PDA

View Full Version : ding dong the witch is dead

Pages : [1] 2

Don Quixote
06-30-09, 04:54 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090630/LOCAL/90630049/Tony+George+resigns+as+CEO+of+IMS

Methanolandbrats
06-30-09, 04:56 PM
The board must not have been able to convince him to stay.

Don Quixote
06-30-09, 04:57 PM
Gomers are saying that Miller was wrong, because he resigned and was not ousted. :D

Napoleon
06-30-09, 05:05 PM
Gomers are saying that Miller was wrong, because he resigned and was not ousted. :D

Right, because nobody has ever been know to quit their job 2 seconds before they got fired.

SurfaceUnits
06-30-09, 05:11 PM
he's not dead....wait till you see what he can accomplish with his full attention on smucking up racing :shakehead

wait a minute, cavein is reporting the bastard resigned from the Indy racing league as well

B3RACER1a
06-30-09, 05:18 PM
'bout time. Put Cotman in charge please.

Methanolandbrats
06-30-09, 05:32 PM
he's not dead....wait till you see what he can accomplish with his full attention on smucking up racing :shakehead

wait a minute, cavein is reporting the bastard resigned from the Indy racing league as well Then it won't be his fault when they shut it down.

JLMannin
06-30-09, 05:32 PM
Article says he has resigned as CEO of the IRL as well. Looks like his replacement at IMS corp has been a long time bud of Tony's. A quick Google search for Jeff Belskus turned up the following bio:

Jeff Belskus Currently executive vice president for administration and operations of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Hulman & Co., Terre Haute native Jeff Belskus first met Tony George while he attended Terre Haute South Vigo High School and George attended Schulte High School. They became better acquainted as they both attended Indiana State University. Belskus majored in accounting and became a certified public accountant; he first began working for the speedway in 1987. At 37, the same age as Tony, Belskus now lives in Indianapolis and shares an occasional game of golf with his friend and boss. ``I consider myself very fortunate to work with Tony and his family. They are a very good group of people and they have been very good to me,'' he said. Belskus is among several Terre Haute natives who work at the speedway ?? others include Curt Brighton, vice president and general counsel; Peggy Swalls, vice president for administration; Kevin Forbes, director of engineering and construction; Kent Liffick, director of event promotions; and Gloria Novotney, director of credentials. Novotney is also secretary of the Wabash Valley Broadcasting Corp., which owns WTHI-TV and radio.

Curt Brighton, by the way, was named to lead Hulman Corp (i.e., National Starch and Clabber Girl)

Chief
06-30-09, 05:39 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9526/tgousted.jpg:thumbup:

Chief
06-30-09, 05:42 PM
THANK GOD Tony George can't screw the sport up anymore! (http://www.indystar.com/article/20090630/LOCAL/90630049/1052/SPORTS01/Tony+George+resigns+as+CEO+of+IRL+and+IMS)

Tony George resigns as CEO of IRL and IMS
By Curt Cavin
Posted: June 30, 2009

Tony George resigned his position as chief executive officer of Hulman & Co., the Indy Racing League and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp. today, but he will remain on the board of the family’s organization.

He will be replaced by Curt Brighton (Hulman & Co.) and Jeff Belskus (IMS Corp.). George, 49, became president and CEO of Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp. in January of 1990 after the death of Joe Cloutier.

George brought NASCAR, Formula One and MotoGP to the Speedway, founded the IRL, oversaw the redevelopment of the facility and led the development of such safety initiatives as the SAFER barrier and the Delphi Safety Team, a group of medical personnel that travels to each Indy-car race. Last year, he was the driving force behind unification of the sport.

But he came under criticism from family members for his financial commitments, particularly the IRL — now in its 14th season — and Vision Racing, the team his stepson, Ed Carpenter, drives for. Last month, board members declined to continue funding the second Vision car that Ryan Hunter-Reay was driving.

mueber
06-30-09, 05:43 PM
It's progress in a sport that desperately needs to change. It will be interesting to see how much the Huhlman-George family lets the new guy pursue change. Let's hope for the best.

Methanolandbrats
06-30-09, 05:50 PM
It's progress in a sport that desperately needs to change. It will be interesting to see how much the Huhlman-George family lets the new guy pursue change. Let's hope for the best. Well, it can't get any worse :laugh:

Don Quixote
06-30-09, 05:52 PM
If they are looking for fresh, new ideas, I heard that Gene Simmons fellow is pretty good.

Elmo T
06-30-09, 05:53 PM
led the development of such safety initiatives as the SAFER barrier and the Delphi Safety Team, a group of medical personnel that travels to each Indy-car race.

I am not discounting the work of any safety team, but puh-lease... :rolleyes:

Chief
06-30-09, 05:58 PM
If they are looking for fresh, new ideas, I heard that Gene Simmons fellow is pretty good.
First order of business...DUMP the IRL moniker and bury it and everything that came with it. It was Tony's folly and legacy and it needs extinction. Or, as we like to call it:

E V O L U T I O N:thumbup:

Lux Interior
06-30-09, 06:02 PM
This is very positive news. Maybe now they can back to to creating a series that people care about. I think it's going to take at least five years and this is if they do it right.

racermike
06-30-09, 06:03 PM

The spin by cleanupcrew (and his post deletions of those that dont see it his way today) are hilarious.

Michaelhatesfans
06-30-09, 06:07 PM
"Last year, he was the driving force behind unification of the sport."

Handy, as he was the single force that ****ed it up in the first place.

G.
06-30-09, 06:12 PM
This is very positive news. Maybe now they can back to to creating a series that people care about. I think it's going to take at least five years and this is if they do it right.

I don't see it as positive, except that the earl is done. Maybe it will run next year, but that's about it.

It would be VERY positive, if a group of real businessmen were putting the final touches on the new Excellent American Racing League, or whatever is going to replace Anton's folly.

The IMS funding of earl is done. The board turned it loose to sink or swim on its own.

Any predictions as to what might happen? Should we start a poll? :D :tony:

NismoZ
06-30-09, 06:18 PM
Remember when we used to get the ol' sock tethers attached, waiting for a really big one!? This should qualify...but I just don't give a crap. I'm not even going to waste energy to shrug my shoulders or feign what would only be an empty celebration. A bigger shock for me came when one of my stick-and-ball obcessed buddies asked me how I liked "that race in Iowa" and I had no idea the damn thing had even been run! Circle of life. Think I'll look for a Nassau blue '66 Corvair Corsa. Get the turbo this time!:)

SurfaceUnits
06-30-09, 06:23 PM
Last month, board members declined to continue funding the second Vision car that Ryan Hunter-Reay was driving.

NismoZ
06-30-09, 06:31 PM
Glad all those accomplishments were listed though so we could all be reminded of the great things he's done for the sport.:shakehead

grungex
06-30-09, 06:31 PM
Another article:

Racer (http://www.racer.com/2009/06/tony-george-out-as-president-and-ceo-of-ims/)

Mari Hulman George explained, “Our family believes the greatest opportunity we have for growth is the Indy Racing League, and we had hoped Tony would agree to continue to be its CEO and to use all of his talents to attain that end. He has decided not to do that, though he will continue to support the League as a team owner and as a member of our board. Our whole family is dedicated to the growth and the future of the Indy Racing League and of all of our companies.

:rofl:

Al Czervik
06-30-09, 06:32 PM
The spin by cleanupcrew (and his post deletions of those that dont see it his way today) are hilarious.

You expected anything else?

mueber
06-30-09, 06:33 PM
I don't see it as positive, except that the earl is done. Maybe it will run next year, but that's about it.

It would be VERY positive, if a group of real businessmen were putting the final touches on the new Excellent American Racing League, or whatever is going to replace Anton's folly.

The IMS funding of earl is done. The board turned it loose to sink or swim on its own.

Any predictions as to what might happen? Should we start a poll? :D :tony:

I have no idea what is going to happen, but I could see an entirely new series developing, especially if the Speedway decides to get out of the way.

If it doesn't happen, the Indy 500 becomes a NASCAR event, and OW is terminated indefinitely.

grungex
06-30-09, 06:34 PM
Cleanupspew has been beating people up because they (rightly) thought the Richmond race was shite. Did you know that having the pit stall nearest pit out gives you no advantage whatsoever? I learned that from Scooter Gates, who has the proof. No, really!

DagoFast
06-30-09, 06:51 PM
14 years late and 3/4 of a billion short.

SteveH
06-30-09, 07:08 PM
Regardless, the damage is done and I'm afraid its final. Keep in mind, the removal of Tony George was not done because the sport had suffered or that the competition itself was inferior. It was done due to the impact his actions had on the Hulman/George bank account. This action does not constitute a turn around for the sport, merely a process to stop the family from bleeding money.

His legacy is now one of disgrace.

cart7
06-30-09, 07:10 PM
14 years, 14 years.

I'd love to laugh my ass off right now but it just isn't coming. What a ****ing waste.

RusH
06-30-09, 07:11 PM
Time to forget,,cart,,irl,,,the split,,, or every forum will be nostalgia.

and

Mr. Brammer- "good for Tony, he`s good looking"

:rofl:

Don Quixote
06-30-09, 07:24 PM
Sure, the era of AOW racing may be coming to a close. But today, things are just a little bit better than they were yesterday. In my mind, the only hope is to blow up the establishment and start over again. If some pioneer shows up and starts a new series without the baggage and politics of the past, I'll give it a try. Hell, I'd even go back to the 500.

Gnam
06-30-09, 07:31 PM
Helio and Wheldon have scheduled the cat fight over the ruby slippers for Wednesday next. :p

Does anyone know if the new leader gots visions, too? :tony:

oddlycalm
06-30-09, 07:34 PM
Glad to see TG proven wrong and humiliated, even though he probably doesn't realize it after his life long pursuit of mediocrity. Thanks for f'ing things up for the rest of us you witless slug. This would have been a happy day had it happened 12-13yrs ago. At this point it's just about game over time.

Typical family business decision. Instead of finally recognizing that they need qualified professional management to be successful they go with TG's childhood buddy who's been clutching onto his meal ticket with his buddies family for the last 22yrs. He has no other experience than being a back bencher at the IMS. :rolleyes: He's very unlikely to have the confidence and horsepower to do the things that are necessary like dumping Brainfart, purging the ranks of idiots under him, hiring a professional marketing department and resurfacing the bloody track correctly. I hope for good things but I'm not holding my breath.

oc

pchall
06-30-09, 07:46 PM
So, does Ben Johnston still have all those engineless DP01s stored some place? ;)

If some pioneer shows up and starts a new series without the baggage and politics of the past, I'll give it a try. Hell, I'd even go back to the 500.

Lux Interior
06-30-09, 07:52 PM
So, does Ben Johnston still have all those engineless DP01s stored some place?

24 DP-01s running at Burke Lakefront Airport next summer sounds like a mighty fine to me.:thumbup: I'll take those cossie turbo's again too. Those things were nice and racey.

However, two chassis, two engine, and two tire suppliers would be great.

mueber
06-30-09, 07:53 PM
Tony George accomplished much over the years:

a) He made me realize what jerks my "heroes" are/were,
b) He spent his children's inheritances before they could squander them,
c) He made me realize that I could live without Indy which led to my discovering the joys of barbecuing on Memorial Day weekend,
d) He made having cable pointless, which saves me money.

All that having been said, I'd happily return to squandering my time and money on American Open Wheel if someone steps up and makes it worthwhile.

FTG
06-30-09, 08:00 PM
The bad news is that if you launch an insane jihad, and are the only one in the world who says FTG, and you refuse to give up, even after sane millionaires like Penske and Kalkoven give up, you can emerge victorious.

I apologize in advance for all the nutjobs who follow in my footsteps.

DagoFast
06-30-09, 08:19 PM
The absolute best news is that IMS is still screwed financially. They either continue to pour money into the earl or they will have no cars for their big May race. No big May race, no income. Quite the catch 22. :D

But toeknee did wonned them this: They are the undisputed owners of the big stinking pile that is AOW. :gomer:

Karma freakin' rocks!

gjc2
06-30-09, 08:25 PM
"he was the driving force behind unification of the sport"

didn't they omit some details?

NismoZ
06-30-09, 08:31 PM
More like the driving farce, I'd say.

G.
06-30-09, 08:53 PM
Remember when we used to get the ol' sock tethers attached, waiting for a really big one!? This should qualify...but I just don't give a crap.
It's because we've always known and we were always right. And we're sick of telling the stupid ****ing gomers that they're idiots. Well, some of us are.

I wonder what rosco's take would be...

nrc
06-30-09, 08:57 PM
Reading other stories like this AP account (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jry46yGNZnwgMKwgcGwYrHPYLDMAD99597700) really makes it clear that Tony was, in fact, fired from IMS and the Hulman company. They were happy to let him continue playing with his toy on his own but it seems that he followed-up by resigning from that too. Leave it to Curt Cavin to keep his nose firmly planted between Tony's cheeks to the end.

He knows very well that without IMS money continuing to lead his "vision" is going to be an exercise in humiliation and defeat. This has always been about that moron and his pride and without IMS money I wouldn't be surprised to see him fold his race team and not show his face at a race track outside of Indianapolis ever again.

While that may provide a glimmer of light, I'm not getting my hopes up. George has managed to destroy everything good about the sport. There is nobody and nothing left in the sport that I care about.

pchall
06-30-09, 09:01 PM
What really needs to happen is for whoever winds up in charge of the 500 to declare the race a Formula Libre event for 2010 open to any FIA crash tested single-seater from a top level series other than F1. Then work out a set of engine equivalencies with air restrictors in the manner of the ACO/ALMS and ballast the chassis equitably and let 'em rip.

Imagine a field of DP01s, Superleague, A1GP, and Formula Nippon cars.

The absolute best news is that IMS is still screwed financially. They either continue to pour money into the earl or they will have no cars for their big May race. No big May race, no income. Quite the catch 22. :D

SurfaceUnits
06-30-09, 09:16 PM
What really needs to happen is for whoever winds up in charge of the 500 to declare the race a Formula Libre event for 2010 open to any FIA crash tested single-seater from a top level series other than F1. Then work out a set of engine equivalencies with air restrictors in the manner of the ACO/ALMS and ballast the chassis equitably and let 'em rip.

Imagine a field of DP01s, Superleague, A1GP, and Formula Nippon cars.

none of those cars are oval stressed. Muricans are the only ones running ovals I think. That is why the Euros bailed on the "Race of two Worlds" caused they were skeart

pchall
06-30-09, 09:21 PM
none of those cars are oval stressed

Nice gomer impression. :p

Spicoli
06-30-09, 09:25 PM
F**** asswhol* is toast!

I have waited very very very long for this to happen. It will take a few years, but hopefully one day before i die i will be able to watch a proper american open wheel race again. live. in person. maybe at RA, or MidO or Cleveland. maybe with some of you folks. maybe with my kids.

Tony - you are a failure. A complete POS, and this whole community had it nailed from day one. go eat some drugs, get drunk and blow your head off. there is nothing left for you to live for. do it. you arrogant, scum sucking self important ego-bloated dumbas$ turd eating sheetstain. i hope your sisters grill your nuts and feed them to rabid bats.

its finally a good day to be a CART fan. :thumbup:

quality > quantity.

Out.

grungex
06-30-09, 09:26 PM
So, does Ben Johnston still have all those engineless DP01s stored some place? ;)

I saw these the other day, perhaps they'd come in handy...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/grungexx/IMG00045.jpg

trish
06-30-09, 09:37 PM
Someone at TF just compared Tony George to Steve Jobs.

pchall
06-30-09, 09:39 PM
Tony - you are a failure. A complete POS, and this whole community had it nailed from day one. go eat some drugs, get drunk and blow your head off. there is nothing left for you to live for. do it. you arrogant, scum sucking self important ego-bloated dumbas$ turd eating sheetstain. i hope your sisters grill your nuts and feed them to rabid bats.

I expect you'll find him in some Osco parking lot trying to score tonight.

Lux Interior
06-30-09, 09:46 PM
Reading other stories like this AP account (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jry46yGNZnwgMKwgcGwYrHPYLDMAD99597700) really makes it clear that Tony was, in fact, fired from IMS and the Hulman company. They were happy to let him continue playing with his toy on his own but it seems that he followed-up by resigning from that too. Leave it to Curt Cavin to keep his nose firmly planted between Tony's cheeks to the end.

He knows very well that without IMS money continuing to lead his "vision" is going to be an exercise in humiliation and defeat. This has always been about that moron and his pride and without IMS money I wouldn't be surprised to see him fold his race team and not show his face at a race track outside of Indianapolis ever again.

While that may provide a glimmer of light, I'm not getting my hopes up. George has managed to destroy everything good about the sport. There is nobody and nothing left in the sport that I care about.

Well put and my feelings also:thumbup:

However, there may some hope for the future without TG in there.

nrc
06-30-09, 09:54 PM

The only organ transplant that would help Tony George would involve that tiny nugget of grey matter between his ears that keeps his face pulled into that moronic grin. :tony:

Sean Malone
06-30-09, 10:39 PM
Absolutely beside myself with joy. Good riddance Tony George. You ruined a sport that was challenging NASCAR, you ran it into the ground and now you're out on your ass. You're a failure Tony George.
I hope the teams put a lot of pressure on the leeeg for change for the better.

miatanut
06-30-09, 10:54 PM
Remember when we used to get the ol' sock tethers attached, waiting for a really big one!? This should qualify...but I just don't give a crap. I'm not even going to waste energy to shrug my shoulders or feign what would only be an empty celebration.

Ditto! Pretty amazing. Something I've wanted for years, and now that it's here, I really don't give a crap.

go eat some drugs, get drunk and blow your head off. there is nothing left for you to live for.
Interesting thought, and it wouldn't completely shock me if it happened in the next few days. Probably his ego is too big to know he has been utterly shamed, though.

DagoFast
06-30-09, 11:01 PM
I hope the teams put a lot of pressure on the leeeg for change for the better.

The same teams that just sent a letter of support to mommy and the sisters? :laugh:

Sean Malone
06-30-09, 11:04 PM
The same teams that just sent a letter of support to mommy and the sisters? :laugh:

The same teams that have apologized to the 15 people watching on TV how god awful the series is.

Indy
06-30-09, 11:15 PM
The teams exist to suck the money out of Tony.

This is a very, very bad situation for them.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Boatdesigner
06-30-09, 11:23 PM
I should be happy, but I just can't build up enough venom to care. While I am glad to see :tony: go, the IRL still sucks and there is nothing visible on the horizon to replace it. I will be much happier when all those slimy team owners who destroyed CART get theirs though. Just something poetic about them jumping into Tony's sinking ship!

SteveH
06-30-09, 11:24 PM
How long before Team Vision folds up its tent? :tony:

Don Quixote
06-30-09, 11:32 PM
Dont know why, but spickly's rant above reminded me of these Dave Bromberg Lyrics.

I know you just cooked up this mess to find out exactly how
Long you could keep me stuck in it
Pick up your telephone dial information ask for the time
You can calculate it to the last goddamn minute, now look-
You did not have to hurt me baby
No you did not need to be that cruel
I’ll be your lover or your friend darling
I’ll be Goddamn, 6 feet under ground, dead in my grave, buried and long forgot
I’ll be so long gone and forgot that my flesh will have turned and returned to the nutrients and elements and the molecules from which it originated
I mean to say that the genus and species of worms that used to crawl in and out of the sockets of my eyelid holes will vanish from the face of the earth
I need to say I’ll see the earth leave its orbit
I’ll wear the rings of Saturn for a ring around my little pinky
I’ll let your sister marry a Venutian
I will see you dead
I’ll see your lover dead
I’ll see his lover dead
I’ll see his lover dead
I’ll see his lover dead
I’ll see that faggot dead
I’ll see everyone you ever knew, loved, touched, stood next to, heard of, smelt, felt, dreamed about in your life or any of your descendant’s lives -- down to the 168th person
Roasted and tortured in hell
For 1 billion trillion years
16 eternity’s
27 forevers
11 thousand years after that before I will be your fool!

chop456
07-01-09, 02:45 AM
The true depths of his idiocy may never be fully understood.

Consider that all he had to do to ensure the growth and future of the speedway was NOTHING, and he couldn't even handle that. :laugh:

I still feel sorry for all those who lost their jobs due to one man's ego. I even feel for the rest of the family a little bit, though they did have the opportunity to yank the twit's leash years ago.

How much do you have to suck to get canned by your family? :rofl:

eiregosod
07-01-09, 06:07 AM
How much do you have to suck to get canned by your family? :rofl:

he still has his intertube fanbois.

eiregosod
07-01-09, 06:23 AM
question?

Will the IRL now start to have a more secure future?

KLang
07-01-09, 06:43 AM
Outstanding news. :thumbup:

But there may be nothing left to save at this point. :mad:

I'm trying to imagine what could happen to make me GAF again and I'm coming up blank.

pchall
07-01-09, 07:01 AM
question?

Will the IRL now start to have a more secure future?

You're kidding, right? After "resigning" from his IRL CEO position as well it looks like :tony: won't even put his own money into his benighted Vision™ of a series. Who else might want to pour millions into "fixing" a series that is beyond help?

eiregosod
07-01-09, 07:31 AM

:shakehead

pchall
07-01-09, 08:55 AM
Cavin chirps in with his IndyScar blog:

George's exit not expected to hurt IRL brand
By Curt Cavin
Posted: July 1, 2009

A Tony George's decision to resign as CEO of the Indy Racing League is not expected to have an adverse impact on the series' ability to attract additional sponsorship. What ability to attract sponsorship?

"People aren't that close to the sport, so their questions are more marketing- and commercial-related," said Zak Brown, whose Zionsville-based company Just Marketing International is a leader in sponsor signings. "It's 'What's the race schedule? How are the TV ratings doing? Where do you stand with a title sponsor?'

"I don't think Tony George leaving his position has an impact on those questions. He doesn't bring a commercial value, if that makes sense."
Yes, unfortunately, it does. Tony has never been an asset in this mess.

But Brown, who called George's departure "unsettling for the industry," said sponsors will be eager to hear from Jeff Belskus, the new president and CEO of Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp., now that the IRL falls under his jurisdiction.

"They'll want to know what are the strategic decisions to make the league profitable," he said. Wouldn't they be more interested in finding out what number of eyeballs they can expect on Versus next year?

Belskus declined to comment Tuesday after George stepped down.

Roger Penske, whose race team has won a record 15 Indianapolis 500s, said Belskus and Curt Brighton, who takes over George's duties as president and CEO of Hulman & Co., will be fine because of their extensive work with the family-owned company. Just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, right Rog'?

Belskus was hired by George in 1987, Brighton in 1994.

"Those are good people and capable people, and they represent the family's interest," Penske said. "They've been involved in the discussions before, so it's not like we've got a brand-new cast of characters that we don't know."

John Barnes, who owns Panther Racing, an IRL team, does not expect IMS Corp. to reduce its commitment to the league.

"I don't know about team support, but from the league standpoint, IMS and the IRL are hooked at the hip," he said. "Only a fool would believe that's not the case, especially after you see how many people show up for the (NASCAR race) compared to how many people were at the Indy 500."You're right, John. Conjoined twins do tend to die together.

NASCAR's Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, which will be run for the 16th time later this month, is expected to see a significant crowd reduction after Goodyear tire problems spoiled last year's event.

This year's 500 had a near-capacity crowd estimated at 250,000.

JLMannin
07-01-09, 08:56 AM
On the news this morning, it was mentioned that :tony: was extended the offer to stay on as CEO of the IRL, but he declined.

The sisters should have canned him in 1994 when he first mentioned starting up his league.

The love the part in the Star article where they give him credit for reuniting open wheel racing last season. That's like giving the arsonist an award for calling the fire department to put out a fire they started. :shakehead Yea, a real hero :rolleyes:

SteveH
07-01-09, 09:17 AM
On the news this morning, it was mentioned that :tony: was extended the offer to stay on as CEO of the IRL, but he declined.

The spoiled brat that he is. Does this surprise anyone?

extramundane
07-01-09, 10:25 AM
Stolen from elsewhere: Tony George is still a circle jerk, just with one less circle. :rofl:

Napoleon
07-01-09, 10:32 AM

Are you sure they said Steve Jobs and not Steve Gob? Either you got it wrong or the guy on TF had a typo.

Now Steve Gob is someone I can see being compared to Tony George. Gob, being a bit of a luddite, believed that the future of calculation lay in dumbing down technology, so while in April 1977 Steve Jobs was bringing out the Apple II, Gob was bringing out the Abacus II. Likewise in May of 1980 while Jobs was bringing out the Apple III, Gob was stepping up his game and bringing out the Abacus III.

Gob’s products were complete failures and his name is seldem mentioned anymore. So I am pretty sure the comparison that the person over on TF was making was to Gob.

The famed Abacus II

http://www.brianmicklethwait.com/education/archives/Abacus.gif

. . . and Abacus III.

http://www.hulteen.com/eric/images/italy_2008/large/img_0055_kate_abacus.jpg

Corner5
07-01-09, 10:54 AM

The sisters should have canned him in 1994 when he first mentioned starting up his league.

The love the part in the Star article where they give him credit for reuniting open wheel racing last season. That's like giving the arsonist an award for calling the fire department to put out a fire they started. :shakehead Yea, a real hero :rolleyes:

Without the money Tg had to resign, he didn't know how to run the series any other way. Uniting OW? He paid $10 million for CC then crapped on its fans. The guy was clueless. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
07-01-09, 10:58 AM

I can see why. Jobs had cancer, TOney is cancer. easy mis-association

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 01:32 PM
"Tony is very passionate about Indy Car and he ultimately accomplished what he set out to do," said Zak Brown, founder of Just Marketing International in Indianapolis. "But the league was losing a lot of money, and given that and the world economy there was a lot of concern at 16th and Georgetown (where IMS stands). At the same time he's (nearly) 50 and has a life away from the league, and he probably felt he has done his job and decided to leave."

:rofl::rofl:

trish
07-01-09, 01:42 PM
Have any of the teams responded to this news?

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 01:44 PM

I'm guessing once they sober up after last nights party...

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the Humpy Wheeler rumors from 2 weeks ago were bogus.

pchall
07-01-09, 01:48 PM

Not that I've noticed.

It might be interesting to see which teams don't unload their trailers at Watkins Glen on Thursday.

DagoFast
07-01-09, 02:09 PM
Not that I've noticed.

It might be interesting to see which teams don't unload their trailers at Watkins Glen on Thursday.

Did toeknee pay ahead or did he dole out tonybux on a race by race basis?

NismoZ
07-01-09, 02:20 PM
Re: the "Vision folding" question...hasn't the team already half-folded? A work in progress.:thumbup:

oddlycalm
07-01-09, 02:22 PM

Yep, the ultimate futility.

oc

pchall
07-01-09, 04:17 PM
Did toeknee pay ahead or did he dole out tonybux on a race by race basis?

Would you pay an out fit like Team 3G and Jacques Lazier before they gridded a car for you? Only an idiot would do that... oh, I forget who is in charge of that nuthouse.

oddlycalm
07-01-09, 05:39 PM
Instead, IRL management was filled with old college buddies of his and others with little connection to, or knowledge of, the sport.

Requiem for a lightweight (http://www.racinboys.com/blog/view/post_id/251)

What an original believer has to say now.

oc

Sean Malone
07-01-09, 05:51 PM

oc

I agree with the writer, the healing can only truly begin now that Tony is official gone. That was the catalyst. Like Hussein. :)

WickerBill
07-02-09, 06:45 AM
I agree with the writer, the healing can only truly begin now that Tony is official gone. That was the catalyst. Like Hussein. :)

May sound stupid, but the name and logo have to be removed as well. Hussein wasn't only removed, his statues were removed too.

Yes the cars are crap, but they'll go away soon enough.

If I were asked what keeps me from watching, Arute would be pretty high on the list. Bad reporter? Ehh, he's a pit reporter, he says the same things everyone else says, "how does it FEEEEEL?" -- ugh. But he made himself a wedge in this sport, opining on how much better one side was than the other, and for that, he needs to be put to pasture. He is a reminder of the group that celebrated the disease that killed the sport as if it were a good thing.

pchall
07-02-09, 07:53 AM
May sound stupid, but the name and logo have to be removed as well. Hussein wasn't only removed, his statues were removed too.

Tony's chemical WMD are much easier to find, though. Catering by Johnathan Byrd's. Track dogs. Tenderloin sammiches at DQ.

JT265
07-02-09, 08:10 AM

Yes the cars are crap, but they'll go away soon enough.

If I were asked what keeps me from watching, Arute would be pretty high on the list. Bad reporter? Ehh, he's a pit reporter, he says the same things everyone else says, "how does it FEEEEEL?" -- ugh. But he made himself a wedge in this sport, opining on how much better one side was than the other, and for that, he needs to be put to pasture. He is a reminder of the group that celebrated the disease that killed the sport as if it were a good thing.

I agree 114.5%. Aroot, Jenkins, and all the other enabling bastards need to go. And like others, I'm saddened that I don't seem to be able to GAF about Mumbles.

Maybe when the venue and the 'leeeg' become a Nascar property I will.

Boogity boogity, freakin' boogity. :tony:

Napoleon
07-02-09, 08:57 AM
Hussein wasn't only removed, his statues were removed too.

Does this mean that we can expect to find TG in a spiderhole somewhere in Marion County Indiana?

Sean Malone
07-02-09, 08:58 AM
Does this mean that we can expect to find TG in a spiderhole somewhere in Marion County Indiana?

Spicoli's leading a drunken posse, I mean 'search party' as we speak!

extramundane
07-02-09, 09:04 AM
Spicoli's leading a drunken posse, I mean 'search party' as we speak!

It's not really a posse, though- it's just that he's seeing double and triple, so he thinks he has people with him. But hey, if TG's passed out drunk in a trashcan, Spic'll find him!

Michaelhatesfans
07-02-09, 10:24 AM
Does this mean that Spicoli will have to find a different place to take a dump now?

Lux Interior
07-02-09, 05:32 PM
Does this mean that Spicoli will have to find a different place to take a dump now?

This thread has turned into a discussion of Spicoli's partying - now THERE'S a surprise:rofl:

Sean Malone
07-02-09, 10:26 PM
This thread has turned into a discussion of Spicoli's partying - now THERE'S a surprise:rofl:

Don't all threads?:confused:

Hard Driver
07-02-09, 10:47 PM
F**** asswhol* is toast!

I have waited very very very long for this to happen. It will take a few years, but hopefully one day before i die i will be able to watch a proper american open wheel race again. live. in person. maybe at RA, or MidO or Cleveland. maybe with some of you folks. maybe with my kids.

its finally a good day to be a CART fan. :thumbup:

quality > quantity.

Out.

Well Said ! :thumbup:

Hard Driver
07-02-09, 10:56 PM

Even an idiot as dumb as TG knows that the league is doomed without the track subsidizing it millions from the NASCAR race every year. So he decided to turn over the controls of the plane after sending it into a death spiral, right before it hits the ground. Then he can claim it wasn't his fault.

miatanut
07-02-09, 11:03 PM
Even an idiot as dumb as TG knows that the league is doomed without the track subsidizing it millions from the NASCAR race every year. So he decided to turn over the controls of the plane after sending it into a death spiral, right before it hits the ground. Then he can claim it wasn't his fault.

Exactly!

Tony has always been very good at looking out for Tony.

miatanut
07-02-09, 11:11 PM

oc

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

trish
07-20-09, 05:48 PM
Now Chitwood has resigned from IMS President but will become vice president of business operations.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-speedway-resignation&prov=ap&type=lgns

datachicane
07-20-09, 05:54 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2Yptu8g36aI/SmTnVxGW8hI/AAAAAAAAC3A/MrtvUTBeNxk/s800/nllogo%5B1%5D.gif

pineapple
07-20-09, 06:08 PM
Didn't someone tell the rats that the ship was sitting in dry dock? :shakehead

They all need to be perp walked off the pagoda. :flame:

Duroc
07-20-09, 06:42 PM
Now Chitwood has resigned from IMS President but will become vice president of business operations.

VP business operations for ISC -- the France family track company. I'm surprised they'd hire any of the mopes involved in the Tony George disaster.

Rats from a sinking ship? More like the vultures are circling.

Andrew Longman
07-20-09, 08:17 PM
Reconcile these two statements

Jeff Belskus, the president and chief executive officer of Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp., said in a statement that Chitwood’s departure is a “disappointment.”

He praised Chitwood’s time with the speedway but Belskus said it has not been decided whether Chitwood will be replaced.

"Sorry to see you leave but you added no value we will miss?"

"Sorry to see you leave but those of us who are staying with what's left have to figure how to balance the budget?"

"I'm just being polite"

On another point, how does a screw up like Chitwood wrangle essentially a promotion moving to an organization that actually makes money?