PDA

View Full Version : News Flash! "tweaks" for IRL oval aero woes

pchall
06-30-09, 11:35 PM
link (http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=14463)

Looks like all they could think to do was shake up the old optional parts bag and see what fell out.

The IndyCar Series will provide aerodynamic options to teams for 1.5-mile oval racetracks with a goal of improving performance, specifically overtaking.

Tools include tire ramps and sidepod extensions, and brake backing plates for Kentucky Speedway, Chicagoland Speedway, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Kansas Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. Utilized with other track-specific aero packages, the changes would add about 300 pounds of downforce to the cars and potentially create more overtaking opportunities.

The options will be available for the Meijer Indy 300 presented by Red Baron and Edy's on Aug. 1 at Kentucky Speedway. The IndyCar Series competes on three consecutive road/street courses in July.

In addition to the optional tire ramps and sidepod extensions and the brake backing plates, the 0.125-inch front wing wicker was removed from the aero package for the Indy Japan 300 at Twin Ring Motegi in September.

"The good news is it shouldn't introduce costs back into what we're doing because these are all things teams have had and know what their affect is," Brian Barnhart, president of the competition and operations divisions of the sanctioning Indy Racing League, said when addressing issues of overtaking on the speedways .

Methanolandbrats
06-30-09, 11:47 PM
New rules.........sorta like diffusers for retards.

Don Quixote
06-30-09, 11:49 PM
This is huge, huge I tell you. By golly, I think they finally have this figured out! :tony:

miatanut
06-30-09, 11:56 PM
Can somebody explain to me how adding downforce to cars that already have way too much downforce for their power level will allow a car to go out in the marbles and pass a car on clean track?

DagoFast
07-01-09, 12:12 AM
Can somebody explain to me how adding downforce to cars that already have way too much downforce for their power level will allow a car to go out in the marbles and pass a car on clean track?

:laugh: You couldn't find the tongue in cheek smiley?

miatanut
07-01-09, 12:47 AM
:laugh: You couldn't find the tongue in cheek smiley?

Seriously.

As something of a technogeek, with everything I know about racing, this would accomplish absolutely nothing.

If anything, it would produce an open wheel equivalent of restrictor plate racing, because if you get out of the draft, you are completely screwed. Even MORE reason not to go out there, not less.

Can they really be that clueless? :confused:

SurfaceUnits
07-01-09, 12:51 AM
no one ever said the current crapwagon has too many appendages already :laugh:

cameraman
07-01-09, 01:13 AM
Can they really be that clueless? :confused:Is it still a rhetorical question if you were hoping for an answer?

opinionated ow
07-01-09, 01:27 AM
WTF is a tyre ramp going to do for the racing? Or is it something different to that which I envisage?

gerhard911
07-01-09, 07:20 AM
Ummm, yeah, that'll fixer it up real good :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
07-01-09, 07:46 AM
lest we forget...that new package comes with 200 rpm

NismoZ
07-01-09, 08:39 AM
Vee vill CRUSH de marbles...not roll ober dem!:gomer:

NismoZ
07-01-09, 08:45 AM
PS-if "these were all things teams have had and know" why were they taken away in the first place? Probably a safety thing. Passing can be dangerous ya know.

extramundane
07-01-09, 08:51 AM
WTF is a tyre ramp going to do for the racing? Or is it something different to that which I envisage?

http://www.chinamachinerymanufacturer.com/images/CarRamps_7383.jpg

Helps get 'em into the grater that much quicker. :thumbup:

grungex
07-01-09, 09:19 AM
Beat me to the punch! :rofl: :rofl:

opinionated ow
07-01-09, 09:47 AM
http://www.chinamachinerymanufacturer.com/images/CarRamps_7383.jpg

Helps get 'em into the grater that much quicker. :thumbup:

I thought that was a tyre ramp!

Dvdb
07-01-09, 11:34 PM
"The options will be available for the Meijer Indy 300 presented by Red Baron and Edy's on Aug. 1 at Kentucky Speedway"

This is your target market?? Bad frozen pie and quarts of ice cream??

SurfaceUnits
07-02-09, 10:53 AM
"The options will be available for the Meijer Indy 300 presented by Red Baron and Edy's on Aug. 1 at Kentucky Speedway"

This is your target market?? Bad frozen pie and quarts of ice cream??

they are obviously targeting the pregnant gomers

Sean Malone
07-02-09, 11:10 AM
they are obviously targeting the pregnant gomers

Thus the frequent Emma Dixon contraction updates! Now I get it!!!!:D

oddlycalm
07-02-09, 03:30 PM
Brainfart discharges once again and in the acrid pall of partially digested and half-baked thoughts an image of the south end of a north bound horse begins to emerge....

oc

pchall
07-02-09, 05:56 PM
More details on the aero changes.

Beginning with the August 1 race at Kentucky Speedway and continuing with the August 29 race at Chicagoland Speedway, the flap angle of the rear wing will be 12 degrees with a rear wing wicker a minimum of 1-inch, a 0.500-inch vertical end fence wicker and a 0.125-inch front wing wicker. Teams also have the option of adding Tire Ramps and Sidepod Extension and Brack Backing Plates as well as a curved skid plate.

The September 19 race at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan allows for the previous rules changes but with a flap angle of the rear wing at 15 degrees and no Front Wing Wicker change. The October 10 season-finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway allows the previous rules but the flap angle of the rear wing will be a minimum of 10 degrees without the front wicker at 0.125-inches.

Bruce Martin at Bootlicker Central (http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/80904/?UserDef=true&catID=2257&tf=bruce_martin.tpl)

The first part of his entry is the most amazing apologia for Tony George. But what else would you expect from a guy whose 15 minutes of fame included getting a DUI for crashing an IMS courtesy truck in May?

NismoZ
07-02-09, 05:59 PM
So, the rest of the season is just a test?:gomer:

Gary
07-02-09, 10:09 PM
So, with these new aero mods, they will be going even slower. How exciting. I can hardly wait. I'm sure lots more people will now be tuning in to watch.

To get the speeds back to their current pathetic levels, Honda will have to boost the power back up to where it was before they tried to copy the Cossie's longevity specs, but they will then have to re-build more often, so the engine lease cost will have to increase, but no problem, with the newly re-discovered side-by-side racing, the sponsors will gladly absorb the increased engine lease cost.

oh, wait...

Hameroids
07-02-09, 11:34 PM
But what else would you expect from a guy whose 15 minutes of fame included getting a DUI for crashing an IMS courtesy truck in May?

http://i41.tinypic.com/nq9sw6.jpg

Don't Taz Me, Bro!

Methanolandbrats
07-02-09, 11:52 PM
More details on the aero changes.

Bruce Martin at Bootlicker Central (http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/80904/?UserDef=true&catID=2257&tf=bruce_martin.tpl)

The first part of his entry is the most amazing apologia for Tony George. But what else would you expect from a guy whose 15 minutes of fame included getting a DUI for crashing an IMS courtesy truck in May? He's gotta be Tony's lover.......nobody is that stupid
unless they are blinded by passion.

Don Quixote
07-03-09, 08:50 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/nq9sw6.jpg

Don't Taz Me, Bro! :rofl: :rofl:

Ziggy
07-03-09, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the laughs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

and yes, these guys are that ****ing stupid