PDA

View Full Version : A serious question: what should the new CEO do?

Indy
07-01-09, 08:44 AM
Jeff Belskus, the new President and CEO of IMS and the IRL, is reported to be a good, level-headed guy. If you were to make a list of recommendations for him, what would they be?

Take this seriously, as if it could really make a difference. Be concise and specific. One suggestion per post, please.

I will make one first as an example of what I am after.

Indy
07-01-09, 08:46 AM
1) The name "Indy Racing League" has a negative connotation within the community of open wheel fans. I suggest you publicly abandon that name and adopt the name "Indy Car World Series" to make it clear that a new era has dawned and the old fans are welcome back.

mueber
07-01-09, 08:59 AM
I have no masterful strategy, but, the word "Indy" has to disappear from the series title. The Series and the Gomerville Invitational have to be separate entities. The series has to be run by people whose success is totally dependent on the success of the series. If Gomerville fails, the series carries on without it.

New series management should appear on Wind Tunnel on hands and knees apologizing to the fans for the damage done by moronic predecessor. Current cars should be areo-tweaked as much as possible. Cost should be controlled for now. Road America should be put on the schedule. More than any other thing, the fans have to be given a reason to believe they drive the future direction of the series.

grungex
07-01-09, 09:16 AM
He should start by separating the IMS and the Indy Car World Series.

extramundane
07-01-09, 09:17 AM
Get a properly qualified person, rather than a semi-trained monkey, in charge of the technical package. All the new leadership in the world is meaningless if the cars continue to be ugly, slow and unraceable.

Andrew Longman
07-01-09, 09:37 AM
Totally rethink the business models. And there are two, one for IMS and one for the series. They are symbiotic, but separate.

IMS is a strong brand with a rich history but it all feeds off of the I500. Much strategic and tactical thought must be put into how to return the 500 to an event that is simply compelling for drivers, teams and manufacturers and sponsors to participate in. It must again become one of the single most importance races in the world.

To start, that does not mean finding a way for gomer sprint car drivers rides. It does probably mean offering much more prize money and opening up the rules to showcase more technology be it green or otherwise. To the degree you can't open up the rules to encourage manufacturer support then you will have to return value to teams through prize money, promotion and exposure.

This won't happen overnight but you have to have a plan for how that will happen and it has to start with a few critical and credible steps that will show fans, teams and sponsors how it is going to happen.

As for the series it needs a total makeover. And people need to be in charge of it who are complete committed and motivated to make it work. The series for them, not IMS, needs to be their #1 priority, though they should leverage their participation in the 500 to the max.

Get a new car immediately, even if it is the DP01 (which given that it is on the shelf and meets the performance and cost objectives of the IRL as well, might not be a bad idea). Honda has a V8 turbo that can easily be stuck in it. Ilmore too.

Define the brand. Just what does Indycar stand for? Who is the audience? Why would people become passionate about it? In the sea of sameness within NASCAR and the overexposure of their brand I would say that Indycar should promote itself as more diverse, more challenging, and faster than anything else. A blend of advanced technology and driver challenge that makes you quiver in your naughty bits.

I'm gonna stop now. It sound too much like something else.;)

DagoFast
07-01-09, 09:41 AM
He could just flat out admit he is a clueless gomer that has no idea whatsoever how to fix dinner let alone AOW. But after the eloquence of his predecessor (Ummm aahhhh....ummmm I don't know.) it is doubtful any of the gomeratti would be inclined to believe him.

Stick a fork in it.

datachicane
07-01-09, 09:53 AM
The 'new' CEO? The one who's only qualification is the fact that he's one of Tony's high school buddies, the one who's been attached to the Hulman teat for umpteen years? His name might as well be Flensburg.

His only function is to spare Anton from the humiliation of standing on deck as the thing goes bow up.

Chief
07-01-09, 10:02 AM
1) Form an advisory panel composed of a BROAD section of AOW interests and collectively gather information about past, present and future. This will be the foundation for the rebirth of AOW. I would strongly suggest exploring a "Town Hall" approach as well to appease fans and welcome them back and be heard. No voting interests....just take the information gathered and implement it for the betterment of the sport, not just to satisfy IMS coffers/500.

2) CLEARLY define and promote an AOW business plan based on #1. Formulate a MISSION STATEMENT and use it as the basis for marketing the sport.

2a) Destroy the INDY RACING LEAGUE brand. The IRL is synonomus with TONY GEORGE and his abhorant FAILURE developing the sport. The INDYCAR brand can flourish again as long as it's detached from IMS / IRL / and what ever damage it received during the George reich, years 1996 through 2009.

3) Get some variation in competition....you have Cosworth sitting on the sidelines, you have DP-01's and old Lolas, Reynards...retrofit them and let's go. IF Tony George wouldn't have been SO vindictive against CART in 2002, all these point would have been moot. Find a way to get this done.

4) STOP promoting the sport with "Indy" as the center of the universe. The series INDYCAR achieved it's greatest accomplishments with the SERIES leading the way. Coincidently, the INDY 500 soared to it's greatest height simultaniously as well. Any SMART businessman could have seen that (and it can be realized again).

5) NEVER again cheapen the sport for the sake of EASY SPONSOR MONEY or SELL OFF RIGHTS.

If ANY of this had been done the first year after the merger, this sport would NEVER had deteriorated to the point it is in now. Show the fans you want it to work, and WE will work with you. Repeat the same crap as the past 15 years and we will continue to resist.

SteveH
07-01-09, 10:04 AM
Sell the series to the team owners, maybe a franchise system.

Chief
07-01-09, 10:24 AM
6) This is a SOPHISTICATED sport....completely differentiated from NASCAR. STOP promoting the sport like it's some USAC MIDGET race at a backwoods Indiana dirt track. WE need to recreate the mystic, suspense and edge of the seat excitement that only SINGLE SEAT OPEN WHEEL racing can deliver. ALL of it was COMPROMISED by the IRL to stake claim and get a foot into the sport. It's an ELITE sport, full throughobred racers....and can NEVER be treated like a JOHN COUGAR MELLONCAMP song ever again. "Come on baby take a ride with me" and "You Shoulda Been There" IRL promos made me PUKE. NEVER cut off your face to spite your nose EVER again.

7) Can we bring back "DRIVER INTENSITY"? Stop the hugging and kissing and fake teeth in Victory Lane. As bad as CCWS might have been (and CART for that matter), it had PERSONALITY. Paul Tracy and Tagliani bloodied in a NON STAGED dust up...DOORNBOS mocking BOURDAIS on rostum....ZANARDI donuts..... HATE is good and it used to be there NATURALLY. NOw, everyone is driving the same marshmellow car, all being paid the same winnings....it's like watching a very bad orgy of ego. STOP that IMMEDIATELY and stop trying to promote NOTHING.

8) Bob Jenkins, Marty Reid and Robbie Buhl need to be JETTISONED immediately. They are the worst. GET BACK TO RACING, stop trying to announce something that isn't there. Have NO annmouncers for a race or two.

Napoleon
07-01-09, 10:29 AM
I think AOW is so damaged that they almost have to adopt a Hail Mary strategy of a radical change in the formula. Short term, maybe go back to ChampCars last car but longer term (the Hail Mary) either radically restrict the size of the engine but loosen technology restrictions, or something I have privately favored (I doubt I have posted on this at all) for years now is a full embraced of a form of green technology, either flat out making the cars electric, or some kind of hybrid, or something totally different. I really suspect that would be something that would give manufacturers a reason to participate that no other series could offer.

Napoleon
07-01-09, 10:31 AM
Sell the series to the team owners, maybe a franchise system.

Great idea. I think I will write up a white paper laying this concept out in more detail.

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 10:44 AM
I believe they already have been referencing the series as 'IndyCar'. It's IndyCar.com, their logo says 'IndyCar Series' and their website uses 'IndyCar' throughout. The only place I could find any reference to the IRL was at the copy right at the bottom of the page.
The 'IndyCar' brand has value to build on although I agree with the others that adding 'World' to it would make it more appealing.
IndyCar needs to haul themselves out of the corn field mentality that Tony George ushered in and get back to a product that appeals less to NASCAR fans and more to F1/ALMS fans.
I also agree that the number 1 prioroty is to try to get back the fans they once had instead of the failed decade long attempt of luring the casual channel flipper i.e. NASCAR dad, into being an IndyCar fan.

SurfaceUnits
07-01-09, 10:49 AM
His only function is to spare Anton from the humiliation of standing on deck as the thing goes bow up.

just yesterday, I read how the captain of the Titanic resigned at the same point in his career. :tony:

opinionated ow
07-01-09, 11:33 AM
It's going to cost money, but here goes.

Purchase:
Formula Atlantic
Formula Mazda
USAC

Open up the Indycar Series regulations-change the chassis to pre-DP01 Champ Car regulations (with speedway wings back) updated only for safety standards-i.e. subjected to full FIA standard testing (to stop back breaks). Open up the engine regulations. Allow the old 2.65L V8 Turbos, 410ci Sprintcar Engines AND allow fitting of superchargers to existing midget engines. All three would put out 800-900bhp without too much concern and most parts are readily available. Get rid of spec tyres and regulations on the size of fuel tanks.

Change the Indy Lites series completely. Base regulations on GP2 cars but allow any chassis and engine that meets the specifications. Develop a speedway package to fit in with these cars.

Migrate Formula Atlantic to meet full International Formula 3 regulations.

Keep Formula Mazda as is for the time being.

Keep USAC National Sprintcar and Midget rules and series as they exist for the time being

Migrate USAC Silver Crown into a mid-engine upright style vehicle to allow a progression from dirt track through to Indycar.

Change names!
Indycar/IRL to The *Title Sponor* American Driver's Championship (or even just The *Title Sponsor* Championship/National Championship)
Indy Lites to Grand National Openwheel Series

Change Venues-get back to national coverage and on the tracks that mad AOW important. Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Michigan Speedway, California Speedway, Phoenix International Raceway, Milwaukee Mile, New Hampshire Speedway, Road America, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Laguna Seca, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Long Beach, Cleveland Airport, Portland International Raceway, Toronto Streets, Mont Tremblant, Pocono Raceway. And add in some modern tracks-Iowa Speedway, Twin Ring Motegi, Mexico City, Kansas Speedway and places like Sebring, Road Atlanta, and if you're really brave-Syracus "Moody Mile," DuQuoin State Fairgrounds, Illinois State Fairgrounds (Springfield) and Indiana State Fairgrounds.

The idea should be to create the biggest championship in the USA-bigger than NASCAR-drawing all sorts of drivers. Road Racers through the traditional routes and include in this a ladder programme and also short track racers by going 50/50 pavement/dirt on the USAC Sprintcar and Midget series and taking the Silver Crown series to be equivalent to the Formula Atlantic series on the ladder so that in the "Grand National" series road racers learn to oval race and vice versa. Make it so the local hero if they're any good can make it to the top as can Johnny Foreigner.

Indy
07-01-09, 11:47 AM
Chief :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Keep them coming. Mensa's got nothing on this site. :D

JLMannin
07-01-09, 12:48 PM
IMS Corp should run IMS. The racing series needs to be owned and operated by an independent body. A structure that is similar to what existed from 1979 to 1995 would be a great starting point. I can think of no other period in which IMS did better.

The cars should be designed from the ground up as road-racing cars and should have superspeedway and short oval packages. Define a formula allowing for small turbos or larger NA engines and target about 800 HP. Set safety standards for the tub and open up the chassis/engines for innovation within the framework of the formula/rules

Chief
07-01-09, 02:28 PM
9) Immediately FIRE Terry Angstadt (or Fred Nation). Anyone who approved or didn't take the time to disapprove of the POOR TASTE displayed by MOTOROLA BOOST marketing execs in the creation of the MAN BOOBS or HIGH HEELED PIT CREW commercials need to be punched right in the face. DIGNITY needs to be restored to INDY/INDYCAR, marketing the series as some cross-dressing transvestite-a-thon with men having their boobs signed is a travesty. Would a gathering of past Indy winners in high-heels pushing up their man-boobs at the yard-o-bricks bring it home for you? Didn't think so.....the entire George reich is littered with crap like this....:thumdown::shakehead

Chief
07-01-09, 02:39 PM
10) STOP with the stunts and publicity gags. They are stupid. Which got more publicity: The race at Richmond or the Porta-Potty / Pregnancy cam?

11) Jack Arute. While few love the sport like Jack, it's time for him to go too. His rhetoric on air and in the media OPENLY showed his bias. Like the IRL moniker, he goes too.

12) OPENLY accept the CART and CCWS history...and what it meant without sound threatened by it. It's over, it was what it was....influencial, great and unfortunately GONE. Respect it, NOW.

Gnam
07-01-09, 03:02 PM
Above all else encourage competition, reward achievement, be honest.
I'm tired of phony racing and everyone pretending it's all great.

But who are we kidding? This ship is upside down on the rocks, on fire, at the bottom of the ocean, and the open bar just closed. This is not an opportunity for rebirth, this is the King Rat fleeing for his life while some corporate functionary figures out the cheapest way to scrap this wreck.

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 03:05 PM
But who are we kidding? This ship is upside down on the rocks, on fire, at the bottom of the ocean, and the open bar just closed. This is not an opportunity for rebirth, this is the King Rat fleeing for his life while some corporate functionary figures out the cheapest way to scrap this wreck.

Probably right. A way for someone else to sell the thing to NASCAR so that Tony doesn't have that associated with him too.

Elmo T
07-01-09, 03:06 PM
Not sure who or what will be running the show here - but when the dust settles, I'd like a simple apology. Meaningless? Maybe - but I want to know that they see the wreckage.

Step up, put on your big-boy pants as my wife says. Regardless of who made more - both sides made some dumb moves and lost sight of what AOW is all about. They managed to alienate both the CART fans and the IRL fans - no small feat there. :saywhat:

Now apologize. We got it wrong. You all deserve better. We are going to do better and here is how...

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 03:17 PM
Not sure who or what will be running the show here - but when the dust settles, I'd like a simple apology. Meaningless? Maybe - but I want to know that they see the wreckage.

Step up, put on your big-boy pants as my wife says. Regardless of who made more - both sides made some dumb moves and lost sight of what AOW is all about. They managed to alienate both the CART fans and the IRL fans - no small feat there. :saywhat:

Now apologize. We got it wrong. You all deserve better. We are going to do better and here is how...

That's actually a small gesture that could go a very long way in luring back us ol' diehards. The new CEO should have his first meeting with his team and make them all look at pictures of the diehards 20 deep at the fence in Mid Ohio, the camp sites at RA, the packed stands at MIS.
this 'thing' needs to stop being about Indy and Indy only. CART was bigger than Indy and it's fans would travel en mass to out of the way tracks. Now they can't get full stands in the middle of large cities, even with the lure of beach volley ball.

oddlycalm
07-01-09, 03:24 PM
The 'new' CEO? The one who's only qualification is the fact that he's one of Tony's high school buddies, the one who's been attached to the Hulman teat for umpteen years? His name might as well be Flensburg.

Yup, there are dozens of actions a professional management team would take, many of them listed here in other posts, but when you see a schlamiel like this guy appointed it's not a sign that big changes are on the way.

oc

cameraman
07-01-09, 04:00 PM
Not a damned thing will change.

1. They appointed one of FTG's buddies to replace him.

2. Nobody on the planet is stupid enough to give the Hulman George clan the cash required to rebuild this train wreck.

3. NASCAR would just as soon see it go Chapter 7 as spend a dime buying it. They would probably run into some kind of anti-trust nightmare anyway.

RusH
07-01-09, 04:03 PM
Their should be team representation on the Indy Car board...so much so it would balance out the Hulmanista pigs :gomer:

Give enough power to the people that actually spend money to race.

SteveH
07-01-09, 06:39 PM
Not a damned thing will change.

I'm afraid you're right.

And as long as there are place fans, Indy is protected. They will accept anything that comes out of 16th and G'town Road. Change or no change, they will be back next May.

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 07:20 PM
I'm afraid you're right.

And as long as there are place fans, Indy is protected. They will accept anything that comes out of 16th and G'town Road. Change or no change, they will be back next May.

But if all the other races disintegrate like they appear to be, who will bankroll a once a year effort at Indy?

pchall
07-01-09, 07:30 PM
But if all the other races disintegrate like they appear to be, who will bankroll a once a year effort at Indy?

When ancient Dallaras are dirt cheap the entries for the 500 will be owned by local car dealers and bowling alley proprietors and worked on at disused gas stations with service bays just like the god of the :gomer: intended.

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 07:32 PM
When ancient Dallaras are dirt cheap the entries for the 500 will be owned by local car dealers and bowling alley proprietors just like the god of the :gomer: intended.

:rofl:

Ripped
07-01-09, 08:17 PM
1) print out the 1996 CART rulebook.
2) Enforce it.

Lux Interior
07-01-09, 09:47 PM
Sing and Dance:D

doppelganger
07-01-09, 09:51 PM
Scrap everything going on now. Put Chief in charge. He seems to have knowledge and the pulse of true OW fans.

stroker
07-01-09, 10:00 PM
1. Offer up a contract to whoever can produce 150 carbon tubs (@ $200K/tub) that'll:
1a. meet FIA F1 safety regs.
1b. have engine plates that'll fit all three Big 3 V8 smallblocks AND
1c. fit all common two liter smallblock turbos

2. Offer up 30 franchises to teams (maximum two cars per race per franchisee) who sign up for the entire 2010 season
2a. Buy in for the franchise ($1 million) gets you five tubs from the series

3. Offer up contracts for bid for no less than three tire companies the chance to be Series tires representatives.
3a. The contract specifies that each company must produce tires to be sold to ANY franchise team at each event. Franchises who sign 2010 contracts get first dibs.
3b. Companies, regardless of how many teams sign contracts, must bring enough tires to cover at least fifty percent of the field with six sets of tires for the weekend.

4. Offer up contracts for bid of Ethanol, Methanol and Biodiesel producers. One company for each product will be signed for the season. Franchisees may run either product and cars running biodiesel get advantages in fuel capacity (fewer pit stops) and/or overall starting/finishing weight and/or claiming price

5. Cars have minimal aero effect allowed but enable some wings for the intention of establishing minimal stability and turbulence. Cars may be streamlined but may not generate downforce through the use of undertrays or tunnels

6. Franchisees run whatever suspension they want

7. The winning car from each race may claimed by any other franchisee (as it sits in the winners circle) for a minimum bid of $500K. Multiple claims results in an auction. Winning bid exceeding $500K results in $500K going to the team owning the winning car and the remainder going to the sanctioning body. The winning team gets to keep the car if there are no bids.

That's my start.

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 10:12 PM
8) No wife cams! (with the exception of Emma Dixon):D

stroker
07-01-09, 10:54 PM
8) No wife cams! (with the exception of Emma Dixon):D

Jeebus, how did I forget the TV contract?

Hard Driver
07-02-09, 11:28 PM
Easy,

1) Rename the series "Champcar"
2) Use the DP01, but fit with Hondas if need be contractually. But ask if they can use the old Honda turbos.
3) Drop several of the ovals (Richmand, Iowa, Kentucky) and return to Leguna Seca, and Mid-Ohio.

miatanut
07-02-09, 11:58 PM
When ancient Dallaras are dirt cheap the entries for the 500 will be owned by local car dealers and bowling alley proprietors and worked on at disused gas stations with service bays just like the god of the :gomer: intended.

:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
07-03-09, 12:16 AM
8) No wife cams! (with the exception of Emma Dixon):D Long standing tradition..........Sandy Hat Cam.

peasant
07-03-09, 03:56 AM
Only one thing to add to this far too logicaL thread, Stop using IRL only stats. Put the thing in a proper historical context. Why the f*** wouldn't you want names like foyt and andretti in the same lists as your current drivers? That gives the whole lot more cred to any series, sort of the polar opposite of what arute does :yuck:

SurfaceUnits
07-03-09, 07:10 AM
make fans actually pay for tickets to attend races. That will keep 95% of the gomers away.

miatanut
07-03-09, 11:24 PM
Just noticed the original topic of this thread a day after posting in it. :gomer:

My serious answer is 'Just keep doing what you're doing, IRL. You're doing a great job serving your core demographic.'

I won't be interested in it until after it's completely burned to the ground and whatever replaces it doesn't have Indy in the name and it has no connection to IMS at all. Ideally, that would mean not even running there in May, but that's probably too much to hope for.

I went from being an American open wheel fanatic to someone who has moved on, like millions of others. It would take something truly new and different to bring me back.

Just enjoyed a great day at our local vintage event. No IRL event can hold a candle to that.

matthole
07-03-09, 11:34 PM
A serious question: what should the new CEO do?

Serious answer: fold. Cease all league operations immediately and permanently. Liquidate any related assets, including IMS.

Take this seriously, as if it could really make a difference.

That's rather nonsensical.

BMEP
07-05-09, 08:40 PM
Great idea. I think I will write up a white paper laying this concept out in more detail.

When you get done with it and things get going, give me a ring - I know a guy who can take the series public. We'll make millions!

Methanolandbrats
07-05-09, 08:48 PM
Change the name and apologize to fans.
Announce the following:

Dump most ovals.
Add natural terrain road courses
Turbo motor with more power.
No more goofy **** like alternate tires or ptp.
Plan new car.