06-25-09, 06:10 PM
WOW!!

trish
06-25-09, 06:15 PM
That's unexpected.

Napoleon
06-25-09, 06:17 PM
Oh and he was only 50.

For whatever else you can say about him he had talent.

G.
06-25-09, 06:19 PM
Confirmed by LA Times.

[Updated at 3:15 p.m.: Pop star Michael Jackson was pronounced dead by doctors this afternoon after arriving at a hospital in a deep coma, city and law enforcement sources told The Times.

:(

Gnam
06-25-09, 06:22 PM
wow.

TKGAngel
06-25-09, 06:23 PM
This is a shocker.

Earlier this week, with the way the media was carrying on, it was expected that Walter Cronkite would be the one passing on.

Gnam
06-25-09, 06:33 PM
It was just pointed out to me that bad things happen in threes:
Ed McMahon -86
Farrah - 62
Michael - 50

That was a quick three.

oddlycalm
06-25-09, 06:36 PM
Seems like if you can make it through your 50's without an cardiac trouble you stand a good chance of living a long time, but a whole lot of folks don't make it out of their 50's alive.

oc

Cam
06-25-09, 06:57 PM
Oh great. Now we get bombarded with all the tribute programs. :irked:

Sean Malone
06-25-09, 06:59 PM

I hope not, but expect it. They'll parade him around like a dead king.

RusH
06-25-09, 07:04 PM
Elvis and Lennon have been mentioned already...be prepared.

Anyhow, RIP.

Methanolandbrats
06-25-09, 07:11 PM
TV off except for racing until after they shoot Jocko into space or whatever the hell they do with him.

Gnam
06-25-09, 07:19 PM
my money's on being mummified and entombed at Luxor in Vegas, or frozen like Walt Disney.

dando
06-25-09, 07:52 PM
:eek:

Wow. Ank has to be devastated. :gomer:

-Kevin

datachicane
06-25-09, 07:57 PM
Cryogenic hyperbaric chamber shaped like Elizabeth Taylor's thighs dropped into a 3D alien volcano by sequined zombie werewolves. You read it here first.

Lux Interior
06-25-09, 08:14 PM
Spicoli has been at the bar crying since he heard the news. :cry:

RusH
06-25-09, 08:39 PM
Spicoli has been at the bar crying since he heard the news. :cry:

Miller High Life?

..and in other news

Shaq Dead
Papa Smurf Dead
Jeff Goldblum Dead

:gomer:

doppelganger
06-25-09, 09:12 PM
Tough crowd here. Like him or not, he had talent. Losing anyone at 50 makes some of us feel older than we should.

FTG
06-25-09, 09:17 PM
Tough crowd here. Like him or not, he had talent. Losing anyone at 50 makes some of us feel older than we should.

I'm always tough on pedophiles. How come you're not?

Mr. Vengeance
06-25-09, 09:35 PM
I hope someone drove a stake through him, just to be sure. Too harsh? Too bad. He should have been tied to a post and shot long, long ago.

If there was any justice in the world the parents that whored out their kids to that piece of **** would be dead, too.

Good riddance.

jcollins28
06-25-09, 09:48 PM
"Michael Jackson's upcoming London date's have been cancelled. They were James (aged 9) and Thomas (aged 11)."

Cam
06-25-09, 09:50 PM
"Michael Jackson's upcoming London date's have been cancelled. They were James (aged 9) and Thomas (aged 11)."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mr. Vengeance
06-25-09, 09:57 PM
How did Michael get in trouble?

He was feeling a little Randy.

pchall
06-25-09, 10:01 PM
I'll miss Farrah more.:\

The guy was a sicko and I thought his music was a blight on pop culture.

Indy
06-25-09, 10:16 PM
No excuses for pedophiles.

Lux Interior
06-25-09, 10:52 PM
He died on his way to K Mart actuallly - he was heading over there because they were having a blue light special where boys pants were half off.

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

He was a weirdo that's for sure, but RIP anyway.

TrueBrit
06-25-09, 11:56 PM
Wow...I am stunned...

Twisted, tormented and talented...sometimes that just goes hand-in-hand...

I hope he finds peace from all of his demons...

That being said.....

What did the woman say to Michael Jackson on the beach? "Excuse me, would you mind getting out of my son?"

Michael Jackson was never more disappointed than when he found out that Boyz II Men was a pop group and not a delivery service...

TrueBrit
06-26-09, 12:34 AM
I'm always tough on pedophiles. How come you're not?

He was found guilty? I must have missed that...:confused:

Napoleon
06-26-09, 06:23 AM
Wow, what a rough crowd. I guess not speaking ill of the dead is out.

Well I might as well join in then.

I heard Michael Jackson is to be cremated and have his ashes spread out into sandboxes, so children can still play with him.

(confession, I stole that from someone else. Here is another one: I heard McDonalds is making sandwich in his honor….the McJackson. A fifty year old piece of meat in between two eight year old buns).

pchall
06-26-09, 06:59 AM
We need a poll. How many here actually own a copy of Thriller?

When I was grad school I thought I was the only guy around who didn't have the disc even though it was probably the biggest request at parties for a year.

Napoleon
06-26-09, 07:43 AM

Or what is the better album, Thriller or Off The Wall.

I have neither.

KLang
06-26-09, 09:08 AM
Can someone please post when it is safe to turn on the news again. I can't take anymore. :yuck:

Never a fan but RIP.

extramundane
06-26-09, 09:26 AM
The local/regional news outlets oughta be happy. They don't have to dwell on that nasty public transit accident that could have been avoided now that they've got some useless celebrity death to slobber over. :shakehead

Sean Malone
06-26-09, 10:09 AM

When I was grad school I thought I was the only guy around who didn't have the disc even though it was probably the biggest request at parties for a year.

Myself a rocker, during his prime, Jackson and his mimicking fans were the antithesis of my tastes in music and lifestyle. Later, as his perverted lifestyle emerged it became even more clear that this guy was a real freak. I'm all for bucking the status quo and I applaud the eccentric, but of all the family and 'keepers' that that guy had, someone should have said "Michael, don't touch the kids".

I can understand and empathize with fans of his music mourning his passing, but I have a real problem with his fans and media putting this guy on a pedestal as some sort of cultural messiah.

Thriller came out when I was in high school during the golden age of MTV. No matter what your musical tastes were, MTV was such a part of our lives at that time that everyone knew every video form every artist and Jackson video's were rotated more than anyone else. That said, my high school was 90% rock oriented (if not more). There was always the occasional girl who would wear a red leather jacket and have a Jackson poster on the inside of her locker but being a fan of Jackson most people never admitted in public.

ChampcarShark
06-26-09, 10:27 AM
RIP.

Wacko's thriller was a good short subject movie. Nice customs. Could not avoid seeing it in MTV.
Never a fan, much less after his encounter with the law.

Not guilty, sometimes means a good lawyer and extra money on the judges.

Lux Interior
06-26-09, 10:34 AM
Never was into Thriller when it was at its height. I was raised on a steady diet of Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, Slayer, and Merciful Fate. Never big into the pop scene.

I do remember that summer of '83 when you turned the radio on and heard one of the songs from thriller - almost contantly it seemed.

Sean Malone
06-26-09, 10:42 AM
I just read that two of his kids are named Prince Michael I and Prince Michael II. :rofl:

EVL29
06-26-09, 12:46 PM
Ed McMahon -86
Farrah - 62
Michael - 50

That was a quick three.

Abe Vigoda will outlive us all.

EVL29
06-26-09, 12:49 PM
He was found guilty? I must have missed that...:confused:

A $30 million payoff is as good as an admission of guilt.

Napoleon
06-26-09, 12:49 PM
By the way, my brother-in-law's high flying finance unit at a major money center bank that is now defunct was approached by Michael Jackson about making a loan to him when he was having money trouble in the late 90's and my brother-in-law was working on that project for a while when they decided not to do the deal with Jackson because with all the allegations and rumors that surrounded him and they were scared of the PR blow back from the public if they became linked with Jackson. Jackson was going to pledge The Beatles catalog as security for the loan. Imagine that. In a car loan if the borrower turns out to be a deadbeat you repo the car and drive it away, but for my brother-in-law he would have been repoing "Drive My Car". You can not imagine how jealous I was of him.

(in the NY Times today they mention that Bank of America ended up doing that deal).

Andrew Longman
06-26-09, 01:15 PM
I do have a Jackson Five greatest hits LP back when the Jackson were Motown, not pop.

I wouldn't soil my record collection with any of Micheal's stuff.

And I never met anyone who liked him so I couldn't understand how he sold 50 million records, but I guess I don't hang with the right crowd.

TKGAngel
06-26-09, 01:23 PM
The local/regional news outlets oughta be happy. They don't have to dwell on that nasty public transit accident that could have been avoided now that they've got some useless celebrity death to slobber over.

He even bumped the debacle that is the NYS Senate coup fallout out of the news headlines. That's saying a lot, considering its been the lead story for 18+ days now.

I just read that two of his kids are named Prince Michael I and Prince Michael II. :rofl:

I feel bad for the kids. According to MJ was the only parent they ever knew and while he "exposed" them to the outside world through trips to museums and theatres after they closed, they've never really had exposure to kids their own age. Just sad.

JLMannin
06-26-09, 01:31 PM
I do have a Jackson Five greatest hits LP back when the Jackson were Motown, not pop.

I wouldn't soil my record collection with any of Micheal's stuff.

And I never met anyone who liked him so I couldn't understand how he sold 50 million records, but I guess I don't hang with the right crowd.

My guess is that the lion's share of that 50,000,000 albums sold was outside the US. I actually liked the Michael Jackson video game that was out for the Sega Genesis system (I din not own it, my friend did). I enjoyed the music videos, but of course, I really did not have the choice. That's all that was played on MTV. Well, not all. There was Culture Club, Drexy's Midnight Runners, and George Michael/WHAM! as well.

When he began the process of altering his physical appearance and began the transition from a black man into a white woman (with a stop-over as Diana Ross look-a-like), I lost interest and wrote him off as a whacko. Then there were the hyperbaric chambers, the pet monkeys, the sleep-overs, and the final culmination of weirdness, Neverland Ranch.

I never owned one of his albums, and as far as I know, neither does anyone else I know.

Kate must be real pissed that this was the week she chose to separate from John.

So will Elvis and Jacko be buds and work in the same BK in Kokomo? :) I'm sure many will deny he is actually dead.

datachicane
06-26-09, 01:34 PM
Ed McMahon -86
Farrah - 62
Michael - 50

That was a quick three.

The threes myth is a classic illustration of confirmation bias.
Whither David Carradine?

ChampcarShark
06-26-09, 01:50 PM

You asked for it...

http://www.miniclip.com/games/michael-jackson-tribute/en/

Gnam
06-26-09, 02:14 PM
The threes myth is a classic illustration of confirmation bias.
Whither David Carradine?
Or...since two other famous people didn't die within days of him, Carradine's death must not have been a bad thing. QED, exactamundo, YMMV. :p

I remember having heated discussions about who was the better dancer:
Michael Jackson or MC Hammer. :gomer:

TravelGal
06-26-09, 02:41 PM
Lose your lunch alert:

Having read all this, I decided to read the TMZ story today. It says staff members started mouth to mouth resusitation while waiting for paramedics to arrive.

OMG.

G.
06-26-09, 03:38 PM
You asked for it...

http://www.miniclip.com/games/michael-jackson-tribute/en/

That's stupid. I was not able to shoot any of them!

OT, a very talented, sick **** (allegedly), who, if you believe some of the people around him, was a walking tragedy.

Never owned any MJ. Ozzie, VH, Nazareth (old school), etc.

miatanut
06-26-09, 03:50 PM
When he began the process of altering his physical appearance and began the transition from a black man into a white woman (with a stop-over as Diana Ross look-a-like), I lost interest and wrote him off as a whacko. Then there were the hyperbaric chambers, the pet monkeys, the sleep-overs, and the final culmination of weirdness, Neverland Ranch.

I admired him as an artist, then all that weird stuff started happening and I no longer found him appealing.

His childhood was stolen from him and he spent his adulthood trying to get it back.

oddlycalm
06-26-09, 05:50 PM
MJ was quite a performer and he and partner Quincy Jones seemed to have pop music wired. Not a pop music fan so it was pretty much lost on me.

My top pick in the ex-Motown/child labor survivor category is Stevie Wonder. The difference IMO is between the two is musician vs performer.

oc

jcollins28
06-26-09, 05:54 PM
NBC has just released the results of his autopsy.

It was NOT cardiac arrest!

Turns out Michael Jackson died of food poisoning after consuming a 12 year old wiener.

mapguy
06-26-09, 06:43 PM

Turns out Michael Jackson died of food poisoning after consuming a 12 year old wiener.

:rofl:

Lux Interior
06-26-09, 06:56 PM

The man is dead, but the hits just keep on coming:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just think of the thousands of jokes to follow this tragic event.

datachicane
06-26-09, 07:35 PM
Once again my fellow Oregonian mirrors my thoughts.

extramundane
06-26-09, 09:03 PM
The man is dead, but the hits just keep on coming:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just think of the thousands of jokes to follow this tragic event.

The real shame of Smack's down-ness is that I can't properly tell the Jacko/V8 juice joke. :( :rofl:

Dvdb
06-26-09, 10:16 PM
cmon....try it out here

Methanolandbrats
06-26-09, 10:41 PM
cmon....try it out here Yes, bring it.

Ankf00
06-26-09, 10:50 PM
I'll miss Farrah more.:\

The guy was a sicko and I thought his music was a blight on pop culture.

his jams have defined pop culture to this day. dance pop, music videos being mini movies which paralleled the ascension of MTV to mainstream america, soul and R&B, eliminating racial barriers within music, "black music" being just music, find one black artist that was THE defining artist of his era before him, ray, little richard, stevie, chuck berry, JB, none dominated the charts like he did, and it was global too, look at the youtube vid of that filipino prison population reenacting thriller, the bollywood version too, go to any douchetastic club/lounge and if thriller or billy jean comes on everyone goes apeshit doesn't matter if it's frat kids, 20's yuppies, late 30's. Hell, he even got Eddie Van Halen to play the riff on Beat It ffs.

if he's a pedo, he'll burn, but he was most certainly a badass with music and entertainment. MJ + Quincy == Beatles + George Martin

I was too young for thriller to define much of anything for me, my youth was full of jacko, molestation charges, lisa marie presley, mr potato head interchangeable noses. B/c after all, at that age, in texas, faggots, freaks, MJ etc. that's fair game, f them, f'ing degenerates, right? Only later in HS did I start realizing "huh, this is pretty f'ing good" despite not listening to any pop. Doesn't matter to me who the guy is/was, or how horrible a person he might have been, I never cared to keep up w/ any headlines of his parenting, scott peterson, anna nicole, liz holloway or any other CNN/Fox News b.s., I have better **** to waste my thoughts on, the antagonists' transgressions have their consequences w/ or w/o my awareness, all that has any substantive effect on my life is his wide influence on music at large, it's there for all to see.

Ankf00
06-26-09, 11:04 PM
oh, and...

http://j.photos.cx/michaeljackson-3a1.jpg

RusH
06-26-09, 11:50 PM
_sarYH0z948

:thumbup::gomer:

datachicane
06-27-09, 12:35 AM
his jams have defined pop culture to this day.

<Looks around, surveying today's pop culture>

And this is a good thing?

This Brubeck/Davis/Hendrix/McLaughlin/Garcia/Neil Young fan says 'No'.

Hell, even Daltrey could play. Daltrey, fer cryin' out loud!

MJ defined a pop culture that can't distinguish between choreography and music. I can't wait to see what happens when the same conflation happens to literature. :yuck:

extramundane
06-27-09, 12:41 AM
MJ + Quincy == Beatles + George Martin

8LW1xPtltis

Ankf00
06-27-09, 12:42 AM

MJ defined a pop culture that can't distinguish between choreography and music. I can't wait to see what happens when the same conflation happens to literature. :yuck:

"get off of my lawn!!"

and "anyone can play guitar" - Yorke

I couldn't get a date with an Indian girl if I wanted to (I don't, they all extra concentrated dose of crazy) b/c I'm supposedly "too white." I jam the Who, Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, current indie rock, etc. I don't go to dance pop or hip hop shoes. I don't even dance, I **** around w/ my Takamine. None of this has any bearing on MJ making some badass jams and influencing music at large after the fact.

Cam
06-27-09, 01:02 AM
"get off of my lawn!!"

I couldn't get a date with an Indian girl if I wanted to (I don't, they all extra concentrated dose of crazy) b/c I'm supposedly "too white." I jam the Who, Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, current indie rock, etc. I don't go to dance pop or hip hop shoes. I don't even dance, I **** around w/ my Takamine. None of this has any bearing on MJ making some badass jams and influencing music at large after the fact.

So you can't find a jai ho? :p

Ankf00
06-27-09, 01:04 AM
ok, i lied, i can break down some jai ho...

G.
06-27-09, 01:17 AM
I heard that since he had such a high percentage of plastic in him that he was going to be melted down and made into Legos so little kids could play with HIM for a change, but I was also told that he was gonna be made into grocery bags so he could remain white, plastic and still be dangerous to children.

Michaelhatesfans
06-27-09, 01:18 AM
Once again my fellow Oregonian mirrors my thoughts.

Yeah, we need to get him on the payroll or something.

:cool:

G.
06-27-09, 01:31 AM
I think it's pretty crass that Entertainment Tonight is showing a picture of the paramedics working on him in the back of the namblalance.

TravelGal
06-27-09, 11:18 AM
I think it's pretty crass that Entertainment Tonight is showing a picture of the paramedics working on him in the back of the namblalance.

I agree but it's all "news" these days. Sad state of affairs. I just got sent supposed pictures taken by someone inside the Air France jet as it broke apart midair. I don't know if they are real but if they aren't, it's an H of a photoshop.

G.
06-27-09, 12:14 PM
I agree but it's all "news" these days. Sad state of affairs. I just got sent supposed pictures taken by someone inside the Air France jet as it broke apart midair. I don't know if they are real but if they aren't, it's an H of a photoshop.
First, my post was just a poor excuse to type "nambla". :shakehead

Second, the pic from Air France are from the show, "Lost".

oddlycalm
06-27-09, 02:54 PM
Weather Channel to Air Retrospective of Weather Conditions During Michael Jackson's Lifetime.

oc

TravelGal
06-27-09, 04:03 PM
G: I just had time to check it out on snopes and came back to correct myself. I'm glad it's a TV show and not the real deal because I agree that it's crass to circulate such things.

datachicane
06-27-09, 07:55 PM
None of this has any bearing on MJ making some badass jams and influencing music at large after the fact.

'Billy Jean' was 26 years ago. Can you actually stomach 'Heal the World' or all the other dreadfulness that followed? That's a long, long time to rest on the laurels of a couple of albums.

Maybe Greg Kihn just needed more choreography. :gomer:

Napoleon
06-28-09, 06:16 AM
In the unfortunate timing department I get my Rolling Stone magazine in the mail yesterday and they have an article entitled "Michael Jacksons's Troubled Comeback" and subtitled "The singer's upcoming 50 concerts will make him rich again - if he holds up". The article is brutal and can be summed up as saying he is such a freak and undependable virtually no one in the music industry thought he would actually hold up his end of the deal on the concerts. So much so that the promoters had a great deal of trouble being able to get any kind of insurance against cancellation, which is interesting since the NY Times mentioned in one of their articles about him that the promoter had not made a claim against their insurance yet and that the outcome of the drug test would determine if they could. When you think about it, his is death came at the absolute worst possible time for the promoter, just days before the first concert so they had sunk the maximum amount of upfront expenses into it, but had not yet earned the first dollar from a concert.

Michaelhatesfans
06-28-09, 12:43 PM

I don't remember Daltrey playing much more than a tambourine, but then again he had that "I'll come out to the 58th row and kick your arse if you're not paying attention" stage presence. You never discredited Daltrey or Plant for not being able to dance.

This week has been helpful to me. I had almost forgotten how much I disliked Michael Jackson and his effect on the music world.:yuck:

datachicane
06-28-09, 01:32 PM
I don't remember Daltrey playing much more than a tambourine, but then again he had that "I'll come out to the 58th row and kick your arse if you're not paying attention" stage presence.

He started out playing lead to Townshend's rhythm. Later He played 'Naked Eye' live, and more on his solo stuff, most of it reasonably well.

Would you be anxious to plug in next to Pete? :saywhat:

Kahauna Dreamer
06-28-09, 01:49 PM
MJ was quite a performer and he and partner Quincy Jones seemed to have pop music wired. Not a pop music fan so it was pretty much lost on me.

My top pick in the ex-Motown/child labor survivor category is Stevie Wonder. The difference IMO is between the two is musician vs performer.

MJ defined a pop culture that can't distinguish between choreography and music. I can't wait to see what happens when the same conflation happens to literature

oddlycalm and data,

I see where you're coming from with this, and you might think this to be too simplistic of a position to take here—but with the human voice being the original musical instrument, I would prefer to break things down to "musician as opposed to non-musician;" eg, either you make music or you do not. I seriously doubt that MJ just 'sang what he was told to sing' or that he did not know his way around a piano or a guitar.

"get off of my lawn!!"

Other than being "brown" as opposed to "too white," I agree with f00 - well, that, and I don't see why you'd consider yourself "too white" for anyone, Indian female or otherwise...I'm just sayin...

Elmo T
06-28-09, 01:53 PM

Right up there with the photo of the mobile data terminal screen from the from of the EMS rig. :saywhat::shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
06-28-09, 02:16 PM
Would you be anxious to plug in next to Pete? :saywhat:

:laugh:

http://blogup.canalblog.com/images/This_Guitar_Has_Seconds_To_Live1.jpg

datachicane
06-28-09, 03:25 PM
oddlycalm and data,

I see where you're coming from with this, and you might think this to be too simplistic of a position to take here—but with the human voice being the original musical instrument, I would prefer to break things down to "musician as opposed to non-musician;" eg, either you make music or you do not. I seriously doubt that MJ just 'sang what he was told to sing' or that he did not know his way around a piano or a guitar.

No doubt. My point is that his (undoubted) vocal talents were completely disproportionate to his impact on the music world. That's where I was going with the lame Greg Kihn reference- that MJ minus intricate choreography and concept videos == forgotten. He was a talented performer, no argument- it's just that his talent wasn't necessarily for music.

Really, have you listened to 'Heal the World'? :yuck:

Kahauna Dreamer
06-28-09, 09:28 PM
No doubt. My point is that his (undoubted) vocal talents were completely disproportionate to his impact on the music world. That's where I was going with the lame Greg Kihn reference- that MJ minus intricate choreography and concept videos == forgotten. He was a talented performer, no argument- it's just that his talent wasn't necessarily for music.

I got'cha. Btw, as a San Francisco native who grew up with KSAN, BAM magazine, Beserkeley Records, etc., I don't think of the Kihn reference as lame at all...as you can see, I am an old fart (turning 40 in November), prolly a lot older than you.

One thing I did agree with you there was the choreography thing. Once MJ had the Thriller vid in heavy rotation, it seemed like overnight, so many videos started looking like the same director kept filming Kenny Ortega-esque aerobics classes, with everyone in costume...still happens now, almost 30 years later.

Ankf00
06-28-09, 09:43 PM

Sinatra said he was a better singer, MJ was pain in the ass particular when it came to sound setup prior to shows and in the studio. If there's any pop star one can't lay the "clueless performer" card on, it's the freak in Santa Barbara County

datachicane
06-29-09, 02:18 AM
I got'cha. Btw, as a San Francisco native who grew up with KSAN, BAM magazine, Beserkeley Records, etc., I don't think of the Kihn reference as lame at all...as you can see, I am an old fart (turning 40 in November), prolly a lot older than you.

Does Kihn still have his show on KSAN? I understand his son isn't bad, but I've never heard him.

I'm old enough to have seen The Who several times as a foursome and the original Little Feat, whippersnapper. :gomer:

Napoleon
06-29-09, 06:55 AM
This article on Jackson is jaw dropping.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196009/Im-better-dead-Im-How-Michael-Jackson-predicted-death-months-ago.html

I'm old enough to have seen The Who several times as a foursome and the original Little Feat, whippersnapper. :gomer:

Wow, you really are an old fart.

dando
06-29-09, 08:44 AM
This article on Jackson is jaw dropping.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196009/Im-better-dead-Im-How-Michael-Jackson-predicted-death-months-ago.html

Yeah, I read that over the weekend. Sounds like he was becoming his own form of the Elephant Man. Of course, I also read accounts from others that said his rehearsal the night before his death went well.

-Kevin

chop456
06-29-09, 08:53 AM
I also read accounts from others that said his rehearsal the night before his death went well.

-Kevin

How hard is dying? You need to rehearse?

Cam
06-29-09, 09:58 AM
This bastard has (had) unlimited money and went thru 13 plus surgeries to placate his vanities and takes a cocktail of drugs. . I have been thru 5 or more because of cancer and I take none.

No sympathy.

Indy
06-29-09, 10:11 AM
^^^ Well, you know, umm, there's Bundy. :D

Hey, shouldn't you be busy fixing something right now. :saywhat:

Don Quixote
06-29-09, 11:58 AM
How hard is dying? You need to rehearse?
:rofl:

Kahauna Dreamer
06-29-09, 12:28 PM
Does Kihn still have his show on KSAN? I understand his son isn't bad, but I've never heard him.

Greg is currently on the air in the morning at KFOX 98.5 in San Jose

You saw Little Feat with Roy Estrada and Lowell George?
Or with Kenny Gradney, Sam Clayton, Paul Barrere and Lowell George??

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

extramundane
06-29-09, 12:41 PM

It still cracks me up that Little Feat grew out of Zappa's band. Crazy world.

Don Quixote
06-29-09, 01:10 PM
It still cracks me up that Little Feat grew out of Zappa's band. Crazy world. Legend has it that Zappa kicked George off the band when he listened to an advanced tape of "willin". Zappa reportedly didn't like the drug references (weed, whites and wine), and told George that it was time to go their separate ways. Has anyone else heard this version of the story?

Kahauna Dreamer
06-29-09, 02:20 PM
Legend has it that Zappa kicked George off the band when he listened to an advanced tape of "willin". Zappa reportedly didn't like the drug references (weed, whites and wine), and told George that it was time to go their separate ways. Has anyone else heard this version of the story?

Yep, I have heard that version, and I have also heard the one where FZ told George that he (LG) "was wasting time (in the MOI) and he should go on his own."

datachicane
06-29-09, 06:11 PM
Or with Kenny Gradney, Sam Clayton, Paul Barrere and Lowell George??

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

George and Gradney.
Estrada was before my time.

trish
06-29-09, 08:18 PM
Jackson's father also used the news conference to plug a record company he said he's founding with a business partner.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/ap_on_en_mu/us_michael_jackson

Classy guy.

oddlycalm
06-29-09, 08:24 PM
Legend has it that Zappa kicked George off the band when he listened to an advanced tape of "willin". Zappa reportedly didn't like the drug references (weed, whites and wine), and told George that it was time to go their separate ways. Has anyone else heard this version of the story?
Unlikely. Falling out over lyrics is a bit amusing considering....;) More likely LG quit due to the relentless work schedule (as many others have before and since).

I didn't see the Mothers perform live while he was in the band but that was the first I was aware of him.

oc

Don Quixote
06-29-09, 10:35 PM
Not saying that this is a reliable source, but I found this on LG's wiki bio. Of course there is no footnote. The way I heard it was that Zappa found out about the song when somebody gave him a tape. Who knows? OC, you may be right. Zappa was a notorious slavedriver, and LG would not be at the top of the list of hard workers. (BTW, I thought this thread was about Michael Jackson) :laugh:

According to George's recollection, he was kicked out of Zappa's group after proposing the song "Willin," ostensibly because the song is about a truck driver that contains references to drug and alcohol use. Zappa was an inflexible opponent of illicit drug use within his presence.

G.
06-29-09, 10:40 PM
(BTW, I thought this thread was about Michael Jackson) :laugh:

Turned into a thread about music.

Zappa was an inflexible opponent of illicit drug use within his presence.

I thought his audience was the definition of illicit drug use.

datachicane
06-29-09, 11:00 PM
Turned into a thread about music.

Ain't that the truth.