PDA

View Full Version : The Split Ends Before It Begins

Indy
06-24-09, 08:56 AM
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5398764,00.html

The threat of a Formula One breakaway series has been averted after agreement was on Wednesday reached between motor sport's world governing body, the FIA, and the Formula One Teams' Association.

Sean Malone
06-24-09, 08:58 AM
Bye bye Max. :yuck:

pchall
06-24-09, 09:07 AM
Bye bye Max. :yuck:

One small step for F1. One large step for Bernie keeping his status.

I suppose Bernie values F1 as his personal ATM (even with a reduced withdrawal limit) more than he values Max. :p

opinionated ow
06-24-09, 10:09 AM
Damnation! Bernie is as much of a problem as Max!

Sean Malone
06-24-09, 10:14 AM
Damnation! Bernie is as much of a problem as Max!

The guy is almost 80.

Methanolandbrats
06-24-09, 10:15 AM
Grate! This can only mean Bernie will ring the cash register with more s***** street races/Tilke tracks/night spectacles/evening monsoon yellow flag specials.....:yuck:

Sean Malone
06-24-09, 10:37 AM
Grate! This can only mean Bernie will ring the cash register with more s***** street races/Tilke tracks/night spectacles/evening monsoon yellow flag specials.....:yuck:

The split was a much better solution. Now I have to cancel my FOTA (or whatever they would have called themselves) t-shirt orders and my pre-ordered Road America tickets (the lady on the phone kept telling me that no race series called FOTA was scheduled for '10 but I insisted she take my money because I know that they would have added RA!! I read it on the internets.):mad:

Does this mean Windsor isn't bringing Daninickles to F1? :cry:

mueber
06-24-09, 10:47 AM
For the first time in the last decade and a half, reason has prevailed in an auto racing series I like. I never thought it could happen.

opinionated ow
06-24-09, 10:52 AM
The guy is almost 80.

Maybe...but he's not dead!

Napoleon
06-24-09, 12:17 PM
Too bad, I was looking forward to the newest split.

G.
06-24-09, 12:24 PM
Too bad, I was looking forward to the newest split.

I had my business plan all mapped out to transcend regular fandom. :(

So Max called their bluff by threatening to run for re-election. I guess that's the "Mindy" that we all were wondering about. (anti-Mindy?)

opinionated ow
06-24-09, 12:35 PM
The split may have ended according to Max...but until I read something from FOTA I'm not believing it. Max wasn't going to stand for re-election last time...look what we got instead. more max.

indyfan31
06-24-09, 01:01 PM
FOTA teams call off breakaway series (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76498)

Andrew Longman
06-24-09, 01:10 PM
Well, by comparison the schedule will suck, but Max is gone. Bernie is still there, Compromise sucks but this is probably the best answer.

NismoZ
06-24-09, 01:16 PM
Dud.

oddlycalm
06-24-09, 02:17 PM
Should be interesting to see if it was the WMSC yanking it's support for Max that did him in along with his new rules. Hope this means that KERS is dead and buried as well. No word (yet) if they got more money out of Bernie.

The problem of Bernie and his $40 million race fee remains, and in this economic climate that may be enough to kill the sport all on it's own. Getting rid of Max was only half the battle IMO.

oc

Andrew Longman
06-24-09, 03:54 PM
I think the key is who really caved.

This certainly could have gotten Bernie's attention. It got Max's

But history says Max was not in a position to negotiate and Bernie was still in a position to take his fees.