and because Mexico is the country where most Beetle RSis stayed (20 cars).

The Beetle RSi was designed by Riaz Sherazee, a UK national and graduate of Coventry Automotive Design School.

devilmaster
07-13-09, 06:07 PM
I just read today that Chrysler builds the VW minivan. So an Italian owned, American company building German vans in a Canadian plant, racing in NASCAR. Strange world we live in.

just thought i'd add that.... ;)

speaking of which:

http://www.windsorstar.com/Oprah+endorses+Windsor+built+Routans/1786818/story.html

WINDSOR, Ont. -- Volkswagen is turning to U.S. talk show queen Oprah Winfrey in the German automaker’s latest bid to boost tepid sales of the Routan minivan, which is assembled at the Windsor Assembly Plant.

Winfrey is offering the Routan as a prize on her popular television show — a move some auto industry experts say is sure to raise the profile of the slow-selling vehicle.

grungex
07-13-09, 06:47 PM
I was cut off recently by a douchebag driving one with dealer plates (with his young son riding shotgun, no less) who made threatening gestures towards me when I took umbrage at his douchebaggery. Might explain part of the problem...

chop456
07-14-09, 05:37 AM
A minivan with incompetent VW dealer service, crap warranty and all that legendary Chrysler build quality? Where do I sign? :laugh:

Rogue Leader
07-14-09, 07:38 AM
Me racing my first and likely last VW in the 24 hours of Lemons this past weekend:

http://thumb12.webshots.net/t/74/174/6/98/18/2283698180059037032IOMzoe_th.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2283698180059037032IOMzoe)

Note oil smoke... it left a smoke screen down the front straight. Its a little overfilled cause of a leak.

She ran great till the brakes failed. We will be upgrading them and racing again. That said, this triplesquare BS that they use and the fact stuff is wired like a retard came up with it makes this my last VW....

chop456
07-14-09, 07:45 AM
^ One of the first maintenance tools I bought was a set of triplesquare security bits. They come in handy when you want to take 3 minutes to swap out the MAF yourself for $400 less than what the dealer wants. :tony:

How long did you guys last?

Methanolandbrats
07-14-09, 08:03 AM
Since I've pretty much disassembled A2 Golfs, A2 Jettas, several Corrado G60, Passat B3 and B4 gas and diesel, numerous Rabbit GTIs and raced A1, A2 and A3 cars, WTF are you guys taking about "triple square BS" and wired by a "retard", they aren't wired any differently than any other car and they sure are easier to work on than Jap **** with their rat nests of vaccuum lines.

chop456
07-14-09, 08:16 AM
I thought triple square and Torx were the same thing, but they're not. I just looked it up. I :tony: myself.

NismoZ
07-14-09, 08:46 AM
Love the passion here. Having driven Jap**** since '71 I can't really relate to most of the mechanical talk but my '93 experiment with a pretty little red Passat VR6 Wagon for my wife ended with a locked front end no-wheel drive ruined transmission, THOUSANDS to fix (under warranty, thank God.) Traded it even up for an Accord wagon, drove it for 5 trouble-free years. I know you guys....you LOVE trouble! Gives you somethin' to do!:)

Methanolandbrats
07-14-09, 09:26 AM
Love the passion here. Having driven Jap**** since '71 I can't really relate to most of the mechanical talk but my '93 experiment with a pretty little red Passat VR6 Wagon for my wife ended with a locked front end no-wheel drive ruined transmission, THOUSANDS to fix (under warranty, thank God.) Traded it even up for an Accord wagon, drove it for 5 trouble-free years. I know you guys....you LOVE trouble! Gives you somethin' to do!:)

Well that solves it then...Scoreboard: Rising Sun 1 Master Race 0 :D Honda, Suby and Mazda are fine cars. Mitsu is the Chrysler of Japan. Yodas are tinny oil burning POS. All brands have their good points and bad points. All models and some years have weak spots and ALL brands break.

NismoZ
07-14-09, 03:50 PM
Of course...just :ping. Being a member of the master race myself I just find it upsetting never having been able to afford ANY car I've REALLY wanted!:irked:

NismoZ
07-14-09, 03:55 PM
PS-dumped the "Z"...have TWO Mazdas now. Needed room for my bike and my pooch!:D

Rogue Leader
07-16-09, 07:43 AM
^ One of the first maintenance tools I bought was a set of triplesquare security bits. They come in handy when you want to take 3 minutes to swap out the MAF yourself for $400 less than what the dealer wants. :tony:

How long did you guys last?

Well we did finish the event. The brakes failed saturday and we were in the pits for an hour and a half while a team member scoured northern CT for brake pads, calipers, etc. We only found ONE set of pads anywhere so we put it back together with those and the leaky calipers (the seals melted out) and finished out the day Saturday. Sunday we saw chunks missing from the pads but ran it anyway till they were cooked around 3:30 pm. The race ended at 5:15, so I suited up and got back out at 5:05 with no brakes just to not get a DNF.

The best part, we got a lot of black flags because we were driving so aggressively and the rule about two wheels off was very strict (a "road course" with no curbs and a team of experienced road racers, combined with NASCAR officials was a recipe for disaster), so we made a black flag for me to take out there with me and after the checkers were thrown I did a victory lap with the black flag like I just won lol. The crowd applauded the winner but when i showed at the pit entrance with the black flag they roared, then pulling into the pits it was just lined with people going beserk over it (a lot of teams were getting frustrated with the penalties).

I pulled into our paddock spot and climbed out on to the roof waving the flag like I just won Daytona, and the crowd followed, it was a riot!

gjc2
07-16-09, 11:21 AM
overpriced, less reliable Germanic Toyota.

isn't that who they are now?