PDA

View Full Version : Watching old (87) F1 races makes me appreciate how good Prost was!

Fio1
06-22-09, 12:41 AM
Check this out: http://www.justin.tv/f1_legends#from-12.49,June-21-2009

From Jerez in 1987. Watch the battle for second! What a scrap from 6 cars. Look how smart Prost is. He manages his tires better then all the others, only Mansell with active suspension has an edge. Link starts 1/2 way through the race and is valid for 7 days.

Enjoy.:cool:

Sean Malone
06-22-09, 08:23 AM
They don't call him 'The Professor' for nuthin'.

oddlycalm
06-22-09, 04:04 PM
Nice! One of my favorite F1 eras. Prost wasn't as dramatic as Senna but he got the job done often as not. The turbo era cars were hard seriously hard on tires.

oc

opinionated ow
06-22-09, 08:47 PM
Nice! One of my favorite F1 eras. Prost wasn't as dramatic as Senna but he got the job done often as not. The turbo era cars were hard seriously hard on tires.

oc

My father was always a Prost fan, he loved the way he would win at the slowest possible speed.

Gnam
06-22-09, 08:55 PM
My father was always a Prost fan, he loved the way he would win at the slowest possible speed.
So if he had Vettel's car yesterday, he wouldn't have streaked away from Rubens?

nissan gtp
06-22-09, 10:31 PM
So if he had Vettel's car yesterday, he wouldn't have streaked away from Rubens?

under today's rules, probably.

back when you got one set of tires and no refueling, Prost was the master of saving the car until it mattered -- and at the end he had something left to win the race

oddlycalm
06-23-09, 03:12 PM

Most races Prost's strategy was the same; maintain contact with the lead group, conserve the car and tires, wait for the leaders to a) crash, b) break, or c) drive the tires off the car, then be there at the end.

If you watch Valentino Rossi in MotoGP he does the same thing. That one is referred to as The Professor and the other The Doctor is no accident.

oc

mueber
06-23-09, 07:26 PM
Most races Prost's strategy was the same; maintain contact with the lead group, conserve the car and tires, wait for the leaders to a) crash, b) break, or c) drive the tires off the car, then be there at the end.

If you watch Valentino Rossi in MotoGP he does the same thing. That one is referred to as The Professor and the other The Doctor is no accident.

oc

Prost was my fav. at the time. I remember he was criticized for "letting the car do all the work." His response was, "I thought that was the idea."

Fio1
06-23-09, 11:02 PM

oc

I think this had to do with the fact that he used to drive for Renault. Virtually every race in 81 & 82 went as follows: Renault front row. Arnoux leading first 15 laps with Prost second. Arnoux breaks on lap 15, Prost leading until lap 30 when he slows with another mechanical issue....:\