PDA

View Full Version : IRL testing P2P

pchall
06-21-09, 07:36 AM
Power enhancer may be answer
By Curt Cavein
Posted: June 21, 2009

NEWTON, Iowa -- Honda officials don't have the answer to the IndyCar Series' passing problem on larger oval tracks, but they believe they have something to mask it. :laugh:

A power enhancer similar to the push-to-pass device used on the turbocharged engines in the Champ Car World Series has been offered to the Indy Racing League.
Advertisement

The system has been tested at several tracks, most recently last week by Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan at Chicagoland Speedway.

Dixon said it added 5 horsepower and 200 rpms at Chicagoland. :shakehead

"It works," said Dixon, the reigning series champion, Saturday at Iowa Speedway, site of today's Iowa Corn Indy 250. "It makes a half mile per hour per lap at Chicagoland."

Dixon compared the increase to how the European-based A1 Grand Prix Series utilizes such a system. In that series, engines typically operate at about 80 percent efficiency.

"And the push-to-pass gives a driver the last 20 percent," he said.

A Honda official said this device added a 5-mph burst during a test at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway, site of next week's race.:confused:

Hmmm, I'm no Rocket Doc, but I don't think 200 rpm and 5 hp will achieve that...

Methanolandbrats
06-21-09, 08:35 AM
Hmmm, I'm no Rocket Doc, but I don't think 200 rpm and 5 hp will achieve that... It's just enough to get ya into the car ahead of or next to you so you get a really good launch :thumbup:

Tim
06-21-09, 09:03 PM
They could call it CART and I still couldn't care less.