PDA

View Full Version : Cytosport set to return to the ALMS

SurfaceUnits
06-23-09, 10:59 AM
Cytosport set to return to the ALMS with an ex-Dyson Porsche RS Spyder

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/lemans-alms/

pchall
06-23-09, 07:46 PM
Will Porsche let them develop the car on their own or will they be stuck with Porsche engineers and techs watching everything? This was supposed to be a customer car program, remember? Most likely the latter since the car comes with factory favs for drivers... :shakehead

Trevor Longman
06-23-09, 08:03 PM
It doesn't sound like a full factory effort because they are only providing 1 factory driver, Sascha Maasen and he's only going to be testing the car and being the 3rd driver at Petit Le Mans. Other than that it seems like they're on their own.

extramundane
06-23-09, 08:34 PM
Will Porsche let them develop the car on their own or will they be stuck with Porsche engineers and techs watching everything? This was supposed to be a customer car program, remember? Most likely the latter since the car comes with factory favs for drivers... :shakehead

It's my understanding that the Porsche engineer is mandatory. Unless you're not interested in actually starting the car up.

But I suspect it'll all be moot, as Pickett will probably pull the plug shortly and erratically, just as he did on his previous ALMS & GA efforts. :rolleyes:

SurfaceUnits
06-25-09, 11:04 PM
ALMS: Audi eyes return in 2010, updates product plans for U.S.

Acura shouldn’t get too comfortable in the top class of the American Le Mans Series. Audi may be back full-time--perhaps as soon as 2010.

The juggernaut that won the LMP1 class championship nine straight years since 2000, and seven of last season’s 11 races, could return as soon as next season if it is financially and economically feasible, Johan de Nysschen, Audi of America president, told AutoWeek.

De Nysschen said the company “would like to” return to the ALMS. But Audi faces challenges in a down economy that has hurt nearly every other automaker in some way. Still, it is keeping its core racing crew around with an eye toward a potential return.

“The intention is to come back,” de Nysschen said. “We’re keeping the team active still.”

The company says its business is growing despite the industry’s troubles and that Audi is gaining market share in a down economy--set against the backdrop of the company’s centennial celebration.

To reinforce this, Audi will launch seven models this year: the A6, the Q5 3.2 Quattro, the Q7 TDI, the S4, the S5, the A5 and the A3 TDI.

The two TDI diesels are Audi’s first in the United States, and the A4, a volume seller, could be next, de Nysschen said. The powerplant also would fit in the A6, the A8 and the Q5.

Audi also is looking to raise its profile, after a splashy Super Bowl advertisement and heavy ads broadcast via television, the Web and print during President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Audi’s showroom traffic is up 8.4 percent this year, with Internet leads up 67 percent, propelling market share to 7.8 percent at the end of March. The company also notched a 13th straight year of profits in 2008.

Porsche has a LMP1 car already on a shaker rig. The Ferrari LMP car rumor won't go away. Audi will be back.

extramundane
06-26-09, 09:21 AM
Porsche has a LMP1 car already on a shaker rig. The Ferrari LMP car rumor won't go away. Audi will be back.

While #3 may be true, we've heard #1 for how many years now? And, of course, Ferrari actually built an Indy car, but we know how that worked out.

At any rate, even if all 3 of these were to be ready for Sebring 2010, it's meaningless unless the dolts in Georgia can figure out how not to hemorrhage money. I made an offhand comment last year about the ALMS reminding me of CART circa 2002. I usually like being right, but I'd love to be wrong on this one. :\

SurfaceUnits
06-27-09, 09:40 AM
Van Der Steur Return Highlights Lime Rock Entry
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-van-der-steur-entry-highlights-lime-rock-entry/

van der Steur Racing’s return to the American Le Mans Series’ grid and the second round of entries in the new Challenge class highlight the entry list for the American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix, set for July 17-18 at Lime Rock Park.

Gunnar van der Steur and Adam Pecorari will drive the Kumho-shod Radical SR9-AER in LMP2 at the 1.5-mile, 10-turn circuit. They will compete against both Acura (Lowe’s Fernandez Racing) and Mazda (Dyson Racing). The van der Steur/Pecorari pairing last drove together in 2007, and they were 10th overall at Lime Rock.

opinionated ow
06-27-09, 09:54 AM
Van Der Steur Return Highlights Lime Rock Entry
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-van-der-steur-entry-highlights-lime-rock-entry/

van der Steur Racing’s return to the American Le Mans Series’ grid and the second round of entries in the new Challenge class highlight the entry list for the American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix, set for July 17-18 at Lime Rock Park.

Gunnar van der Steur and Adam Pecorari will drive the Kumho-shod Radical SR9-AER in LMP2 at the 1.5-mile, 10-turn circuit. They will compete against both Acura (Lowe’s Fernandez Racing) and Mazda (Dyson Racing). The van der Steur/Pecorari pairing last drove together in 2007, and they were 10th overall at Lime Rock.

It looks like things are on the pick-up. :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
06-27-09, 10:04 AM
While #3 may be true, we've heard #1 for how many years now? \Egguote

It isn't a rumor. I was informed by people from Porsche Cars North America.

NismoZ
06-27-09, 05:25 PM

Trevor Longman
07-10-09, 08:59 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-christmas-comes-early-for-cytosport/

Testing at Sears Point. The article's a good read. A nice feel good story.

NismoZ
07-11-09, 08:56 AM
Nice story indeed. Been a Greg Pickett fan since his very early days. Same age!:thumbup: (I still think I look to be in better shape than the "old guy!")