PDA

View Full Version : Laptop issues/questions

dando
06-17-09, 04:45 PM
OK, I had a BSOD experience to start off my week, followed by a non-responsive disk @ boot up. I ended reformatting the disk and reinstalling XP. I worked through some Dell driver issues, but the one issue I can't seem to resolve is getting the laptop to go into standby mode when I shut the lid. I've gone through the power management settings in Windoze and the Dell utility to no avail. I shut the lid and the display goes dark, the machine is still running when I came back later, and when I crack open the lid, the machine is dark and the display never comes back to life. It seems as if the OS is running properly, as I can hear some activity behind the darkness. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

EDIT: One thing I did notice is that under control pannel, the power management config has only one option for what to do after closing the lid: do nothing. So I'm wondering if I need to go in the services tool and disable the XP power management option (like I did for the wireless service for my card to work). :confused:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-30-09, 05:45 PM
OK, I had a BSOD experience to start off my week, followed by a non-responsive disk @ boot up. I ended reformatting the disk and reinstalling XP. I worked through some Dell driver issues, but the one issue I can't seem to resolve is getting the laptop to go into standby mode when I shut the lid. I've gone through the power management settings in Windoze and the Dell utility to no avail. I shut the lid and the display goes dark, the machine is still running when I came back later, and when I crack open the lid, the machine is dark and the display never comes back to life. It seems as if the OS is running properly, as I can hear some activity behind the darkness. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

EDIT: One thing I did notice is that under control pannel, the power management config has only one option for what to do after closing the lid: do nothing. So I'm wondering if I need to go in the services tool and disable the XP power management option (like I did for the wireless service for my card to work). :confused:

-Kevin

Did you figure this out? On both my Dell laptops, the power management functionality is unified. It just brings up the Windows power management with the usual array of drop downs for idle times, what to do, hibernate/standby/etc.

Cam
07-30-09, 08:06 PM
Is the power profile set to Portable/Laptop?

dando
07-30-09, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I ended up doing a few searches and downloaded some additional drivers that resolved that issue. However, I had another BSOD occurrence a few weeks later after I had rebuilt the laptop and had to start over again. Now the fun part is that the laptop has no sound. Device manager shows the NIC, video adapter and sound adapter as failed. :irked: Seems to be working fine other than no sound, which sucks when reading the Youtube thread. :gomer: Haven't had much time to investigate the latest issues this week. :(

-Kevin

Cam
07-30-09, 08:27 PM
Latest BIOS?

dando
07-30-09, 09:14 PM
Latest BIOS?

The BIOS was updated long ago before Dell quit updating it. Keep in mind that this thing is ~5 yo now. Sound, etc. worked great after the first reinstall, but failed after the second BSOD and subsequent drive failure. Otherwise it's working fine. Unfortunately I can't fine any drivers from Dell this time around....gots to be a Windoze or mobo issue. :irked: Modem, audio controller, ethernet and network controller are all failed. :saywhat:

-Kevin

KLang
07-31-09, 06:41 AM
If you are really seeing a 'drive failure' I don't think reinstalling the OS is the answer. Can you put a new hard drive in?

dando
07-31-09, 08:55 AM
If you are really seeing a 'drive failure' I don't think reinstalling the OS is the answer. Can you put a new hard drive in?

A new HD is an option, but I'm beginning to think it's a mobo failing. I've reinstalled XP twice on this thing, which has worked both times...just the Dell driver issues the first time and now the Windoze device driver issues have been problematic. :irked:

-Kevin

KLang
07-31-09, 09:14 AM
Time for a replacement? Do your part to help the ailing economy. ;)

dando
07-31-09, 09:46 AM
Time for a replacement? Do your part to help the ailing economy. ;)

I've been looking. :( I just did my part by buying $3K of tix for WDW for our next few trips. :) (Elmo needs to do the same. :)) Sad part is I can get a $500 laptop for 1/2 of what I bought this POS for 5 years ago.

Sadly, I think we just lost a DVR (ReplayTV) this AM, in addition to having a DLP TV and receiver repaired recently, and an amp for the whole house music system just went DOA. Oy vey. :(

-Kevin

cameraman
07-31-09, 10:02 AM
I just did my part by buying $3K of tix for WDW for our next few trips.
-Kevin

Three thousand dollars for Disney tickets???

dando
07-31-09, 10:52 AM
Three thousand dollars for Disney tickets???

Actually $3.5K for 20 days x 4 (no expiration tix)....on top of the ~$9K we just put into a DVC share. :eek: :)

It's a small world after all.... :)

-Kevin

cameraman
07-31-09, 01:12 PM
I guess you must like Disneyland.

A lot.

dando
07-31-09, 03:04 PM
I guess you must like Disneyland.

A lot.

Disney World. :) And yes we do. :)

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
07-31-09, 03:15 PM
can it be that the Disney tickets were jinx???

That dirty rat...