PDA

View Full Version : F1000

stroker
06-26-09, 01:39 PM
Just for fun I was downloading and reviewing the qualifying lap times for the June Sprints. I was stunned to see the D-Sports were qualifying only about six seconds slower than Donohue in the Turbo Panzer in 1973! I forwarded that information to my brother and we started emailing about it. I wondered about how fast the D-Sport Stohr would be without any aero and open wheels. He pointed out that Stohr made an F1000 car so we checked the lap times. Sounds like it's about 6 seconds slower than the full body car, which is still really fast for a 1000cc bike-engined car at a place like RA!

It seems to me like that class should be a real foundation for rebuilding AOW. I would have to believe that class could have hundreds of active participants if it were developed properly. Any thoughts?

pchall
06-26-09, 02:24 PM
Any thoughts?

Unless the tires rip up the asphalt during acceleration and the exhaust noise makes women and children flee and your ears bleed, no.

Easy
06-26-09, 03:40 PM
A full field of FB (F1000) sounds very nice. It is a quickly growing class, mainly strongest in the south east at the moment probably.

Some are expensive for a club racer (Stohr, Ralph Firman, Phoenix all of which are designed specifically for the class) some can be very cheap (Converted F continentals). If they can keep costs contained and get national status it could be a great class for a long time. Good aero, long life engines, big tires and about as fast as you'd ever want to go in a tube frame single seater. If I can ever sit behind the wheel again I will be calling my friends in Alpharetta for a test in their Stohr.