PDA

View Full Version : RUMOUR: Grand -AM to buy ALMS

SurfaceUnits
06-25-09, 03:59 PM
so says a motorsport scribe who is blamed by many to have single handedly destroyed AOWR

RusH
06-25-09, 04:50 PM
It better just be hot air from Miller.

Otherwise I`ll have to leave the country every few years just to see real race cars.
We`ll have Earlwagons, CoTs and DPs here to enjoy.

:shakehead

I least the 2 wheel world is not as screwed up.

Lux Interior
06-25-09, 05:01 PM
Boy would that suck. I hope he's wrong.

The economy is making all kids of crazy stuff happen.

Methanolandbrats
06-25-09, 05:02 PM
It better just be hot air from Miller.

Otherwise I`ll have to leave the country every few years just to see real race cars.
We`ll have Earlwagons, CoTs and DPs here to enjoy.

:shakehead

:mad: :yuck: If this is true, nothing left but LeMans, so ya better go next year before that get's ****ed up too.

Gnam
06-25-09, 05:33 PM
That merger would result in one fugly baby. http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5253/scruble2iw9.png

It would be bad news for Atlantics too...although they have raced together in the past.

cameraman
06-25-09, 06:30 PM
Bad news for several tracks that would lose another one of their weekends.

Lux Interior
06-25-09, 07:20 PM
If this is true, I hope that NASCAR wises up and allows the road racing cars to be faster then the cup cars. Right now, I think the grand am cars are slower than the trucks. If they keep the same low-horsepower formula I will be disappointed. The racing is decent in grand am, but I'd really like some more horsepower.

FTG
06-25-09, 07:31 PM
Don is getting old. No coincidence that Champ Car hung on as long as Newman did. If the kids want $$$, who else is there to sell too?

SurfaceUnits
06-25-09, 09:05 PM
ALMS: Audi eyes return in 2010, updates product plans for U.S.

Acura shouldn’t get too comfortable in the top class of the American Le Mans Series. Audi may be back full-time--perhaps as soon as 2010.

The juggernaut that won the LMP1 class championship nine straight years since 2000, and seven of last season’s 11 races, could return as soon as next season if it is financially and economically feasible, Johan de Nysschen, Audi of America president, told AutoWeek.

De Nysschen said the company “would like to” return to the ALMS. But Audi faces challenges in a down economy that has hurt nearly every other automaker in some way. Still, it is keeping its core racing crew around with an eye toward a potential return.

“The intention is to come back,” de Nysschen said. “We’re keeping the team active still.”

The company says its business is growing despite the industry’s troubles and that Audi is gaining market share in a down economy--set against the backdrop of the company’s centennial celebration.

To reinforce this, Audi will launch seven models this year: the A6, the Q5 3.2 Quattro, the Q7 TDI, the S4, the S5, the A5 and the A3 TDI.

The two TDI diesels are Audi’s first in the United States, and the A4, a volume seller, could be next, de Nysschen said. The powerplant also would fit in the A6, the A8 and the Q5.

Audi also is looking to raise its profile, after a splashy Super Bowl advertisement and heavy ads broadcast via television, the Web and print during President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Audi’s showroom traffic is up 8.4 percent this year, with Internet leads up 67 percent, propelling market share to 7.8 percent at the end of March. The company also notched a 13th straight year of profits in 2008.

pchall
06-25-09, 09:09 PM
The racing is decent in grand am, but I'd really like some more horsepower.

200+ more ponies in back, losing the dorky greenhouses, and a major diet could cure a lot. But would the France Family Mafia ever be smart enough to recognize the value of real racing? They are the kings of slowly rolling billboards.

miatanut
06-25-09, 09:13 PM
If this is true, I hope that NASCAR wises up and allows the road racing cars to be faster then the cup cars. Right now, I think the grand am cars are slower than the trucks. If they keep the same low-horsepower formula I will be disappointed. The racing is decent in grand am, but I'd really like some more horsepower.

Somebody made this accusation, but I'd like to see some evidence.

Looking at Montreal last year, the fastest DP race lap was 1:34.152. The NASCAR second stringers (Nationwide?) got rained on in their race, but their pole was Scott Pruett at 1:42.568.

Any other places where they both run the same track?

miatanut
06-25-09, 09:14 PM
200+ more ponies in back, losing the dorky greenhouses, and a major diet could cure a lot. But would the France Family Mafia ever be smart enough to recognize the value of real racing? They are the kings of slowly rolling billboards.

They've got enough torque to be tail-happy. The gigantic greenhouses need to go though. :yuck:

NismoZ
06-25-09, 10:04 PM
Check the Mexico City times.

Indy
06-25-09, 10:13 PM
**** NASCAR now and forever. If sports cars are dead in the US, so be it.

I have heard it said this year that ALMS is on its last legs. Maybe selling is all they can do.

miatanut
06-25-09, 10:24 PM
Check the Mexico City times.

DP pole: 1:19.508
DP best lap: 1:20.736

Nationwide pole: 1:28.805

**** NASCAR now and forever. If sports cars are dead in the US, so be it.

I think the IRL is going to continue its death spiral and the Daytona Mafia will be the ones picking up the pieces, and at that point they will control all professional closed course racing in the US.

Then it would be a good time for the Commissioner idea.

Lux Interior
06-25-09, 10:50 PM
I fully expect the France family to own the Indianapolis Motor Speedway one day. The 500 will be a NASCAR race.

Just a bad time for racing. :shakehead

SteveH
06-26-09, 05:06 PM
According to the bear (http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2009/06/25/129-the-big-one-underwear-green-parks-rules-and-classes/) something is going on, but what?

High Sided
06-26-09, 05:31 PM
I fully expect the France family to own the Indianapolis Motor Speedway one day. The 500 will be a NASCAR race.

Just a bad time for racing. :shakehead

nascar will own the track, the new nascar open wheel division, and will have 36 races with 33 cars entered in every one :saywhat:

extramundane
06-26-09, 06:35 PM
According to the bear (http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2009/06/25/129-the-big-one-underwear-green-parks-rules-and-classes/) something is going on, but what?

I wouldn't buy into much of what he says. I mean, he paid me a compliment on the ALMS forum the other day, so he's clearly off his rocker. :D

NismoZ
06-27-09, 05:34 PM
Well, that's it then? Looks like the Kohler International Challenge (with Brian Redman) may be my ONLY race weekend next season! My, how things have changed.:(

pchall
06-28-09, 12:48 PM
Well, that's it then? Looks like the Kohler International Challenge (with Brian Redman) may be my ONLY race weekend next season! My, how things have changed.:(

I might be down to just going to whatever vintage event I can find that works with my 10 year old's summer vacation with me. If I go to Germany there might be a DTM/German F3 event I can get to like the one at the Lausitzring I made a long, long day trip from Berlin to see a couple of years ago.

mueber
06-29-09, 08:30 AM
Giggle: http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2009/06/28/petit-daytona-and-lessons-from-iran/#more-453

"The transition from ALMS to Grand-Am should be relatively painless for ALMS fans. Other than the NASCAR loyalty oath, a ban on all technology developed in the last 20 years, and mystery debris yellow flags, they probably won’t notice anything different other than bigger fields of Porsche Cup cars and those beautiful DPs!"

oddlycalm
06-29-09, 01:41 PM

Wish that were true. While the FIM run international events continue as before here on the island the the AMA sold it's sole to the Daytona mafia. First (and last) time I watched one of their watered down Daytona Supersport races with a rolling f'ing start I threw up a little in my mouth. :yuck:

oc

RusH
07-01-09, 09:29 PM
Would you like to see the Series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

http://americanlemans.com/index_paddock.php

It`s the new poll on the upper right, vote early, vote often. ;)

What are they implying?..anyway

RusH
07-01-09, 09:33 PM
Wish that were true. While the FIM run international events continue as before here on the island the the AMA sold it's sole to the Daytona mafia. First (and last) time I watched one of their watered down Daytona Supersport races with a rolling f'ing start I threw up a little in my mouth. :yuck:

oc

Yeah, I was mainly talking FIM. DMG is Satan.

SteveH
07-01-09, 11:15 PM
What are they implying?..anyway

Let's hope a 6 hour race to be held on a late Sat. afternoon in the fall of 2010.

Steve99
07-02-09, 12:17 AM
Let's hope a 6 hour race to be held on a late Sat. afternoon in the fall of 2010.

How about a 500 minute race in late May?

SteveH
07-02-09, 10:51 AM

I need to amend this as the above is nearly a definition of the Petit. You're right agent 99, make it May. :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
07-03-09, 05:52 PM
Shocking news at a clandestine meeting.
July 3rd, 2009

Murphy called his friend A.C. “I’m hearing some interesting stuff. Can we talk?”

“So am I, buddy, so am I. Sure. But not over the phone.

http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2009/07/03/130-shocking-news-at-a-clandestine-meeting/

Gnam
07-03-09, 06:46 PM
Does being a media insider make you goofy, or do you have to be goofy to become a media insider? :saywhat:

“But A.C., no one goes to Grand Am races,” exclaimed the Bear.

“So what?” responded A.C. “They will when that’s all there is, won’t they?”

How'd that work out for the IRL? :shakehead

SurfaceUnits
07-03-09, 10:23 PM
how many crapotypes go to LeMans every year

jeff foxworthy racing league:gomer::gomer::gomer::gomer::gomer::gomer::g omer::gomer:

FCYTravis
07-04-09, 12:38 AM
How many full-time ALMS LMPs go to Le Mans every year, not counting the Audi factory?

Three in 2005, two in 2006, zero in 2007, one in 2008, zero in 2009.

American teams are simply not that interested in spending millions of dollars to run at Le Mans, no matter how much you want to hype it up. They don't care.

It should be patently obvious by now that it does not work to build an American sports car racing series around one race a year held 3,000 miles away across an ocean.

I'm not saying the DP is the answer. But it's been proven that the LMP is not the answer.

opinionated ow
07-04-09, 03:24 AM
How many full-time ALMS LMPs go to Le Mans every year, not counting the Audi factory?

Three in 2005, two in 2006, zero in 2007, one in 2008, zero in 2009.

American teams are simply not that interested in spending millions of dollars to run at Le Mans, no matter how much you want to hype it up. They don't care.

It should be patently obvious by now that it does not work to build an American sports car racing series around one race a year held 3,000 miles away across an ocean.

I'm not saying the DP is the answer. But it's been proven that the LMP is not the answer.

Come on mate...that's hardly an unbiased comment. It makes a lot of sense to go the LMP route because it is a standardised international set of regulations. Makes a lot more sense than making up your own rules because you feel like it....

FCYTravis
07-04-09, 05:15 AM
It makes a lot of sense to go the LMP route because it is a standardised international set of regulations. Makes a lot more sense than making up your own rules because you feel like it....

Americans "making up our own rules" gave us one of the continent's two great eras of sports prototype racing: IMSA GTP.

The other, Can-Am (FIA Group 7) was never popular outside the United States and Canada.

The United States is a unique market. What works in the rest of the world doesn't always work here - and vice versa.

In Australia, you take universal health care for granted - here, it's still a Commie plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. Why is it so hard to believe that we aren't interested in having a bunch of French guys who care about exactly one race a year write the rulebook for our sports cars?

SurfaceUnits
07-04-09, 07:41 AM
egspecialy ones who won't say boogity freaking boogity

now if you will excuse me, I have some foie gras waiting for me

Indy
07-04-09, 10:31 AM
Jeebus, Travis, you know what the problem is. It's not the independence. It's the Frances and their hilljack monopoly of lowest common denominator racing.

I will take the country over the family, thank you very much.

RusH
07-04-09, 11:21 AM
If the France family took over track & field the runners would need to get a good running start.:gomer:

:AMAHATE:

pchall
07-05-09, 11:27 AM

I've been saying that about ALMS from the beginning. Its just the same mistake as kowtowing to IMS done on an international scale.

My idea of a sports car weekend is a GT enduro late Saturday afternoon and a big banger sports racer sprint race on Sunday.

cameraman
07-05-09, 12:21 PM
I've been saying that about ALMS from the beginning. Its just the same mistake as kowtowing to IMS done on an international scale.

My idea of a sports car weekend is a GT enduro late Saturday afternoon and a big banger sports racer sprint race on Sunday.

Do you really think that Porsche, Acura, Audi & Peugeot would spend the coin to develop two different specifications for LMP1/2 cars? No way in hell. Either you match the LMS spec or you race prototurtles.

FCYTravis
07-05-09, 02:56 PM
Do you really think that Porsche, Acura, Audi & Peugeot would spend the coin to develop two different specifications for LMP1/2 cars? No way in hell.

Why would Acura care? They've never raced Le Mans and don't seem interested in doing so.

Why do you care about Peugeot? They don't care about us - they show up once a year and then run back to France.

Either you match the LMS spec or you race prototurtles

...and American team owners have voted with their checkbooks as to which one they'd rather pay for.

You guys don't like the DP. I'd agree it's imperfect. But given the choice between LMP and DP, American prototype teams have overwhelmingly chosen the DP. The LMP does not work in the American market. Maybe it's time to look for something else?

NismoZ
07-05-09, 03:00 PM
pchall, you old fart, that's EXACTLY the way it should be!:rofl: I say, in the spirit of compromise:gomer: we just enhance the prototurtles a little, save a bundle, improve performance somewhat... and Trav's tale on this is a lot less biased than it is correct! The worst thing that could happen is if we continue with crapos as usual and 23 car endurance races. I'm for a better deal for both. How likely is THAT happening!?

cameraman
07-05-09, 03:33 PM
If the ALMS goes away you will have the LMS in Europe and in a year or so the US will have the Grand Am Prototurtle Of Tomorrow as the "premier" road racing car.

FCYTravis
07-05-09, 04:14 PM
If the ALMS goes away you will have the LMS in Europe and in a year or so the US will have the Grand Am Prototurtle Of Tomorrow as the "premier" road racing car.

Well, if you want IMSA not to go away, you need to give it a prototype specification that is attractive to American team owners. That, judging by the car counts, is not the LMP.

SurfaceUnits
07-05-09, 04:34 PM
Travis, what was your first clue you had more in common with the folks from Pigeon Holler than from Europe where your families came from

miatanut
07-05-09, 08:59 PM
Do you really think that Porsche, Acura, Audi & Peugeot would spend the coin to develop two different specifications for LMP1/2 cars? No way in hell. Either you match the LMS spec or you race prototurtles.

That's precisely what happened in the '80's. Bishop didn't like the fuel conservation formula so he did his own thing and eventually the Europeans made their spec. compatible with IMSA's spec.

opinionated ow
07-05-09, 10:19 PM
Well, if you want IMSA not to go away, you need to give it a prototype specification that is attractive to American team owners. That, judging by the car counts, is not the LMP.

Dude...the last two or three Grandam races I could bring myself to watch had maybe a dozen crapotypes. GARRA isn't exactly in rude health itself. All racing is suffering atm-especially in the USA. USAC National Sprintcar Series only had 15 cars at their last two rounds!

pchall
07-05-09, 11:28 PM
pchall, you old fart, that's EXACTLY the way it should be!:rofl: I say, in the spirit of compromise:gomer: we just enhance the prototurtles a little, save a bundle, improve performance somewhat... and Trav's tale on this is a lot less biased than it is correct! The worst thing that could happen is if we continue with crapos as usual and 23 car endurance races. I'm for a better deal for both. How likely is THAT happening!?

The prototurtles would need major steroids, lots of cosmetic surgery, and a great weight loss plan. Not to mention a divorce from Brian France.

cameraman
07-06-09, 01:35 AM
The prototurtles would need major steroids, lots of cosmetic surgery, and a great weight loss plan. Not to mention a divorce from Brian France.

Exactly what won't happen if the Frances have no competition and can run road racing the NASCAR way.

cameraman
07-06-09, 01:45 AM
That's precisely what happened in the '80's. Bishop didn't like the fuel conservation formula so he did his own thing and eventually the Europeans made their spec. compatible with IMSA's spec.

So what? We are not talking about Bill France helping out John Bishop.
What is Brian France going to do?

You know the second generation guy just like Tony George.

FCYTravis
07-06-09, 02:19 AM
Dude...the last two or three Grandam races I could bring myself to watch had maybe a dozen crapotypes.

The lowest DP count of the season was 14 at New Jersey. All other races have had at least 16.

The highest P1/P2 count of the season (not counting Sebring) was 8 at Utah.

The two LMP classes combined have averaged half the numbers attracted by the single DP class.

pchall
07-06-09, 07:28 AM

Frankly, I could do without Porsche, Audi, and Peugeot in my ideal big banger sports racer series. I don't want the apron chains of the ACO tied to the series in any way and I certainly don't want factory teams involved if they have their eyes on a prize 3000 miles away.

miatanut
07-06-09, 02:04 PM
So what? We are not talking about Bill France helping out John Bishop.
What is Brian France going to do?

:confused:

You said:

Nothing about what the Frances would or wouldn't do.

The European manufacturers have done separate cars in the past, and it could happen again. Do I think it is likely now? No. The Prototurtle formula doesn't have enough appeal to them, although there are some Prototurtle chassis with European connections currently.

Trevor Longman
07-06-09, 05:55 PM
All of you make valid points but anyone who saw the racing last year would have to admit that it was fantastic. I mean, here's a rundown of the season. All of these had fantastic finishes.

Sebring: LMP2 Penske Porsche wins and out does the heavily favored diesels of Audi and Puegeot.

St. Petersburg: Audi passes #7 Porsche for the lead with 5 minutes left.

Long Beach: Acura wins its class with a bump and run in the final 5 minutes. GT2 top 3 all finish within .150 of a second.

Salt Lake City: OK this wasnt the best race but as with all ALMS races, the multi-class aspect still made it interesting.

Lime Rock: Pass for the overall lead on the second to last lap causing the penske porsche to spin into the grass. Acuras 1st overall win.

Mid-Ohio: Brabham charges through the field to culminating in a thrilling battle in the last 10 minutes.

Road America: LMP2 leader puts his in the gravel with 15 minutes left. Green/White/Checkered finish with a 3 wide pass for the lead in GT2 on the final lap.

Mosport: De Ferran Acura runs out of fuel from the lead on the final lap to give Brabham the win.

Detroit: Green/White/Checkered finish with a battle for the overall win with AGR acura and Patron Acura

Petit Le Mans: Audi starts in paddock 2 laps down. Comes back to take lead in final hour from Peugeot.

Laguna Seca: Fantastic battle between Kanaan and Pagenaud for final 30 minutes culminating in a side by side finish across the line to determine the winner of LMP2.

All of these races were fantastic all the way through. Also, just look at the list of tracks they go to. It would be a shame for tracks like Lime Rock and Mosport if they merged because for both of those tracks, that's just about the only big event they have all year...

FCYTravis
07-06-09, 06:04 PM
No, Brian France is the third generation.

Bill France, Sr.
Bill France, Jr.
Brian France

But so is Tony George.

Anton Hulman
Mari Hulman George
Anton "Tony" Hulman George

Not sure what that proves, but there it is.

Methanolandbrats
07-06-09, 06:14 PM

Bill France, Sr.
Bill France, Jr.
Brian France

But so is Tony George.

Anton Hulman
Mari Hulman George
Anton "Tony" Hulman George Seems when the new drippings grow up they are dumber than the previous, imagine how stupid generation four will be.

Gnam
07-06-09, 06:39 PM
Hey der! :thumbup:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/866/edcarpenterj.jpg

opinionated ow
07-06-09, 08:35 PM

Bill France, Sr.
Bill France, Jr.
Brian France

But so is Tony George.

Anton Hulman
Mari Hulman George
Anton "Tony" Hulman George

Not sure what that proves, but there it is.

Inbreeding doesn't work.

Indy
07-06-09, 11:03 PM
Hey der! :thumbup:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/866/edcarpenterj.jpg

Nah, he's the smart one, cuz he ain't related.

I have said this before, and this goes against my libertarian beliefs in general, but Tony George has single handedly convinced me of the wisdom of the death tax.

SurfaceUnits
07-09-09, 10:56 PM
Braselton says “No!”

The Bear’s rumor reporting has found its way to Braselton’s “official channels.” The head of communications “categorically” told the Bear that “the ALMS is not for sale and no negotiations in that vane have occurred with anyone.” The last such denial from Georgia had to do with IMSA/Champ Car talks in August 2007.

Everything on this story has been coming from Grand Am sources – nothing at all (until now) from the ALMS camp.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/pruett-7-questions-with-scott-atherton/

FCYTravis
07-10-09, 02:56 AM
Sure, and Champ Car was a go for the 2008 season... right up until it wasn't.

SurfaceUnits
07-10-09, 09:22 AM
Sure, and Champ Car was a go for the 2008 season... right up until it wasn't.

75% of the grand sham teams receive direct monetary support from the daytona mafia. are you getting your share?

FCYTravis
07-10-09, 04:41 PM
Just pointing out that you can't always believe what series principals tell you. The IMS board had full confidence in Tony George, remember?

I haven't worked in the series since December '07, FWIW.

SurfaceUnits
07-13-09, 09:43 PM
ALMS: Corvette Offically Entered For Mid-Ohio
Written by: ALMS Communications http://www.americanlemans.com
07/13/2009 - 01:46 PM
Braselton

The Acura Sports Car Challenge will officially mark the start of a new era in Corvette Racing with two new Corvette C6.R entries set to debut in the American Le Mans Series’ annual visit to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Wearing the familiar Nos. 3 and 4, cellulosic E85-fueled, V8-powered Corvettes will go head-to-head with Ferrari, Porsche, Panoz, BMW, Ford and Dodge among others throughout the second half of the 2009 season.

Johnny O’Connell and Jan Magnussen will drive one Corvette C6.R at Mid-Ohio with Olivier Beretta and Oliver Gavin in the other. The team is transitioning to GT2 from GT1 where Magnussen, O’Connell and Antonio Garcia won in class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and gave Corvette Racing its sixth victory in the world’s greatest race since 2001.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-corvette-offically-entered-for-mid-ohio/alms-corvette-offically-entered-for-mid-ohio

NismoZ
07-14-09, 08:17 AM
So, who's gonna win GT-1?:gomer:

FCYTravis
07-15-09, 12:15 AM
Paging Carsport America...

manic mechanic
07-15-09, 02:08 AM

Easy to do... Just eliminate the "restricted prototype" oxymoron while opening it up to chassis manufacturers who aren't on GARRA's "approved" list (providing that their product meets "initial" specifications).

Create a "spending cap" for manufacturer involvement and allow team engineers to develop the hardware independently within their proposed budgets, monitor said budgets STRINGENTLY, then make the sharing of learned technology mandatory as well.

That would make the cars even, yet faster than a Star Mazda at most tracks.

It would also bring out the best in ProtoTurtle drivers by forcing them to deal with modern technology (remember the Porsche 956?) and the increased HP that said technology brings with it.

Oh yeah... and BAN "driver aids" (TC, stability control, obscenely large diffusers, etc.) that make smaller talent seem larger. :thumbup:

JMHO...

manic

RusH
07-15-09, 07:36 PM
ALMS: Corvette Offically Entered For Mid-Ohio
Written by: ALMS Communications http://www.americanlemans.com
07/13/2009 - 01:46 PM
Braselton

The Acura Sports Car Challenge will officially mark the start of a new era in Corvette Racing with two new Corvette C6.R entries set to debut in the American Le Mans Series’ annual visit to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Wearing the familiar Nos. 3 and 4, cellulosic E85-fueled, V8-powered Corvettes will go head-to-head with Ferrari, Porsche, Panoz, BMW, Ford and Dodge among others throughout the second half of the 2009 season.

Johnny O’Connell and Jan Magnussen will drive one Corvette C6.R at Mid-Ohio with Olivier Beretta and Oliver Gavin in the other. The team is transitioning to GT2 from GT1 where Magnussen, O’Connell and Antonio Garcia won in class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and gave Corvette Racing its sixth victory in the world’s greatest race since 2001.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-corvette-offically-entered-for-mid-ohio/alms-corvette-offically-entered-for-mid-ohio

I`d have no problem with a full field of GT2 cars.
Right now the LMP`s are a distraction to some good racing going on in the back.
Since the ACO has no problem with a missing class, the ALMS should focus on GT racing (except Sebring/Petit) until the economy improves. That, better than selling out to Daytona.

Nobody wants to see 2 cars in a class.

SurfaceUnits
07-16-09, 08:04 PM
Contingency plans for '10

ALMS considers class revamp

The American Le Mans Series is heading for a reorganization that could result in a two-class structure for next season, series boss Scott Atherton has revealed.

In an interview in this week’s AUTOSPORT magazine, Atherton said that the sanctioning body has “plans in the works” designed to ensure the survival of a series that has been hit by the economic downturn. He explained that there are several options, and refused to deny that the ALMS could run with just one prototype and one GT class next year.

“We’ve been working on our 2010 plans for months, and we have several different options that take into account different circumstances,” said Atherton. “It’s a case of if this happens, we do this, and if that happens, we do that.”

As for the prospect of a single prototype class, Atherton said, “We at the ALMS have been outspoken in our interest in that, but we understand why there are two classes. At the Le Mans 24 Hours it makes perfect sense.”

After an exceptional 2008 season in which Audi, Acura and Porsche battled for outright victories, ALMS grids dwindled this year following Audi’s decision not to contest the championship and Porsche deciding not to renew its LMP2 project behind its initially planned three-year duration. With the ALMS now falling into line with Le Mans with the restrictions it placed on LMP2 performance, only the two LMP1 Acuras have been in contention for race wins at most rounds this year.

The GT classes have also been hit with some teams pulling out and GT1 disappearing altogether as Corvette prepared to switch to GT2, although conversely this has boosted the latter class, which had already benefited from the return of BMW this year.

nissan gtp
07-16-09, 09:17 PM
^makes sense -- there is no GT1 anymore, and P1 is hurting unless Audi and/or Peugeot run next year

Gnam
07-16-09, 11:35 PM
aye, better to race GT2 and maintain quality, than race in an empty class or in a prototype made from used scaffolding.