PDA

View Full Version : Cosworth back in 2010

pchall
06-12-09, 07:25 AM
With the surprising announcement that the three new F1 teams for 2010 to be Team USF1, Campos Grand Prix, and Manor Grand Prix comes the news that Cosworth will supply engines to all three teams.

condensed from crash.net (http://www.crash.net/Formula+One/News/148187/1/cosworth_confirms_three-team_return.html)

F1 ยป Cosworth confirms three-team return

The Cosworth name will return in force to Formula One next season, following confirmation that the three newcomers on the 2010 entry list will all use the company's bespoke V8 powerplant.

An identical package comprising high-performance Cosworth engines and technical support will be provided for Campos Grand Prix, Manor Grand Prix and Team US F1 for a period of three years following their successful acceptance by the FIA for the expansion slots made available in the 2010 field...

The CA2006 engine raced by Williams in 2006 was competitive from the outset and achieved an F1 landmark of 20,000rpm during qualifying for its race debut at the 2006 Bahrain GP. The CA2006 Series 6 was capable of completing more than a third of a race distance at 20,000rpm - a record unequaled to this day.

So much for the zombie teams "Lotus", "Brabham", and "March"... I wonder why Prodrive and Lola got shut out?

Max and Bernie move in mysterious ways. I think this is part of the cost containment plan since the Cosworth press release says:

The Cosworth engine will be supplied to conform to the FIA regulations mandated for the 2010 F1 season, which seek to deliver a sound basis for the continuation of Formula 1 in a sustainable manner.

extramundane
06-12-09, 08:17 AM
I wonder why Prodrive and Lola got shut out?

In Prodrive's case, they probably figured Dave Richards was one whiny bitch too many in the paddock.

As for the 3 newcomers, call me crazy, but I'll be shocked if all 3 materialize and run the full season.

STD
06-12-09, 10:51 AM
I'll not be shocked with all three never turning a wheel connected to an actual car.

Sean Malone
06-12-09, 11:26 AM
In Prodrive's case, they probably figured Dave Richards was one whiny bitch too many in the paddock.

As for the 3 newcomers, call me crazy, but I'll be shocked if all 3 materialize and run the full season.

I suspect the new 3's plans were contingent on B&E's new tier package. If that falls out, so do they.