PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Flashback

Methanolandbrats
06-04-09, 10:26 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75796

Cart/IRL all over again ...........existing sanctioning body with new teams tells existing teams who are unhappy with rules to start a new series.:saywhat:

STD
06-04-09, 10:59 AM
The only question remaining is how low can Max take F1.
Next it will be a mandatory spec series with leftover Cosworth power because of the need for the scraped together "teams" to have a chance to field a few cars in 2010.
What a useless pile.

Sean Malone
06-04-09, 11:44 AM
At the risk of defending Max et al, he has no choice but to play hardball. If the peasants are allowed to storm the castle...

JLMannin
06-04-09, 11:49 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75796

Cart/IRL all over again ...........existing sanctioning body with new teams tells existing teams who are unhappy with rules to start a new series.:saywhat:

OK, so this is splitting hairs here, but this is more like 1979, in my opinion. That being said, I cannot foresee this ending well at all . . . . .

dando
06-04-09, 12:22 PM
Isn't Max supposed to be gone by now? :confused: :shakehead

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
06-04-09, 12:24 PM
NASCAR to Monaco.

extramundane
06-04-09, 12:48 PM
NASCAR to Monaco.

Guess that means Chebby's gotta resurrect the Monte Carlo again?

Gnam
06-04-09, 02:09 PM
from autosport article:

With a whole host of new teams having submitted entries to next year's championship, there are no shortage of competitors who can fill the grid if current teams do not wish to compete.

18 is just a number, and Dale Coyne to F1?

Mo' money, mo' problems.

oddlycalm
06-04-09, 03:45 PM
OK, so this is splitting hairs here, but this is more like 1979, in my opinion. That being said, I cannot foresee this ending well at all . . . . .

Agreed, it's going to end very poorly. The teams are facing having to lay off 50%-75% of their staff, many that have been with them for a very long time. Either there is going to be enough highly skilled unemployed personnel to run a top tier racing series or there will be a new top tier series. Max has outflanked them with the number of new team applications so I don't see him backing down.

I really don't see the teams wanting to establish, promote and administer their own separate series. Part of me would like to see them all agree to go sports car racing and let Max and Bernie face the race promoters with a cast of nobodies. My guess is there would soon be a lot fewer Asian races.

oc

Sean Malone
06-04-09, 10:01 PM
Agreed, it's going to end very poorly. The teams are facing having to lay off 50%-75% of their staff, .;..

oc

I agree with you, but hasn't Brawn been proving that you don't need 350 employees to run an F1 team?

miatanut
06-04-09, 11:09 PM
Agreed, it's going to end very poorly. The teams are facing having to lay off 50%-75% of their staff, many that have been with them for a very long time.

They have a choice to go the capped route or the unlimited route. The last I've seen is the capped route hasn't been worked out in minute detail, so why is it taken as a given that a capped car will be faster than an unlimited car?

Even if it is, Max is doing them a favor, because they've all been complaining about costs, and this method both reduces costs and brings back a little much-needed room for innovation to F1.

chop456
06-05-09, 01:27 AM
An application does not a team make. Be optomistic - Max is old and has lots of enemies.

devilmaster
06-05-09, 01:44 PM
NASCAR to Monaco.

What a great concept for the memorial day weekend.

A true multi-faceted race. Race monaco, then fly to Indy, race there, and then fly to Charlotte and race there. Motorsports version of the triathalon.

;)

oddlycalm
06-05-09, 03:38 PM
I agree with you, but hasn't Brawn been proving that you don't need 350 employees to run an F1 team?

Brawn has proven that once the car is produced it doesn't take 350 employees to campaign it and keep it updated. We won't know if they can produce a competitive car from scratch to a new set of tech regs until that happens as they had a full staff when they produced the current car.

oc

STD
06-05-09, 10:21 PM
They also were fully funded up till the time the ownership was transfered this year. 300 million plus.
That would pretty mean much all of last year's budget, (plus the 2009 Honda budget that was kept in place up till the transfer) manpower and technology went to this year's Brawn. Ron did a nice job with it.
It wasn't until after the second race, this year, that the team laid off staff.

EVL29
06-07-09, 04:14 PM
Max has outflanked them with the number of new team applications so I don't see him backing down.

oc

Of the 10 or so "teams" that have applied for a spot on the 2010 F1 grid,only two(Lola and Prodrive)aren't complete vaporware.

And Prodrive has already stated that they will feed off an existing team for chassis and engine.,most likely McLaren/Mercedes,who would probably go with the FOTA series.

So Max has Lola....if they can find the 40 million pounds....to run an earl-ized F1. No problem.

gurneyfan
06-07-09, 06:16 PM
Agreed, it's going to end very poorly. The teams are facing having to lay off 50%-75% of their staff, many that have been with them for a very long time.
oc

Not necessarily. Many teams such as Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Renault could put together LeMans teams and get additional exposure for the same money.

Also the three new teams are going to need experienced staff.

Many of the existing teams have been complaining that the cost of F1 had gotten out of hand.

Seems like the real problem now is that they don't want the new teams to get in on the cheap.

It underlies most of their comments, especially Briatore's.

stroker
06-07-09, 07:33 PM
Well, it's put up or shut up time for most of us. We've been complaining of Max and Bernie for years and now that we've got a potential alternative there's some hand-wringing going on. Screw that. I say full speed ahead and let's see what the Big Five can come up with. I'm tired of B&M screwing over longtime venues with strongarm tactics and capricious rule changes for the series. I never hear about either B OR M having any serious skin in the game--but I hear a lot about them making tons of dough. Screw 'em. Bring on the new series at the tracks that deserve it.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-09, 10:24 PM
Well, it's put up or shut up time for most of us. We've been complaining of Max and Bernie for years and now that we've got a potential alternative there's some hand-wringing going on. Screw that. I say full speed ahead and let's see what the Big Five can come up with. I'm tired of B&M screwing over longtime venues with strongarm tactics and capricious rule changes for the series. I never hear about either B OR M having any serious skin in the game--but I hear a lot about them making tons of dough. Screw 'em. Bring on the new series at the tracks that deserve it. Yup, start all over. :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
06-12-09, 10:13 AM
With the prospect of Hamilton and Button not being in F1 next year, it's a good thing no one risked a kazillion dollars to get the F1 race away from Silverstone or anything.

:\

oddlycalm
06-14-09, 06:15 PM
Well, it's put up or shut up time for most of us.
They have to do whatever is necessary to get rid of Bernie and Max IMO. Max is costing the sport a fortune with each new brainfart and Bernie is running it off a cliff trying to squeeze every last penny out of it. It's unsustainable.

oc

NismoZ
06-15-09, 10:40 AM
So, no Lola or Prodrive..."vaporware" wins out?:rofl: Crap, throw 'em all in. 34 car fields, lots of passing!:gomer:

EVL29
06-15-09, 08:33 PM
Campos is allied with Dallara so at least there are resources to build a chassis....if Campos finds the money.

Manor is paired with Wirth Research(Nick Wirth((Simtek))is an old business partner of Max),and while Wirth has the technical know-how to build an F1 car,does he have the facilities?

Lola and Campos,plus USGPE, might have been the best bets,if'n they find the euros.

opinionated ow
06-15-09, 08:56 PM
So, no Lola or Prodrive..."vaporware" wins out?:rofl: Crap, throw 'em all in. 34 car fields, lots of passing!:gomer:

Those two should have been guaranteed entries. But I agree-just thrown them all in. There shouldn't be a limit on Formula One entries!

extramundane
06-15-09, 09:15 PM
Manor is paired with Wirth Research(Nick Wirth((Simtek))is an old business partner of Max),and while Wirth has the technical know-how to build an F1 car,does he have the facilities?

Yep. Wirth's behind the Acura LMP cars the last couple of years...seems to have quite a nice setup available.