PDA

View Full Version : shipping question

stroker
06-12-09, 10:40 PM
Okay, so let's assume I'm doing a paper on shipping large quantities of stuff. "Stuff" in this situation ranges from light/bulky to heavy/dense. Let's assume I want access to reliable estimates of cost in $ per ton/mile or $ per volume (cubic foot or yard)/mile (or the metric equivalent) and compare:

Tractor Trailer
Freight train
Airliner
Ship

Anyone know where would I find a reference listing that sort of information?

:confused:

trish
06-12-09, 11:01 PM
Probably not what you want, but here goes.

http://www.aitworldwide.com/

On the other hand, I just noticed a tools and resources link that might be what you want at the bottom of the page.

Nevermind. :o

Dvdb
06-12-09, 11:44 PM
Try the internet

:D

cameraman
06-13-09, 12:16 AM
The pricing is usually confidential, you tell them what you want to ship and they give you a quote. I've never seen a posted price list at any shipper beyond the post office.

stroker
06-13-09, 08:51 AM
The pricing is usually confidential, you tell them what you want to ship and they give you a quote. I've never seen a posted price list at any shipper beyond the post office.

I'm talking numbers as an industry average. For example, I've seen references to ships being able to get cargo from China to LA for literally pennies per ton/mile.

Indy
06-13-09, 08:55 AM
Shipping Costs:

Airliner - Worst
Tractor Trailer - Pretty Bad
Freight train - Pretty Good
Ship - Best

There you go. :gomer:

Steve99
06-13-09, 02:37 PM
Ship - Best

Depending on where you're trying to go. :)

ChampcarShark
06-15-09, 01:42 PM
A quick call to the local trailer companies may be able to help you.

But yes, you need to be very specific as to what is it that you are shipping and where it is going. There are no general rules or fares.

Also if you are shipping LTL, less than truck load, TL, truck load, Air, Land, Rail, Sea, Hazardous Cargo, like chemicals, light material, and so on.

Al Czervik
06-15-09, 09:02 PM
FWIW, you shouldn't pay anywhere close to the 'standard' rates if shipping LTL. We ship LTL every day, and our discount is usually 45 - 55%. Size v. weight is also an important factor - a full trailer of feathers will cost as much as 40,000 lbs of lead.