PDA

View Full Version : "Lotus" back in 2010"

pchall
06-07-09, 11:42 AM
Gag me with a spoon.

F1 »

Lotus to make F1 comeback with Gascoyne, Herbert

Lotus could be set to return to the grand prix grid in 2010 after it has emerged that – much like Formtech with Brabham – Litespeed GP has purchased the rights to one of the most iconic names in Formula 1 history and its fourth-most successful constructor of all time to enter a team in the top flight's new 'low-cost', budget-capped era.

Sean Malone
06-08-09, 08:08 AM
:\

oddlycalm
06-08-09, 03:50 PM
Gag me with a spoon.

How about lets hope somebody gags Gascoyne and Herbert with something more effective than a spoon. :\

All the fringe players would give "F1 circus" new meaning. Bring on the clown cars...

oc

FCYTravis
06-09-09, 03:04 AM
All the fringe players would give "F1 circus" new meaning. Bring on the clown cars...
Why?

This all sounds like back to the era of the 1970s, when just about anyone could slap together a car, buy a competitive customer Cosworth and go racing. I don't see what was so wrong with that.

opinionated ow
06-09-09, 07:15 AM
Why?

This all sounds like back to the era of the 1970s, when just about anyone could slap together a car, buy a competitive customer Cosworth and go racing. I don't see what was so wrong with that.

In that case abolish the "approved entry list." Do that, open up the bloody rules again and I'd be very much interested. Ferrari or not.

pchall
06-09-09, 07:23 AM
Max Mosely probably already has ball gags in team liveries for everbody in the circus.

How about lets hope somebody gags Gascoyne and Herbert with something more effective than a spoon. :\

oddlycalm
06-09-09, 09:42 PM
Why?

The 1970's didn't have two tiers of technical regulations. It didn't have teams named Auto Union, Bugatti or Mercedes that had zero connection to the companies that made those names famous in moto racing. I'm all for a return to a more egalitarian F1 but not one based on idiotic rule making and phony names.

The FIA rule making has done nothing but drive costs up rather than down. We need KERS not at all and we need wholesale arbitrary technical specification changes not at all. After designing ground up new cars for 2009 the FIA is going to force the teams to do the same again for 2010. How does either that or KERS save money?

Just because it's possible to buy the name Lotus or Brabham doesn't mean it's right to do it. It's only natural to question the wisdom of those behind it and fair to refer to them as clowns IMO.

Regardless of whether money ever gets saved by the teams you've still got the problem of the debt service on the big money that went into Bernie's pocket. The cost of a race ticket is absurd and would seem even more so if the big name teams weren't involved. Bernie and his partners are planning to raise the fee to $40 million for 2011 so those 1970's race ticket prices aren't going to make an appearance any time soon either.

oc

Michaelhatesfans
06-09-09, 09:46 PM
:laugh:

I thought I felt a series of tremors earlier, but I think it was just the reverb from OC's typing.

:laugh::thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
06-09-09, 10:32 PM
The 1970's didn't have two tiers of technical regulations. It didn't have teams named Auto Union, Bugatti or Mercedes that had zero connection to the companies that made those names famous in moto racing. I'm all for a return to a more egalitarian F1 but not one based on idiotic rule making and phony names.

The FIA rule making has done nothing but drive costs up rather than down. We need KERS not at all and we need wholesale arbitrary technical specification changes not at all. After designing ground up new cars for 2009 the FIA is going to force the teams to do the same again for 2010. How does either that or KERS save money?

Just because it's possible to buy the name Lotus or Brabham doesn't mean it's right to do it. It's only natural to question the wisdom of those behind it and fair to refer to them as clowns IMO.

Regardless of whether money ever gets saved by the teams you've still got the problem of the debt service on the big money that went into Bernie's pocket. The cost of a race ticket is absurd and would seem even more so if the big name teams weren't involved. Bernie and his partners are planning to raise the fee to $40 million for 2011 so those 1970's race ticket prices aren't going to make an appearance any time soon either.

ocYup. All they had to do to save money and promote close racing was freeze the rules two years ago. The "racing" was fine and that would have allowed the mid-pack teams a little time to catch up. Then they could have introduced incremental changes. Instead Max had a vision while balls-deep in Nazi Hookers while Bernie, the greedy little prick, prowled the Globe in search of paydays despite the negative impact on fans, tracks and the integrity of the sport. Now it's too late. They borrowed a page from FTG's playbook and burned decades of development to the ground in one year. :mad:

FCYTravis
06-10-09, 01:22 PM
I'm all for a return to a more egalitarian F1 but not one based on idiotic rule making and phony names.
No disagreement there. That's 100% assclown stupidity.

dando
06-10-09, 01:35 PM
http://www.acraftphoto.com/blogger/2007/2007.12.08.xmasparade.248.jpg

:gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

Sean Malone
06-10-09, 02:25 PM
So many Willy T Ribs jokes...I can't choose. :cry:

Methanolandbrats
06-10-09, 10:57 PM
http://www.acraftphoto.com/blogger/2007/2007.12.08.xmasparade.248.jpg

:gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin WTF is that :saywhat::saywhat:

pchall
06-11-09, 01:03 AM
WTF is that :saywhat::saywhat:

Lewis Hamilton's Shriners' Precision Driving Team in a Christmas parade.

emjaya
09-08-09, 09:00 AM
It's still a happening thing...

A consortium backed by the Malaysian government is pushing hard for Lotus to beat BMW Sauber to the final slot in next year's Formula 1 world championship, AUTOSPORT has learned.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78284

And

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21785.html

Dvdb
09-09-09, 12:10 AM
I'm buying Ligier, who's in?

Michaelhatesfans
09-09-09, 02:14 AM
I'm buying Ligier, who's in?

Crap, I wanted that one. Fine, I'll take Shadow.

opinionated ow
09-09-09, 03:39 AM
Crap, I wanted that one. Fine, I'll take Shadow.

Bugger that...I'm after Leyton House.

extramundane
09-09-09, 09:05 AM
If any of you had any marbles, you'd go for Life or Andrea Moda. :gomer:

STD
09-09-09, 09:40 AM
Before dipping into Andrea Moda one must get some Coloni. :rofl:

Now father and son...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78413

Easy
09-09-09, 01:07 PM
If any of you had any marbles, you'd go for Life or Andrea Moda. :gomer:

:rofl:

I don't have the uh, "business acumen" to go for Andrea Moda. Is that dude still in the clink?

From his wiki :D

Sasseti was often surrounded by controversy. During 1992 a suspected case of arson destroyed Sassetti's discothèque on the east coast of Italy, and as he fled from the flames, a gunman shot at him, but missed. Later the same year he was arrested by Belgian police on allegations of fraud.

Michaelhatesfans
09-09-09, 03:31 PM
...one must get some Coloni. :rofl:

Not if it's still bolted to that Subaru.

emjaya
09-09-09, 04:59 PM
:rofl:

I don't have the uh, "business acumen" to go for Andrea Moda. Is that dude still in the clink?

From his wiki :D

Sasseti was often surrounded by controversy. During 1992 a suspected case of arson destroyed Sassetti's discothèque on the east coast of Italy, and as he fled from the flames, a gunman shot at him, but missed. Later the same year he was arrested by Belgian police on allegations of fraud.

Fraud must be a prerequisite for aspiring F1 owners.

From the Leyton House Racing wiki:

In September 1991, team owner Akira Akagi was implicated in a financial scandal involving the Fuji Bank and was arrested.

STD
09-09-09, 05:15 PM
Not if it's still bolted to that Subaru.

Sassetti missed out on that lump when he bought the Coloni C4 chassis' in 92 as Enzo had, had enough of F1. His thinking was he could get around the $100,000 new team guarantee FOCA had just put in place.
Too bad he wasn't smart enough to know making the entry as Andrea Moda put that brilliant thought to an end.
Not only did he have to pay the money but also had to build his own chassis before being allowed to play.
Caffi and Bertaggia jumped ship and were replaced by Moreno and Perry McCarthy.

opinionated ow
09-09-09, 08:13 PM
Sassetti missed out on that lump when he bought the Coloni C4 chassis' in 92 as Enzo had, had enough of F1. His thinking was he could get around the $100,000 new team guarantee FOCA had just put in place.
Too bad he wasn't smart enough to know making the entry as Andrea Moda put that brilliant thought to an end.
Not only did he have to pay the money but also had to build his own chassis before being allowed to play.
Caffi and Bertaggia jumped ship and were replaced by Moreno and The Stig.

Edited for factual reasons :p

Easy
09-09-09, 11:13 PM
Was it Leyton House that also got popped smuggling blow in their transporters?

Easy
09-09-09, 11:15 PM
Was it Leyton House that also got popped smuggling blow in their transporters?

Perry McCarthy's account of his time at Andrea Moda is amusing.

pchall
09-09-09, 11:32 PM
If "Lotus" makes it to the grid 2010 it should be in the Gold Leaf Team Cannabis livery, 'cause somebody is smokin' some really good stuff.

http://grandprixinsider.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/jim-clark-gold-leaf-team-lotus-49t-lady-wigram-trophy-20-jan-1968.jpg

NZ Jan. 1968 Lady Wigram Trophy race. Jim Clark

cameraman
09-15-09, 12:34 PM
Well it is all official now. Lotus is the 13th team and Sauber is the 14th, as in if one of the teams disappears Sauber will get the spot. That's soooo helpful:shakehead Although
In addition, the FIA believes that a good case can be made for expanding the grid to 14 teams. The FIA will be consulting urgently with the existing teams regarding the introduction of an appropriate rule change to expand the grid to 28 cars in time for the first Grand Prix in 2010.

Especially considering that BMW just sold the team to Qadbak Investments Ltd, a Swiss-based foundation which represents the interests of certain Middle East and European based families. The contract was signed today. Qadbak´s interest in the team will be represented by Lionel Fischer, a Swiss national.

The Lotus team will be temporarily working out of the old Bentley LMS shop in England before they move everything to Sepang:eek:

Steve99
09-15-09, 02:50 PM
That's soooo helpful:shakehead
With 4 teams just starting, Toyota's lack of a budget, and Renault's trouble, it seems likely that "Sauber" will have a chance to race.