PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Weather Thread

chop456
05-30-03, 08:55 AM
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USWI0455
Hourly Forecast

As of 7:53AM CST, it shows a clearing by 3pm.

http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_ord_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg

oddlycalm
05-30-03, 01:04 PM
Wow, looks real iffy. With showers it's just a roll of the dice. CART could really use a strong event, hope there isn't a rain out.

oc

Hardpoint
05-30-03, 01:18 PM
Is the rain date set for Sunday afternoon or evening?

Kate
05-31-03, 07:03 AM
One more reason we really need to get rid of ovals. Or build them in deserts or something.

Ziggy
05-31-03, 09:09 AM
I thought runnig a diversity of tracks is what made CART great? I also thought that the Formula One series had a lock on roadracing in Europe? (it has always been the pinnacle in my book)with a win of the CART Championship better than a second place in the World Drivers Championship.

Dont oval races add to this diversity? Is'nt running on ovals a direct link to America's heritage? Dont you find oval races exciting, requiring large doses of courage and skill? Huh? I hope to "get it" one day...

Ziggy

PS - bare with my folks, I got a new machine and cant figure out the spell check. Im back to full blown Ziggy spelling!

WickerBill
05-31-03, 09:19 AM
Ovals are indeed necessary to distinguish ChampCar from any other circuit. Right now, CC is a mirror of NASCAR -- mostly roads with a couple of ovals. I'd like to see it back to where about 25-30% of the circuits are ovals. Those who can't stand ovals have other options -- I have no idea why they'd follow ChampCar to begin with. ChampCar is diversity; if it goes away, so does the essence of what CART is.

Railbird
05-31-03, 09:48 AM
Weather report live from Port Washington....

I'm sitting in my room watching the waves break over the sea wall. The skys are grey with temps in the mid forties but hey, at least it's stopped raining.

Indy pole day was positively balmy compared to this nonsense.

On the plus side the cheeseheads are loading up their boats for some kind of adventure out on the lake.

Long underwear will be required tonight.

I wonder if they will give the boys a few extra pace laps tonight just to make sure there is at least some warmth in the tires? Let's hope this afternoon's warmup offers a preview of the conditions for the rookies.

racer2c
05-31-03, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill
Ovals are indeed necessary to distinguish ChampCar from any other circuit. Right now, CC is a mirror of NASCAR -- mostly roads with a couple of ovals. I'd like to see it back to where about 25-30% of the circuits are ovals. Those who can't stand ovals have other options -- I have no idea why they'd follow ChampCar to begin with. ChampCar is diversity; if it goes away, so does the essence of what CART is.

Here here!

ChrisB
05-31-03, 11:21 AM
Getting offtopic.. I like having a few ovals too, but it's plainly obvious that National Championship racing is going to be mostly on road/street for the time being... just as it was mostly on public roads, then board tracks, then dirt/paved ovals for periods in the past. I just wish they'd get away from having a car that still bears remnants of being built for the Indy 500, and one more biased toward road/street racing (lighter weight, shorter wheelbase, more power, bigger tires, etc) because that's what Champ racing is mostly gonna be for now!

Back on topic... how's the forecast look about now? And is the rain date for Sunday afternoon or evening?

Ziggy
05-31-03, 11:55 AM
FYI, the first Vanderbuilt Cup and Santa Monica road race was on an oval, a big oval, but four corners none the less

Ziggy

Railbird
06-01-03, 01:29 AM
Post race weather report:

It's still freaking cold.

That was the coldest championship race I've ever attended.

On the diversity question, if CART is going to continue to exist it needs the ovals to keep any connection to it's past.

Gurneyflap
06-02-03, 07:05 PM
Ahhh...'bill, 'bird and 'flap...I see we have more in common than age. We are also most perceptive and intelligent! Roads, streets, big AND small ovals...not TOO many of ANY. I used to cry "no more ovals", then I had to shout "Just say NO to a City Racing League," now it's "Don't dump the ovals"...retain a balanced diversity that forces the most versitle (read, BEST) teams and drivers to the forefront! A TRUE championship!

Railbird
06-02-03, 07:30 PM
I grew up in a time and place, Indy '65 to '70, that you could see the National Championship contended on a big speedway, a dirt mile, and a roadcourse, all within a few miles of my home.

Maybe that's what's wrong with me

pchall
06-02-03, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
FYI, the first Vanderbuilt Cup and Santa Monica road race was on an oval, a big oval, but four corners none the less

Ziggy

Does this mean Rheims/Reims was the French Pocono and host to many memorable GPs? ;)

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/reims.jpg

Santa Monica

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/monica1.jpg

Long Island -- Vanderbilt Cup

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/island1.jpg

RaceGrrl
06-02-03, 09:56 PM
I loved geometry in the ninth grade and I can tell the difference between an oval and an irregular line with connected end points!

chop456
06-02-03, 10:22 PM
Death curve? DEATH CURVE?

pchall
06-02-03, 10:28 PM
Yes, Death Curve.

Remember the famous picture of a car on it's side on a curve on old road course?
That's it. BTW, both driver and mechanic walked away from that one in 1914.

http://www.deepthrottle.com/images/marquis.jpg

chop456
06-02-03, 10:53 PM
I've never heard of the death curve (except for Jan & Dean) ;) , or seen that photo before. Cool stuff!

Lizzerd
06-03-03, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Railbird
I grew up in a time and place, Indy '65 to '70, that you could see the National Championship contended on a big speedway, a dirt mile, and a roadcourse, all within a few miles of my home.

Maybe that's what's wrong with me

No, 'bird, that's what's right with you. It's also why I love reading your posts here and everywhere else I see them.

[edit] I thought this was a thread about the weather. MODERATOR!!!!!

Warlock!
06-03-03, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
I thought this was a thread about the weather. MODERATOR!!!!!
It's 54 degrees F and raining in Napoleon, Ohio.

Obviously the car in that pic is made of styrofoam. You can tell because if it had been made of anything more dense the driver wouldn't be expecting that spindley little arm of his to hold a real car from flipping over on the DEATH CURVE!!!

Warlock!

Treeface
06-03-03, 11:00 PM
Driver Lewis Jackson and 3 spectators.